Ignorance is bliss. -- Thomas Gray Fortune updates the great quotes, #42: BLISS is ignorance.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU

SubjectAuthor
* AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPUmicky
+* Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPUPaul
|`- Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPUmicky
`* Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPUAndy Burns
 `- Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPUStan Brown

1
AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU

<8cih8i5afcdg7gqsq7r2hgp81j2drui88o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2187&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2187

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:13:35 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 20:13 UTC

Using windows-10 Pro, fully updated except today's update.

What does it mean when AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU. (So
that it's 100% in use total.) This went on for 5 minutes. Now it's 10
minutes later and it's still 43%. I'm using AVG Free,

I haven't dl'd any new files. All I tried to do was play a video which
it was able to start yesterday but today it says it can't be reached.

Only 51% of my 32gigs of memory is in use, 2% disk.

I can't start AVG's interface to look at it, so I'm restarting the
computer. Interupted that in the middle and now it's up to 99.1% of
the cpu. and Memory usage is 19%, but I still can't start the AVG
interface, well it took a long time. It's not running a scan. It was
updated 2 minutes ago, but could that use 8(% of the cpu for 5 minutes?

AVG also says I'm offline even though I have the image of the monitor
in my systray and it says there, Network: Intenet access. And when I
click on the icon it says Network Connected. Can AVG be offline while
the rest of the computer is online?

Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU

<u6b480$3p0ko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2190&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2190

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:13:36 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 01:13 UTC

On 6/13/2023 4:13 PM, micky wrote:
> Using windows-10 Pro, fully updated except today's update.
>
> What does it mean when AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU. (So
> that it's 100% in use total.) This went on for 5 minutes. Now it's 10
> minutes later and it's still 43%. I'm using AVG Free,
>
> I haven't dl'd any new files. All I tried to do was play a video which
> it was able to start yesterday but today it says it can't be reached.
>
> Only 51% of my 32gigs of memory is in use, 2% disk.
>
> I can't start AVG's interface to look at it, so I'm restarting the
> computer. Interupted that in the middle and now it's up to 99.1% of
> the cpu. and Memory usage is 19%, but I still can't start the AVG
> interface, well it took a long time. It's not running a scan. It was
> updated 2 minutes ago, but could that use 8(% of the cpu for 5 minutes?
>

> AVG also says I'm offline even though I have the image of the monitor
> in my systray and it says there, Network: Intenet access. And when I
> click on the icon it says Network Connected. Can AVG be offline while
> the rest of the computer is online?

Firewall status ?

AVG could have its own Firewall, Windows Firewall could be used,
if the firewall does not start properly, it is possible that
you would have no functional networking.

To use all the cores on a CPU, to the tune of 80-90%, is more
than a little unusual. An AV should definitely be multi-threaded,
because it needs to be able to do various flavors of customs
scans (one file, one installer, one attachment, an entire email box)
in parallel.

Today is Patch Tuesday - my fan spooled up at boot time, which was
the squirrels in my computer, checking for patches from Home Base,
and installing. A reboot later, all done.

Win11 Home 2023-06 Cumulative KB5027231 successfully installed Tues Jun13,2023

Remember that exploit patching is multi-staged. First AVG does
a temporary patch (bandaid). Next, Patch Tuesday patch (some months later)
brings in a proper patch. AVG detects the proper patch is in, it
removes its temporary workaround.

Since Task Manager no longer logs all compute activity, and even
things such as Memory Compressor require an extraordinary effort to
see (need Resource Monitor to see it!), you can no longer rely
on Task Manager for anything critical. The Black Hats must love
this design. This is why I rely on trusty indicators, the cooling
fan speeding up, the Kill-O-Watt power meter on the cord, and that
sort of thing, at least warns me that something abnormal is present.

And AV software, you really don't know what it is doing, or how
sick it is feeling.

Windows Defender, many times I open the window for it,
and the window is blank, and it stays blank for at least a couple minutes
before I close it again. This does not inspire confidence in defensive
capability. It's not out of CPU. It's not out of resources. There
is a boatload of RAM for the squirrels in the computer to munch on.

I just checked, and my Tamper Protection is OFF. Now, what squirrel
did that ? Grrr.

