The solution of this problem is trivial and is left as an exercise for the reader.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Switch of email clients

SubjectAuthor
* Switch of email clientsJoel
+* Re: Switch of email clientsPaul
|`* Re: Switch of email clientsJoel
| +* Re: Switch of email clientsPaul
| |`- Re: Switch of email clientsJoel
| `* Re: Switch of email clientsVanguardLH
|  +- Re: Switch of email clientsVanguardLH
|  `- Re: Switch of email clientsCharlie Glock
+* Re: Switch of email clients...winston
|+* Re: Switch of email clientsVanguardLH
||`- Re: Switch of email clients...winston
|`- Re: Switch of email clientsAndy Burns
+* Re: Switch of email clientsVanguardLH
|`- Re: Switch of email clients...winston
+- Re: Switch of email clientsJoel
`* Re: Switch of email clientsGremlin
 +* Re: Switch of email clientsDavid Brooks
 |`- Re: Switch of email clientsGremlin
 +* Re: Switch of email clientsBoris
 |+* Re: Switch of email clientsBoris
 ||`* Re: Switch of email clientsCarlos E.R.
 || `* Re: Switch of email clientsGremlin
 ||  `- Re: Switch of email clientsCarlos E.R.
 |+- Re: Switch of email clientsGraham J
 |`- Re: Switch of email clientsGremlin
 `* Re: Switch of email clientsJoel
  `- Re: Switch of email clientsGremlin

Pages:12
Switch of email clients

<g52s7i1g7ukur8ma5npdb0d8qn2o76vfq0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2124&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2124

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Switch of email clients
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 12:12:28 -0400
 by: Joel - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:12 UTC

I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
(a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
installed as a secondary Usenet client.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Switch of email clients

<u5lgcs$egic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2125&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2125

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Switch of email clients
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:26:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 20:26 UTC

On 6/5/2023 12:12 PM, Joel wrote:
> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
> installed as a secondary Usenet client.

Check news items today. "Outlook outage".

You were having a login problem caused by the outage.

The outage has since been resolved. Resolved maybe four hours ago.

Paul

Re: Switch of email clients

<u5lh83$ek1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2126&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2126

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:40:34 -0400
 by: ...winston - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 20:40 UTC

Joel wrote:
> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
> wouldn't start up, either. Weird.

Outlook.com backend which is used by Outlook preview app had temporary
service outages on and off from the early A.M. to mid P.M. hours.

Reports of service functioning normally have appeared, some
services(send/retrieve) are still experiencing problems as well as
another issue re: syncing with Contacts for Windows Teams.

Your issue has nothing to do with ad-free.
Anything labeled 'Preview' almost always means 'accept as-is, use-as-is,
expect-issues, preview=beta testing, preview-not ready for prime time
release).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Switch of email clients

<t7js7i1eiht4fqvcu5oje3v6boqfmbmtu6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2127&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2127

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 17:01:36 -0400
 by: Joel - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 21:01 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
>> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
>> installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>
>Check news items today. "Outlook outage".
>
>You were having a login problem caused by the outage.
>
>The outage has since been resolved. Resolved maybe four hours ago.

Yeah, I kind of figured that out, but yet I am still stuck without an
option other than reinstalling Windows, to get the app back. Microsoft
is retarded.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Switch of email clients

<u5lk52$evho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2128&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2128

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 17:30:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 21:30 UTC

On 6/5/2023 5:01 PM, Joel wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
>>> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
>>> installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>>
>> Check news items today. "Outlook outage".
>>
>> You were having a login problem caused by the outage.
>>
>> The outage has since been resolved. Resolved maybe four hours ago.
>

> Yeah, I kind of figured that out, but yet I am still stuck without an
> option other than reinstalling Windows, to get the app back. Microsoft
> is retarded.

Look for package identifier. There may still be traces. Then follow
instructions online for reinstall, using package identifier or manifest
file pointer, to give the thing inspiration.

explorer shell:appsfolder # how I find my Mail icon

This didn't help.

https://www.makeuseof.com/outlook-preview-app-windows/

But this might. Try this in MSEdge (could get to page in Firefox).

