Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / apple music

SubjectAuthor
* apple musicsobriquet
`* apple musicsobriquet
 +* apple musicJolly Roger
 |`* apple musicsobriquet
 | +- apple musicJolly Roger
 | +* apple musicChris
 | |+* apple musicsobriquet
 | ||+- apple musicJolly Roger
 | ||`- Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover thebadgolferman
 | |`- Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between Wally J
 | +- Where's the undo/redo buttons in notes in ipados 17Calum
 | `- Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover thebadgolferman
 `* apple musicBob Campbell
  +- apple musicJolly Roger
  `- Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between Wally J

1
apple music

<c93cb4db-6175-4421-9a80-79f34b19a7f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2272&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2272

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:39:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: apple music
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:39 UTC

Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad, but
you can use apple music on the ipad.

Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on apple
music without actually registering or subscribing to the service (not even a free trial)?

For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums are
available on apple music:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298

https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699

Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to
offer an overview of the music they have available.

Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can
show a screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available
in their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?

That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely exploring
their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has those albums.

Re: apple music

<a6b80445-e898-478c-82b2-af7b421e43acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2273&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2273

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:53:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: apple music
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:53 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
> Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad, but
> you can use apple music on the ipad.
>
> Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on apple
> music without actually registering or subscribing to the service (not even a free trial)?
>
> For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums are
> available on apple music:
>
> https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298
>
> https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699
>
> Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
> tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to
> offer an overview of the music they have available.
>
> Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can
> show a screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available
> in their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?
>
> That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
> streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
> those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely exploring
> their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has those albums.

Ah, I see it's possible to browse the collection without any subscription shenanigans.

https://support.apple.com/guide/music-web/search-for-music-apdmca22e054/web

As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making the claim of
having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).

Re: apple music

<ka6ordFoa35U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2274&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2274

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 05:41:01 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 05:41 UTC

On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making
> the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).

Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
album by every artist in their library.

JR

Re: apple music

<e1433aa4-eed8-4ccf-9f6f-c69326d61e0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2275&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2275

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 02:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:46 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 7:41:04 AM UTC+2, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making
> > the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).
> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
> album by every artist in their library.

So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that has been
released in the past that is available through such streaming services offering 100
million tracks?
More like 40% or more like 80%?

I'm certainly glad I collect music myself, so I'm not at the mercy of these tech
molochs like apple that can decide on a whim to remove music from the collection
they offer access to.

4 TB SSD is an amazing cosmic jukebox with a playlist shuffling more than 100000
tracks.

> --
> E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
> I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.
>
> JR

Re: apple music

<-bydnfzgtfpMDaP5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2276&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2276

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
From: nunya@none.none (Bob Campbell)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:45:05 +0000
 by: Bob Campbell - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 12:45 UTC

sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
>> Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad, but
>> you can use apple music on the ipad.
>>
>> Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on apple
>> music without actually registering or subscribing to the service (not even a free trial)?
>>
>> For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums are
>> available on apple music:
>>
>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298
>>
>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699
>>
>> Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
>> tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to
>> offer an overview of the music they have available.
>>
>> Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can
>> show a screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available
>> in their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?
>>
>> That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
>> streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
>> those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely exploring
>> their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has those albums.
>
> Ah, I see it's possible to browse the collection without any subscription shenanigans.
>
> https://support.apple.com/guide/music-web/search-for-music-apdmca22e054/web
>
> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making the claim of
> having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).

Neither of these albums are on Spotify either, which leads me to believe
the artists chose to not make them available via streaming. Not some
nefarious plot by Apple.

Re: apple music

<ka7sgrFtkfnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2277&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2277

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 15:49:47 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:49 UTC

On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 7:41:04 AM UTC+2, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > As expected the albums are missing from their music collection
>> > (making the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat
>> > doubtful).
>>
>> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
>> album by every artist in their library.
>
> So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that
> has been released in the past that is available through such streaming
> services offering 100 million tracks? More like 40% or more like 80%?

I don't know, and frankly don't care. I have always purchased my music
rather than renting it, and if it's not available on Apple's iTunes
Store, then I'll purchase it elsewhere.

