Cobol programmers are down in the dumps.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

SubjectAuthor
* Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicAthel Cornish-Bowden
+- Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicAlan Browne
+* Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicJolly Roger
|`* Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicAthel Cornish-Bowden
| +* Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicJolly Roger
| |`- Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicAthel Cornish-Bowden
| `* Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicYour Name
|  `- Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicYour Name
`* Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicYour Name
 `- Early Macbook Air that can run ClassicAlan Browne

1
Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<kv8gtbFfgqlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17821&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17821

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 19:19:23 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 18:19 UTC

I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still
use from time to time. Probably it could be converted to a newer Pascal
that would run under OS X, but I'm too old (80) to learn how to do
that. I currently use an older portable that runs Classic, but (1) it's
heavy; (2) its battery refuses to charge, so I need to have it plugged
in whenever I use it; (3) I suspect that it's nearing the end of its
life. My recollection is that the original Air could run Classic, and
so I'd like the newest model that exists and can run Classic. Buying an
unused one is probably impossible, but probably used ones can be found,
and my computer shop could possibly find one. Any suggestions?

--
Athel cb

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<_DEjN.38896$24ld.20168@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17823&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17823

Subject: Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 13:56:57 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 18:56 UTC

On 2023-12-29 13:19, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
> Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still use
> from time to time. Probably it could be converted to a newer Pascal that
> would run under OS X, but I'm too old (80) to learn how to do that. I
> currently use an older portable that runs Classic, but (1) it's heavy;
> (2) its battery refuses to charge, so I need to have it plugged in
> whenever I use it; (3) I suspect that it's nearing the end of its life.
> My recollection is that the original Air could run Classic, and so I'd
> like the newest model that exists and can run Classic. Buying an unused
> one is probably impossible, but probably used ones can be found, and my
> computer shop could possibly find one. Any suggestions?

Can't reply to your specific need, however freepascal (fpc) has a
classic Mac compatibility switch so could likely compile your code w/o
issue or at most some minor tweaks:

$ fpc -Mmacpas program

Installing fpc requires you first install Apple's XCode Line Command
Tools - this can be done pretty easily using a few command line
instructions. Not needed if the XCode app is installed.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<kv8rhuFh41sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17828&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17828

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 29 Dec 2023 21:21:03 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 21:21 UTC

On 2023-12-29, Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
> Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still
> use from time to time.

Why not just run it in SheepShaver or Basilisk? That's what I do for
such software.

JR

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<umnfpi$vr7b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17829&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17829

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 11:04:34 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 22:04 UTC

On 2023-12-29 18:19:23 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:

> I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
> Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still
> use from time to time. Probably it could be converted to a newer Pascal
> that would run under OS X, but I'm too old (80) to learn how to do
> that. I currently use an older portable that runs Classic, but (1) it's
> heavy; (2) its battery refuses to charge, so I need to have it plugged
> in whenever I use it; (3) I suspect that it's nearing the end of its
> life. My recollection is that the original Air could run Classic, and
> so I'd like the newest model that exists and can run Classic. Buying an
> unused one is probably impossible, but probably used ones can be found,
> and my computer shop could possibly find one. Any suggestions?

None of the MacBook Air models can officially run the Classic
environment. The very first MacBook Air shipped with MacOS X Leopard /
10.5, which was also the version to stop support for Classic. You would
have to get something older than 2008 ... and at approaching 20 years
old, may not last much longer either.

The old Classic environment is more user-friendly, but you could buy a
new(er) Mac and then run the old Classic program under emulation using
Sheepshaver - which is likely to be much faster than using Classic as
well. You just need to make sure you've got plenty of storage disk
space (internal or external) to be able to have the two versions of
MacOS installed.

Think Pascal was great, but unfortunately got killed off by Symantec,
so doesn't work with MacOS X. At best, you would have to import the old
program's source code into a different version of Pascal and tweak it
to work with that and the new MacOS ... or re-write the entire program
in Swift (the current preferred programming language for MacOS) or a
third-party programming language (C, BASIC, etc. or maybe in the
FileMaker Pro database program depending on what the program does).