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/outlook-for-windows/9NRX63209R7B

( via https://www.askvg.com/windows-11-mail-app-showing-try-the-new-outlook-toggle-to-switch-to-new-outlook-app/ )

Paul

Paul

Re: Switch of email clients

<l1ms7ipn2oq88j8lce8a6jmh0jhv0rkpjb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2129&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2129

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 17:49:02 -0400
 by: Joel - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 21:49 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> Check news items today. "Outlook outage".
>>>
>>> You were having a login problem caused by the outage.
>>>
>>> The outage has since been resolved. Resolved maybe four hours ago.
>>
>> Yeah, I kind of figured that out, but yet I am still stuck without an
>> option other than reinstalling Windows, to get the app back. Microsoft
>> is retarded.
>
>Try this in MSEdge (could get to page in Firefox).
>
> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/outlook-for-windows/9NRX63209R7B
>
> ( via https://www.askvg.com/windows-11-mail-app-showing-try-the-new-outlook-toggle-to-switch-to-new-outlook-app/ )

Ah, that worked, searching the MS Store for Outlook hadn't, earlier,
It just showed the whole Office suite. Nevertheless, now the Outlook
app is having major problems, again.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Switch of email clients

<1bf93mxbomxcy$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2130&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2130

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 17:01:12 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 22:01 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
>>> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
>>> installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>>
>> Check news items today. "Outlook outage".
>> You were having a login problem caused by the outage.
>> The outage has since been resolved. Resolved maybe four hours ago.
>
> Yeah, I kind of figured that out, but yet I am still stuck without an
> option other than reinstalling Windows, to get the app back. Microsoft
> is retarded.

From online reading, I don't see a difference between the Mail app that
I have on Windows 10 (that I don't use) to the Mail app on Windows 11.
So, I did a search at the MS Store (using a web browser instead of the
MS Store app), and found:

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mail-and-calendar/9WZDNCRFHVQM

It's a really old app. Published back in 2014. No updates dates
mentioned at their app store page, but perhaps the app gets updated via
Windows Updates.

https://www.minitool.com/news/mail-app-download-reinstall-on-windows-10-11.html

Microsoft's Mail app is extremely basic. You'd be better served with a
3rd-party e-mail client, like Betterbird that you mentioned, em Client,
BlueMail, etc (MailBird is payware, and subscriptionware). I gave up on
MS Mail after trialing it for a short time.

Re: Switch of email clients

<5kw6lwzaa7no.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2131&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2131

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 17:03:38 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 22:03 UTC

winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joel wrote:
>
>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird.
>
> Outlook.com backend which is used by Outlook preview app had temporary
> service outages on and off from the early A.M. to mid P.M. hours.
>
> Reports of service functioning normally have appeared, some
> services(send/retrieve) are still experiencing problems as well as
> another issue re: syncing with Contacts for Windows Teams.
>
> Your issue has nothing to do with ad-free.
> Anything labeled 'Preview' almost always means 'accept as-is, use-as-is,
> expect-issues, preview=beta testing, preview-not ready for prime time
> release).

Does the Mail app have an error console the user can look at to see what
failed when trying to establish a mail session or when retrieving mail?

Re: Switch of email clients

<1dx5d3ncrjfaa.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2132&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2132

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 17:24:56 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 22:24 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings,

"Preview" means unreleased, and you become their beta tester. Using
preview software means you accept the unreliability of the software.
They want users to participate in their QA testing.

> and then Mail wouldn't start up, either.

Perhaps the Outlook betaware overwrote (removed) the existing Mail
installation. The beta version might've deleted the old Mail app to
install the beta app.

Unlikely the MS Store is going to list alpha/beta software, and
"preview" means "beta" or "unreleased", so expect it to phuck up. Is
there a reason you volunteered to be unpaid beta tester for software you
expect to be as reliable as a released version?

https://www.makeuseof.com/outlook-preview-app-windows/
May 7, 2023
"The Microsoft Outlook preview app is available to Microsoft 365 Insider
program participants."

