From: nospam.Paul.Hayton@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Paul Hayton)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: MIS POLL
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 12:15:41 +1300
 by: Paul Hayton - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 23:15 UTC

I wonder if an option for forcing IPv4 or IPv6 polling would be worth adding?

I noted the change to default to IPv4 when using nodelist but then the thought
becomes how to force an IPv6 only attempt?

So if MIS POLL came with a -4 or -6 switch that might be a good idea?

Not sure, but thought I'd throw that out for discussion.

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going'
avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

Re: MIS POLL

<3265002911@f113.n301.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2132&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2132

From: nospam.Alisha.Stutz@f113.n301.z2.fidonet.org (Alisha Stutz)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: MIS POLL
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 09:46:36 +1300
 by: Alisha Stutz - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 20:46 UTC

Hi Paul,
PH> I wonder if an option for forcing IPv4 or IPv6 polling would be worth
PH> adding?
PH>
PH> I noted the change to default to IPv4 when using nodelist but then the
PH> thought becomes how to force an IPv6 only attempt?
PH>
PH> So if MIS POLL came with a -4 or -6 switch that might be a good idea?
PH>
PH> Not sure, but thought I'd throw that out for discussion.

Theoretically this is not necessary if the application has been implemented
according to "Happy Eyeballs"[1] which is related to RFC-4213[2]. Then IPv4 and
IPv6 are requested at the same time and if IPv6 does not give an answer the
fallback to IPv4 is done. Otherwise the traffic is primarily exchanged via IPv6
which is in the sense of promoting IPv6 traffic.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Eyeballs
[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4213

Best regards

Alisha

.... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.

Re: MIS POLL

<2151898338@p1.f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2133&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2133

From: nospam.Jay.Harris@p1.f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 07:14:46 +1300
 by: Jay Harris - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 18:14 UTC

*** Quoting Paul Hayton from a message to g00r00 ***

PH> So if MIS POLL came with a -4 or -6 switch that might be a good idea?

PH> Not sure, but thought I'd throw that out for discussion.

I would like to see this as well. My preferance would be for IPv6 but
sometimes my ISP here turns it off randomly, so while my machine thinks I
have an IPv6 address, it doesn't actually work.

Being able to force poll everything with IPv4 with a -4 flag would make
things easier than going into ./mystic -cfg to switch the node to IPv4 and
then running ./mis poll

That being said, if an IPv6 poll doesn't work, isn't it supposed to fall back
to IPv4? I've not seen that be the case.

Jay

.... It's so true to life it's hardly true

Re: MIS POLL

<2374700762@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2134&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2134

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 13:12:47 +1300
 by: g00r00 - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 00:12 UTC

JH> Being able to force poll everything with IPv4 with a -4 flag would make
JH> things easier than going into ./mystic -cfg to switch the node to IPv4
JH> and then running ./mis poll
JH>
JH> That being said, if an IPv6 poll doesn't work, isn't it supposed to fall
JH> back to IPv4? I've not seen that be the case.

Its supposed to work that way which would mean the -4 and -6 would not be all
that useful. But...

The fallback from IPV6 to IPV4 is only working if the DNS doesn't resolve an
IPV6 address. If it resolves IPV6 and IPV4, it is not falling back to IPV4
properly on a failed IPV6 connect attempt.

It *is* coded to fallback/function like "Happy Eyeballs" as Alisha mentioned
earlier when set to "Default IPV6" or "IPV6+IPV4", but its broken. Not
surprising since I coded IPV6 support way back in day without having IPV6
myself.

For now I have changed the nodelist-lookup-based connections to use IPV4 in the
latest build until I can figure out what is going wrong. With any luck I'll
get some time to fix it up this weekend.

.... Everyone smiles in the same language.

Re: MIS POLL

<861664595@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2137&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2137

From: nospam.Paul.Hayton@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Paul Hayton)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 14:34:21 +1300
 by: Paul Hayton - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 01:34 UTC

On 07 Jan 2023 at 01:12p, g00r00 pondered and said...
g0> Its supposed to work that way which would mean the -4 and -6 would not
g0> be all that useful. But...

all good.

g0> It *is* coded to fallback/function like "Happy Eyeballs" as Alisha
g0> mentioned earlier when set to "Default IPV6" or "IPV6+IPV4", but its
g0> broken. Not surprising since I coded IPV6 support way back in day
g0> without having IPV6 myself.
g0> For now I have changed the nodelist-lookup-based connections to use IPV4
g0> in the latest build until I can figure out what is going wrong. With
g0> any luck I'll get some time to fix it up this weekend.

the joys of debugging huh? :)

Kerr Avon [Blake's 7] 'I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going'
avon[at]bbs.nz | bbs.nz | fsxnet.nz

Re: MIS POLL

<3888165893@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2138&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2138

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 20:46:11 +1300
 by: g00r00 - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 07:46 UTC

PH> g0> For now I have changed the nodelist-lookup-based connections to use
PH> PH> g0> I
PH> g0> in the latest build until I can figure out what is going wrong. PH>
PH> g0> With
PH> g0> any luck I'll get some time to fix it up this weekend.
PH>
PH> the joys of debugging huh? :)

I was able to fix it today. The bug has been around for so long that I am
slightly worried that the fix could break something else.

In the next build it will properly fallback to IPV4 if 6 fails!

.... Confucius say: "Its stuffy inside fortune cookie"

Re: MIS POLL

<3223511068@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2140&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2140

From: nospam.Paul.Hayton@f100.n770.z3.fidonet.org (Paul Hayton)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 17:42:29 +1300
 by: Paul Hayton - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 04:42 UTC

On 07 Jan 2023 at 08:46p, g00r00 pondered and said...
g0> I was able to fix it today. The bug has been around for so long that I
g0> am slightly worried that the fix could break something else.

All will be well, you can always add more cowbell too :)