> I'm certainly glad I collect music myself, so I'm not at the mercy of
> these tech molochs like apple that can decide on a whim to remove
> music from the collection they offer access to.

That's a recording industry problem, not a tech problem.

JR

Re: apple music

<ka7sj2FtkfnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2278&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2278

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 15:50:58 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:50 UTC

On 2023-04-18, Bob Campbell <nunya@none.none> wrote:
> sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 4:39:34 AM UTC+2, sobriquet wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps not entirely on topic in a newsgroup devoted to the ipad,
>>> but you can use apple music on the ipad.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to find out if a particular album is available on
>>> apple music without actually registering or subscribing to the
>>> service (not even a free trial)?
>>>
>>> For instance, I'm curious whether or not the following two albums
>>> are available on apple music:
>>>
>>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/intertwining-spirits-mw0000910298
>>>
>>> https://www.allmusic.com/album/urban-griot-mw0000011699
>>>
>>> Apple music advertises with the claim that they have 100 million
>>> tracks on offer, but somehow they are seemingly reluctant to offer
>>> an overview of the music they have available.
>>>
>>> Perhaps there is someone here who has a subscription who can show a
>>> screenshot to illustrate that these albums are indeed available in
>>> their proclaimed comprehensive music collection?
>>>
>>> That would be very much appreciated, but given that competing
>>> streaming music services like spotify and deezer don't seem to have
>>> those albums (while they do offer people the service of freely
>>> exploring their catalog), I reckon it's unlikely apple actually has
>>> those albums.
>>
>> Ah, I see it's possible to browse the collection without any
>> subscription shenanigans.
>>
>> https://support.apple.com/guide/music-web/search-for-music-apdmca22e054/web
>>
>> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection
>> (making the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat
>> doubtful).
>
> Neither of these albums are on Spotify either, which leads me to
> believe the artists chose to not make them available via streaming.
> Not some nefarious plot by Apple.

I'm betting you can't purchase to own this music from some retailers as
well. Apple has nothing to do with that either.

JR

Re: apple music

<u1n2q8$3mmfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2279&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2279

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:41:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MaIdzq8okOyyScITuXb8A/vrC24=
 by: Chris - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:41 UTC

sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 7:41:04 AM UTC+2, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2023-04-18, sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As expected the albums are missing from their music collection (making
>>> the claim of having 100 million tracks on offer somewhat doubtful).
>> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
>> album by every artist in their library.
>
> So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that has been
> released in the past that is available through such streaming services offering 100
> million tracks?
> More like 40% or more like 80%?

Is it even knowable? There's a huge amount of released music by small
independents all over the world. Much of it won't have been catalogued
either.

Re: apple music

<cc711432-4809-4dae-ad34-cff74c7c4040n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2280&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2280

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 00:44 UTC

On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 11:41:30 PM UTC+2, Chris wrote:
> sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Nah. It's not doubtful at all. Apple has never claimed to have every
> >> album by every artist in their library.
> >
> > So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music that has been
> > released in the past that is available through such streaming services offering 100
> > million tracks?
> > More like 40% or more like 80%?
> Is it even knowable? There's a huge amount of released music by small
> independents all over the world. Much of it won't have been catalogued
> either.

Well, assuming that music released for commercial reasons is typically produced in
larger quantities, you might pick some arbitrary minimal number like at least 500
copies being produced for sale (though perhaps these days with online distribution
that has kind of changed compared to the past when albums were released on
vinyl or cd).

Re: apple music

<ka9bv3F648hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2281&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2281

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 19 Apr 2023 05:19:32 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 05:19 UTC

On 2023-04-19, sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 18, 2023 at 11:41:30 PM UTC+2, Chris wrote:
>> sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > So what would be a realistic estimate of the percentage of music
>> > that has been released in the past that is available through such
>> > streaming services offering 100 million tracks? More like 40% or
>> > more like 80%?
>>
>> Is it even knowable? There's a huge amount of released music by small
>> independents all over the world. Much of it won't have been
>> catalogued either.
>
> Well, assuming that music released for commercial reasons is typically
> produced in larger quantities, you might pick some arbitrary minimal
> number like at least 500 copies being produced for sale (though
> perhaps these days with online distribution that has kind of changed
> compared to the past when albums were released on vinyl or cd).

