My apologies if I sound angry. I feel like I'm talking to a void. -- Avery Pennarun

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

SubjectAuthor
* No Gmail in Mac MailColour Sergeant Bourne
`* No Gmail in Mac MailPercival John Hackworth
 +* No Gmail in Mac MailWolfFan
 |`* No Gmail in Mac MailColour Sergeant Bourne
 | `* No Gmail in Mac MailYour Name
 |  `- No Gmail in Mac MailColour Sergeant Bourne
 `- No Gmail in Mac MailColour Sergeant Bourne

1
No Gmail in Mac Mail

<umhmv9$bfc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17800&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17800

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: No Gmail in Mac Mail
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 12:30:16 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:30 UTC

I changed one of my Gmail account passwords on the Google website and
updated it successfully on iOS mail apps on an iPhone and 2 iPads.

But I can't update it on Mac Mail accounts on both a fully updated
Macbook and an iMac. The account worked correctly before the password
change and other Gmail accounts on the Macs continue to work fine.

When I try to use the account, I'm asked for the new password which I
correctly enter-- but it repeatedly goes to the following Google error
message:

"400. That's an error.

The server cannot process the request because it it malformed. It should
not be retried. That's all we know."

What the hey??

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

<kv3p43Fi2l9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17803&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17803

From: pjh@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail
Date: 27 Dec 2023 23:08:52 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 23:08 UTC

On Dec 27, 2023 at 9:30:16 AM PST, "Colour Sergeant Bourne" <bourne@rorke.za>
wrote:

> I changed one of my Gmail account passwords on the Google website and
> updated it successfully on iOS mail apps on an iPhone and 2 iPads.
>
> But I can't update it on Mac Mail accounts on both a fully updated
> Macbook and an iMac. The account worked correctly before the password
> change and other Gmail accounts on the Macs continue to work fine.
>
> When I try to use the account, I'm asked for the new password which I
> correctly enter-- but it repeatedly goes to the following Google error
> message:
>
> "400. That's an error.
>
> The server cannot process the request because it it malformed. It should
> not be retried. That's all we know."
>
> What the hey??

Usually when I have browser problems, tech support asks me to "clear my cache"
on MacOS. Try that.

If that doesn't work, try resetting the password in Chrome's Incognito mode on
MacOS (or Firefox Private mode).

Also, try changing the password using a different browser from the one that's
on iOS.

These are just SWAGs. Let us know if any of them worked.

Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

<0001HW.2B3CFA0D00C12B4C70000819C38F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17805&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17805

From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:34:21 -0500
 by: WolfFan - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:34 UTC

On Dec 27, 2023, Percival John Hackworth wrote
(in article <kv3p43Fi2l9U1@mid.individual.net>):

> On Dec 27, 2023 at 9:30:16 AM PST, "Colour Sergeant Bourne"<bourne@rorke.za>
> wrote:
>
> > I changed one of my Gmail account passwords on the Google website and
> > updated it successfully on iOS mail apps on an iPhone and 2 iPads.
> >
> > But I can't update it on Mac Mail accounts on both a fully updated
> > Macbook and an iMac. The account worked correctly before the password
> > change and other Gmail accounts on the Macs continue to work fine.
> >
> > When I try to use the account, I'm asked for the new password which I
> > correctly enter-- but it repeatedly goes to the following Google error
> > message:
> >
> > "400. That's an error.
> >
> > The server cannot process the request because it it malformed. It should
> > not be retried. That's all we know."
> >
> > What the hey??
>
> Usually when I have browser problems, tech support asks me to "clear my cache"
> on MacOS. Try that.

I have never, ever, seen clearing the caches fix any browser problem. Not
even once.

What I would try is to make sure that I have a COMPLETE backup of all mail in
that account, then kill the account, ONLY ON THE MAC AND ONLY IN MAIL, and
set up the account again from scratch.

I suspect that Google is being Google.

This might be a good time to look for a different email provider.

> If that doesn't work, try resetting the password in Chrome's Incognito mode on
> MacOS (or Firefox Private mode).
>
> Also, try changing the password using a different browser from the one that's
> on iOS.
>
> These are just SWAGs. Let us know if any of them worked.

Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

<umijtb$46eo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17807&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17807

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:44:11 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 01:44 UTC

On 12/27/23 6:08 PM, Percival John Hackworth wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2023 at 9:30:16 AM PST, "Colour Sergeant Bourne" <bourne@rorke.za>
> wrote:
>
>> I changed one of my Gmail account passwords on the Google website and
>> updated it successfully on iOS mail apps on an iPhone and 2 iPads.
>>
>> But I can't update it on Mac Mail accounts on both a fully updated
>> Macbook and an iMac. The account worked correctly before the password
>> change and other Gmail accounts on the Macs continue to work fine.
>>
>> When I try to use the account, I'm asked for the new password which I

>> correctly enter-- but it repeatedly goes to the following Google error
>> message:
>>
>> "400. That's an error.
>>
>> The server cannot process the request because it it malformed. It should
>> not be retried. That's all we know."
>>
>> What the hey??
>
> Usually when I have browser problems, tech support asks me to "clear my cache"
> on MacOS. Try that.
>
> If that doesn't work, try resetting the password in Chrome's Incognito mode on
> MacOS (or Firefox Private mode).
>
> Also, try changing the password using a different browser from the one that's
> on iOS.
>
> These are just SWAGs. Let us know if any of them worked.

Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

<umik6h$46eo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17808&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17808

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:49:05 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 01:49 UTC

On 12/27/23 7:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2023, Percival John Hackworth wrote
> (in article <kv3p43Fi2l9U1@mid.individual.net>):
>
>> On Dec 27, 2023 at 9:30:16 AM PST, "Colour Sergeant Bourne"<bourne@rorke.za>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I changed one of my Gmail account passwords on the Google website and
>>> updated it successfully on iOS mail apps on an iPhone and 2 iPads.
>>>
>>> But I can't update it on Mac Mail accounts on both a fully updated
>>> Macbook and an iMac. The account worked correctly before the password
>>> change and other Gmail accounts on the Macs continue to work fine.
>>>
>>> When I try to use the account, I'm asked for the new password which I
>>> correctly enter-- but it repeatedly goes to the following Google error
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "400. That's an error.
>>>
>>> The server cannot process the request because it it malformed. It should
>>> not be retried. That's all we know."
>>>
>>> What the hey??
>>
>> Usually when I have browser problems, tech support asks me to "clear my cache"
>> on MacOS. Try that.
>
> I have never, ever, seen clearing the caches fix any browser problem. Not
> even once.
>
> What I would try is to make sure that I have a COMPLETE backup of all mail in
> that account, then kill the account, ONLY ON THE MAC AND ONLY IN MAIL, and
> set up the account again from scratch.
>
> I suspect that Google is being Google.
>
> This might be a good time to look for a different email provider.
>>

>> If that doesn't work, try resetting the password in Chrome's Incognito mode on
>> MacOS (or Firefox Private mode).
>>
>> Also, try changing the password using a different browser from the one that's
>> on iOS.
>>
>> These are just SWAGs. Let us know if any of them worked.

I deleted the account on a Macbook and tried to set it up again but I
got the exact same error messages. Thne account wouldn't set up.

Interestingly, there was no problem with the updated password on two
BlueMail accounts-- one on Windows 11 and one on a Chromebook.

Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

<umir4m$8qps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17809&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17809

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:47:34 +1300
 by: Your Name - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

On 2023-12-28 01:49:05 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:
> On 12/27/23 7:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>> On Dec 27, 2023, Percival John Hackworth wrote
>> (in article <kv3p43Fi2l9U1@mid.individual.net>):

>>> Usually when I have browser problems, tech support asks me to "clear my
>>> cache" on MacOS. Try that.
>>
>> I have never, ever, seen clearing the caches fix any browser problem. Not
>> even once.
>>
>> What I would try is to make sure that I have a COMPLETE backup of all
>> mail in that account, then kill the account, ONLY ON THE MAC AND ONLY
>> IN MAIL, and set up the account again from scratch.
>>
>> I suspect that Google is being Google.
>>
>> This might be a good time to look for a different email provider.
>>>

>>> If that doesn't work, try resetting the password in Chrome's Incognito
>>> mode on MacOS (or Firefox Private mode).
>>>
>>> Also, try changing the password using a different browser from the one
>>> that's on iOS.
>>>
>>> These are just SWAGs. Let us know if any of them worked.
>>
> I deleted the account on a Macbook and tried to set it up again but I
> got the exact same error messages. Thne account wouldn't set up.
>
> Interestingly, there was no problem with the updated password on two
> BlueMail accounts-- one on Windows 11 and one on a Chromebook.

For some people it seems to be an issue with Safari, if you are using
that web browser, rather than Mail. Try chhanging the Mac's System
Preferences / Settings to use a different web browser as the default
one (Chrome, Firefox, Brave, etc.), then setting up your Gmail account
in Mail. Hopefully that will allow the set-up to be authenticated and
once done you should be able to switch back to using Safari as the
default web browser.

Re: No Gmail in Mac Mail

<ummkk4$rr9a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17817&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17817

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 09:20:52 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 14:20 UTC

On 12/27/23 10:47 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-12-28 01:49:05 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:
>> On 12/27/23 7:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>>> On Dec 27, 2023, Percival John Hackworth wrote
>>> (in article <kv3p43Fi2l9U1@mid.individual.net>):

>>> I have never, ever, seen clearing the caches fix any browser problem.
>>> Not
>>> even once.
>>>
>>> What I would try is to make sure that I have a COMPLETE backup of all
>>> mail in that account, then kill the account, ONLY ON THE MAC AND ONLY
>>> IN MAIL, and set up the account again from scratch.
>>>
>>> I suspect that Google is being Google.
>>>
>>> This might be a good time to look for a different email provider.

>> I deleted the account on a Macbook and tried to set it up again but I
>> got the exact same error messages. Thne account wouldn't set up.
>>
>> Interestingly, there was no problem with the updated password on two
>> BlueMail accounts-- one on Windows 11 and one on a Chromebook.
>
> For some people it seems to be an issue with Safari, if you are using
> that web browser, rather than Mail. Try chhanging the Mac's System
> Preferences / Settings to use a different web browser as the default one
> (Chrome, Firefox, Brave, etc.), then setting up your Gmail account in
> Mail. Hopefully that will allow the set-up to be authenticated and once
> done you should be able to switch back to using Safari as the default
> web browser.

You the man!

That did it-- set Chrome as default browser and the account added properly.

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.