From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: “Backblaze_Drive_Stats_for_Q2_2023”
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:13:35 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 21:13 UTC

“Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023”
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2023/

“At the end of Q2 2023, Backblaze was monitoring 245,757 hard drives and
SSDs in our data centers around the world. Of that number, 4,460 are
boot drives, with 3,144 being SSDs and 1,316 being HDDs. The failure
rates for the SSDs are analyzed in the SSD Edition: 2022 Drive Stats
review.”

“Zero Failures: There were six drive models with zero failures in Q2
2023 as shown in the table below.”

Wow. I just bought a 12 TB WD External USB drive a couple of months
ago. I am staying with WD drives. Not perfect but very very good.

Lynn

Re: ?Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023?

<7d0pcipf1r7nh0hu1hsngd768g69293tm6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=184&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#184

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: ???Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023???
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 23:46:54 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 04:46 UTC

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:13:35 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>“Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023”
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2023/
>
>“At the end of Q2 2023, Backblaze was monitoring 245,757 hard drives and
>SSDs in our data centers around the world. Of that number, 4,460 are
>boot drives, with 3,144 being SSDs and 1,316 being HDDs. The failure
>rates for the SSDs are analyzed in the SSD Edition: 2022 Drive Stats
>review.”
>
>“Zero Failures: There were six drive models with zero failures in Q2
>2023 as shown in the table below.”
>
>Wow. I just bought a 12 TB WD External USB drive a couple of months
>ago. I am staying with WD drives. Not perfect but very very good.

My last two drives were WD externals, that I immediately shucked and mounted
internally. No problems so far.

The last couple of drives that I've had problems with have been Seagates. I
know, single data points mean nothing, but I'm thinking I should maybe stay with
WD at this time.

Not sure if it's related, but I get the Newegg newsletter every day and they
always have listings for Seagates drives at steep discounts. I can't remember
the last time I saw a discount on WD, although I may have missed it.

Re: “Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023”

<uajl6k$1d4mv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=185&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#185

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:57:06 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 19:57 UTC

On 8/3/2023 11:46 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:13:35 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> “Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023”
>> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2023/
>>
>> “At the end of Q2 2023, Backblaze was monitoring 245,757 hard drives and
>> SSDs in our data centers around the world. Of that number, 4,460 are
>> boot drives, with 3,144 being SSDs and 1,316 being HDDs. The failure
>> rates for the SSDs are analyzed in the SSD Edition: 2022 Drive Stats
>> review.”
>>
>> “Zero Failures: There were six drive models with zero failures in Q2
>> 2023 as shown in the table below.”
>>
>> Wow. I just bought a 12 TB WD External USB drive a couple of months
>> ago. I am staying with WD drives. Not perfect but very very good.
>
> My last two drives were WD externals, that I immediately shucked and mounted
> internally. No problems so far.
>
> The last couple of drives that I've had problems with have been Seagates. I
> know, single data points mean nothing, but I'm thinking I should maybe stay with
> WD at this time.
>
> Not sure if it's related, but I get the Newegg newsletter every day and they
> always have listings for Seagates drives at steep discounts. I can't remember
> the last time I saw a discount on WD, although I may have missed it.

What were the external drives, HGST or WD ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Re: ?Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023?

<cisqcidfvgpu1uljop4l7c5eddqssreg0a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=186&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage#186

From: none@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2023 16:52:17 -0500
 by: Char Jackson - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 21:52 UTC

On Fri, 4 Aug 2023 14:57:06 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 8/3/2023 11:46 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 16:13:35 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> “Backblaze Drive Stats for Q2 2023”
>>> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2023/
>>>
>>> “At the end of Q2 2023, Backblaze was monitoring 245,757 hard drives and
>>> SSDs in our data centers around the world. Of that number, 4,460 are
>>> boot drives, with 3,144 being SSDs and 1,316 being HDDs. The failure
>>> rates for the SSDs are analyzed in the SSD Edition: 2022 Drive Stats
>>> review.”
>>>
>>> “Zero Failures: There were six drive models with zero failures in Q2
>>> 2023 as shown in the table below.”
>>>
>>> Wow. I just bought a 12 TB WD External USB drive a couple of months
>>> ago. I am staying with WD drives. Not perfect but very very good.
>>
>> My last two drives were WD externals, that I immediately shucked and mounted
>> internally. No problems so far.
>>
>> The last couple of drives that I've had problems with have been Seagates. I
>> know, single data points mean nothing, but I'm thinking I should maybe stay with
>> WD at this time.
>>
>> Not sure if it's related, but I get the Newegg newsletter every day and they
>> always have listings for Seagates drives at steep discounts. I can't remember
>> the last time I saw a discount on WD, although I may have missed it.
>
>What were the external drives, HGST or WD ?

Marketed as WD Elements, they contained 14TB WDC WD140EDGZ-11B1PA0 drives.
Standard SATA connectors, etc.