19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

computers / alt.comp.freeware / Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

SubjectAuthor
* (OT) What is your favorite tech website?John C.
+* Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?milsabords
|+- Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?D
|`* Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?John C.
| `* Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?Yrrah
|  `- Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?John C.
`* Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?Nic
 `- Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?John C.

1
(OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<ufjdm3$42f4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18168&group=alt.comp.freeware#18168

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 03:10:08 -0700
 by: John C. - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:10 UTC

Here are some tech websites, some of which I use:

Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/
gPost: https://www.groovypost.com/
How-To Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/
KnowTechie: https://knowtechie.com/
maketecheasier: https://www.maketecheasier.com/
TechEngage: https://techengage.com/
Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/
Wired: https://www.wired.com/

Do you have a website which you like to check daily for news about
software and hardware computer technology? If so, can you please post a
link to it in reply?

TIA

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

I block (filter out) messages posted to this group:
-cross-posted messages (sent to multiple newsgroups at a time)
-through Google Groups (already filtered out by Eternal-September
because of spam)
-through Uzoreto (AKA "Vipernews", source of other spam posted here)
-from several trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his sock puppets)

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<651d4a36$0$7446$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18170&group=alt.comp.freeware#18170

Subject: Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?
From: nospam@nospam.org (milsabords)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 13:19:18 +0200
 by: milsabords - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:19 UTC

John C. avait énoncé :
> Here are some tech websites, some of which I use:

> Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/
> gPost: https://www.groovypost.com/
> How-To Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/
> KnowTechie: https://knowtechie.com/
> maketecheasier: https://www.maketecheasier.com/
> TechEngage: https://techengage.com/
> Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/
> Wired: https://www.wired.com/

> Do you have a website which you like to check daily for news about
> software and hardware computer technology? If so, can you please post a
> link to it in reply?

> TIA

https://www.ghacks.net/

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<620170061887ce33afe5554a19bef52d@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18172&group=alt.comp.freeware#18172

From: J@M (D)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:27:09 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
 by: D - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:27 UTC

(using Tor Browser 12.5.6 <https://www.torproject.org/> to open these links):
https://www.ghacks.net/2023/10/04/firefox-118-boosts-security-with-encrypted-client-hello-support/
>Softonic uses own and third-party cookies to show personalized content and ads
>on Softonic's properties and other sites, to provide social media features, to
>create an anonymous profile based on browsing behavior (visited pages, frequency,
>time) and to analyze how our services are used.
>You can decide what type of cookies you accept or withdraw the consent at any time.
>With your agreement, we and our partners use cookies or similar technologies to
>store, access, and process personal data like your visit on this website.
>You can withdraw your consent or object to data processing based on legitimate
>interest at any time by clicking on "Learn More" or in our Privacy Policy on this
>website.
>We and our partners do the following data processing:
>Display personalized ads, Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement,
>audience insights and product development, Precise geolocation data, and
>identification through device scanning, Store and/or access information on a device
>Learn More -> Agree and close
[end quoted warning]
> [...]
>Martin Brinkmann
>Oct 4, 2023
>Firefox
>Mozilla released Firefox 118 Stable in late September 2023 to the public. It was a
>major release, as it introduced the long awaited native translate feature in the
>browser.
>Privacy friendly translations of websites was not the only privacy feature that
>Mozilla integrated into the browser. Firefox 118 Stable is also supporting
>Encrypted Client Hello, which many may see as even more important. The main purpose
>of the security feature is to protect data from network spies. A spy can be the
>Internet Service Provider or anyone listening in on the traffic in the network.
>Here is an example to better illustrate the feature. A regular connection to a
>website uses HTTPS usually. This means that traffic data is encrypted and therefore
>protected against traffic monitoring. The address of the website, say ghacks.net,
>is not encrypted, however. This means that it will leak when someone monitors
>traffic. Encrypted Client Hello resolves this by encrypting the address of the site
>as well, so that the visited sites are no longer revealed.
>Encrypted Client Hello relies on the Domain Name System, and here in particular on
>DNS over HTTPS. DNS over HTTPS encrypts domain lookups and is used to fetch a key
>from the web server that Encrypted Client Hello uses to encrypt all traffic to the
>server and site in question.
>firefox dns over https
>Firefox users need to make sure that DNS over HTTPS is used in the browser to
>utilize Encrypted Client Hello. This is done in the following way:
> 1. Load about:preferences#privacy in the Firefox address bar to open the Privacy
> and Security settings.
> 2. Scroll all the way down to the DNS over HTTPS section on the page.
> 3. Firefox controls DNS over HTTPS by default. You may want to switch to Increased
> or Max Protection instead, as it ensures that the feature is used all the time.
> The difference between Increased and Max protection is that Increased includes
> a fallback to regular DNS whereas Max protection will not load sites if secure
> DNS is not available.
> Select one of the available providers or add a custom provider to Firefox so
> that it is used.
>With DNS over HTTPS enabled, Firefox will use Encrypted Client Hello automatically,
>provided that the web server of the site supports it. Users who want to know for
>sure can check out these two test sites to find out.
>Mozilla announced support for Encrypted Client Hello on the official blog. A support
>page on the Mozilla website provides additional information and resource links.
>Chromium-based web browsers support Encrypted Client Hello as well. The most recent
>version of Google Chrome, version 117, supports the feature.
>Now You: what is your take on this privacy feature?
[end quoted article]

