All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

computers / news.software.readers / [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

SubjectAuthor
* [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?GEO
+- Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?D
`* Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?Bernd Rose
 +* Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?VanguardLH
 |`- Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?VanguardLH
 `- Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?Bernd Rose

1
[Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

<1chev4gstvkjc.dlg@nowhere.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1958&group=news.software.readers#1958

From: george@nowhere.invalid (GEO)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:50:33 -0800
 by: GEO - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 20:50 UTC

I looked in AppData Folder and found no folder that it uses for storing
data. When I try to compact the data base I get an error about the folder
name data.

TIA.

Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

<8987b3bf36328ab4a0b6a585b24de883@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1959&group=news.software.readers#1959

From: J@M (D)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:56:29 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: D - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:56 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:50:33 -0800, GEO <george@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>I looked in AppData Folder and found no folder that it uses for storing
>data. When I try to compact the data base I get an error about the folder
>name data.
>TIA.

default data folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\40tude Dialog\data\ . . .
as a rule, i've maintained full multiple copies of installed newsreader
folders across removable drives for just in case; luckily most old pc's
outlast breaking down before slowly transitioning toward newer machines
(removable drives are cheap and roomy so might as well save everything);
uncheck/deselect "Keep backup of uncompressed data", click "Compact Now!"

40tude Dialog > Help contents...[F1]
>The "Compact database" Window
>Open the Compact database window by selecting File, Compact Database from
>Dialog's main menu.
>When you delete an article in Dialog the blocked space is not immediately
>freed on your hard disk. Instead the deleted article is simply marked as
>being deleted.
>To actually free the cluttered space you need to regularly compact Dialog's
>database.
>The compacting uses a slow, but safe approach. It simply iterates through
>all articles in the old database and copies all undeleted articles to a new
>database. After that the old database is closed, the old database files are
>replaced with the new ones and the database is opened again.
>Dialog's database of articles is located in the "data" subdirectory. While
>compacting a new directory "datanew" is created and when finished, the old
>directory "data" is renamed to "dataold" and the new directory "datanew" is
>renamed to "data".
>The compact database window has a check box Keep backup of uncompressed data.
>If this is checked the "dataold" directory is not deleted after compacting is
>finished. You will need to delete the subdirectory "dataold" manuallylater to
>free the cluttered space. (The Keep backup of uncompressed data option is
>likely to vanish in a future non-beta release.)
>Error messages
>-You need ...KB more space on drive ... to compact the database.
>Due to the way Dialog compacts the database by copying undeleted articles to
>a new database, you need additional disk space before you actually get more
>free disk space. Free up some space on the drive indicated in the error
>message and try again.
>-Error freeing the old datadir. Please rename the correct data directory to
>"data" and restart Dialog.
>-Error renaming/deleting old or new data directory. Please rename the correct
>data directory to "data" and restart Dialog.
>-Error reloading new data directory. Please rename the correct data directory
>to "data" and restart Dialog.
>Dialog successfully compacted the database, but failed to rename one or more
>database subdirectory. You will need to close Dialog and manually rename the
>directories to the correct name.
>-Problem [NUM] while compacting the database.
>An unexpected problem occurred. Please report this as a bug together with the
>number shown.
> Further readings
> The Database
[end quote]

Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

<2v1fyszpp1mp$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1960&group=news.software.readers#1960

From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 06:26:03 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 05:26 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:50:33 -0800, GEO wrote:

> I looked in AppData Folder and found no folder that it uses for storing
> data. When I try to compact the data base I get an error about the folder
> name data.

"DATA" is the folder name of the Dialog database. In general, it is just
a subfolder of the Dialog program folder. If you installed Dialog as a
portal program (strongly recommended!!) in a folder /not/ protected by UAC,
then that's all you have to look for. If you did a "normal" installation
to "C:\Program Files (86)", then write operations /will/ partially be
rerouted to AppData. It is very complicated, to create a "normal" setup
for Dialog, though, because this requires several manual adjustments.
If not done correctly, the database is likely to get corrupted. (And many
other wrong things can happen.)

