"Everyone's head is a cheap movie show." -- Jeff G. Bone

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... again

SubjectAuthor
* [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againYour Name
+- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
+- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againRocketSurgeon
+* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
|+- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAnt
|`* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
| `- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
+* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againTyrone
|+* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
||`* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againTyrone
|| +- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againYour Name
|| +- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
|| `- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
|+* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againYour Name
||+- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againJörg Lorenz
||`- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
|+* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againBernd Froehlich
||+* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan B
|||`* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againYour Name
||| +- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
||| `- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againJolly Roger
||`* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
|| `* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
||  `* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
||   `* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
||    `* Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
||     `- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan
|`- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againAlan Browne
`- Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... againJoerg Lorenz

Pages:12
Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... again

<urvseo$211pt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18151&group=comp.sys.mac.system#18151

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... again
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:51:04 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:51 UTC

On 2024-03-02 09:11, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-03-02 11:29, Alan wrote:

>>> Since Ballmer finally left (praise the old gods and the new), and
>>> Nadella took over, it has become the 2nd largest most valuable public
>>> co. (passing Apple).
>>>
>>> That is because of high product quality and execution.
>>>

>> As someone who works in tech support and sees Microsoft's shit on a
>> daily basis, I have to say:
>>
>> BWWWWAAAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
>
> Bias overflow alert.

Ahhhh...nope!

> I've used MS products since the early DOS days for work and for home.
> And yes, they were capable of a lot of crap.  Now Windows is matured and
> stable (if not very pleasing from a computer user/programmers POV).

"Stable" is not the only metric by which products must be judged.

> Azure (Cloud) is over 1/3 of their revenue and steadily growing as it
> adds services in pursuit of AWS.

Which doesn't support a WORD of your bullshit about "high product
quality and execution".

> Their 2nd biggest revenue maker is Office products (23%).  And these are
> very good quality mainstays in business. (Word, Excel, Powerpoint,
> Outlook, Exchange...).

Dude...

....on a support call with a Microsoft rep yesterday, I was literally
told that one of their flagship problems for business "still had a lot
of problems" (yes: I'm paraphrasing, but accurately).

> Windows OS is only 12% of the overall revenue stream.  Also a mainstay
> (though gradually losing place to Mac OS and Linux variants.
>
> Gaming is still less than 10%.

Supra "doesn't support".

Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... again

<h4LEN.43737$dSf.18899@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18152&group=comp.sys.mac.system#18152

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:27:09 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:27 UTC

On 2024-03-02 13:51, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-03-02 09:11, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> As someone who works in tech support and sees Microsoft's shit on a
>>> daily basis, I have to say:
>>>
>>> BWWWWAAAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
>>
>> Bias overflow alert.
>
> Ahhhh...nope!
>

>> I've used MS products since the early DOS days for work and for home.
>> And yes, they were capable of a lot of crap.  Now Windows is matured
>> and stable (if not very pleasing from a computer user/programmers POV).
>
> "Stable" is not the only metric by which products must be judged.
>

>> Azure (Cloud) is over 1/3 of their revenue and steadily growing as it
>> adds services in pursuit of AWS.
>
> Which doesn't support a WORD of your bullshit about "high product
> quality and execution".

In cloud services you either execute well or die fast - people can move
to AWS in about the time it takes to blow their nose. Yet that business
continues to grow steadily.

>> Their 2nd biggest revenue maker is Office products (23%).  And these
>> are very good quality mainstays in business. (Word, Excel, Powerpoint,
>> Outlook, Exchange...).
>
> Dude...
>
> ...on a support call with a Microsoft rep yesterday, I was literally
> told that one of their flagship problems for business "still had a lot
> of problems" (yes: I'm paraphrasing, but accurately).

Sample of one again.

>> Windows OS is only 12% of the overall revenue stream.  Also a mainstay
>> (though gradually losing place to Mac OS and Linux variants.
>>
>> Gaming is still less than 10%.
>>

> Supra "doesn't support".

Yes, I'm sure all issues with MS are easy for you to amplify.

I did have an issue in the fall with Office install on M3 Mac using an
older intel Mac based license. A call with MS took about 10 minutes to
sort it out (version issue0. Very nice, well done, patient and all is
good).

Sample of one, but then I rarely have issue with MS products that I
can't resolve by a bit of internet sleuthing.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... again

<l4hfh4F9duuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18153&group=comp.sys.mac.system#18153

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 2 Mar 2024 20:12:20 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:12 UTC

On 2024-03-01, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2024-03-01 08:35:40 +0000, Alan B said:
>>
>> Personally I'd like to see improvements in public transport, then I
>> wouldn't need to own and drive a car. Pigs will probably learn to fly
>> in my area before that happens though :(
>
> There will never be an efficient and effective public transport
> system.

*Laughs in Portland, Oregon public transit*

> It can get close for the few people that only need to go from A to B
> and back again, especially within a limited area within a big city,
> but for the majority of people it isn't any good.

Nonsense. You clearly haven't lived in a city with good public
transport. In my city, literal millions of people use public transport
regularly to get all around the city and neighboring suburbs. We have
excellent public transport that is both cheap and efficient:

<https://trimet.org/about/performance.htm>

> The public transport here in Auckland, New Zealand's biuggest city, is
> attrocious

That's not representative of all public transport.

JR

Re: [OT News] Apple Car dead ... again

<us0238$228ua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18154&group=comp.sys.mac.system#18154

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 12:27:20 -0800
 by: Alan - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 20:27 UTC

On 2024-03-02 11:27, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-03-02 13:51, Alan wrote:

>>> Bias overflow alert.
>>
>> Ahhhh...nope!
>>

>>> I've used MS products since the early DOS days for work and for home.
>>> And yes, they were capable of a lot of crap.  Now Windows is matured
>>> and stable (if not very pleasing from a computer user/programmers POV).
>>
>> "Stable" is not the only metric by which products must be judged.
>>

>>> Azure (Cloud) is over 1/3 of their revenue and steadily growing as it
>>> adds services in pursuit of AWS.
>>
>> Which doesn't support a WORD of your bullshit about "high product
>> quality and execution".
>
> In cloud services you either execute well or die fast - people can move
> to AWS in about the time it takes to blow their nose.  Yet that business
> continues to grow steadily.
>

>>> Their 2nd biggest revenue maker is Office products (23%).  And these
>>> are very good quality mainstays in business. (Word, Excel,
>>> Powerpoint, Outlook, Exchange...).
>>
>> Dude...
>>
>> ...on a support call with a Microsoft rep yesterday, I was literally
>> told that one of their flagship problems for business "still had a lot
>> of problems" (yes: I'm paraphrasing, but accurately).
>
> Sample of one again.
>

>>> Windows OS is only 12% of the overall revenue stream.  Also a
>>> mainstay (though gradually losing place to Mac OS and Linux variants.
>>>
>>> Gaming is still less than 10%.
>>>

>> Supra "doesn't support".
>
> Yes, I'm sure all issues with MS are easy for you to amplify.
>
> I did have an issue in the fall with Office install on M3 Mac using an
> older intel Mac based license.  A call with MS took about 10 minutes to
> sort it out (version issue0.  Very nice, well done, patient and all is
> good).
>
> Sample of one, but then I rarely have issue with MS products that I
> can't resolve by a bit of internet sleuthing.

Sample of one back at ya.

I work with MANY people and if it weren't for the ongoing issues with
Microsoft, I'd have a lot less work.