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<ufma37$uisr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18179&group=alt.comp.freeware#18179

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:27:17 -0700
 by: John C. - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:27 UTC

milsabords wrote:
> John C. avait énoncé :
>> Here are some tech websites, some of which I use:
>
>> Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/
>> gPost: https://www.groovypost.com/
>> How-To Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/
>> KnowTechie: https://knowtechie.com/
>> maketecheasier: https://www.maketecheasier.com/
>> TechEngage: https://techengage.com/
>> Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/
>> Wired: https://www.wired.com/
>
>> Do you have a website which you like to check daily for news about
>> software and hardware computer technology? If so, can you please post a
>> link to it in reply?
>
>> TIA
>
> https://www.ghacks.net/

Thanks. That was one that I was looking for and couldn't remember the
name of.

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

I block (filter out) messages posted to this group:
-cross-posted messages (sent to multiple newsgroups at a time)
-through Google Groups (already filtered out by Eternal-September
because of spam)
-through Uzoreto (AKA "Vipernews", source of other spam posted here)
-from several trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his sock puppets)

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<mftthih8s85k3djjbp8362b5k2oh9rpgf8@net.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18182&group=alt.comp.freeware#18182

From: Yrrah-acf@acf.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Sender: yrrah-acf@acfacf.invalid
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 19:58:35 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:58 UTC

"John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com>:
> > https://www.ghacks.net/
>
> Thanks. That was one that I was looking for and couldn't remember the
> name of.

It's gone downhill imho after Martin sold it.
I don't visit tech websites all that frequently anymore and only look
at (a few) hardware (review) sites when I'm in the market for new
hardware, which doesn't happen very often. As to software, Distrowatch
once a week.
A few sites occasionally, no favorites. Too much commercial crap
almost everywhere. F*ck them.

Yrrah
---
F*ck Gugle, Micro$oft, Fakebook, Twatter(X), Amacon, WhatsUpp, etc.

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<dNFTM.6063$rbid.4548@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18184&group=alt.comp.freeware#18184

Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:21:13 -0400
 by: Nic - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:21 UTC

On 10/4/23 6:10 AM, John C. wrote:
> Here are some tech websites, some of which I use:
>
> Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/
> gPost: https://www.groovypost.com/
> How-To Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/
> KnowTechie: https://knowtechie.com/
> maketecheasier: https://www.maketecheasier.com/
> TechEngage: https://techengage.com/
> Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/
> Wired: https://www.wired.com/
>
> Do you have a website which you like to check daily for news about
> software and hardware computer technology? If so, can you please post a
> link to it in reply?
>
> TIA

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7800-xt-review

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFPJY54Q/ref=asc_df_B0CFPJY54Q1696521600000?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=tomshardware-us-1028954361213984100-20&geniuslink=true&th=1

$519.99

PowerColor Hellhound AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<ufrii1$2c538$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18211&group=alt.comp.freeware#18211

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 05:22:22 -0700
 by: John C. - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 12:22 UTC

Yrrah wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> milsabords wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.ghacks.net/
>>
>> Thanks. That was one that I was looking for and couldn't remember the
>> name of.
>
> It's gone downhill imho after Martin sold it.

Yeah, I know. I quit going to it shortly after they did that and changed
the website's layout. It just got too difficult to narrow the list of
articles down to what I was interested in, and too much propaganda-news
started leaking into the listings.

--
John C. BS206. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

I block (filter out) messages posted to this group:
-cross-posted messages (sent to multiple newsgroups at a time)
-through Google Groups (already filtered out by Eternal-September
because of spam)
-through Uzoreto (AKA "Vipernews", source of other spam posted here)
-from several trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his sock puppets)

Re: (OT) What is your favorite tech website?

<ufrilo$2c538$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=18212&group=alt.comp.freeware#18212

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 05:24:20 -0700
 by: John C. - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 12:24 UTC

Nic wrote:
> On 10/4/23 6:10 AM, John C. wrote:
>> Here are some tech websites, some of which I use:
>>
>> Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/
>> gPost: https://www.groovypost.com/
>> How-To Geek: https://www.howtogeek.com/
>> KnowTechie: https://knowtechie.com/
>> maketecheasier: https://www.maketecheasier.com/
>> TechEngage: https://techengage.com/
>> Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/
>> Wired: https://www.wired.com/
>>
>> Do you have a website which you like to check daily for news about
>> software and hardware computer technology? If so, can you please post a
>> link to it in reply?
>>
>> TIA
>>
> https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-7800-xt-review
> (snip)

That's a great website, but it's limited to hardware only as the name says.