Unlike the article states, for my Windows 10 Mail app there is no "Try
the new Outlook" toggle button (which makes me suspect the toggle
remains after the switch to get back to using the Mail app). However,
I'm not subscribed to MS 365 nor am I a registered Insider member.

Are you an Insider risking your critial host to the use of betaware?

Does the Outlook *preview* app show up in Add/Remove Programs list? Did
you try uninstalling that before trying to get the Mail app installed?

If you want to get rid of the betaware, and already uninstalled it or
the Mail app, you can get the /released/ Mail app at:

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mail-and-calendar/9WZDNCRFHVQM

Re: Switch of email clients

<msgzmpclrlkq.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2133&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2133

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 18:14:49 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:14 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ... I am still stuck without an option other than reinstalling
>> Windows, to get the app back. Microsoft is retarded.
>
> From online reading, I don't see a difference between the Mail app that
> I have on Windows 10 (that I don't use) to the Mail app on Windows 11.
> So, I did a search at the MS Store (using a web browser instead of the
> MS Store app), and found:
>
> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mail-and-calendar/9WZDNCRFHVQM
>
> It's a really old app. Published back in 2014. No updates dates
> mentioned at their app store page, but perhaps the app gets updated via
> Windows Updates.
>
> https://www.minitool.com/news/mail-app-download-reinstall-on-windows-10-11.html
>
> Microsoft's Mail app is extremely basic. You'd be better served with a
> 3rd-party e-mail client, like Betterbird that you mentioned, em Client,
> BlueMail, etc (MailBird is payware, and subscriptionware). I gave up on
> MS Mail after trialing it for a short time.

Eventually I found:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/getting-started-with-the-new-outlook-for-windows-656bb8d9-5a60-49b2-a98b-ba7822bc7627
Important:
New Outlook for Windows supports Exchange-backed Microsoft 365 work or
school accounts, Outlook.com accounts, and Gmail. Currently, the new
Outlook for Windows does not support other account types like Yahoo!,
iCloud, or other account types connecting through POP/IMAP protocols.

Yikes, that is a dedicated e-mail client to target MS servers. Supports
Exchange and MS 365 accounts, but does NOT support IMAP or POP. That is
a highly limited client.

Also states:

Tip: You can switch back whenever you want, just switch the toggle off
in the new Outlook and it will automatically open the classic version.

Is the toggle button missing?

There is a matrix table in the article noting the difference in MS
e-mail client. "New" means the "Preview" version. With betaware, you
don't know into what it will morph eventually when released.

Re: Switch of email clients

<c7ufM.749553$qjm2.503954@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2134&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2134

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: "Charlie Glock"@localhost.com (Charlie Glock)
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2023 23:22:48 GMT
 by: Charlie Glock - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:22 UTC

On 2023-06-05, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Check news items today. "Outlook outage".
>>> You were having a login problem caused by the outage.
>>> The outage has since been resolved. Resolved maybe four hours ago.
>>
>> Yeah, I kind of figured that out, but yet I am still stuck without an
>> option other than reinstalling Windows, to get the app back. Microsoft
>> is retarded.
>
> From online reading, I don't see a difference between the Mail app that
> I have on Windows 10 (that I don't use) to the Mail app on Windows 11.
> So, I did a search at the MS Store (using a web browser instead of the
> MS Store app), and found:
>
> https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/mail-and-calendar/9WZDNCRFHVQM
>
> It's a really old app. Published back in 2014. No updates dates
> mentioned at their app store page, but perhaps the app gets updated via
> Windows Updates.
>
> https://www.minitool.com/news/mail-app-download-reinstall-on-windows-10-11.html
>
> Microsoft's Mail app is extremely basic. You'd be better served with a
> 3rd-party e-mail client, like Betterbird that you mentioned, em Client,
> BlueMail, etc (MailBird is payware, and subscriptionware). I gave up on
> MS Mail after trialing it for a short time.

I use MailBird and while it's payware, I have a pay once and done subscription. They run specials
all the time so I got it cheap.
It's not perfect, but it does allow you to unify your accounts and get all mail in a single screen.
Filtering is also excellent.
The UI is a little dated but easy to learn.
Also there are regular updates and the company is very good at support if you need it.

Worth a look IMHO.

--
Charlie Glock
"To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens"

Re: Switch of email clients

<u5m31g$gegu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2138&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2138

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 21:44:15 -0400
 by: ...winston - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 01:44 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> winston <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Joel wrote:
>>
>>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird.
>>
>> Outlook.com backend which is used by Outlook preview app had temporary
>> service outages on and off from the early A.M. to mid P.M. hours.
>>
>> Reports of service functioning normally have appeared, some
>> services(send/retrieve) are still experiencing problems as well as
>> another issue re: syncing with Contacts for Windows Teams.
>>
>> Your issue has nothing to do with ad-free.
>> Anything labeled 'Preview' almost always means 'accept as-is, use-as-is,
>> expect-issues, preview=beta testing, preview-not ready for prime time
>> release).
>
> Does the Mail app have an error console the user can look at to see what
> failed when trying to establish a mail session or when retrieving mail?

Outlook Preview is a component of Outlook(i.e. the mail application with
Microsoft 365 and Office(consumer and business plans) or Office
stand-alone software.

Outlook Preview is also an option in the Windows 11 Mail app
- Outlook Preview is enabled the same in either - 'Try the New Outlook'

For those using a browser to access Outlook.com, periodically when the
web UI is upgraded, that upgrade may include a 'preview option' which
will remain available until until the upgrade is deployed for all
users(sometimes months, since rollout is staged across accounts on the
entire planet - the browser only web UI has about 0.5 billion users.

In Outlook, Send/Recieve ribbon group. Show progress, when an acct
fails(Send or receive) an error is reported, click on error item for the
details.

W/r to the op's comment - ad free. Outlook Premium ad-free accounts(for
new users) was phased out starting in 2017, completed by 2018 and the
new web UI phased in 2018/2019. The only ad-free option is with
Microsoft 365/Office 365 subscription plans.
- also with that same deprecation, domain based email options were
phased out, with domain registration/hosting requiring migration to GoDaddy.

Thus if the op paid $20/yr, then it was
a. an older account, not current/new since 2019
b. Office plan provided by Godaddy or similar provide Microsft/Office
365 as part of their domain host/registration
c. Microsoft/Office 365 subscription based and the $20 was wasted and
unecessary since the subscription already provided ad-free
- i.e. Yes, if one had ad-free and then obtained a M365/O365
subscription it was necessary to cancel the stand-alone ad-free if the
same MSA was used for the subscription and ad-free - the billing were
two separate entities occurring, each on their annual renewal date.

Unrelated to the op's issue - Outlook Preview(not necessarily the same
feature options) has been around for some time in Office/Microsoft 365
products(iirc circa 2017/2018).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Switch of email clients

<u5m8t1$kmp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2139&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2139

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 23:24:17 -0400
 by: ...winston - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 03:24 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings,
>
> "Preview" means unreleased, and you become their beta tester. Using
> preview software means you accept the unreliability of the software.
> They want users to participate in their QA testing.
>
>> and then Mail wouldn't start up, either.
>
> Perhaps the Outlook betaware overwrote (removed) the existing Mail
> installation. The beta version might've deleted the old Mail app to
> install the beta app.

In Outlook, it modifies the UI, not replacing the installation.
i.e. enabling activates a different UI in the Outlook application

In the web UI of Outlook.com, it(the UI) was initially an option to
enable. The new UI was phased in, eventually becoming the default UI.

For the latter*web), returning to the old UI was no longer possible
after full deployment.
For the former(Office Outlook) two routes.
- disable the 'Try new Outlook'
- or registry setting(in some cases, the registry was the only route
based on some reports - the 'try option' was not present after enabling.

And yes, there's more to the story with a low incident rate
- even today, some M365 subscriptions and stand-alone versions may or
may not have received the 'Try' option.
- based on reports, a sampling of Office not in the Office Insider
Program have the 'Try' option.
For those:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\General
- necessary to create a new DWORD value in above
HideNewOutlookToggle
with a value of 0 to show, or 1 to hide
For those without the option, the reg key does nothing(i.e. can't be
activated b/c code for UI not present)

And none of this should be confused with Office application feature that
changed the UI for left side(shortcuts option)

> Unlikely the MS Store is going to list alpha/beta software, and
> "preview" means "beta" or "unreleased", so expect it to phuck up. Is
> there a reason you volunteered to be unpaid beta tester for software you
> expect to be as reliable as a released version?

