From: J@M (D)
Subject: google groups will soon be detached
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 23:38:41 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
 by: D - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 22:38 UTC

with only 16 days until google is detached from usenet, probably most
server admins are already strengthening their systems against abusers,
setting stricter registration requirements, throttling bandwidth, etc.

(OT) Re: google groups will soon be detached

<upt1v8$rajr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=19966&group=alt.comp.freeware#19966

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: (OT) Re: google groups will soon be detached
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:34:15 -0800
 by: John C. - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:34 UTC

D wrote:
> with only 16 days until google is detached from usenet, probably most
> server admins are already strengthening their systems against abusers,
> setting stricter registration requirements, throttling bandwidth, etc.

Maybe so, but not all of them will. Seems like there are always
newsfeeds that don't care.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out:
-crossposts (sent to multiple newsgroups) at a time
-posts sent via Google Groups* due to spam from that source
-trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his many sock puppets)

If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Re: google groups will soon be detached

<50cca3fbd1aedfbfca1c6b04c4d1a902@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=19967&group=alt.comp.freeware#19967

From: J@M (D)
Subject: Re: google groups will soon be detached
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:58:19 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
 by: D - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:58 UTC

On Tue, 6 Feb 2024 02:34:15 -0800, "John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> wrote:
>D wrote:
>> with only 16 days until google is detached from usenet, probably most
>> server admins are already strengthening their systems against abusers,
>> setting stricter registration requirements, throttling bandwidth, etc.
>
>Maybe so, but not all of them will. Seems like there are always
>newsfeeds that don't care.

there's no going back . . . once google falls off the usenet radar, other
notoriously-spammy servers will stick out like a sore thumb, particularly
those that appear to function as troll farm storefronts . . . if almighty
google is saving face, those less invincible may not afford such luxuries

Re: google groups will soon be detached

<uq2edm$1und6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=19986&group=alt.comp.freeware#19986

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 03:37:23 -0800
 by: John C. - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:37 UTC

D wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> D wrote:
>>>
>>> with only 16 days until google is detached from usenet, probably most
>>> server admins are already strengthening their systems against abusers,
>>> setting stricter registration requirements, throttling bandwidth, etc.
>>
>> Maybe so, but not all of them will. Seems like there are always
>> newsfeeds that don't care.
>
> there's no going back . . . once google falls off the usenet radar, other
> notoriously-spammy servers will stick out like a sore thumb, particularly
> those that appear to function as troll farm storefronts . . . if almighty
> google is saving face, those less invincible may not afford such luxuries

Yes, you're correct, but IMO spam-farms have always stood out.
Oftentimes, the same for troll-farms.

Time will tell though.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out:
-crossposts (sent to multiple newsgroups) at a time
-posts sent via Google Groups* due to spam from that source
-trolls (eg. "Bucky Breeder" and his many sock puppets)

If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

computers / alt.comp.freeware / google groups will soon be detached