Go ahead then. I'm not sure why you need to involve the rest of us in
your endeavor though, as this exercise seems to be a complete waste of
time.

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3267&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3267

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 15:49:47 GMT

Subject: Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 20:15:54 -0400

On 2023-08-02 18:41, Wally J wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>>> Backing up & re-installing apps on a new phone is yet another instance
>>> where iOS is so brain dead that you have to wonder why people use it.
>>
>> Which is about as relevant as you are (very low).
>
> Notice I simply tell the truth about Apple products, which you feel is such
> a dire threat to your imaginary belief system that you resort to insults.

Why don't you take, say, 6 weeks off of this and consult a mental health
professional. Bring along copies of your posts here (in full and
unredacted).

Let him advise you on your mental health status ... and if he prescribes
drugs, it's something to take seriously.

--
“If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."
-Ronald Coase

.
From: "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Fix the Most Annoying iOS 17 Features
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:49:38 -0000 (UTC)

candycanearter07 wrote:

>On 9/20/23 04:54, Wally J wrote:
>>nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>>nope. there is no requirement to upgrade nor is it forced. when
>>>it asks to confirm the upgrade, decline it. you can remain at
>>>whatever version you want. ios developers have multiple devices
>>>with various older versions for testing (which is annoying but
>>>that's how it is).
>>
>>Yet again... *iKooks are completely ignorant of everything about
>>Apple*
>>
>>If you want to be fully supported *you must upgrade from iOS 16 to
>>17*
>>
>>It's not surprising that nospam is completely ignorant of this
>>basic fact.
>
>It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't arbitrarily move the supported
>devices forward. The ONLY one I think was justified was the 32 bit
>cutoff, but they still could've very easily made a 32b version. Hell,
>even Windows does that.

The only time Windows is used as an example in this newsgroup is as a
bad example or to blame them for what Apple is doing.

--
"A zebra does not change its spots." ~ Al Gore
From: Dorper <usenet@dorper.me>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.ipad, comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Apple confirms iOS 17 fix for overheating iPhones is on the way
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 16:36:51 -0700

On Oct 1, 2023, Alan Browne wrote
(in article <xQlSM.36250$%_f1.3838@fx06.iad>):

> On 2023-10-01 17:38, Alan wrote:
> > On 2023-10-01 14:13, Wally J wrote:
> > > Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

> > > Well, both badgolferman and I have said we've worked on military grade
> > > software for decades but you can choose to disbelieve what we say.
> >
> > That's convenient, Clown...
> >
> > ...because we do so choose.
>
> Using terms like "military grade software" is a red flag.
>
> There is a way to say what he desperately wants to convey but since he
> said it the way he said it we know it is poppycock (at best).

Military Grade software does exist. VHDL (MIL-STD-454N) and Ada
(MIL-STD-1815) are examples. But just because something is military grade
doesn't mean it is good. Military grade means it is the cheapest made while
still meeting minimum contract specifications.

.
From: Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Backups in iTunes
Date: 16 Oct 2023 02:57:58 GMT

Click here to read the complete article

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3268&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3268

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Apr 2023 15:50:58 GMT

From: Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 09:35:09 -0400

On 8/2/23 6:28 PM, Wally J wrote:
> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote
>
>>> Steve should add that capability to re-install all the original apps to his
>>> comparison between Android and iOS since only Android autosaves the APK.
>>
>> So you don't like Apple--- fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinion.
>
> Apple zealots think it's about "liking" Apple because that's how you think.
>
> You're a religious zealot who, for example, is a Muslim so you claim that
> anyone who says the truth about Mohammad(1) must not "like" your prophet.
>
> You're so religiously wedded to Islam that you think anyone who ever tells
> the truth must be an extreme danger to you - which is _why_ nospam lied.
>
> The truth is always dangerous to people who own purely religious beliefs.
>
>> What say you go buy yourself an Android and GTF off this newsgroup ;-)
>
> What I said was the truth about Apple.
> Steve also said the truth.
>
> On the other hand, nospam lied.
> Why?
>
> For you religious zealots, the truth is extremely dangerous.
> *You iZealots _hate_ the truth about Apple products*
>
> Worse... you hate anyone bearing the truth.
> You'll do anything in the world to make the truth about Apple just go away.
>
> Because Apple zealots fear the truth more than anything else in the world.

