Uncertain fortune is thoroughly mastered by the equity of the calculation. -- Blaise Pascal

computers / news.software.readers / Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

SubjectAuthor
* Another Thunderbird tutorialRetro Guy
+- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialrek2 hispagatos
+* Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialllp
|+- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialRetro Guy
|+- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialMichael Uplawski
|+- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialMichael Uplawski
|`- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialMichael Uplawski
+* Re: Another Thunderbird tutorials|b
|`- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialRetro Guy
`- Re: Another Thunderbird tutorialcandycanearter07

1
Another Thunderbird tutorial

<1bc6811bd44a1b23c550d59fed1c6f31$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2009&group=news.software.readers#2009

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Subject: Another Thunderbird tutorial
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:27:49 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:27 UTC

Since we're seeing more and more people trying to learn how to connect a
newsreader, last week I put together a simple tutorial for getting
Thunderbird connected with a Usenet server:
https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html

Any admins that wish to copy it are welcome to do so. Here is a link to a
..pdf that anyone is welcome to put on their own site if they wish:
https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.pdf

I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<uqttci$1e4dn$4@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2011&group=news.software.readers#2011

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:38:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:38 UTC

On 2024-02-18, Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:
> Since we're seeing more and more people trying to learn how to connect a
> newsreader, last week I put together a simple tutorial for getting
> Thunderbird connected with a Usenet server:
> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html
>
> Any admins that wish to copy it are welcome to do so. Here is a link to a
> .pdf that anyone is welcome to put on their own site if they wish:
> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.pdf
>
> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

Thank you! I just shared it on mastodon and matrix

Happy Hacking
ReK2

--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @rek2@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<uqtujf$20qis$1@news.usenet.ovh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2012&group=news.software.readers#2012

From: llp@news.usenet.ovh (llp)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:59:11 +0100
 by: llp - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 21:59 UTC

Le 18/02/2024, Retro Guy a supposé :
> Since we're seeing more and more people trying to learn how to connect a
> newsreader, last week I put together a simple tutorial for getting
> Thunderbird connected with a Usenet server:
> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html
>
> Any admins that wish to copy it are welcome to do so. Here is a link to a
> .pdf that anyone is welcome to put on their own site if they wish:
> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.pdf
>
> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

Great idea !

Can i do a french translation of your document ?

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<3cf892053db74dd1685eb674b0524c59$1@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2013&group=news.software.readers#2013

From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:38:28 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:38 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:59:11 +0100, llp wrote:

> Le 18/02/2024, Retro Guy a supposé :
>> Since we're seeing more and more people trying to learn how to connect a
>> newsreader, last week I put together a simple tutorial for getting
>> Thunderbird connected with a Usenet server:
>> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html
>>
>> Any admins that wish to copy it are welcome to do so. Here is a link to a
>> .pdf that anyone is welcome to put on their own site if they wish:
>> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.pdf
>>
>> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
>> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.
>

> Great idea !
>
> Can i do a french translation of your document ?

Certainly, feel free to do so.

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<AABl0v2S3aIAAAfF.A3.flnews@ferrat.uplawski.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2014&group=news.software.readers#2014

From: michael.uplawski@uplawski.eu (Michael Uplawski)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:04:50 +0100
 by: Michael Uplawski - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:04 UTC

Good morning

I's like to know in which way this tutorial is *different* from others.
While I do not use Thunderbird, I can find this on the Web:

<https://nyc1.sx.ggtyler.dev/search?q=thunderbird%20usenet%20access&language=auto&time_range=&safesearch=0&categories=general>

llp wrote in news.software.readers:
> > I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> > spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

This will not change, I am afraid.
But any detail *not covered in the existing documentation* is worth an additional effort.

I will not dwell on my criticism, but have written a lot of useless
documentation, myself. Not bereft of content and intention, but utterly ill
directed to a public which had no use for it.

Peace.

Michael
--
He's an ill cook that breeds contempt

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<AABl0v3UitoAAApW.A3.flnews@ferrat.uplawski.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2015&group=news.software.readers#2015

From: michael.uplawski@uplawski.eu (Michael Uplawski)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Supersedes: <AABl0v2S3aIAAAfF.A3.flnews@ferrat.uplawski.eu>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:05:56 +0100
 by: Michael Uplawski - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:05 UTC

Stupid orthography, stupid supersedes.

Good morning

I'd like to know in which way this tutorial is *different* from others. While
I do not use Thunderbird, I can find this on the Web:

<https://nyc1.sx.ggtyler.dev/search?q=thunderbird%20usenet%20access&language=auto&time_range=&safesearch=0&categories=general>

llp wrote in news.software.readers:
> > I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> > spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

This will not change, I am afraid. But any detail *not covered in the existing
documentation* is worth an additional effort.

I will not dwell on my criticism, but have written a lot of useless
documentation, myself. Not bereft of content and intention, but utterly ill
directed to a public which had no use for it.

Peace.

Michael
--
He's an ill cook that breeds contempt

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<AABl0v4JWMsAAApW.A3.flnews@ferrat.uplawski.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2016&group=news.software.readers#2016

From: michael.uplawski@uplawski.eu (Michael Uplawski)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Supersedes: <AABl0v3UitoAAApW.A3.flnews@ferrat.uplawski.eu>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:06:49 +0100
 by: Michael Uplawski - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 07:06 UTC

Retro Guy wrote in news.software.readers:
> > I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> > spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

This will not change, I am afraid. But any detail *not covered in the existing
documentation* is worth an additional effort.

I will not dwell on my criticism, but have written a lot of useless
documentation, myself. Not bereft of content and intention, but utterly ill
directed to a public which had no use for it.

Peace.

Michael
--
He's an ill cook that breeds contempt

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<l3kdogFim94U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2021&group=news.software.readers#2021

From: me@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 20:44:16 +0100
 by: s|b - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:44 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:27:49 -0700, Retro Guy wrote:

> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

I would add links to some free newsservers (and NIN). Also, how to
quote: <https://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>

And Netiquette Guidelines:
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html>

Your screenshots seem a bit small (under 1440x900). I can see the
originals are bigger when I open them in a new tab.

--
s|b

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<0dc0db5517ffaf0c7ec31c5b50a58963@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2028&group=news.software.readers#2028

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 00:10:58 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 00:10 UTC

s|b wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:27:49 -0700, Retro Guy wrote:

>> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
>> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

> I would add links to some free newsservers (and NIN). Also, how to
> quote: <https://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>

> And Netiquette Guidelines:
> <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html>

It's really just meant to help with Thunderbird. There are others who maintain lists of free newsservers, stuff about netiquette, etc. Maybe someone wants to set up a page with all of it.

> Your screenshots seem a bit small (under 1440x900). I can see the
> originals are bigger when I open them in a new tab.

Probably because I develop and work on desktops. Sometimes I forget that people use smaller screens. Maybe I will make the images links to make it easy to open them.

--
Retro Guy

Re: Another Thunderbird tutorial

<ur3i5h$2p2hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2031&group=news.software.readers#2031

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 19:03:45 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 01:03 UTC

On 2/18/24 12:27, Retro Guy wrote:
> Since we're seeing more and more people trying to learn how to connect a
> newsreader, last week I put together a simple tutorial for getting
> Thunderbird connected with a Usenet server:
> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html
>
> Any admins that wish to copy it are welcome to do so. Here is a link to a
> .pdf that anyone is welcome to put on their own site if they wish:
> https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.pdf
>
> I'm just hoping it's useful, and can relieve some time that people are
> spending repeatedly explaining the same thing to new users.

Hope this gets a few more people on USENET!