From: J@M (D)
Subject: Tails 6.1 (2024-03-27)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:06:49 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
 by: D - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 12:06 UTC

https://tails.net/news/version_6.1/index.en.html
>Tails 6.1 2024-03-27
>Changes and updates
> Update Tor Browser to 13.0.13. This includes the changes brought by 13.0.12.
> Update Thunderbird to 115.9.0.
>Fixed problems
> Fix Onion Circuits. #20233
> Fix Welcome Screen frequently showing a "Welcome to Tails!" is not
> responding error. #20236
> Fix Videos showing an error message during playback. #20243
> Fix problems with changing the passphrase of the Persistent Storage. #20217
> Tails Cloner can now install and upgrade to devices with multiple mounted
> partitions. #20149
> The Persistent Storage settings now display all enabled custom Persistent
> Storage features. #19267
> Mitigate the RFDS Intel CPU vulnerabilities. #20274
>For more details, read our changelog.
>Get Tails 6.1
> To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your Persistent Storage
> Automatic upgrades are only available from Tails 6.0 to 6.1.
> All other users have to do a manual upgrade.
>To install Tails 6.1 on a new USB stick
> Follow our installation instructions:
> Install from Windows
> Install from macOS
> Install from Linux
> Install from Debian or Ubuntu using the command line and GnuPG
>The Persistent Storage on the USB stick will be lost if you install instead
>of upgrading.
>To download only
> If you don't need installation or upgrade instructions, you can download Tails
> 6.1 directly:
> For USB sticks (USB image)
> For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)
[end quote]

Re: Tails 6.1 (2024-03-27)

<bb8j0jlopk06hu0l4lj3lfn4nqe49rl423@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20640&group=alt.comp.freeware#20640

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Tails 6.1 (2024-03-27)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:50:59 -0300
 by: Shadow - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 17:50 UTC

On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:06:49 +0200 (CEST), D <J@M> wrote:

>https://tails.net/news/version_6.1/index.en.html
>>Tails 6.1 2024-03-27
>>Changes and updates
>> Update Tor Browser to 13.0.13. This includes the changes brought by 13.0.12.
>> Update Thunderbird to 115.9.0.
>>Fixed problems
>> Fix Onion Circuits. #20233
>> Fix Welcome Screen frequently showing a "Welcome to Tails!" is not
>> responding error. #20236
>> Fix Videos showing an error message during playback. #20243
>> Fix problems with changing the passphrase of the Persistent Storage. #20217
>> Tails Cloner can now install and upgrade to devices with multiple mounted
>> partitions. #20149
>> The Persistent Storage settings now display all enabled custom Persistent
>> Storage features. #19267
>> Mitigate the RFDS Intel CPU vulnerabilities. #20274
>>For more details, read our changelog.
>>Get Tails 6.1
>> To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your Persistent Storage
>> Automatic upgrades are only available from Tails 6.0 to 6.1.
>> All other users have to do a manual upgrade.
>>To install Tails 6.1 on a new USB stick
>> Follow our installation instructions:
>> Install from Windows
>> Install from macOS
>> Install from Linux
>> Install from Debian or Ubuntu using the command line and GnuPG
>>The Persistent Storage on the USB stick will be lost if you install instead
>>of upgrading.
>>To download only
>> If you don't need installation or upgrade instructions, you can download Tails
>> 6.1 directly:
>> For USB sticks (USB image)
>> For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)
>[end quote]

Does Tails use systemD?
It was an early adopter?
And it's funded by the NSA?

OK, no questions then.

<https://lcamtuf.substack.com/p/technologist-vs-spy-the-xz-backdoor>
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Re: Tails 6.1 (2024-03-27)

<uv6o59$3vgb1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20760&group=alt.comp.freeware#20760

From: super.pooh@fluffyunderbelly.invalid (p-0 0-h the cat (coder))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 19:09:00 +0000
 by: p-0 0-h the cat (cod - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 19:09 UTC

On 31/03/2024 17:50, Shadow wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:06:49 +0200 (CEST), D <J@M> wrote:
>