Most religions contend: We are right, everyone else is wrong, we are
better than you.

Sorta' sounds like your posts, eh what... ;-0

--
"The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose."

- Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice, Act I, Scene iii

.
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:03:49 -0400

On 2023-09-20 10:42, candycanearter07 wrote:

> It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't arbitrarily move the supported
> devices forward. The ONLY one I think was justified was the 32 bit
> cutoff, but they still could've very easily made a 32b version. Hell,
> even Windows does that.

Just costs more to keep the OS up to date if it has to support 32b as
well as 64b. So the runtime is larger, s/w testing is longer, etc. and
so on.

Apple transitioned from 32 to 64 over a period of 4 years beginning 10
years ago this month (iOS 7)[1]. More than enough time for app
developers to catch up. (In most cases it was just a re-compile
exercise, and in the rest easy enough to make required changes).

MacOS hung in there a little longer... to 2018 or 19.

Apple has long led the market in pruning out of date/dying technology to
strengthen the rest - whether h/w or s/w.

[1] Test/beta versions came out earlier of course.
--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

.
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 16:37:48 -0700

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3269&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3269

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 21:41:29 -0000 (UTC)

From: sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 12:38:44 -0700

On 8/2/2023 3:14 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

<snip>

> What say you go buy yourself an Android and GTF off this newsgroup ;-)

The original poster in this thread posted the inquiry only on the
Android newsgroup. Then one of our favorite trolls cross-posted it to
other groups (and removed the Android group).

On iPhone and iPad there is a way to transfer an app from an old device
to a new device if the app is no longer available on the App Store. The
iMazing app (for Windows and MacOS) lets you do the app transfer between
two iDevices, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP5kXX7AIu4. Hopefully
this still works.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

.
From: Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:48:09 -0000 (UTC)

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 9/20/23 04:54, Wally J wrote:
>> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>> nope. there is no requirement to upgrade nor is it forced. when it
>>> asks to confirm the upgrade, decline it. you can remain at whatever
>>> version you want. ios developers have multiple devices with various
>>> older versions for testing (which is annoying but that's how it is).
>>
>> Yet again... *iKooks are completely ignorant of everything about Apple*
>>
>> If you want to be fully supported *you _must_ upgrade from iOS 16 to 17*
>>
>> It's not surprising that nospam is completely ignorant of this basic fact.
>
> It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't arbitrarily move the supported
> devices forward. The ONLY one I think was justified was the 32 bit
> cutoff, but they still could've very easily made a 32b version. Hell,
> even Windows does that.

Nope. Windows 11 is 64b only.

.
From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:54:57 +1300

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3270&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3270

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)

From: nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:35:11 -0400

In article <uagvo6$su4v$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> On iPhone and iPad there is a way to transfer an app from an old device
> to a new device if the app is no longer available on the App Store. The
> iMazing app (for Windows and MacOS) lets you do the app transfer between
> two iDevices,

that's one method, except it doesn't work the way you think it does.

there are also several other options.

once again you are talking about things you do not understand.
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:07:40 -0400

On 2023-09-20 13:48, Chris wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>> On 9/20/23 04:54, Wally J wrote:
>>> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>>
>>> Yet again... *iKooks are completely ignorant of everything about Apple*
>>>
>>> If you want to be fully supported *you _must_ upgrade from iOS 16 to 17*
>>>
>>> It's not surprising that nospam is completely ignorant of this basic fact.
>>
>> It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't arbitrarily move the supported
>> devices forward. The ONLY one I think was justified was the 32 bit
>> cutoff, but they still could've very easily made a 32b version. Hell,
>> even Windows does that.
>
> Nope. Windows 11 is 64b only.

