From: george@nowhere.invalid (GEO)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: [DIALOG] How to automatically Download all Messages when you download the groups headers?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:54:20 -0800
 by: GEO - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 05:54 UTC

I looked at all the menus, the help file and could not find anything to
automatically download message headers after you downlaod headers.

I just installed 40tude.

Thanks for any help.

Re: [DIALOG] How to automatically Download all Messages when you download the groups headers?

<85b249ff26d96977a961ff66d1d8eb1e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1948&group=news.software.readers#1948

From: J@M (D)
Subject: Re: [DIALOG] How to automatically Download all Messages when you
download the groups headers?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:49:15 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: D - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:49 UTC

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:54:20 -0800, GEO <george@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>I looked at all the menus, the help file and could not find anything to
>automatically download message headers after you downlaod headers.
>I just installed 40tude.
>Thanks for any help.

Dialog > Help > Settings related Windows > The "Group settings" Window ...
> [...]
>Maximum number of messages retrieved per session and group
>When you get new headers Dialog only gets the latest headers up to the
>number specified here.
>Newly retrieved headers are initially expanded
>If you want newly retrieved threads to initially show up expanded, not
>collapsed, check this option.
>Save attachments of all downloaded bodies to
>Here you can specify a folder where Dialog automatically saves all
>attachments of downloaded bodies.
>Posting
>Use this identity for posting
>Specify the identity that you want to use for postings to this group. If
>you specify [Current] here, the currently active identity is used.
>Use this signature for posting
>Specify the signature that you want to use for postings to this group.
>Crossposts
>Enable crosspost management
>Enable or disable the crosspost management for this group.
>Only apply for articles with an XRef header that suggests crossposting
>If checked, the crosspost management is only done if the XRef header of
>an article indicates that the article was posted to more than one group.
>Since this option greatly reduces the number of messages to check, you
>should leave this activated.
>When a crossposted article is found...
>Determines what happens to an article if it was crossposted and you have
>already seen the article in another group. You can decide if you want to
>see the article marked read or simply ignore the header at all. Note that
>when a crossposted article is found, its body will not be retrieved, even
>if you have set up Dialog to retrieve bodies for all new headers.
>Only check for crossposts when retrieving NEW article headers
>Determines if the crosspost management is only active when retrieving new
>headers for a group, in contrast to getting headers for the first time or
>getting all headers in a group.
>Delete caches MsgIDs
>If you press this button the database of already known MsgIDs is cleared.
>Note that this clears the MsgIDs for all groups.
>Sorting/Scoring
>Sorting
>The sort and threading order for this group.
>Start a new thread when the subject changes within a thread
>If someone follows-up to an article, but changes the original subject it
>can be assumed that her message should be dealt with separately. If this
>option is checked, the message will show up in a new thread. If it is
>unchecked, it is shown within the original thread.
>Mark articles read if score is smaller than [Num]
>If you want Dialog to automatically mark messages read that are below a
>certain score, set the minimum score here. (More about scoring)
>Charsets
>Default group charset
>This is the default group charset used for articles using undeclared 8-bit
>text. (More about this: Character Sets, Fonts and Unicode)
[end quote]

Re: [DIALOG] How to automatically Download all Messages when you download the groups headers?

<16esvpyics2vp$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1949&group=news.software.readers#1949

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:54:22 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:54 UTC

GEO <george@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> I looked at all the menus, the help file and could not find anything
> to automatically download message headers after you downlaod headers.
>
> I just installed 40tude.

Group menu -> Default group options -> Retrieving
Enable: Retrieve bodies for all new messages.
Enable: Retrieve bodies for all "first in thread" messages.

Although the options say "bodies", the effect is to retrieve overview,
non-overview, and bodies of articles.

Perhaps what you want is to retrieve both overview and non-overview
headers. The vast majority of NNTP clients are pre-configured to
retrieve only the overview headers. Not until you select an article is
there another retrieve of the full message. You can find out what are
the overview headers at a particular NNTP server by running in a command
shell:

telnet <NNTPserver> 119
list overview.fmt
quit

(Requires you installed the telnet client in Windows.)

All other headers, like PATH, are non-overview headers, and will not be
retrieved when the NNTP client polls for new messages. Just the
overview headers are retrieved for each article, and populate the
Headers pane in the GUI. To get the non-overview headers requires
retrieving full messages, and that's all headers and the body, not just
overview + non-overiew headers. You get the overview headers, or you
get full articles.

If you subscribe to a newsgroup with a huge count of articles, all of
them are new articles, so the client retrieves them all (up to the max
you specify in config after which the poll halts, and you have to ask
for more). Depending on your bandwidth, and how fast the server will
deliver the messages, you could wait a long time to get all text-only
messages. You'd be waiting a hell of lot longer if you subscribe to
binary newsgroups.

Getting the full article (all headers and body) is how you get the
non-overview headers, so you can then test on those in your filters.
Testing on overview and non-overview headers, and using regex, lets you
better define just who or what you want to filter.