In 1869 the waffle iron was invented for people who had wrinkled waffles.

computers / alt.bbs.mystic / Re: RPi & Python 3

SubjectAuthor
* Re: RPi & Python 3Daniel Stephens
`* Re: RPi & Python 3Nicola Mettimano
 `* Re: RPi & Python 3Daniel Stephens
  +- Re: RPi & Python 3Nicola Mettimano
  +- Re: RPi & Python 3g00r00
  `* Re: RPi & Python 3Travis Mehrer
   `- Re: RPi & Python 3Daniel Stephens

1
Re: RPi & Python 3

<735bd265-40d7-4120-9d0e-f21f43a083fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2219&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2219

Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 20:34:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RPi & Python 3
From: dgstephens@gmail.com (Daniel Stephens)
 by: Daniel Stephens - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 04:34 UTC

Hello and thank you for creating this wonderful BBS!

I'm in the process of building a front end to a Node.js API for keeping track of all of my ICs and other active electronics. I want to be able to access it from my Amiga 1000, and so I've decided that Mystic BBS is the best option for this. I already use Mystic for moving text files back and forth from WP 4.1 on my Amiga to NeoOffice on my Mac and it works great.

Anyway, I am using the Python3 module 'requests' for handling HTTP requests to the Node.js API on an Ubuntu machine on the interwebs.

However, simply importing this module into a Mystic Python3 script causes an error to show up in the error.log:
EAccessViolation Access violation

I am running Mystic version 1.12 A48
It's running on a Raspi 4 with the latest Raspbian
It's running Python 3.9.2

The python script is simply:
import mystic_bbs as bbs
import requests
bbs.writeln("Hello from Python 3")
bbs.writeln("We have imported requests module")
bbs.writeln("|PA")

The script runs fine until it ends at which point it abruptly ends the connection. It even properly executes the |PA pause; but as soon as a key is pressed the connection terminates.

If I comment out the "import requests" line, the script runs without terminating the connection and there is no error in the log file.

Any help would be most appreciated.

ps: I did do a fresh install of everything and tried with Python 2.7. The same script did not cause the connection to terminate, however it did give me a RunTimeWarning of an API version mismatch for module mystic_bbs.

Thank you!

Re: RPi & Python 3

<367905519@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2227&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2227

From: nospam.Nicola.Mettimano@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org (Nicola Mettimano)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 23:09:46 +1300
 by: Nicola Mettimano - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 10:09 UTC

Hello, same problem here with my VM under headless Ubuntu server.
Here only Py3 ai used but same error, i don't know how to solve, do you have
news?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent!

Re: RPi & Python 3

<7a6f706f-ce14-4cb2-bffb-960aad0da9dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2231&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2231

Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:18:14 -0800 (PST)
From: dgstephens@gmail.com (Daniel Stephens)
 by: Daniel Stephens - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 03:18 UTC

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 5:20:23 PM UTC-5, Nicola Mettimano wrote:
> Hello, same problem here with my VM under headless Ubuntu server.
> Here only Py3 ai used but same error, i don't know how to solve, do you have
> news?

No, I’ve not found a solution. I reinstalled everything from the OS up and only installed Python 3.9 and I still get the error: EAccessViolation Access violation

And while my script runs perfectly, as soon as it ends the telnet session closes,and the error above appears. It’s really quite strange.

Re: RPi & Python 3

<500113140@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2232&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2232

From: nospam.Nicola.Mettimano@f601.n335.z2.fidonet.org (Nicola Mettimano)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:45:45 +1300
 by: Nicola Mettimano - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 23:45 UTC

DS> No, I’ve not found a solution. I reinstalled everything from the OS up
DS> and only installed Python 3.9 and I still get the error:
DS> EAccessViolation Access violation

that's what I was about to try...

DS> And while my script runs perfectly, as soon as it ends the telnet session
DS> closes,and the error above appears. It’s really quite strange.

weird....can't use python with mystic, this is terrible news...

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent!

Re: RPi & Python 3

<999649860@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2234&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2234

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 13:14:57 +1300
 by: g00r00 - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 00:14 UTC

DS> > Hello, same problem here with my VM under headless Ubuntu server.
DS> > Here only Py3 ai used but same error, i don't know how to solve, do you
DS> > news?
DS>
DS> No, I’ve not found a solution. I reinstalled everything from the OS up
DS> and only installed Python 3.9 and I still get the error:
DS> EAccessViolation Access violation

Their problem does not appear to be the same issue, just off the little
knowledge I have. Their setup sounds like an environment issue and yours I
don't think is.

Since your script is running and throwing an access issue when closing, its
more likely to be a bug. As you may or may not know,
the current version for 64-bit ARM is the first release of it, so that makes it
even more likely to be an issue with Mystic. I can only assume when you say
latest Pi OS that means you're using 64-bit OS and Mystic 64-bit for ARM.

The reason I hadn't responded yet is because I haven't had time to get my
64-bit Pi out to see if I can reproduce the issue on my own.

.... Read messages, not taglines

Re: RPi & Python 3

<2288962@f303.n134.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2237&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2237

From: nospam.Travis.Mehrer@f303.n134.z1.fidonet.org (Travis Mehrer)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:02:25 +1300
 by: Travis Mehrer - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 02:02 UTC

I'm not certain this is related but I've noticed similar issues with Python 3
in Mystic. Particularly when my script is making any sort of external http(s)
connection.

A while back I was writing my own "This Day in History" type script. Everything
worked fine until the script finished and then the connection would get dropped
from the BBS. In the end it was easier to make cron job that downloaded the
history to a file and then open it via open().

More recently while trying to use feedparser to read RSS I've noticed the same
behavior: once the script finished, my session gets disconnected.

I haven't had time to dig into it more but I suspect if I make a cronjob to
save the feed as an XML file and then open() the file and work with it, I
suspect it will work. It's not the cleanest way and perhaps not a final
solution it's a possible work-around for the time being.

blade

.... Error, no Keyboard - Press F1 to Continue.

Re: RPi & Python 3

<785acb7f-1e70-48e7-9010-7901960aadbbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2240&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2240

Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:21:53 -0800 (PST)
From: dgstephens@gmail.com (Daniel Stephens)
 by: Daniel Stephens - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 21:21 UTC

g00r00, thank you for the response! I know how busy you are.

I'm running the following Raspbian version:
Release date: September 22nd 2022
System: 32-bit
Kernel version: 5.15

So it's 32 bit Raspbian on a Raspi 4 and 32 bit Mystic with Python 3.9.

If I run the following script:
import mystic_bbs as bbs
import requests

bbs.writeln( "Testing importing requests" )
bbs.writeln( "All Done |CR|PA" )

I get the "EAccessViolation Access violation" error right after pressing any key at the very end of the script and the telnet session closes.

If I run the same script without importing requests, I get no error. Just importing requests causes the error to happen at the end of the script - I don't even have to use it.

But if I do use it, the script runs fine all the way to the end and then throws the error and closes the telnet session.

Very strange indeed. And thank you for helping with this!