Love makes the world go 'round, with a little help from intrinsic angular momentum.

computers / alt.os.linux / Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

SubjectAuthor
* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYNux Vomica
+* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYMarco Moock
|+* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYNux Vomica
||`- Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBozo User
|+* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBlue-Maned_Hawk
||+* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYMarco Moock
|||+* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBlue-Maned_Hawk
|||`* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYbad sector
||| `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYNux Vomica
|||  `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYbad sector
|||   +* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYDan Purgert
|||   |`* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYbad sector
|||   | `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYDan Purgert
|||   |  `- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYbad sector
|||   `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYEgypt Rules You
|||    `- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBozo User
||`* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYNux Vomica
|| +* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYJ.O. Aho
|| |`- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYStéphane CARPENTIER
|| +- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYStéphane CARPENTIER
|| `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBlue-Maned_Hawk
||  `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYMarco Moock
||   `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBlue-Maned_Hawk
||    `- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYMarco Moock
|`* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBranch Covidian Cult
| +- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBlue-Maned_Hawk
| `- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYBozo User
`* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYJörg_Lorenz
 `* Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYMarco Moock
  `- Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLYJörg_Lorenz

Pages:12
Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<17878dfd9404cc1a$353$2194$565a1036@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2381&group=alt.os.linux#2381

From: nv@linux.rocks (Nux Vomica)
Subject: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 14:38:24 +0000
 by: Nux Vomica - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 14:38 UTC

The writing is on the wall.

The latest trends in Linux are truly alarming. Linux is destined
to be an OS for the enterprise (i.e. corporate business) only:

https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=23/09/22/068234

https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=23/09/18/1819216

At the forefront of this is, per usual, IBM's and now Microsoft's
lackey Lennart Poettering.

The milksoppish distro maintainers will quickly follow like limping
dogs on a leash.

Independent workstation users should be very concerned.

Independent workstation users should start to consider FreeBSB or
else push for and contribute to a working GNU HURD.

One comment says it all:

"I'm truly shocked to see Microsoft taking center stage

At a systemd conference

With Lennart

Shocked I tell you."

But where is Torvalds?

These lackeys probably realize that Linus Torvalds is the only obstacle
remaining to their complete appropriation of Linux and would like to have
him totally removed from Linux development.

With Torvalds gone, everyone will be lining up to smooch Poetterings's
fat butt.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<uen1rt$rncv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2382&group=alt.os.linux#2382

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:56:45 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 15:56 UTC

Am 23.09.2023 um 14:38:24 Uhr schrieb Nux Vomica:

> The writing is on the wall.
>
> The latest trends in Linux are truly alarming. Linux is destined
> to be an OS for the enterprise (i.e. corporate business) only:
>
> https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=23/09/22/068234
>
> https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=23/09/18/1819216
>
> At the forefront of this is, per usual, IBM's and now Microsoft's
> lackey Lennart Poettering.
>
> The milksoppish distro maintainers will quickly follow like limping
> dogs on a leash.
>
> Independent workstation users should be very concerned.
>
> Independent workstation users should start to consider FreeBSB or
> else push for and contribute to a working GNU HURD.

What about Slackware?
They refused almost all of Poetterings stuff.

> But where is Torvalds?
>
> These lackeys probably realize that Linus Torvalds is the only
> obstacle remaining to their complete appropriation of Linux and would
> like to have him totally removed from Linux development.

Remember that people hate him because he is not politically correct.

> With Torvalds gone, everyone will be lining up to smooch Poetterings's
> fat butt.

I hope this will never happen.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<178797eff72ee2dc$173$1423060$565a1816@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2383&group=alt.os.linux#2383

From: nv@linux.rocks (Nux Vomica)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:40:41 +0000
 by: Nux Vomica - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:40 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 17:56:45 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> What about Slackware?
> They refused almost all of Poetterings stuff.

There are still several alternatives but in the future
it will become more and more difficult for any distro
to reject the "modernization."

For example, until quite recently I was using static device
nodes because they are the simplest and most efficient way
to set up devices. But then freedesktop.org (which is part
of the IBM/Poettering crowd) suddenly introduced "libinput"
as the one-and-only way to interface with input devices
under X/Wayland. Libinput REQUIRES udev. No exceptions.

What should have happened was that libinput be offered
as merely an alternative to the "legacy" input drivers.
But no, the legacy drivers were utterly abandoned and
now libinput is the ONLY way to access keyboards, pointing
devices, etc.

This is how systemd will slowly become entrenched and destroy
all alternatives.

But now we can cue all the RedHat/IBM/Microsoft/Poettering
apologists to testify about the wonderful and innovative
libinput.

