<james> abuse me. I'm so lame I sent a bug report to debian-devel-changes -- Seen on #Debian

computers / alt.comp.freeware / Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

SubjectAuthor
* Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?John C.
+* Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?John C.
|`* Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?John Careless
| `- Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?John C.
+* Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?Bill Bradshaw
|`- Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?John C.
+* Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?John C.
`* Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?Zo
 `- Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?Zo

1
Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<uu95l4$11bm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20603&group=alt.comp.freeware#20603

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows
10?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:55:48 -0700
 by: John C. - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 13:55 UTC

I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
"feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my ability
to set colors of the UI.

Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?

Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.

TIA.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out crossposts (messages sent to
multiple newsgroups at a time) and from various trolls (like "Bill
Bennett".)
If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<uu9afb$12isu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20609&group=alt.comp.freeware#20609

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in
Windows 10?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:18:01 -0700
 by: John C. - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 15:18 UTC

John C. wrote:
> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my ability
> to set colors of the UI.
>
> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>
> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.
>
> TIA.

I just tried to use the following search terms in DuckDuckGo (which uses
the Bing search engine by the way):

restore "Windows Color and Appearance" to Windows 10

and of course, it replied:
No results found for restore "Windows Color and Appearance" to Windows 10.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Try fewer keywords.

This is probably because Microsoft is controlling all search results and
doesn't want anybody figuring out how to change their CRAPPY WINDOWS 10 UI.

So in desperation, I used the Russian Yandex search engine to do the
same search and rewarded instantly with many great results including
this one:

https://9to5answer.com/window-color-and-appearance-removed-in-win10

Think about it. Microsoft controls what you see when you use the Bing
search engine and Google controls what you see when you use the ...well
....Google search engine. Both of those monsters have WAY too much
control over what you see and since they're both in cahoots with the
U.S. government, you won't see a whole lot.

Does anybody have any other ways to get around M$ and Gluggle's
censorship of the internet (other than Tor)?

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out crossposts (messages sent to
multiple newsgroups at a time) and from various trolls (like "Bill
Bennett".)
If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<l6qtaiFj0tmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20612&group=alt.comp.freeware#20612

From: bradshaw@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 08:35:28 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:35 UTC

John C. wrote:
> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my
> ability to set colors of the UI.
>
> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>
> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.
>
> TIA.

Have you tried Open Shell. My Win 10 Pro looks just like Win 7.

<Bill>

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<1c1x1ovv00cg2.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20613&group=alt.comp.freeware#20613

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 13:21:20 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 18:21 UTC

"John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my ability
> to set colors of the UI.
>
> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>
> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.

I thought someone posted here before that they found a good replacement
that lets you change the colors how you want. Let me look ...

Yep, it was here, and *you* posted about it 2 days ago. Your subject
header was:

Classic Color Panel for Windows 10

You don't like that tool anymore?

"CCP provides a unique opportunity to create custom profiles based on
color settings, then control these profiles manually or automatically.
Custom profiles can be saved or transferred to another machine."

Sounds like you need to load the program on logging into your Windows
account to reinstate a saved profile, but, of course, once you made all
the tweaks you have to save the setup as a profile to reload later.
The "Apply (Now)" menu button is obvious, but I don't know that the
"Apply (Log Off)" menu button does. There is a "Profiles" menu button,
and maybe you go there to save your changes as a profile.

They show a list of profiles from which you can select, so you can save
multiple profiles. In addition, in that menu is "Enable Auto Profile".
Maybe loads the program on login to load a saved profile.

Alongside on the left is an index to help pages. One is labeled
"Automatic mode". From that page's description, has nothing to do with
CCP added as a startup program to apply a saved profile. Is CCP listed
as a startup program? There is mention of a systray icon for CCP which
hints it is a startup program.

Is CCP really freeware? See:

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel-activation

Looks like 30-day trialware after which it degenerates into crippleware.
You have to pay $9.95 to keep full functionality. They don't mention
how crippled is "CCP can be used with some restrictions". So, for this
newsgroup, yeah, a different tool is needed.