I close the window. I open the window. Now, Tamper Protection is ON.
Did I hear snickering ? I'm gonna come in there and...

Paul

Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU

<ket5asFakbbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2193&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2193

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:34:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 06:34 UTC

micky wrote:

> AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU.

Just uninstall AVG and use MS Defender instead?

Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU

<MPG.3ef3f96d65223f7a99013b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2209&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2209

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 17:21:36 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 00:21 UTC

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 07:34:04 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> micky wrote:
>
> > AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU.
>
> Just uninstall AVG and use MS Defender instead?

+1

And/or Malwarebytes.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU

<mjgi8i1d29idgf60np3i5k52nlmds0csvs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2229&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2229

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:59:42 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 19:59 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:13:36 -0400, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 6/13/2023 4:13 PM, micky wrote:
>> Using windows-10 Pro, fully updated except today's update.
>>
>> What does it mean when AVG Service is using 80 to 89% of my CPU. (So
>> that it's 100% in use total.) This went on for 5 minutes. Now it's 10
>> minutes later and it's still 43%. I'm using AVG Free,
>>
>> I haven't dl'd any new files. All I tried to do was play a video which
>> it was able to start yesterday but today it says it can't be reached.
>>
>> Only 51% of my 32gigs of memory is in use, 2% disk.
>>
>> I can't start AVG's interface to look at it, so I'm restarting the
>> computer. Interupted that in the middle and now it's up to 99.1% of
>> the cpu. and Memory usage is 19%, but I still can't start the AVG
>> interface, well it took a long time. It's not running a scan. It was
>> updated 2 minutes ago, but could that use 8(% of the cpu for 5 minutes?
>>

>> AVG also says I'm offline even though I have the image of the monitor
>> in my systray and it says there, Network: Intenet access. And when I
>> click on the icon it says Network Connected. Can AVG be offline while
>> the rest of the computer is online?
>>

>Firewall status ?
>
>AVG could have its own Firewall, Windows Firewall could be used,
>if the firewall does not start properly, it is possible that
>you would have no functional networking.
>
>To use all the cores on a CPU, to the tune of 80-90%, is more
>than a little unusual. An AV should definitely be multi-threaded,
>because it needs to be able to do various flavors of customs
>scans (one file, one installer, one attachment, an entire email box)
>in parallel.
>
>Today is Patch Tuesday - my fan spooled up at boot time, which was
>the squirrels in my computer, checking for patches from Home Base,
>and installing. A reboot later, all done.
>
> Win11 Home 2023-06 Cumulative KB5027231 successfully installed Tues Jun13,2023
>
>Remember that exploit patching is multi-staged. First AVG does
>a temporary patch (bandaid). Next, Patch Tuesday patch (some months later)
>brings in a proper patch. AVG detects the proper patch is in, it
>removes its temporary workaround.
>
>Since Task Manager no longer logs all compute activity, and even
>things such as Memory Compressor require an extraordinary effort to
>see (need Resource Monitor to see it!), you can no longer rely
>on Task Manager for anything critical. The Black Hats must love
>this design. This is why I rely on trusty indicators, the cooling
>fan speeding up, the Kill-O-Watt power meter on the cord, and that
>sort of thing, at least warns me that something abnormal is present.
>
>And AV software, you really don't know what it is doing, or how
>sick it is feeling.
>
>Windows Defender, many times I open the window for it,
>and the window is blank, and it stays blank for at least a couple minutes
>before I close it again. This does not inspire confidence in defensive

Wow.

>capability. It's not out of CPU. It's not out of resources. There
>is a boatload of RAM for the squirrels in the computer to munch on.
>
>I just checked, and my Tamper Protection is OFF. Now, what squirrel
>did that ? Grrr.
>
>I close the window. I open the window. Now, Tamper Protection is ON.
>Did I hear snickering ? I'm gonna come in there and...
>
> Paul

Thanks.

Well I restarted and now AVG is using 0.2 to 0.4% of the CPUS

I also see an indication in the bottom right of a message and it says to
restarat to repair drive rrors. Fine but that's dated Sunday and this
is the first I knew about it. (It did do drive checking on restart) I
don't think this is why AVG was so high