In practice, libinput is garbage. With every update mouse
scrolling stops under GTK+3. I need to modify the
"Send Events Mode Enabled" property and this property
keeps jumping around in number:

xinput --list-props 7

libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (269): 0, 0

It's all weird, useless crap. The legacy drivers never
caused any issues whatsoever.

Most Linux users, however, have their heads totally up their
asses and won't be able to perceive the infestation.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$1635d$d76750df$bef53868$e59dc39c@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2384&group=alt.os.linux#2384

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:08:51 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:08 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 23.09.2023 um 14:38:24 Uhr schrieb Nux Vomica:
>
>> But where is Torvalds?
>>
>> These lackeys probably realize that Linus Torvalds is the only obstacle
>> remaining to their complete appropriation of Linux and would like to
>> have him totally removed from Linux development.
>
> Remember that people hate him because he is not politically correct.

Could you please clarify what you mean by this? I can't seem to find
anything about what you could be referring to.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<uenfs9$then$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2385&group=alt.os.linux#2385

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:55:52 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:55 UTC

Am 23.09.2023 um 19:08:51 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> Marco Moock wrote:
>
> > Am 23.09.2023 um 14:38:24 Uhr schrieb Nux Vomica:
> >
> >> But where is Torvalds?
> >>
> >> These lackeys probably realize that Linus Torvalds is the only
> >> obstacle remaining to their complete appropriation of Linux and
> >> would like to have him totally removed from Linux development.
> >
> > Remember that people hate him because he is not politically correct.
> >

> Could you please clarify what you mean by this? I can't seem to find
> anything about what you could be referring to.

https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/after-years-of-abusive-e-mails-the-creator-of-linux-steps-aside
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/linus-torvalds-defends-his-right-to-shame-linux-kernel-developers/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY

That is something many people hate him, but I think sometimes certain
things must be told in that way, it is sometimes good to do that to
have clean-up.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<17879faeb51e01a6$171$1806417$565a1836@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2386&group=alt.os.linux#2386

From: nv@linux.rocks (Nux Vomica)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:02:37 +0000
 by: Nux Vomica - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 20:02 UTC

On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:08:51 -0000 (UTC), Blue-Maned_Hawk wrote:

> Could you please clarify what you mean by this? I can't seem to find
> anything about what you could be referring to.

He is apparently referring to Torvalds's unabashed rants on the kernel
mailing list against the incompetence that he encounters in developers.

Torvalds does not mince words, which is good.

But the petty snowflakes are always shocked. In fact, there was
a time when Torvalds was literally forced to take a leave of absence
from his position to undergo a period of "sensitivity" training.

What nonsense!

It does, however, portend the fate of Linux in the long run.

Corporate/foundation money will eventually call the shots.

Torvalds could not have been forced to do anything if he was/is
not being paid a salary by the Linux Foundation.

The Linux foundation includes Microsoft, Google, and a lot
of other corp. contributors. With that kind of backing the
principles of FOSS are doomed.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<kn93nnFoombU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2388&group=alt.os.linux#2388

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 23:30:31 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:30 UTC

On 23/09/2023 22.02, Nux Vomica wrote:

> The Linux foundation includes Microsoft, Google, and a lot
> of other corp. contributors. With that kind of backing the
> principles of FOSS are doomed.

They did remove the 2 seats that non-corporate members had, so the
community lost the any kind of influence over the board of Linux
Foundation, so they been just driving the corporate ideas since 2016.

--
//Aho

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$6ffdb$3fa5cfc1$732624f0$b0b7bfbb@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2389&group=alt.os.linux#2389

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:35:46 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:35 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 23.09.2023 um 19:08:51 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:
>
>> Marco Moock wrote:

>> > Remember that people hate him because he is not politically correct.
>> >

>> Could you please clarify what you mean by this? I can't seem to find
>> anything about what you could be referring to.
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/after-years-of-abusive-e-
mails-the-creator-of-linux-steps-aside
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/linus-torvalds-
defends-his-right-to-shame-linux-kernel-developers/
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ017D_JOPY
>
> That is something many people hate him, but I think sometimes certain
> things must be told in that way, it is sometimes good to do that to have
> clean-up.

Those are all about a decade old—have you any evidence they're still
applicable to the modern day? (Though i completely agree with the
offflipping of Nvidia, because it's a company, not a person with feelings
that can be hurt.)