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<qDHjN.15725$9cLc.12384@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17833&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17833

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 17:21:10 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 22:21 UTC

On 2023-12-29 17:04, Your Name wrote:

> Think Pascal was great, but unfortunately got killed off by Symantec, so
> doesn't work with MacOS X.

THINK Pascal may not be alive, but it can be compiled with fpc for Mac
OS as described in my reply to the gent.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<kva1f9FnpilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17834&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17834

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 09:08:09 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:08 UTC

On 2023-12-29 21:21:03 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2023-12-29, Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
>> Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still
>> use from time to time.
>
> Why not just run it in SheepShaver or Basilisk? That's what I do for
> such software.

Thanks. I'd forgotten about SheepShaver. I tried it some years ago but
couldn't get it to run. I think it needed a Pre-OSX ROM, which I hadn't
got and couldn't get. I'll try again.

--
Athel cb

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<kvb4knFtplsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17836&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17836

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 30 Dec 2023 18:08:23 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:08 UTC

On 2023-12-30, Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2023-12-29 21:21:03 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>> On 2023-12-29, Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
>>> Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still
>>> use from time to time.
>>
>> Why not just run it in SheepShaver or Basilisk? That's what I do for
>> such software.
>
> Thanks. I'd forgotten about SheepShaver. I tried it some years ago but
> couldn't get it to run. I think it needed a Pre-OSX ROM, which I
> hadn't got and couldn't get. I'll try again.

Oh, that's easy:

<http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-rom-archive>

🙂

JR

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<umq17b$1deg0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17837&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17837

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 10:14:19 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:14 UTC

On 2023-12-30 08:08:09 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:
> On 2023-12-29 21:21:03 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>> On 2023-12-29, Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I would like to have an early Macbook Air that can run Classic. Why?
>>> Because I have an old program created with THINK Pascal that I still
>>> use from time to time.
>>
>> Why not just run it in SheepShaver or Basilisk? That's what I do for
>> such software.
>
> Thanks. I'd forgotten about SheepShaver. I tried it some years ago but
> couldn't get it to run. I think it needed a Pre-OSX ROM, which I hadn't
> got and couldn't get. I'll try again.

The ROM images are easy to get all over the internet. Most emulation
sites suggest using one of the ones from
https://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver or
https://archive.org/details/SheepShaver_Roms

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<umq3op$1doji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17838&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17838

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 10:57:46 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:57 UTC

On 2023-12-30 21:14:19 +0000, Your Name said:
> On 2023-12-30 08:08:09 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:
>>>
>>> Why not just run it in SheepShaver or Basilisk? That's what I do for
>>> such software.
>>
>> Thanks. I'd forgotten about SheepShaver. I tried it some years ago but
>> couldn't get it to run. I think it needed a Pre-OSX ROM, which I hadn't
>> got and couldn't get. I'll try again.
>
> The ROM images are easy to get all over the internet. Most emulation
> sites suggest using one of the ones from
> https://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver or
> https://archive.org/details/SheepShaver_Roms

Or, depending on what model your current old Mac is, you can use one of
the utilities to create a ROM image from the actual Mac.
<https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/rom-grabbers-old-school-macs>

Re: Early Macbook Air that can run Classic

<kvco9eF8eucU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17843&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17843

From: me@yahoo.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:49:50 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 08:49 UTC

On 2023-12-30 18:08:23 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2023-12-30, Athel Cornish-Bowden <me@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Why not just run it in SheepShaver or Basilisk? That's what I do for
>>> such software.
>>
>> Thanks. I'd forgotten about SheepShaver. I tried it some years ago but
>> couldn't get it to run. I think it needed a Pre-OSX ROM, which I
>> hadn't got and couldn't get. I'll try again.
>
> Oh, that's easy:
>
> <http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-rom-archive>

Looking at my records I see that it was in 2006 that I tried and failed
to get the ROM, but no doubt things have changed since then. Probably I
need a newer version of SheepShaver than what I downloaded in 2006.

--
Athel cb