Not a store release - application or app released feature

> https://www.makeuseof.com/outlook-preview-app-windows/
> May 7, 2023
> "The Microsoft Outlook preview app is available to Microsoft 365 Insider
> program participants."
>
> Unlike the article states, for my Windows 10 Mail app there is no "Try
> the new Outlook" toggle button (which makes me suspect the toggle
> remains after the switch to get back to using the Mail app). However,
> I'm not subscribed to MS 365 nor am I a registered Insider member.

See above

> Are you an Insider risking your critial host to the use of betaware?
>
> Does the Outlook *preview* app show up in Add/Remove Programs list? Did
> you try uninstalling that before trying to get the Mail app installed?

See above - it's a UI option, not Program/Feature install

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Switch of email clients

<LBCfM.551491$Sgyc.145148@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2141&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2141

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:01:31 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 09:01 UTC

On 06/06/2023 05:04, Gremlin wrote:
> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> news:g52s7i1g7ukur8ma5npdb0d8qn2o76vfq0@4ax.com
> Mon, 05 Jun 2023 16:12:28 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
>> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
>> installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>>

> Hi Joel.
>
> Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the days
> of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.

Good to see you offering help, Gremlin! :-)

Here's some more ......

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:49:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 13:49 UTC

....winston wrote:

> Outlook preview app

An email app that doesn't do SMTP/POP/IMAP, whatever next?

Re: Switch of email clients

<593v7ipj6pb4b9mmph87dst5gr1g5gcp7p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2148&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2148

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 16:26:30 -0400
 by: Joel - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 20:26 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

>I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
>(a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
>installed as a secondary Usenet client.

Thanks to Paul's help, I am back on Outlook preview. Betterbird/
Thunderbird aren't bad, but Outlook is kind of snappier.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Switch of email clients

<XnsB01C9E2E896A0nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2151&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2151

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:32:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:32 UTC

Gremlin <nobody@haph.org> wrote in

> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
> news:g52s7i1g7ukur8ma5npdb0d8qn2o76vfq0@4ax.com Mon, 05 Jun 2023
> 16:12:28 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then
>> Mail wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use
>> Betterbird (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had
>> it installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>>

> Hi Joel.
>
> Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the
> days of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.

I remember Pegasus and Eudora. For fun, I just installed Pegasus on a
Windows 7 machine, and finally got it configured correctly as POP3. It
is downloading and sending email.

Say I've downloaded 1,000 messages, and a few minutes later, I press
"Check your POP3 host for new mail", in the lower left hand corner a
message says "Downloading message 1,000 of 1,000, and it keeps
'downloading' until it says 1,000 of 1,000. The New mail folder in the
folder view increments by 1,000, to 2,000, but there are 1,000 emails in
the message listing.

Any ideas what's going on/how to fix?

Re: Switch of email clients

<XnsB01C9EEC1804Bnospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2152&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2152

From: nospam@invalid.com (Boris)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:37:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:37 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote in

> Gremlin <nobody@haph.org> wrote in
>
>> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
>> news:g52s7i1g7ukur8ma5npdb0d8qn2o76vfq0@4ax.com Mon, 05 Jun 2023
>> 16:12:28 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>>
>>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then
>>> Mail wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use
>>> Betterbird (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already
>>> had it installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>>>

>> Hi Joel.
>>
>> Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the
>> days of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.
>>

> I remember Pegasus and Eudora. For fun, I just installed Pegasus on a
> Windows 7 machine, and finally got it configured correctly as POP3.
> It is downloading and sending email.
>
> Say I've downloaded 1,000 messages, and a few minutes later, I press
> "Check your POP3 host for new mail", in the lower left hand corner a
> message says "Downloading message 1,000 of 1,000, and it keeps
> 'downloading' until it says 1,000 of 1,000. The New mail folder in
> the folder view increments by 1,000, to 2,000, but there are 1,000
> emails in the message listing.
>
> Any ideas what's going on/how to fix?

Clarification:
"Downloading message 1,000 of 1,000..."
Should read "Downloading message 1 of 1,000..."

Re: Switch of email clients

<j7r7ljxrd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2153&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2153

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 04:32:51 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 02:32 UTC

On 2023-06-08 00:37, Boris wrote:
> Boris <nospam@invalid.com> wrote in
>
>> Gremlin <nobody@haph.org> wrote in
>>
>>> Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
>>> news:g52s7i1g7ukur8ma5npdb0d8qn2o76vfq0@4ax.com Mon, 05 Jun 2023

>>> Hi Joel.
>>>
>>> Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the
>>> days of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.
>>>

>> I remember Pegasus and Eudora. For fun, I just installed Pegasus on a
>> Windows 7 machine, and finally got it configured correctly as POP3.
>> It is downloading and sending email.
>>
>> Say I've downloaded 1,000 messages, and a few minutes later, I press
>> "Check your POP3 host for new mail", in the lower left hand corner a
>> message says "Downloading message 1,000 of 1,000, and it keeps
>> 'downloading' until it says 1,000 of 1,000. The New mail folder in
>> the folder view increments by 1,000, to 2,000, but there are 1,000
>> emails in the message listing.
>>
>> Any ideas what's going on/how to fix?

Fix by not using POP3. Change to IMAP.

> Clarification:
> "Downloading message 1,000 of 1,000..."
> Should read "Downloading message 1 of 1,000..."

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Switch of email clients

<u5s2er$1f8u5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2154&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2154

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 09:11:03 +0100
 by: Graham J - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 08:11 UTC

Boris wrote:

[snip]

> Any ideas what's going on/how to fix?

This was a known problem with old email clients and slow (dial-up)
internet connections.

The process should download all the messages, then go through the list
again and check each message in turn against the local "keep messages on
server until" rule. If that test shows the copy on the server can be
deleted, it does so, otherwise it leaves it alone; and marks the local
copy as "received OK".

Clearly a silly algorithm: it should have downloaded and checked, and
deleted if necesary, each message in turn. That way any failure in the
process would have left only the failing message on the server, not all
the messages.

If any part of the first pass through the messages fails (even if it
appears to have completed OK to you, the user) then the next attempt
does not match the messages on the server with those held locally, and
the process downloads all the messages again. I have seen this happen
where the mail server has failed and is restored from a backup.

If the mail server does not support IMAP (there are some that still
don't) the only resolution is to use webmail or the cPanel tool (or
equivalent) provided by the mail hosting company to delete all the
email. Then wait for a few new emails and try again.

By contrast IMAP does a better job of matching downloaded emails against
those on the server. It might fail on a corrupt email and force you to
use another tool to delete just that message. It only deletes emails
off the server if you explicitly tell it to do so, by deleting your
local copy - either one-by-one or in bulk using a rule or whatever.
Even then, those emails are not actually deleted from the server - they
are simply marked accordingly.

Client implementations vary but it is then usually necessary to
explicitly run some sort of "purge" operation to tell the server to
really delete those marked messages. Some mail servers automate this
for you by removing the oldest messages once the storage quota is
exceeded, or some similar arbitrary rule. Otherwise further incoming
emails are rejected and the sender sees a "mailbox full" message. So
naive users don't see any new messages and probably don't recognise
there is a problem unless somebody rings them up with "why haven't you
responded to my email?".

--
Graham J

Re: Switch of email clients

<07kq8ih6slposc170s66q65561ng1ll06f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2234&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2234

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 02:22:06 -0400
 by: Joel - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 06:22 UTC

Gremlin <nobody@haph.org> wrote:

>> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
>> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
>> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
>> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
>> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
>> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
>> installed as a secondary Usenet client.
>
>Hi Joel.
>
>Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the days
>of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.

A nice, older, app, to be sure, I took a glance, but not really
workable with my Microsoft and Google accounts' email.

