Your code should be more efficient!

computers / alt.os.linux / Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus

SubjectAuthor
* Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurusMarioCCCP
+* Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurusJ.O. Aho
|`* Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurusMarioCCCP
| `- Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurusJ.O. Aho
`- Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurusDavid W. Hodgins

1
Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus

<udc43e$2u6jd$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2125&group=alt.os.linux#2125

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 11:11:10 +0200
 by: MarioCCCP - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:11 UTC

I strieved to install it, but I cannot run it and I don't
find any man or other help.

phonetisaurus is supposed to take an input text file (or
maybe read from stdin or from cmdline ... unsure), and
produce an output version.PHO (converting graphemes to
phonemes).

But how it works is obscure. I get only meaningless errors
of the kind "the command X does not exixt. Period)

also the read-me.md files in the git-hub haystack are
irrelevant ...

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus

<kltt8mF8v2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2127&group=alt.os.linux#2127

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 14:16:22 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:16 UTC

On 9/7/23 11:11, MarioCCCP wrote:

> I strieved to install it, but I cannot run it and I don't find any man
> or other help.
>
> phonetisaurus is supposed to take an input text file (or maybe read from
> stdin or from cmdline ... unsure), and produce an output version.PHO
> (converting graphemes to phonemes).
>
> But how it works is obscure. I get only meaningless errors of the kind
> "the command X does not exixt. Period)
>
> also the read-me.md files in the git-hub haystack are irrelevant ...

The README.md tells you to run:
docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/work phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus
"phonetisaurus-apply -m model.fst -wl test.wlist"

the $PWD is you the directory where you are when you start the docker
container, this should be where you have the files needed.

the "phonetisaurus-apply -m model.fst -wl test.wlist" is the command
line executed inside the docker image. In here it will be looking for
files in /work, which is the content you have in the $PWD directory when
you started docker container.

If you don't have the docker command, then you haven't installed docker
itself.
If this is the case, you need also to pull the docker image.

If you get a message like:

ERROR: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at
unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?

then you haven't started the docker daemon, please start it and try again.

--
//Aho

Re: Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus

<udct4l$320jk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2129&group=alt.os.linux#2129

From: NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:18:29 +0200
 by: MarioCCCP - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:18 UTC

On 07/09/23 14:16, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 9/7/23 11:11, MarioCCCP wrote:
>>
>> I strieved to install it, but I cannot run it and I don't
>> find any man or other help.
>>
>> phonetisaurus is supposed to take an input text file (or
>> maybe read from stdin or from cmdline ... unsure), and
>> produce an output version.PHO (converting graphemes to
>> phonemes).
>>
>> But how it works is obscure. I get only meaningless errors
>> of the kind "the command X does not exixt. Period)
>>
>> also the read-me.md files in the git-hub haystack are
>> irrelevant ...

first of all ... tnx really much for you effort.
If I were able, I immediately uninstall an application
requiring a nightmare cmdline like that. But I'm not, so put
forth, no regret. This system is burdened with many relics
:D :D :D

> The README.md tells you to run:
> docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/work
> phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus "phonetisaurus-apply -m
> model.fst -wl test.wlist"
>
> the $PWD is you the directory where you are when you start
> the docker container, this should be where you have the
> files needed.

which files are needed for what ?
I hope the main goal is : to take one/some text file as a
input (grapheme source) and to take one/some .pho files as
the output.

I could place the first where the program wants to find them
.... or I simply have to set the $PWD (why the dollar sign ?
Is that a variable which I should set BEFORE calling the
cmdline ?) to point to that folder.

the model.fst is unknown to me. What is it ?
The same for the test.wlist ? This formats aren't what I
hoped in TEXT-to-PHONETIC transcription (es. TXT/PDF/else =>
..PHO).

> the "phonetisaurus-apply -m model.fst -wl test.wlist" is the
> command line executed inside the docker image. In here it
> will be looking for files in /work, which is the content you
> have in the $PWD directory when you started docker container.
>
> If you don't have the docker command, then you haven't
> installed docker itself.

I have installed it, but I have never managed to use it.

I don't understand well what $PWD is supposed to be, and how
to set the input and output files (I mean the names) ...

> If this is the case, you need also to pull the docker image.
>

> If you get a message like:
>
> ERROR: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at
> unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?
>
> then you haven't started the docker daemon, please start it
> and try again.

so that complicate cmdline does not even start the daemon it
it is not running ... amazingly intuitive system this docker
indeed !