You don't mention which colors you want to change. WinAero Tweaker lets
you change some, but not as many. I think it will only let you tweak
the active and inactive titlebar colors.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<soZNN.18681435$ee1.14946168@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20615&group=alt.comp.freeware#20615

From: r9imgO@yahoo.ligan.invalid (John Careless)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:06:01 -0000
 by: John Careless - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:06 UTC

John C. wrote:

> I just tried to use the following search terms in DuckDuckGo (which uses
> the Bing search engine by the way):
>
> restore "Windows Color and Appearance" to Windows 10
>
> and of course, it replied:
> No results found for restore "Windows Color and Appearance" to Windows 10.
>
> Suggestions:
>
> Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
> Try different keywords.
> Try more general keywords.
> Try fewer keywords.
>
> This is probably because Microsoft is controlling all search results and
> doesn't want anybody figuring out how to change their CRAPPY WINDOWS 10 UI.

I used Bing itself to do the exact same search and was rewarded
instantly with many great results. Evidently it is not Microsoft
blocking those search results. Think about it.

The conspiracy theory lives in darkness and cannot survive in the light.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<uubvim$1s00v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20634&group=alt.comp.freeware#20634

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Windows 10?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 08:30:29 -0700
 by: John C. - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 15:30 UTC

John Careless wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>
>> I just tried to use the following search terms in DuckDuckGo (which uses
>> the Bing search engine by the way):
>>
>> restore "Windows Color and Appearance" to Windows 10
>>
>> and of course, it replied:
>> No results found for restore "Windows Color and Appearance" to Windows 10.
>>
>> Suggestions:
>>
>> Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
>> Try different keywords.
>> Try more general keywords.
>> Try fewer keywords.
>>
>> This is probably because Microsoft is controlling all search results and
>> doesn't want anybody figuring out how to change their CRAPPY WINDOWS 10 UI.
>
> I used Bing itself to do the exact same search and was rewarded
> instantly with many great results. Evidently it is not Microsoft
> blocking those search results. Think about it.
>
> The conspiracy theory lives in darkness and cannot survive in the light.

Just tried DDG again with the same results.

Then I tried Bing and got some hits. None of them were any help though.

No idea why DDG doesn't find anything, since it's basically a
meta-search website.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out crossposts (messages sent to
multiple newsgroups at a time) and from various trolls (like "Bill
Bennett".)
If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<uubvm3$1s00v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20635&group=alt.comp.freeware#20635

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Windows 10?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 08:32:17 -0700
 by: John C. - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 15:32 UTC

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> John C. wrote:
>> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
>> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
>> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my
>> ability to set colors of the UI.
>>
>> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
>> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>>
>> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.
>>
>> TIA.
>
> Have you tried Open Shell. My Win 10 Pro looks just like Win 7.

First thing I installed and used on this (now) W10 computer.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have any settings that affect the OS's
"Personalize" settings.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out crossposts (messages sent to
multiple newsgroups at a time) and from various trolls (like "Bill
Bennett".)
If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<uuc00l$1s00v$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20636&group=alt.comp.freeware#20636