Will it run a 32bit app?

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 12:57:18 +1300

On 2023-10-01 23:04:06 +0000, candycanearter07 said:
> On 10/1/23 17:25, Alan wrote:
>>
>> There is a difference between not finding a particular issue in
>> particular circumstances and "forget[ting]" to test.
>>
>> Agreed?
>
> If so many people have this issue then it would've come up in testing.

So far, almost all the people reporting the issue have been reviewers,
many of whom by necessity of the job would be pushing the device to the
limit. There's also the likelihood that some reviewers also got early
production models so they could review the device.

.
From: Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:12:50 +0100
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.
From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Steve's document is crap if it doesn't cover the fundamental difference between iOS & Android app backup & restore
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 15:34:47 -0400

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3271&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3271

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 19 Apr 2023 05:19:32 GMT

From: Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 02:04:48 -0400
References: <51tjcip74rrguo332b7l3590o6bqjdljt1@4ax.com> <kiuj4qFsak4U1@mid.individual.net> <uae0cs$5jeu$1@dont-email.me> <fk2lci9sp7fg1dvfje8u7pl1ecqfq35e40@4ax.com> <uae3gm$6cnq$1@dont-email.me> <qd5lcitgkqmp2rir15epnldopbj2fsa6gt@4ax.com> <uae8dr$19klq$1@paganini.bofh.team> <YmzyM.411836$TPw2.335652@fx17.iad> <uaem0j$1as9b$1@paganini.bofh.team> <020820231850386491%nospam@nospam.invalid> <uaeok3$1b3r4$1@paganini.bofh.team> <hjCyM.456122$GMN3.101997@fx16.iad>

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>> He said "nobody wants it" and it's "not needed".
>
> I did not say that. I said that is the case for most people. Face it,
> an iPhone or Android or any other smartphone is a convenient appliance.

Please don't disagree with the truth about Apple.

All I'm saying is the truth about the iPhone, which, for the TOPIC of
moving an app from one phone to another, is completely brain dead for iOS.

> Does many useful, helpful and even amazing things for all of us - but
> it's not a thing most people want to waste a lot of time on the "care"
> of it.

What you are claiming is that the truth about Apple doesn't apply to you.

The truth is that iOS is brain dead when it comes to moving apps.

That you don't find them brain dead simply means you use them as toys.
And that's fine.

But I listed common things EVERYONE does (except on iOS) for moving apps.

> The few who do can do whatever they like and if that suits them best in
> Android or iPhone or elsewhere, then so be it.

You can repeat that you "like" that iOS can't do anything useful that
EVERYONE else easily does - but you can't say it's not the truth about iOS.
From: Alan <nuh-uh@nope.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:41:01 -0700

On 2023-09-20 07:42, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/20/23 04:54, Wally J wrote:
>> nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote
>>> nope. there is no requirement to upgrade nor is it forced.  when it
>>> asks to confirm the upgrade, decline it. you can remain at whatever
>>> version you want. ios developers have multiple devices with various
>>> older versions for testing (which is annoying but that's how it is).
>>
>> Yet again... *iKooks are completely ignorant of everything about Apple*
>>
>> If you want to be fully supported *you _must_ upgrade from iOS 16 to 17*
>>
>> It's not surprising that nospam is completely ignorant of this basic
>> fact.
>
> It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't arbitrarily move the supported
> devices forward. The ONLY one I think was justified was the 32 bit
> cutoff, but they still could've very easily made a 32b version. Hell,
> even Windows does that.

What do you mean "arbitrarily"?

Apple provides an up-to-date OS for devices up to 6 years old, and you
have no idea how much (or how little) effort it takes to make that happen.
From: candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:09:20 -0500

On 10/1/23 18:54, Your Name wrote:
> On 2023-10-01 22:05:14 +0000, candycanearter07 said:
>> At the very least, it should warn the user if a program is using a lot.
>
> At the very least the user should have enough brains not to use utter
> crap "Social Media" apps like Instagram.  :-p

While I don't disagree, they should still have some safeguards against
rouge apps.

.
From: candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad