From: nospam.Per.Gustav.Ousdal@f203.n203.z2.fidonet.org (Per Gustav Ousdal)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: SMTP server
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 20:14:22 +1300
 by: Per Gustav Ousdal - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 07:14 UTC

Hi,

So, I've got the POP server working for local (BBS) email. However, the
SMTP server is not working. I have not come very far in the debugging
but telnet from localhost gives:

Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 phrenetic.no Mystic SMTP Ready

However, from my client where I intend to run the MUA. I get this:

Connected to bbs.phrenetic.no.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Any ideas?

Regards,
pos

Re: SMTP server

<3544001036@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2238&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2238

From: nospam.g00r00@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: SMTP server
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 15:36:01 +1300
 by: g00r00 - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 02:36 UTC

PG> So, I've got the POP server working for local (BBS) email. However, the
PG> SMTP server is not working. I have not come very far in the debugging
PG> but telnet from localhost gives:
PG>
PG> Connected to localhost.
PG> Escape character is '^]'.
PG> 220 phrenetic.no Mystic SMTP Ready
PG>
PG> However, from my client where I intend to run the MUA. I get this:

Could this be a firewall issue? The telnet seems to show that it is working.

If you go into System Configuration > Servers > Logging and set the MIS.LOG to
"Max" you should be able to see all communication between the server and client
(if you have log caching turned on you may need to shutdown the server
afterwards to see it, or turn log caching off in the settings temporarily).

Having a log of the data exchange may help give us more clues as to what is
happening.

.... Origin of Life? Just check my refrigerator...

Re: SMTP server

<tsh4i1$2l94n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2239&group=alt.bbs.mystic#2239

From: pgousdal@gmail.com (Per Gustav Ousdal)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 00:13:05 +0100
 by: Per Gustav Ousdal - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:13 UTC

On 14.02.2023 03:36, g00r00 wrote:
> PG> So, I've got the POP server working for local (BBS) email. However, the
> PG> SMTP server is not working. I have not come very far in the debugging
> PG> but telnet from localhost gives:
> PG>
> PG> Connected to localhost.
> PG> Escape character is '^]'.
> PG> 220 phrenetic.no Mystic SMTP Ready
> PG>
> PG> However, from my client where I intend to run the MUA. I get this:
>
> Could this be a firewall issue? The telnet seems to show that it is working.
>
> If you go into System Configuration > Servers > Logging and set the MIS.LOG to
> "Max" you should be able to see all communication between the server and client
> (if you have log caching turned on you may need to shutdown the server
> afterwards to see it, or turn log caching off in the settings temporarily).
>
> Having a log of the data exchange may help give us more clues as to what is
> happening.

Yeah, your suggestion was close I guess. It's working now. I suppose
what happened is that Thunderbird was misconfigured (i.e. set to use
START/TLS) and I had already tried connecting with that. And it must
have hogged up the connection. So with a restart of mis (and I also set
dupe IP's to 3 for now) it worked. Yay!

BTW: What are the correct settings for the SMTP connection? Does the
SMTP server support any of the security protocols, or should it be set
none and plain text pass word?

Thank you,
Per