From: licensedtoquill@gmail.com (Amandaa Ripanykhazov)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Any solution to bust-apart fusion drive data recovery on Imac?
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:12:42 -0500
 by: Amandaa Ripanykhazov - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:12 UTC

I have been playing around with iboysoft data recovery solutions which
dont actually work for a couple of weeks, when suddenly my IMac started
to boot up into a desktop! I cant get it much past a login password
screen but frankly with all the supposed damage of a split-up fusion
drive, I am kinda shocked at getting this far!

This seems to have happened because I left the iMac partially booted,
where something keeps telling it to re-boot itself; and this has
happened enough times while unattended that eventually it HAS booted

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this computer to
boot up all the way while I have a Time Machine drive attached such that
I can get a backup prior to executing the Fusion-Reset procedure please?

Re: Any solution to bust-apart fusion drive data recovery on Imac?

<ZsyrN.372968$83n7.167392@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17891&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17891

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:28:08 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:28 UTC

On 2024-01-22 13:12, Amandaa Ripanykhazov wrote:
> I have been playing around with iboysoft data recovery solutions which
> dont actually work for a couple of weeks, when suddenly my IMac started
> to boot up into a desktop! I cant get it much past a login password
> screen but frankly with all the supposed damage of a split-up fusion
> drive, I am kinda shocked at getting this far!

Can you boot into safe mode or internet recovery mode? Careful of the
later if you have data on your drive.

> This seems to have happened because I left the iMac partially booted,
> where something keeps telling it to re-boot itself;     and this has
> happened enough times while unattended that eventually it HAS booted
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this computer to
> boot up all the way while I have a Time Machine drive attached such that
> I can get  a backup prior to executing the Fusion-Reset procedure please?

See stuff below which might or might not lead you to the right place.
(This includes a link to iboysoft so that one is maybe burned...)

*** No guarantee it's safe. ***

Wish I could help more. I'll be re-purposing an iMac and that includes
replacing the hard drive. On that iMac changing to an SSD did not work
at all. Well, not completely sure, I could possibly re-install back to
whatever OS it came with originally (10.8 or 10.9) and then upgrade up
to Catalina. It's back to spinning disk for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LMIfdIDh7I

Repair disk?
https://iboysoft.com/mac-data-recovery/file-system-verify-or-repair-failed-disk-utility.html

https://canada.ifixit.com/products/imac-intel-27-late-2012-late-2019-ssd-upgrade-bundle

OWC: SSD card (not HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pYn0AcGe0

OWC HDD
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDIM12Y960/

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: Any solution to bust-apart fusion drive data recovery on Imac?

<uomltj$t9eq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17892&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17892

From: YourName@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:15:32 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 21:15 UTC

On 2024-01-22 18:12:42 +0000, Amandaa Ripanykhazov said:

> I have been playing around with iboysoft data recovery solutions which
> dont actually work for a couple of weeks, when suddenly my IMac started
> to boot up into a desktop! I cant get it much past a login password
> screen but frankly with all the supposed damage of a split-up fusion
> drive, I am kinda shocked at getting this far!
>
> This seems to have happened because I left the iMac partially booted,
> where something keeps telling it to re-boot itself; and this has
> happened enough times while unattended that eventually it HAS booted
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this computer to
> boot up all the way while I have a Time Machine drive attached such
> that I can get a backup prior to executing the Fusion-Reset procedure
> please?

Assuming the main drive isn't dead, the best option would be to simply
erase the main drive and reinstall MacOS via either the normal Apple
Recovery mode or by using a USB drive which has the MacOS installer
(you will need another Mac to make one though). It depends on which Mac
you have as to how you boot into either of those other options.

Then, never ever use third-party "recovery" apps again. They simply do
not work.