>> https://tails.net/news/version_6.1/index.en.html
>>> Tails 6.1 2024-03-27
>>> Changes and updates
>>> Update Tor Browser to 13.0.13. This includes the changes brought by 13.0.12.
>>> Update Thunderbird to 115.9.0.
>>> Fixed problems
>>> Fix Onion Circuits. #20233
>>> Fix Welcome Screen frequently showing a "Welcome to Tails!" is not
>>> responding error. #20236
>>> Fix Videos showing an error message during playback. #20243
>>> Fix problems with changing the passphrase of the Persistent Storage. #20217
>>> Tails Cloner can now install and upgrade to devices with multiple mounted
>>> partitions. #20149
>>> The Persistent Storage settings now display all enabled custom Persistent
>>> Storage features. #19267
>>> Mitigate the RFDS Intel CPU vulnerabilities. #20274
>>> For more details, read our changelog.
>>> Get Tails 6.1
>>> To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your Persistent Storage
>>> Automatic upgrades are only available from Tails 6.0 to 6.1.
>>> All other users have to do a manual upgrade.
>>> To install Tails 6.1 on a new USB stick
>>> Follow our installation instructions:
>>> Install from Windows
>>> Install from macOS
>>> Install from Linux
>>> Install from Debian or Ubuntu using the command line and GnuPG
>>> The Persistent Storage on the USB stick will be lost if you install instead
>>> of upgrading.
>>> To download only
>>> If you don't need installation or upgrade instructions, you can download Tails
>>> 6.1 directly:
>>> For USB sticks (USB image)
>>> For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)
>> [end quote]
>
> Does Tails use systemD?
> It was an early adopter?
> And it's funded by the NSA?
>
> OK, no questions then.
>
> <https://lcamtuf.substack.com/p/technologist-vs-spy-the-xz-backdoor>
> []'s

Mr Shadow, my apologies for not replying sooner but I've been a bit
busy. I did have a look at this about a week ago.

Couple of links I found useful.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/04/what-we-know-about-the-xz-utils-backdoor-that-almost-infected-the-world/

https://www.akamai.com/blog/security-research/critical-linux-backdoor-xz-utils-discovered-what-to-know

Re Tails I am using version 6.1 and this uses xz-utils/now 5.4.1-0.2
amd64 [installed,local] so well before the alleged backdoored versions
5.6.0 and 5.6.1

and yes Tails does use systemd

Shit the cat sends his love. Thanks for the heads up. Le Pooh xx

p-0.0-h the cat, the number one influencer on the Usenet Social!
Live everyday like you're a really cool cat!
Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat
Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, BaStarD hacker, Resident evil,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

I mark any messages from trolls »Q« and 'Arlene' Holder as stinky

Re: Tails 6.1 (2024-03-27)

<mcqf1jh6v7g6lrqrcfr3e836k9mqlhl2k8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20766&group=alt.comp.freeware#20766

From: Sh@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:59:31 -0300
 by: Shadow - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:59 UTC

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 19:09:00 +0000, "p-0 0-h the cat (coder)
<super.pooh@fluffyunderbelly.invalid>" wrote:

>On 31/03/2024 17:50, Shadow wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 14:06:49 +0200 (CEST), D <J@M> wrote:
>>

>>> https://tails.net/news/version_6.1/index.en.html
>>> [end quote]
>>
>> Does Tails use systemD?
>> It was an early adopter?
>> And it's funded by the NSA?
>>
>> OK, no questions then.
>>
>> <https://lcamtuf.substack.com/p/technologist-vs-spy-the-xz-backdoor>
>> []'s
>
>Mr Shadow, my apologies for not replying sooner but I've been a bit
>busy. I did have a look at this about a week ago.
>
>Couple of links I found useful.
>
>https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/04/what-we-know-about-the-xz-utils-backdoor-that-almost-infected-the-world/
>
>https://www.akamai.com/blog/security-research/critical-linux-backdoor-xz-utils-discovered-what-to-know
>
>Re Tails I am using version 6.1 and this uses xz-utils/now 5.4.1-0.2
>amd64 [installed,local] so well before the alleged backdoored versions
>5.6.0 and 5.6.1

They were probably waiting to see if anyone noticed it ....

>and yes Tails does use systemd

Devuan does not, so I missed that Nasty Stupid A%^$holes
"feature". Oh well....
Note the main developer was bombed by "social media" to step
down ages before the hack, which was how the malicious group could
commandeer the xz-utils project. Not the work of a single individual.
So much for "latest is bestist".
BTW, Firefox and Thunderbird have had dozens of "critical
security issues that could lead to remote exploits" patched(sic) over
the last few months. Lets see the new ones they replace them with.
I'm so old I can remember when Firefox was a browser and
Thunderbird was an email client.

>Shit the cat sends his love. Thanks for the heads up. Le Pooh xx

xxx to you too.
[]'s