From: nospam.Nicola.Mettimano@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org (Nicola Mettimano)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Accented words problem
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:04:24 +1300
 by: Nicola Mettimano - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 02:04 UTC

Hello guys, on my Mystic based BBS (under Ubuntu 22.04) I have a problem with
accented words, when I write them, strange symbols appear and I have to use
the normal vowels with the apostrophe.
This the problem: è this is e with accent...
Some idea?

Re: Accented words problem

<2152127716@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2008&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2008

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: Accented words problem
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 14:33:51 +1300
 by: g00r00 - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:33 UTC

NM> Hello guys, on my Mystic based BBS (under Ubuntu 22.04) I have a problem
NM> with accented words, when I write them, strange symbols appear and I
NM> have to use the normal vowels with the apostrophe.
NM> This the problem: è this is e with accent...

This is most likely that your terminal is using UTF8. You should consider
connecting to your BBS with a known BBS terminal or you can switch to UTF8 in
Mystic as well but support for it isn't the best in the current version.

.... I have a really good memory, except it's short.

Re: Accented words problem

<3597795296@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2012&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2012

From: nospam.Nicola.Mettimano@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org (Nicola Mettimano)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 23:42:01 +1300
 by: Nicola Mettimano - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 10:42 UTC

Hello g00r00,
g0> This is most likely that your terminal is using UTF8. You should
g0> consider connecting to your BBS with a known BBS terminal or you can
g0> switch to UTF8 in Mystic as well but support for it isn't the best in
g0> the current version.
so i can't use syncterm because of no way to copy paste text and i can't use a
standard gnome terminal because of no way to write accented words; I also tryed
with cp437 bin (on github) but no way to use backspace.... all is very
frustrating... there is no way to have a decent experience i think.

Re: Accented words problem

<3653231042@f157.n267.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2013&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2013

From: nospam.Al.DeRosa@f157.n267.z1.fidonet.org (Al DeRosa)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:14:56 +1300
 by: Al DeRosa - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 05:14 UTC

On 23 Jan 2023, Nicola Mettimano said the following...
NM> so i can't use syncterm because of no way to copy paste text and i can't
NM> use a standard gnome terminal because of no way to write accented words;
NM> I also tryed with cp437 bin (on github) but no way to use backspace....
NM> all is very frustrating... there is no way to have a decent experience i
NM> think.

Have you tried Netrunner?? Not sure if it will fix your issues, but it runs
very well and supports CP437 and VT-102.. Give that a shot too...

Al

.... Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives

Re: Accented words problem

<1605771810@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2016&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2016

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:59:49 +1300
 by: g00r00 - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 20:59 UTC

NM> so i can't use syncterm because of no way to copy paste text and i can't
NM> use a standard gnome terminal because of no way to write accented words;
NM> I also tryed with cp437 bin (on github) but no way to use backspace....
NM> all is very frustrating... there is no way to have a decent experience i
NM> think.

What is your location?

The only one of those that is a BBS terminal is SyncTerm, so that is your best
bet. I can't say why its not allowing cut and paste. Perhaps it disables it
when the remote side can use mouse support?

You could also try NodeSpy Terminal that comes with Mystic if you're using
Mystic.

In Mystic you can enable asking for a codepage on login and you can select
UTF-8 there or ASCII based on your terminal type. Your terminal encoding needs
to match that of the BBS otherwise you're going to get odd issues.

.... Enter any 12-digit prime number to continue.