It's easy to get on the internet and forget you have a life -- Topic on #LinuxGER

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up

SubjectAuthor
* Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives upSten deJoode
+* Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives upAlan Browne
|`* Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives upSten deJoode
| `- Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives upAlan
`- Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives upJolly Roger

1
Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up

<upaf8u$6r6l$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17928&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17928

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 04:24:46 -0500
 by: Sten deJoode - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:24 UTC

On 30 Jan 2024 07:11:03 GMT, Bernd Froehlich wrote:

>> Apple put a server on the Internet just like every other company does.
>
> Just like any bank does...

I said every company. That includes banks. And people who make doughnuts.

What is interesting is the Apple posters think this is about the iPhone.
They don't understand it's not about the iPhone but about the server.

You have to wonder why these Apple posters can't understand the issues.

Nobody on Android wants the iPhone (otherwise the iPhone would have more
than 15% market compared to Android's utter domination of the world TAM).

What people want in this case isn't the iPhone - but that server.

Because only because that server does two things that some people want.
1. That server allows them to send MMS attachments for free
2. That server reaches 15% of the world market.

Apple wrote the server code using probably high school dropouts.
So Beeper took advantage of the poor coding which Apple never tested.

Even Google proved Apple never tested a huge portion of their code.
So all Beeper proved, in the end, is Apple sucks at writing code.

Apple's inability to write secure code is one reason there are three times
as many zero-day holes in iOS than in Android & ten times the exploits.
https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog

Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up

<cj7uN.67781$zqTf.401@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17930&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17930

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:01:44 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:01 UTC

On 2024-01-30 04:24, Sten deJoode wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2024 07:11:03 GMT, Bernd Froehlich wrote:
>
>>> Apple put a server on the Internet just like every other company does.
>>
>> Just like any bank does...
>
> I said every company. That includes banks. And people who make doughnuts.
>
> What is interesting is the Apple posters think this is about the iPhone.
> They don't understand it's not about the iPhone but about the server.

Clearly pointed out it is indeed about Apple's servers many times. And
to have access to said servers: buy Apple products. Otherwise get your
own server.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up

<l1slm6Fgrv1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17931&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17931

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 30 Jan 2024 16:16:06 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:16 UTC

On 2024-01-30, Sten deJoode <StendeJood@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2024 07:11:03 GMT, Bernd Froehlich wrote:
>
>>> Apple put a server on the Internet just like every other company
>>> does.
>>
>> Just like any bank does...
>
> I said every company. That includes banks. And people who make
> doughnuts.
>
> What is interesting is the Apple posters think this is about the
> iPhone.

Nope, it's about the iMessage *service* - always has been. Adults will
notice that the only person here desperately trying to claim it's
supposedly about iPhones is *you*. This is typical Arlen behavior, where
he tries to misrepresent what other people say in order to fabricate an
illogical position out of thin air. Arlen's intellect is both boring and
lame.

> Because only because that server does two things that some people
> want.

And those people can buy an Apple device to use Apple's servers.
Otherwise, they can fuck right off.

JR

Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up

<upbf9d$8d7a$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17933&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17933

From: StendeJood@nospam.net (Sten deJoode)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:31:09 -0500
 by: Sten deJoode - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 18:31 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:01:44 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:

> Clearly pointed out it is indeed about Apple's servers many times. And
> to have access to said servers: buy Apple products. Otherwise get your
> own server.

We agree on everything you just said.
It's good you understand it was always about Apple's mainframe servers.

Apple built a system which turns the iPhone into a dumb terminal for the
purpose of all the things you like about Apple's server-based messaging.

That dumb-terminal iPhone was designed to require the use of Apple
mainframes to do the nice things you like about Apple's messaging system.

Beeper wanted some of those nice things that the mainframe model provides.
So Beeper took advantage of Apple's inability to code a secure server.

Apple subsequently closed the (multiple) loopholes that Beeper exploited.

It's no different a process when the hackers exploit a zero-day zero-click
hole in Apple's messaging implementation (five of which were this year!).

1. Apple puts out insecure server code.
2. Hackers exploit that insecure server code.
3. Apple subsequently patches the insecure server code.

Beeper didn't do anything different than what hackers do all the time.

Just like hackers serve the needs of their customer base, Beeper was only
serving the needs of its customer base. Only Apple finally plugged it up.

Re: [NEWS] Beeper Mini developer gives up

<upblfu$14lk0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=17935&group=comp.sys.mac.system#17935

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:17:01 -0800
 by: Alan - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:17 UTC

On 2024-01-30 10:31, Sten deJoode wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:01:44 -0500, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Clearly pointed out it is indeed about Apple's servers many times. And
>> to have access to said servers: buy Apple products. Otherwise get your
>> own server.
>
> We agree on everything you just said.
> It's good you understand it was always about Apple's mainframe servers.

Do you even know what a "mainframe server" is, Arlen?

> Apple built a system which turns the iPhone into a dumb terminal for the
> purpose of all the things you like about Apple's server-based messaging.

Nope.

> That dumb-terminal iPhone was designed to require the use of Apple
> mainframes to do the nice things you like about Apple's messaging system.

Do you even know what a "mainframe" is, Arlen?

> Beeper wanted some of those nice things that the mainframe model provides.
> So Beeper took advantage of Apple's inability to code a secure server.

No. That's not what Beeper did.

> Apple subsequently closed the (multiple) loopholes that Beeper exploited.
>
> It's no different a process when the hackers exploit a zero-day zero-click
> hole in Apple's messaging implementation (five of which were this year!).
>
> 1. Apple puts out insecure server code.
> 2. Hackers exploit that insecure server code.
> 3. Apple subsequently patches the insecure server code.
>
> Beeper didn't do anything different than what hackers do all the time.
>
> Just like hackers serve the needs of their customer base, Beeper was only
> serving the needs of its customer base. Only Apple finally plugged it up.

Beeper was trying to build a customer base using Apple's proprietary
services.

That's basically theft.