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Windows 10?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 08:37:55 -0700
 by: John C. - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 15:37 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> "John C." <r9jmg0@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
>> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
>> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my ability
>> to set colors of the UI.
>>
>> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
>> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>>
>> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.
>
> I thought someone posted here before that they found a good replacement
> that lets you change the colors how you want. Let me look ...
>
> Yep, it was here, and *you* posted about it 2 days ago. Your subject
> header was:
>
> Classic Color Panel for Windows 10
>
> You don't like that tool anymore?
>
> "CCP provides a unique opportunity to create custom profiles based on
> color settings, then control these profiles manually or automatically.
> Custom profiles can be saved or transferred to another machine."
>
> Sounds like you need to load the program on logging into your Windows
> account to reinstate a saved profile, but, of course, once you made all
> the tweaks you have to save the setup as a profile to reload later.
> The "Apply (Now)" menu button is obvious, but I don't know that the
> "Apply (Log Off)" menu button does. There is a "Profiles" menu button,
> and maybe you go there to save your changes as a profile.
>
> They show a list of profiles from which you can select, so you can save
> multiple profiles. In addition, in that menu is "Enable Auto Profile".
> Maybe loads the program on login to load a saved profile.
>
> Alongside on the left is an index to help pages. One is labeled
> "Automatic mode". From that page's description, has nothing to do with
> CCP added as a startup program to apply a saved profile. Is CCP listed
> as a startup program? There is mention of a systray icon for CCP which
> hints it is a startup program.
>
> Is CCP really freeware? See:
>
> https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel-activation
>
> Looks like 30-day trialware after which it degenerates into crippleware.
> You have to pay $9.95 to keep full functionality. They don't mention
> how crippled is "CCP can be used with some restrictions". So, for this
> newsgroup, yeah, a different tool is needed.
>
> You don't mention which colors you want to change. WinAero Tweaker lets
> you change some, but not as many. I think it will only let you tweak
> the active and inactive titlebar colors.

Thanks for pointing out WT:

https://winaero.com/

There's another website for it here:

https://winaerotweaker.com/

but I think the first one is a better choice because Snapfiles gave it
as the home page for the program.

Just downloaded it from the first source and will check it out.

--
John C. No ad, CD, cripple, demo, nag, pay, pirated, share, spy,
time-limited, trial or web wares for me please.

So that I don't see them, I filter out crossposts (messages sent to
multiple newsgroups at a time) and from various trolls (like "Bill
Bennett".)
If you do the same, the group will be easier for you to read.

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<mn.22237e841242d367.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20695&group=alt.comp.freeware#20695

From: homenet@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:07:54 -0400
 by: Zo - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:07 UTC

John C. wrote :
> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my ability
> to set colors of the UI.
>
> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>
> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.
>
> TIA.

John,
have you tried this one? It appears to let you do what you want to
do....

Classic Color Panel

Classic Color Panel (CCP) is a utility that complements the
system-level color adjustment capabilities of Windows 10/11. It allows
you to make Windows 10/11 color settings, including non-public
settings, on a user-friendly interface

"Windows 7 includes a settings option that allows you to fine-tune the
display of each item. This option is no more available in Windows 10.
Classic Color Panel allows you to fine-tune the colors under Windows 10
as well."

Classic Color Panel works on Windows 10/11 operating system, it
requires no installation

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel

--
Zo

If a parsely farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Re: Freeware to restore the ability to control color settings in Windows 10?

<mn.224c7e84455ac2eb.138872@newsbill.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20696&group=alt.comp.freeware#20696

From: homenet@newsbill.net (Zo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:48:49 -0400
 by: Zo - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:48 UTC

It happens that Zo formulated :
> John C. wrote :
>> I am seriously loathing Windows 10 on my desktop. I wish I'd never
>> downdated to it from Windows 7. And probably the most seriously hated
>> "feature" is the new (to me) which almost completely removes my ability
>> to set colors of the UI.
>>
>> Does anybody know of any freeware program which will return the UI
>> settings adjustments to the way Windows 7 allowed a person to do it?
>>
>> Fuck Windows 10, by the way. I hate it.
>>
>> TIA.
>
> John,
> have you tried this one? It appears to let you do what you want to do....
>

> Classic Color Panel
>
> Classic Color Panel (CCP) is a utility that complements the system-level
> color adjustment capabilities of Windows 10/11. It allows you to make Windows
> 10/11 color settings, including non-public settings, on a user-friendly
> interface
>
> "Windows 7 includes a settings option that allows you to fine-tune the
> display of each item. This option is no more available in Windows 10. Classic
> Color Panel allows you to fine-tune the colors under Windows 10 as well."
>
> Classic Color Panel works on Windows 10/11 operating system, it requires no
> installation
>

> https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel

Forget it. At the end of the terms of use is this message:

"9. After 30 days of use, the software requires activation."

Sorry about that!

--
Zo

Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do, PRACTICE.