From: Yrrah-acf@acf.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: {OT} Windows 11 Start menu ads are now rolling out
Sender: yrrah-acf@acfacf.invalid
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:25:23 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:25 UTC

"Microsoft is starting to enable ads inside the Start menu on Windows
11 for all users. After testing these briefly with Windows Insiders
earlier this month, Microsoft has started to distribute update
KB5036980 to Windows 11 users this week, which includes
'recommendations' for apps from the Microsoft Store in the Start
menu.(...)
Luckily you can disable these ads, or 'recommendations' as Microsoft
calls them.(...)"
Article:
<https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/24/24138949/microsoft-windows-11-start-menu-ads-recommendations-setting-disable>

"(...) Microsoft is also testing putting Xbox Game Pass ads in the
Settings app, and some observers have called the approach
billboard-like. Features like the Start menu and the Settings app are
key parts of Windows 11, and having to see ads in important places
like that can feel intrusive and disruptive.(...)"
Article:
<https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/bad-news-windows-11-users-ads-are-coming-to-the-start-menu-but-theres-something-you-can-do-about-it>

Next step: users will have to pay Micro$oft if they want to disable
these ads? Just wondering...

Yrrah

Re: {OT} Windows 11 Start menu ads are now rolling out

<l8v49oFu091U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20876&group=alt.comp.freeware#20876

From: occam@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: {OT} Windows 11 Start menu ads are now rolling out
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:31:36 +0200
 by: occam - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:31 UTC

On 25/04/2024 14:25, Yrrah wrote:
> "Microsoft is starting to enable ads inside the Start menu on Windows
> 11 for all users. After testing these briefly with Windows Insiders
> earlier this month, Microsoft has started to distribute update
> KB5036980 to Windows 11 users this week, which includes
> 'recommendations' for apps from the Microsoft Store in the Start
> menu.(...)
> Luckily you can disable these ads, or 'recommendations' as Microsoft
> calls them.(...)"
> Article:
> <https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/24/24138949/microsoft-windows-11-start-menu-ads-recommendations-setting-disable>
>
> "(...) Microsoft is also testing putting Xbox Game Pass ads in the
> Settings app, and some observers have called the approach
> billboard-like. Features like the Start menu and the Settings app are
> key parts of Windows 11, and having to see ads in important places
> like that can feel intrusive and disruptive.(...)"
> Article:
> <https://www.techradar.com/computing/windows/bad-news-windows-11-users-ads-are-coming-to-the-start-menu-but-theres-something-you-can-do-about-it>
>
> Next step: users will have to pay Micro$oft if they want to disable
> these ads? Just wondering...

No, they will just need to 'upgrade' to Windows 10.

Re: {OT} Windows 11 Start menu ads are now rolling out

<v0dqh4$hool$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=20878&group=alt.comp.freeware#20878

From: super.pooh@fluffyunderbelly.invalid (p-0 0-h the cat (coder))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:49:00 +0000
 by: p-0 0-h the cat (cod - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:49 UTC

On 25/04/2024 13:31, occam wrote:
> On 25/04/2024 14:25, Yrrah wrote:
>> "Microsoft is starting to enable

> No, they will just need to

Switch a switch off. This is the kind of woefully inane nonsense that
drives cats towards self harm and drives the Linux mob into a frenzied
mix of hysterical laughter and pre-copulatory reacharounds. It's just
plain weird and ugly.

p-0.0-h the cat, the number one influencer on the Usenet Social!
Live everyday like you're a really cool cat!
Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat
Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, BaStarD hacker, Resident evil,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

I mark any messages from trolls »Q« and 'Arlene' Holder as stinky