Space is to place as eternity is to time. -- Joseph Joubert

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

SubjectAuthor
* Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Colour Sergeant Bourne
+* Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Your Name
|`* Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Colour Sergeant Bourne
| `* Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Your Name
|  +- Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Colour Sergeant Bourne
|  +- Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Your Name
|  `- Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?super70s
`* Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Doc O'Leary ,
 `- Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?Your Name

1
Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo1eih$is6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17859&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17859

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:01:18 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:01 UTC

Is there a way to duplicate a Safari bookmark to a particular webpage in
the same bookmark folder but give the new bookmark a different name?

When i try that, the original bookmark disappears and is replaced by the
new-named one.

In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have two different-named
bookmarks to the same webpage in the same Safari bookmarks folder.

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo1guf$j7fn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17861&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17861

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 09:41:52 +1300
 by: Your Name - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:41 UTC

On 2024-01-14 20:01:18 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:

> Is there a way to duplicate a Safari bookmark to a particular webpage
> in the same bookmark folder but give the new bookmark a different name?
>
> When i try that, the original bookmark disappears and is replaced by
> the new-named one.
>
> In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have two different-named
> bookmarks to the same webpage in the same Safari bookmarks folder.

You don't say which version of MacOS / Safari or how you are creating
the duplicate bookmark. It sounds like you might be using the Rename
function, which renames the bookmark - it doesn't create a duplicate.

It should be very simple:

- Go to the webpage
- Create a bookmark, call it whatever you want and save
it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders
- Create another bookmark, call it whatever you want and
save it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders.

The only reason I can think of for a duplicated bookmark being
automatically removed would be if using a third-party bookmark managing
app with such a feature.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo1ip8$jb98$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17863&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17863

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:13:12 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:13 UTC

On 1/14/24 3:41 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-01-14 20:01:18 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:
>>
>> Is there a way to duplicate a Safari bookmark to a particular webpage
>> in the same bookmark folder but give the new bookmark a different name?
>>
>> When i try that, the original bookmark disappears and is replaced by
>> the new-named one.
>>
>> In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have two different-named
>> bookmarks to the same webpage in the same Safari bookmarks folder.
>
> You don't say which version of MacOS / Safari or how you are creating
> the duplicate bookmark. It sounds like you might be using the Rename
> function, which renames the bookmark - it doesn't create a duplicate.
>
> It should be very simple:
>
>   - Go to the webpage
>   - Create a bookmark, call it whatever you want and save
>     it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders
>   - Create another bookmark, call it whatever you want and
>     save it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders.
>
> The only reason I can think of for a duplicated bookmark being
> automatically removed would be if using a third-party bookmark managing
> app with such a feature.

Nope, fully updated MacOS 14.2.1 (23C71), Sarari 17.2.1
(19617.1.17.11.12), no bookmarks manager.

I have an existing bookmark to a certain webpage. I open Safari, go to
that webpage, then click Bookmarks, Add Bookmark. I enter a different
name and it creates a new bookmark-- but deletes the original one.

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo25il$ls3b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17867&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17867

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:33:57 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 02:33 UTC

On 2024-01-14 21:13:12 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:

> On 1/14/24 3:41 PM, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2024-01-14 20:01:18 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to duplicate a Safari bookmark to a particular webpage
>>> in the same bookmark folder but give the new bookmark a different name?
>>>
>>> When i try that, the original bookmark disappears and is replaced by
>>> the new-named one.
>>>
>>> In short, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have two different-named
>>> bookmarks to the same webpage in the same Safari bookmarks folder.
>>
>> You don't say which version of MacOS / Safari or how you are creating
>> the duplicate bookmark. It sounds like you might be using the Rename
>> function, which renames the bookmark - it doesn't create a duplicate.
>>
>> It should be very simple:
>>
>>   - Go to the webpage
>>   - Create a bookmark, call it whatever you want and save
>>     it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders
>>   - Create another bookmark, call it whatever you want and
>>     save it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders.
>>
>> The only reason I can think of for a duplicated bookmark being
>> automatically removed would be if using a third-party bookmark managing
>> app with such a feature.
>
> Nope, fully updated MacOS 14.2.1 (23C71), Sarari 17.2.1
> (19617.1.17.11.12), no bookmarks manager.
>
> I have an existing bookmark to a certain webpage. I open Safari, go to
> that webpage, then click Bookmarks, Add Bookmark. I enter a different
> name and it creates a new bookmark-- but deletes the original one.

It shouldn't do that. You can have as many bookmarks for the same
webpage as you want (although I can't really think of any reason why
you would need two bookmarks for the same webpage).

Something isn't working properly.

It could be the bookmarks preference file has become corrupted. Try
quitting Safari, then copying the file Users/{your user
name}/Library.Safari/Bookmarks.plist to another location (e.g.
downloads) and then deleting it, then restart Safari and try adding
your bookmarks again. If it works, then the old Bookmarks.plist file is
corrupted.

If you're using iCloud syncing with another device, then that could be
the potential culprit - turn off the syncing and see if the problem
still happens.

You could try saving the second bookmark to a different / new
sub-folder. If that works, then maybe you can use the Edit Bookmarks
option to move it to where you want it.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo3fch$v1ak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17869&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17869

From: bourne@rorke.za (Colour Sergeant Bourne)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 09:27:29 -0500
 by: Colour Sergeant Bour - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:27 UTC

On 1/14/24 9:33 PM, Your Name wrote:
> On 2024-01-14 21:13:12 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:

>>> You don't say which version of MacOS / Safari or how you are creating
>>> the duplicate bookmark. It sounds like you might be using the Rename
>>> function, which renames the bookmark - it doesn't create a duplicate.
>>>
>>> It should be very simple:
>>>
>>>   - Go to the webpage
>>>   - Create a bookmark, call it whatever you want and save
>>>     it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders
>>>   - Create another bookmark, call it whatever you want and
>>>     save it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders.
>>>
>>> The only reason I can think of for a duplicated bookmark being
>>> automatically removed would be if using a third-party bookmark
>>> managing app with such a feature.
>>
>> Nope, fully updated MacOS 14.2.1 (23C71), Sarari 17.2.1
>> (19617.1.17.11.12), no bookmarks manager.
>>
>> I have an existing bookmark to a certain webpage. I open Safari, go to
>> that webpage, then click Bookmarks, Add Bookmark. I enter a different
>> name and it creates a new bookmark-- but deletes the original one.
>
> It shouldn't do that. You can have as many bookmarks for the same
> webpage as you want (although I can't really think of any reason why you
> would need two bookmarks for the same webpage).
>
> Something isn't working properly.
>
> It could be the bookmarks preference file has become corrupted. Try
> quitting Safari, then copying the file Users/{your user
> name}/Library.Safari/Bookmarks.plist to another location (e.g.
> downloads) and then deleting it, then restart Safari and try adding your
> bookmarks again. If it works, then the old Bookmarks.plist file is
> corrupted.
>
> If you're using iCloud syncing with another device, then that could be
> the potential culprit - turn off the syncing and see if the problem
> still happens.
>
> You could try saving the second bookmark to a different / new
> sub-folder. If that works, then maybe you can use the Edit Bookmarks
> option to move it to where you want it.

Thanks, good suggestions. I'll give them a try when I get some free time!

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo3hlh$vec7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17870&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17870

From: droleary.usenet@2023.impossiblystupid.com (Doc O'Leary ,)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:06:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Doc O'Leary , - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:06 UTC

For your reference, records indicate that
Colour Sergeant Bourne <bourne@rorke.za> wrote:

> Is there a way to duplicate a Safari bookmark to a particular webpage in
> the same bookmark folder but give the new bookmark a different name?

Edit Bookmarks
Select “the one”
Copy
Paste
Rename

A browser-independent trick to avoid deduplication would be to alter the
URL itself by putting a # at the end (or otherwise changing the fragment
if it already has one).

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo3vgs$11ogd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17872&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17872

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:02:52 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:02 UTC

On 2024-01-15 15:06:25 +0000, Doc O'Leary , said:
> For your reference, records indicate that
> Colour Sergeant Bourne <bourne@rorke.za> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to duplicate a Safari bookmark to a particular webpage in
>> the same bookmark folder but give the new bookmark a different name?
>
> Edit Bookmarks
> Select “the one”
> Copy
> Paste
> Rename
>
> A browser-independent trick to avoid deduplication would be to alter the
> URL itself by putting a # at the end (or otherwise changing the fragment
> if it already has one).

You could also use a URL shortening service like TinyURL and bookmark
the shortened address instead of the real one.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uo3vjq$11p1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17873&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17873

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:04:26 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:04 UTC

On 2024-01-15 02:33:57 +0000, Your Name said:

> On 2024-01-14 21:13:12 +0000, Colour Sergeant Bourne said:

>>> You don't say which version of MacOS / Safari or how you are creating
>>> the duplicate bookmark. It sounds like you might be using the Rename
>>> function, which renames the bookmark - it doesn't create a duplicate.
>>>
>>> It should be very simple:
>>>
>>>   - Go to the webpage
>>>   - Create a bookmark, call it whatever you want and save
>>>     it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders
>>>   - Create another bookmark, call it whatever you want and
>>>     save it wherever you want in your bookmarks folders.
>>>
>>> The only reason I can think of for a duplicated bookmark being
>>> automatically removed would be if using a third-party bookmark managing
>>> app with such a feature.
>>
>> Nope, fully updated MacOS 14.2.1 (23C71), Sarari 17.2.1
>> (19617.1.17.11.12), no bookmarks manager.
>>
>> I have an existing bookmark to a certain webpage. I open Safari, go to
>> that webpage, then click Bookmarks, Add Bookmark. I enter a different
>> name and it creates a new bookmark-- but deletes the original one.
>
> It shouldn't do that. You can have as many bookmarks for the same
> webpage as you want (although I can't really think of any reason why
> you would need two bookmarks for the same webpage).
>
> Something isn't working properly.
>
> It could be the bookmarks preference file has become corrupted. Try
> quitting Safari, then copying the file Users/{your user
> name}/Library.Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Typo. :o(
That should have read:
Users/{your user name}/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

with a / not a . between Library and Safari.

> to another location (e.g. downloads) and then deleting it, then restart
> Safari and try adding your bookmarks again. If it works, then the old
> Bookmarks.plist file is corrupted.
>
> If you're using iCloud syncing with another device, then that could be
> the potential culprit - turn off the syncing and see if the problem
> still happens.
>
> You could try saving the second bookmark to a different / new
> sub-folder. If that works, then maybe you can use the Edit Bookmarks
> option to move it to where you want it.

Re: Duplicate a Safari Bookmsrk With a Diferent Name?

<uocij6$2qo9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17877&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17877

From: super70s@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 19:17:26 -0600
 by: super70s - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 01:17 UTC

On 2024-01-15 02:33:57 +0000, Your Name said:

> It could be the bookmarks preference file has become corrupted. Try
> quitting Safari, then copying the file Users/{your user
> name}/Library.Safari/Bookmarks.plist to another location (e.g.
> downloads) and then deleting it, then restart Safari and try adding
> your bookmarks again. If it works, then the old Bookmarks.plist file is
> corrupted.

Apple makes all browser bookmark files with Safari as their parent,
where do they get off doing that.

I have one like that I use, but it still opens in Firefox which is what I want.