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/
Mr. bluemanedhawk.github.io
The only planet where 100% of Linux systems have working sound is Mars.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<650f5a8c$0$25970$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2390&group=alt.os.linux#2390

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 23 Sep 2023 21:37:16 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:37 UTC

Le 23-09-2023, Nux Vomica <nv@linux.rocks> a écrit :

> The Linux foundation includes Microsoft, Google, and a lot
> of other corp. contributors. With that kind of backing the
> principles of FOSS are doomed.

I'm certainly not a fan of the Linux Foundation. But there is one things
that's good about it and that prevent it of what you try to predict.
There is a maximal amount of money they can donate. So Microsoft will
never be able to become as it is for the WHO, the second bigger after
the US. So they can't threat to stop donate and menace it's viability.

If Microsoft stops to give money to the LFS, it will be a strong message,
but its impact on the finances of the LFS will be invisible. To have a
real impact, they would need to be able to agree with a lot of companies
at the same time. And before doing that, a lot of discussions would have
happen before.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$75d83$becffada$7be123ca$ba7ffaa5@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2391&group=alt.os.linux#2391

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:39:06 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
‚­
gogery­chwyrn­drobw
llÂ
­llan­tysilioÂÂÂÂ
­go go­goch
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:39 UTC

Nux Vomica wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Sep 2023 19:08:51 -0000 (UTC), Blue-Maned_Hawk wrote:
>

>> Could you please clarify what you mean by this? I can't seem to find
>> anything about what you could be referring to.
>>

> He is apparently referring to Torvalds's unabashed rants on the kernel
> mailing list against the incompetence that he encounters in developers.
>
> Torvalds does not mince words, which is good.

There is a pretty significant difference between being blunt and being a
dick. I am all for being transparent in communications. I am not for
being an asshole—that only makes communications worse.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/
Mr. bluemanedhawk.github.io
Do not disturb—tiny grass is dreaming.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<650f5ee2$0$25970$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2392&group=alt.os.linux#2392

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 23 Sep 2023 21:55:46 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 21:55 UTC

Le 23-09-2023, J.O. Aho <user@example.net> a écrit :
> On 23/09/2023 22.02, Nux Vomica wrote:
>
>> The Linux foundation includes Microsoft, Google, and a lot
>> of other corp. contributors. With that kind of backing the
>> principles of FOSS are doomed.
>
> They did remove the 2 seats that non-corporate members had, so the
> community lost the any kind of influence over the board of Linux
> Foundation, so they been just driving the corporate ideas since 2016.

The corporate ideas of the LFS are not very important. The only good
thing they do is grant a salary to Linus. And Linux do what he want. The
most important impact on Linux the big companies have are more like
Intel which pays developers to be the biggest contributors to the kernel
code.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ueqrko$1ta9i$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2411&group=alt.os.linux#2411

From: branch@covidian.cult (Branch Covidian Cult)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 04:35:00 +0200
 by: Branch Covidian Cult - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 02:35 UTC

Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Am 23.09.2023 um 14:38:24 Uhr schrieb Nux Vomica:
>
> > The writing is on the wall.

Yeah, they chalked up the wall with smeared poop art. That GPL license
was shit from day one. GPL is the main driver of the corporate takeover
of Linux.
> > The latest trends in Linux are truly alarming. Linux is destined
> > to be an OS for the enterprise (i.e. corporate business) only:
> >
> > https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=23/09/22/068234
> >
> > https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=23/09/18/1819216
> >
> > At the forefront of this is, per usual, IBM's and now Microsoft's
> > lackey Lennart Poettering.
> >
> > The milksoppish distro maintainers will quickly follow like limping
> > dogs on a leash.

Torvalds already signaled his submission to the mask mafia on the
kernel mailing list. He promoted the RNA death jab and said anyone who
questions it is insane. He said the death jab has saved millions of
lives. There is no scientific evidence of that, with VERS and many
other sources showing countless people have been killed by the Branch
Covidian death shots. Torvalds has been gelded and is no longer a man.
> > Independent workstation users should be very concerned.
> >
> > Independent workstation users should start to consider FreeBSB or
> > else push for and contribute to a working GNU HURD.

To hell with GNU and their stalinist wank. There are plenty of
BSD-licensed operating systems to choose from to use as a base for a
new, GNU-free, FSF-free, GPL-free operating system. As long as they
have you brainwashed with their free software philosophy, the big tech
companies will keep embracing, extending, and extinguishing.

If Linux had shipped with a BSD license instead of the GPL virus then
systemd would never have taken hold.

There are many OSes to choose from ... Haiku, HelloSystem, FreeBSD,
Hjert, Ultibo, Minix, Inferno, Plan9, Oberon, MenuetOS, KolibriOS,
TempleOS, ToaruOS, PhantomOS, Redox, HelenOS, AROS, Ghost ...