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus

<op.2awxx3ida3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2130&group=alt.os.linux#2130

From: dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 14:07:05 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:07 UTC

On Thu, 07 Sep 2023 05:11:10 -0400, MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:

> I strieved to install it, but I cannot run it and I don't
> find any man or other help.
>
> phonetisaurus is supposed to take an input text file (or
> maybe read from stdin or from cmdline ... unsure), and
> produce an output version.PHO (converting graphemes to
> phonemes).
>
> But how it works is obscure. I get only meaningless errors
> of the kind "the command X does not exixt. Period)
>
> also the read-me.md files in the git-hub haystack are
> irrelevant ...

Looking at https://github.com/AdolfVonKleist/Phonetisaurus/blob/master/Makefile.am
the commands it includes are ...
bin_PROGRAMS = \
phonetisaurus-align \
phonetisaurus-arpa2wfst \
phonetisaurus-g2pfst \
phonetisaurus-g2prnn \
rnnlm

Skimming through the code shows the commands will print their usage when run
without any parameters.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Help docker app phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus

<klulblFftgoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2131&group=alt.os.linux#2131

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 21:07:33 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 19:07 UTC

On 07/09/2023 18:18, MarioCCCP wrote:
> On 07/09/23 14:16, J.O. Aho wrote:
>> On 9/7/23 11:11, MarioCCCP wrote:
>>>
>>> I strieved to install it, but I cannot run it and I don't find any
>>> man or other help.
>>>
>>> phonetisaurus is supposed to take an input text file (or maybe read
>>> from stdin or from cmdline ... unsure), and produce an output
>>> version.PHO (converting graphemes to phonemes).
>>>
>>> But how it works is obscure. I get only meaningless errors of the
>>> kind "the command X does not exixt. Period)
>>>
>>> also the read-me.md files in the git-hub haystack are irrelevant ...
>>>

> first of all ... tnx really much for you effort.
> If I were able, I immediately uninstall an application requiring a
> nightmare cmdline like that. But I'm not, so put forth, no regret. This
> system is burdened with many relics :D :D :D
>
>> The README.md tells you to run:
>> docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/work phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus
>> "phonetisaurus-apply -m model.fst -wl test.wlist"
>>
>> the $PWD is you the directory where you are when you start the docker
>> container, this should be where you have the files needed.
>
> which files are needed for what ?

Seems to be at least a word list file (in example test.wlist, I guess
something like
https://github.com/AdolfVonKleist/Phonetisaurus/blob/master/python/script/words.list)
and the openfst type of model file (in example model.fst, read more at
https://www.openfst.org). I guess this is to make the application to
make a better job.

> I could place the first where the program wants to find them ... or I
> simply have to set the $PWD (why the dollar sign ? Is that a variable
> which I should set BEFORE calling the cmdline ?) to point to that folder.

$PWD is a variable that always is your current directory, you don't set
it your shell does that automatically.

When you cd to a new directory the $PWD value is different.

So if you are in /home then $PWD is /home,
if you are in /tmp then $PWD is /tmp.

The value is the same as if you run the command "pwd".

try this:
# cd to your home diretory
cd
echo $PWD && pwd
# go out to /home or / if you are root
cd ..
echo $PWD && pwd

>> the "phonetisaurus-apply -m model.fst -wl test.wlist" is the command
>> line executed inside the docker image. In here it will be looking for
>> files in /work, which is the content you have in the $PWD directory
>> when you started docker container.
>>
>> If you don't have the docker command, then you haven't installed
>> docker itself.
>
> I have installed it, but I have never managed to use it.
>
> I don't understand well what $PWD is supposed to be, and how to set the
> input and output files (I mean the names) ...

I guess those are the names on the file you have in $PWD (the directory
you are in on the command prompt when you start the docker container).

You can replace the $PWD with the full or relative path.

>> ERROR: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at
>> unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?
>>
>> then you haven't started the docker daemon, please start it and try
>> again.
>
> so that complicate cmdline does not even start the daemon it it is not
> running ... amazingly intuitive system this docker indeed !

No, it's like ssh, it will not automatically start the sshd on the
remote server.

There seems to be other commands you can use as David pointed out,

phonetisaurus-align
phonetisaurus-arpa2wfst
phonetisaurus-g2pfst
phonetisaurus-g2prnn
rnnlm

You can take a look what they may do with a command like:

docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/work phonetisaurus/phonetisaurus
"phonetisaurus-apply --help"

what you have between the quotes are the command you will run inside the
docker image.

just keep in mind, neither me or David do use this docker container. If
you want something more traditional and don't want to build from source,
there are some older versions at
https://code.google.com/archive/p/phonetisaurus/downloads

Please don't ask for help if the old binaries don't work on your
installation, I do think there can be issues that you don't have all the
old libraries maybe needed.

--
//Aho