--
Joel Crump

Re: Switch of email clients

<c0e0mjxeug.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2235&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2235

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 12:20:28 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 10:20 UTC

On 2023-06-17 08:03, Gremlin wrote:
> "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> news:j7r7ljxrd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor
> Thu, 08 Jun 2023 02:32:51 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> Fix by not using POP3. Change to IMAP.
>
> No. Fix by properly configuring the client when using pop3. If the server is
> pop3 compliant, Pegasus can mark downloaded messages as 'read' so it doesn't
> keep getting the same ones,

No. POP3 protocol does not allow servers to keep track of what has been
downloaded or not. Just the last downloaded post, everything older is
considered downloaded.

The tracking you describe is done by the client, not the server.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Switch of email clients

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6253&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#6253

From: nobody@haph.org (Gremlin)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 04:04:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gremlin - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 04:04 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> news:g52s7i1g7ukur8ma5npdb0d8qn2o76vfq0@4ax.com
Mon, 05 Jun 2023 16:12:28 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> I was using the Outlook preview that Microsoft suggested within
> Win11's mail app, even paying them $20 to get rid of the ads for a
> year, but then it was acting funny today, and I couldn't find how to
> reinstall it after I uninstalled it in Windows settings, and then Mail
> wouldn't start up, either. Weird. I decided to just use Betterbird
> (a fork of Thunderbird) for email, fuck MS. I already had it
> installed as a secondary Usenet client.

Hi Joel.

Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the days
of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.

--
BEWARE...
Of the Dog....

Re: Switch of email clients

<XnsB02614F82D6B8HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6254&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#6254

From: nobody@haph.org (Gremlin)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 06:03:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gremlin - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 06:03 UTC

David Brooks <DavidB@nomail.afraid.org>
news:LBCfM.551491$Sgyc.145148@fx40.iad Tue, 06 Jun 2023 09:01:31 GMT in
alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> On 06/06/2023 05:04, Gremlin wrote:
>> Hi Joel.
>>
>> Have you checked out the Pegasus email client? I've used it since the
>> days of Windows 3. It's free, and very reliable.
>
> Good to see you offering help, Gremlin! :-)

I typically do if someone posts a question about a subject I have knowledge of.
Why wouldn't I? Dude, you shouldn't be so quick to try and emulate your bestie.
It's not a good look.

<snip>

It's a shame how often you demonstrate an inability to do things yourself, and
instead rely on an API call to answer your questions. It's no surprise you
found the experience of an HD change to be so difficult; for you.

--
I was told I could avoid Jail if I went to therapy.
At my first session the therapist said to me, "Imagine a train is coming

Re: Switch of email clients

<XnsB02614F94B425HT1@cF04o3ON7k2lx05.lLC.9r5>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=6255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#6255

From: nobody@haph.org (Gremlin)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 06:03:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gremlin - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 06:03 UTC

Boris <nospam@invalid.com>
news:XnsB01C9E2E896A0nospaminvalidcom@135.181.20.170 Wed, 07 Jun 2023
22:32:59 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> I remember Pegasus and Eudora. For fun, I just installed Pegasus on a
> Windows 7 machine, and finally got it configured correctly as POP3. It
> is downloading and sending email.
>
> Say I've downloaded 1,000 messages, and a few minutes later, I press
> "Check your POP3 host for new mail", in the lower left hand corner a
> message says "Downloading message 1,000 of 1,000, and it keeps
> 'downloading' until it says 1,000 of 1,000. The New mail folder in the
> folder view increments by 1,000, to 2,000, but there are 1,000 emails in
> the message listing.

Check your settings. See if the box to mark downloaded messages as read, or
delete them upon download. If you don't have either checked, Pegasus
downloads everything it has access to, each time, from your mailbox.
Otherwise, if the server is properly supporting pop3/smtp access, it *should*
honor Pegasus requests to mark them, or at your option, delete them once it
has local copies. Otherwise, it doesn't tell your email server it touched a
single one; so the email server considers them *all new* each time Pegasus
checks it.

> Any ideas what's going on/how to fix?

See above. I still have my copy setup to access my gmail via pop3/smtp.
Prior to that, I was using yahoo; via an tunnel app called yahoopops