> What about Slackware?
> They refused almost all of Poetterings stuff.

"Almost all" isn't good enough.
> > But where is Torvalds?

On his knees knob-slobbing the vaccine bosses.
> > These lackeys probably realize that Linus Torvalds is the only
> > obstacle remaining to their complete appropriation of Linux and
> > would like to have him totally removed from Linux development.

Torvalds guaranteed this outcome with his GPL license choice. FSF has
always been a Trojan horse.
> Remember that people hate him because he is not politically correct.

He joined the Branch Covidian Mask Mafia. Torvalds has fully submitted
himself to the dark side.
> > With Torvalds gone, everyone will be lining up to smooch
> > Poetterings's fat butt.

They shouldn't have been smooching Torvald's ass either. But here we
are. Nerdfags gotta lick someone's pooter to feel furry and happy.
> I hope this will never happen.

It already has.

When you give slimeballs the time of day, this is what happens.

The GPL license is poison. The vax is poison. Torvalds is a sellout.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ueramq$1pnes$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2417&group=alt.os.linux#2417

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:52:10 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 06:52 UTC

Am 23.09.2023 um 21:35:46 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> Those are all about a decade old—have you any evidence they're still
> applicable to the modern day? (Though i completely agree with the
> offflipping of Nvidia, because it's a company, not a person with
> feelings that can be hurt.)

I think that is is normal that people sometimes have a meltdown.
I don't think that insulting people is a good idea, but I think that
sometimes it is necessary to use rude language when things go wrong or
when ideas are really, really bad.

That might hurt feelings, but that is freedom of speech.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ueras4$1pnes$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2418&group=alt.os.linux#2418

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 08:55:00 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 06:55 UTC

Am 23.09.2023 um 21:39:06 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> There is a pretty significant difference between being blunt and
> being a dick. I am all for being transparent in communications. I
> am not for being an asshole—that only makes communications worse.

I agree with that.

What I don't agree with is all the political correctness stuff, like
avoiding the word "blacklist" because a minority feels uncomfortable
with that.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$fe32$cb680758$a9d11a54$d9190335@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2419&group=alt.os.linux#2419

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:28:30 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
‚­
gogery­chwyrn­drobw
llÂ
­llan­tysilioÂÂÂÂ
­go go­goch
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:28 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> I don't think that insulting people is a good idea, but I think that
> sometimes it is necessary to use rude language when things go wrong or
> when ideas are really, really bad.

I only agree with that if the rude language is being used to insult the
ideas, not the people who came up with them.
> That might hurt feelings, but that is freedom of speech.

Ideas are not people. They have no feelings to be hurt.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/
Mr. bluemanedhawk.github.io

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$4acc1$6623377a$1e27b99b$6ab1f8df@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2420&group=alt.os.linux#2420

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:32:46 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
‚­
gogery­chwyrn­drobw
llÂ
­llan­tysilioÂÂÂÂ
­go go­goch
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:32 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> What I don't agree with is all the political correctness stuff, like
> avoiding the word "blacklist" because a minority feels uncomfortable
> with that.

I can quite confidently say that i've never heard anyone complain about
that name because of uncomfortability. I _do_ know that the Linux
kernel's coding style says not to use the phraseology, but as i understood
it that's because there's already too many things that use that
terminology.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/
Mr. bluemanedhawk.github.io
500 pounds of pasta was found dumped in the woods.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ues5vv$1ug1s$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2421&group=alt.os.linux#2421

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:37:50 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:37 UTC

Am 25.09.2023 um 14:28:30 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> Ideas are not people. They have no feelings to be hurt.

But they come from people and some people already feel being hurt when
ideas from them are being criticized.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ues68i$1ug1s$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2422&group=alt.os.linux#2422

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:42:26 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:42 UTC

Am 25.09.2023 um 14:32:46 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> I can quite confidently say that i've never heard anyone complain
> about that name because of uncomfortability.

I never met somebody who complained about that term too, but I know
that a few companies were against using these terms because some people
might feel uncomfortable.

I don't think that such decisions are good because the end of that is
that anybody can feel uncomfortable with anything and that cannot be
used if such regulations exist.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<17883ff9ffec49b2$3$3008$565a1576@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2423&group=alt.os.linux#2423

From: nv@linux.rocks (Nux Vomica)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:00:02 +0000
 by: Nux Vomica - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:00 UTC

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 16:37:50 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 25.09.2023 um 14:28:30 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:
>
>> Ideas are not people. They have no feelings to be hurt.
>
> But they come from people and some people already feel being hurt when
> ideas from them are being criticized.

I don't believe this ridiculous banter.

