From: nospam@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Subject: Topo Reader says "terminated by iOS" & then crashes every time on iPadOS 16.3.1
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:56:36 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:56 UTC

Topo Reader says "terminated by iOS" & then crashes every time
(iPadOS 16.3.1)
<https://i.postimg.cc/NFrsLrs5/terminated05.jpg> App was terminated by iOS

I blew off the dust from my iOS iPad to check out the hiking apps to help
Chris (who wanted a good app that didn't require any login to motherships).
<https://i.postimg.cc/pVn5mm1f/terminated04.jpg> Map folder & Topo Reader

The apps I used to use, years ago, in best-to-worst order, for hiking are
Topo Reader (which I had liked best - it's "terminated by iOS" & fails
Topo Maps (still works) <by Pierre-Olivier Latour> didn't see in App Store
Topo Maps+ (still works) <https://topomaps.co/>

I noticed a few problems, e.g., location issues, help about issues,
and the apps not showing up in a quick search of the app store so that I
could provide the URLs but I prove what I say with screenshots below.

The main question is why won't Topo Reader work after I get "terminated by
iOS" messages as the message itself sounds innocuous when it explains:
"Note: Rapid zoom and pan actions, especially while the app is
installing downloaded maps and around corners of adjacent maps,
can cause iOS to terminates [sic] app without warning due to
these functions spiking with high CPU memory demands."

While it says that the app will continue to work, it crashes every time.
"Maps will resume displaying in a few seconds. Map footprints turned off."

Anyone else have this problem with Topo Reader terminating & then crashing?
<https://i.postimg.cc/jjZd1b3d/terminated01.jpg> Apple ID "verification"
<https://i.postimg.cc/Z5LdJXsX/terminated02.jpg> Apple iCloud sign in
<https://i.postimg.cc/rwqDZQyj/terminated03.jpg> iPad 16.0.1 homescreen
<https://i.postimg.cc/pVn5mm1f/terminated04.jpg> Map folder & Topo Reader
<https://i.postimg.cc/NFrsLrs5/terminated05.jpg> App was terminated by iOS
<https://i.postimg.cc/qRNhXqBd/terminated06.jpg> An app is denied location

It's iOS 16.3.1 but I can't get the version of Topo Reader due to crashing.
Anyone else have this problem on Topo Reader on iPadOS 16.3.1 with advice?
--
Gur vXbbxf unir fb ybj rfgrrz nyy gurl pna qb vf znxr sha bs gur vffhrf.

Re: Topo Reader says "terminated by iOS" & then crashes every time on iPadOS 16.3.1

<260320231517198633%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2149&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2149

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 15:17:19 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:17 UTC

In article <tvq4gl$10v4$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> The main question is why won't Topo Reader work after I get "terminated by
> iOS" messages as the message itself sounds innocuous when it explains:
> "Note: Rapid zoom and pan actions, especially while the app is
> installing downloaded maps and around corners of adjacent maps,
> can cause iOS to terminates [sic] app without warning due to
> these functions spiking with high CPU memory demands."

you answered your own question.

good work.

Re: Topo Reader says "terminated by iOS" & then crashes every time on iPadOS 16.3.1

<k8boucFi076U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2151&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2151

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Subject: Re: Topo Reader says "terminated by iOS" & then crashes every time
on iPadOS 16.3.1
Date: 26 Mar 2023 20:40:44 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 20:40 UTC

On 2023-03-26, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <tvq4gl$10v4$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Andy Burnelli
><nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> The main question is why won't Topo Reader work after I get "terminated by
>> iOS" messages as the message itself sounds innocuous when it explains:
>> "Note: Rapid zoom and pan actions, especially while the app is
>> installing downloaded maps and around corners of adjacent maps,
>> can cause iOS to terminates [sic] app without warning due to
>> these functions spiking with high CPU memory demands."
>
> you answered your own question.
>
> good work.

It's apparently something they have been working on with updates for at
least a few months, too:

<https://ibb.co/YQhTfct>

JR