Look in the Install section of the FAQ for further pointers:
https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/installation.php
https://www-barghahn--online-de.translate.goog/4td_faq/installation.php?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

HTH.
Bernd

Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

<1ce0yudtfmrqx.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1962&group=news.software.readers#1962

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 23:28:10 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 05:28 UTC

Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:50:33 -0800, GEO wrote:
>
>> I looked in AppData Folder and found no folder that it uses for storing
>> data. When I try to compact the data base I get an error about the folder
>> name data.
>
> "DATA" is the folder name of the Dialog database. In general, it is just
> a subfolder of the Dialog program folder. If you installed Dialog as a
> portal program (strongly recommended!!) in a folder /not/ protected by UAC,
> then that's all you have to look for. If you did a "normal" installation
> to "C:\Program Files (86)", then write operations /will/ partially be
> rerouted to AppData. It is very complicated, to create a "normal" setup
> for Dialog, though, because this requires several manual adjustments.
> If not done correctly, the database is likely to get corrupted. (And many
> other wrong things can happen.)
>
> Look in the Install section of the FAQ for further pointers:
> https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/installation.php
> https://www-barghahn--online-de.translate.goog/4td_faq/installation.php?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
>
> HTH.
> Bernd

I kept Dialog out of the C:\Program Files folders because they are
protected. I also didn't want its data split up with part in some
AppData subfolder under my Windows profile folder. Instead I
'installed' Dialog into C:\Programs\Dialog. I created the C:\Program
folder for programs that don't work well with protected folders.

Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

<e042uo0exmwi$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1963&group=news.software.readers#1963

From: b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 06:34:09 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 05:34 UTC

Following myself up:

> portal program

Replace with: "portable program"

Bernd

Re: [Dialog] Where does Dialog store the data directory/folder?

<71wp8lq7oo7u.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=1967&group=news.software.readers#1967

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:54:22 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:54 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:50:33 -0800, GEO wrote:
>>
>>> I looked in AppData Folder and found no folder that it uses for storing
>>> data. When I try to compact the data base I get an error about the folder
>>> name data.
>>
>> "DATA" is the folder name of the Dialog database. In general, it is just
>> a subfolder of the Dialog program folder. If you installed Dialog as a
>> portal program (strongly recommended!!) in a folder /not/ protected by UAC,
>> then that's all you have to look for. If you did a "normal" installation
>> to "C:\Program Files (86)", then write operations /will/ partially be
>> rerouted to AppData. It is very complicated, to create a "normal" setup
>> for Dialog, though, because this requires several manual adjustments.
>> If not done correctly, the database is likely to get corrupted. (And many
>> other wrong things can happen.)
>>
>> Look in the Install section of the FAQ for further pointers:
>> https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/installation.php
>> https://www-barghahn--online-de.translate.goog/4td_faq/installation.php?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
>>
>> HTH.
>> Bernd
>
> I kept Dialog out of the C:\Program Files folders because they are
> protected. I also didn't want its data split up with part in some
> AppData subfolder under my Windows profile folder. Instead I
> 'installed' Dialog into C:\Programs\Dialog. I created the C:\Program
> folder for programs that don't work well with protected folders.

In File explorer, right-click on the "C:\Programs files" folder, select
Properties in the context menu, and select the Security tab in the
Properties dialog. Scroll the list of group/user names to select Users.
Notice in the Permissions list that Users are not granted write
permission. Click on the Advanced button to see a more detailed
permissions list. Users get to read and execute from there. Same for
the "C:\Program Files x86" folder. Those are protected folders since
Windows Vista. If UAC is enabled, further protection is enforced.

Don't write data under those folders. Instead use the AppData folders
under your %userprofile% folder. That's for your use to save your data.
Or, as mentioned, "install" Dialog somewhere else where writing is
permitted, and you can keep together your installation and data.