"In short, _N is Richardian if, and only if, _N is not Richardian."

computers / alt.comp.freeware / Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

SubjectAuthor
* Emsisoft Emergency KitAllan Higdon
+* Re: Emsisoft Emergency KitVanguardLH
|`* Re: Emsisoft Emergency KitAllan Higdon
| `- Re: Emsisoft Emergency KitVanguardLH
`- Re: Emsisoft Emergency KitYuhler Speertraeger

1
Emsisoft Emergency Kit

<op.2lrvqvbr1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20706&group=alt.comp.freeware#20706

From: allanh@vivaldi.net (Allan Higdon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 15:41:09 -0500
 by: Allan Higdon - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:41 UTC

"A scanner that can be used without installation to scan and clean infected computers."

"Emsisoft Emergency Kit is free for private use."

Home Page
https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergency-kit/

Download
https://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe

Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

<751m1ta0x1vk.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20707&group=alt.comp.freeware#20707

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 17:23:30 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 22:23 UTC

Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:

> "A scanner that can be used without installation to scan and clean infected computers."
> "Emsisoft Emergency Kit is free for private use."
> https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergency-kit/

Did not see the 2nd citation you noted of "free for private use".

System requirements: Windows 10 (64 bit), Server 2016, and higher.

Didn't realize Emisoft was still around. Haven't heard of them for
years. Not in AV testing for several years at av-comparatives.org and
av-test.org. Did find mention of who they are at:

https://www.av-comparatives.org/vendors/emsisoft/
https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/emsisoft

Testing on Emisoft looks to have ceased after Oct 2018. However, if an
AV vendor doesn't supply a copy of their product, likely they don't get
tested.

Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

<op.2lswksmn1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20710&group=alt.comp.freeware#20710

From: allanh@vivaldi.net (Allan Higdon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2024 04:56:42 -0500
 by: Allan Higdon - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 09:56 UTC

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 17:23:30 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:

> Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:
>
>> "A scanner that can be used without installation to scan and clean infected computers."
>> "Emsisoft Emergency Kit is free for private use."
>> https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergency-kit/
>
> Did not see the 2nd citation you noted of "free for private use".

Below the screenshots is the word "License".

> System requirements: Windows 10 (64 bit), Server 2016, and higher.
>
> Didn't realize Emisoft was still around. Haven't heard of them for
> years. Not in AV testing for several years at av-comparatives.org and
> av-test.org. Did find mention of who they are at:
>
> https://www.av-comparatives.org/vendors/emsisoft/
> https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/emsisoft
>
> Testing on Emisoft looks to have ceased after Oct 2018. However, if an
> AV vendor doesn't supply a copy of their product, likely they don't get
> tested.

The program window does show that it's free for personal use.
I tried it with the more thorough Malware Scan.
There was 1 false positive.
It detected the ChromeCookiesView program by NirSoft as a Trojan, which I reported.
There is a nag message asking to install their software after each scan.
I believe that Kaspersky is the best for the fewest false positives.
No nags with the Kaspersky scanner, either.

Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

<7qtcm0rblbfu.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20717&group=alt.comp.freeware#20717

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:59:55 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 18:59 UTC

Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>
>> Allan Higdon <allanh@vivaldi.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "A scanner that can be used without installation to scan and clean infected computers."
>>> "Emsisoft Emergency Kit is free for private use."
>>> https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergency-kit/
>>
>> Did not see the 2nd citation you noted of "free for private use".
>
> Below the screenshots is the word "License".

Yep, it's there. Must've scrolled too far. Yet I had done a web page
search on "free", and no match, but today there was a match.

> The program window does show that it's free for personal use.
> I tried it with the more thorough Malware Scan.
> There was 1 false positive.
> It detected the ChromeCookiesView program by NirSoft as a Trojan, which I reported.

Unfortunately a lot of AVs claim Nirsoft's tools (several of them) are
either malware or PUPs (Probably Unwanted Programs). They can be used
by script kiddies to incorporate into their malware, but so can a hell
of a lot of other tools.

> There is a nag message asking to install their software after each scan.
> I believe that Kaspersky is the best for the fewest false positives.
> No nags with the Kaspersky scanner, either.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/false-alarm-test-september-2023/
(Note: Other than Defender, they don't test free versions. Often the
free versions are lacking payware capabilities.)

is the latest test (don't know the frequency of their tests) regarding
false positives, but those results are from installware, not from
portable AVs. However, your software suite and where you visit could be
different than their setup.

I gave up on Avast. Too much of an ad platform built into their
products. They acquired AVG. Avira was acquired by InstaCorp, and 8
months later acquired by Norton LifeLock. Who owns what is getting
muddied. Avast also acquired Piriform, and added their ad platform into
CCleaner. Not a problem until someone at Avast decides it's time for a
marketing campaign. Avast's Android product was so rife with ads that
it was tough to figure out what parts of the screens were to use or
configure the AV, and which were ads.

With Defender, I think I've had all of 2 false positives over several
years. I recall having more with Avast, but still not many, most of
which were tools I chose to install and knew what they were for.

Re: Emsisoft Emergency Kit

<MPG.407cad765834e1b9989887@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20724&group=alt.comp.freeware#20724

From: oenvafgbez.lhuyre@znvyahyy.invalid (Yuhler Speertraeger)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 13:19:04 -0300
 by: Yuhler Speertraeger - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:19 UTC

On article <op.2lrvqvbr1svx94@bedroom-pc.attlocal.net>, Allan Higdon
wrote (at least in part):

> "A scanner that can be used without installation to scan and clean infected computers."
>
> "Emsisoft Emergency Kit is free for private use."
>
> Home Page
> https://www.emsisoft.com/en/home/emergency-kit/
>
> Download
> https://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftEmergencyKit.exe

I've been using it for awhile, currently stuck on version
2021.9.0.11172, the last which works with Windows 7. It does loads
the updated signatures file. EEK is a two-engine scanner: EmsiSoft
and BitDefender, IIRC.

--
Best,
Yuhler

Due to spam I'm filtering-out GoogleGroups. Sorry. :(