Torvalds is from Europe and Europeans have a tradition of rigid
discipline which includes being verbally assaulted (or worse) if
one fails in his assigned task.

Americans shared that attitude until recently when the snowflakes
(i.e. pussies) gained prominence.

Human beings are NOT rational creatures. They cannot easily be
persuaded by reason or logical argument. To get their cooperation
a stiff kick in the ass is often required and that is Torvalds's
philosophy.

My advice to all the squeamish snowflakes: join the army/marines.
Your ass will be kicked many times a day and you will be the better
for it.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$d6fe5$698c099a$c174d983$dbb1182f@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2424&group=alt.os.linux#2424

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:59:09 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
‚­
gogery­chwyrn­drobw
llÂ
­llan­tysilioÂÂÂÂ
­go go­goch
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:59 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 25.09.2023 um 14:28:30 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:
>
>> Ideas are not people. They have no feelings to be hurt.
>
> But they come from people and some people already feel being hurt when
> ideas from them are being criticized.

I don't understand the reasoning behind that. A person is not their
ideas.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/
Mr. bluemanedhawk.github.io
Signed in triplicate!

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<pan$55685$959b6c1c$d4040778$a13445a0@invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2425&group=alt.os.linux#2425

From: bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid (Blue-Maned_Hawk)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:04:32 -0000 (UTC)
j3X47bccLcUSi0dkWh1nUZNhANT1tHKUXrNxNLbd9KPb9wDDVrKwmPQMOPQ1oy6
k5I1DwzDeRJd3jVIhDAUxq3ngzJG4CCkNXZxZVMcjefoK2J0gUY2S3rxz/RuTFx
2zHd9U+obimJXMG4edsk/2j5pTU5G1MmzbRLxkfq5EiT1GGsidvMGzi+1goGb2l
GCrN+nGnV8xj3q3JLRDVPL96vUc7Z4aJ3TN1mVqWAMJMfG+Jxh6TQqP+92iZkCU
xtglds1AB6r0aiSHKcnFck+p/c/0CbacFLQcajGcAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
‚­
gogery­chwyrn­drobw
llÂ
­llan­tysilioÂÂÂÂ
­go go­goch
 by: Blue-Maned_Hawk - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:04 UTC

Nux Vomica wrote:

> Torvalds is from Europe and Europeans have a tradition of rigid
> discipline which includes being verbally assaulted (or worse) if one
> fails in his assigned task.

It is a known fact that punitive criminal justice systems fail in their
goal.

> Human beings are NOT rational creatures. They cannot easily be
> persuaded by reason or logical argument. To get their cooperation a
> stiff kick in the ass is often required and that is Torvalds's
> philosophy.

Your claims are quite pessimistic, and i can say that they do not
correlate with my own experiences.

> My advice to all the squeamish snowflakes: join the army/marines. Your
> ass will be kicked many times a day and you will be the better for it.

I think few people are willing to intentionally choose to kill for money.

--
Blue-Maned_Hawk│shortens to Hawk│/
blu.mɛin.dÊ°ak/│he/him/his/himself/
Mr. bluemanedhawk.github.io
Help, i accidentally built a shelf!

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<uet22b$1bsg8$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2426&group=alt.os.linux#2426

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:36:59 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:36 UTC

In article <pan$d6fe5$698c099a$c174d983$dbb1182f@invalid.invalid>,
Blue-Maned_Hawk <bluemanedhawk@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> Am 25.09.2023 um 14:28:30 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:
>>
>>> Ideas are not people. They have no feelings to be hurt.
>>
>> But they come from people and some people already feel being hurt when
>> ideas from them are being criticized.
>
>I don't understand the reasoning behind that. A person is not their
>ideas.

I know of at least one (fairly well known) computer product support
forum/board, where it is explicit policy not to criticize software products
that some people like, lest those people's feelings be hurt.

I would assume it works the same for their ideas and cherished beliefs.

--

"This ain't my first time at the rodeo"

is a line from the movie, Mommie Dearest, said by Joan Crawford at a board meeting.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ueu22p$2d67m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2427&group=alt.os.linux#2427

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:43:21 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:43 UTC

Am 25.09.2023 um 21:59:09 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> Marco Moock wrote:
>
> > Am 25.09.2023 um 14:28:30 Uhr schrieb Blue-Maned_Hawk:
> >
> >> Ideas are not people. They have no feelings to be hurt.
> >
> > But they come from people and some people already feel being hurt
> > when ideas from them are being criticized.
>
> I don't understand the reasoning behind that. A person is not their
> ideas.

Because some people really enjoy being in the victim's role.

The German language has a generic masculinum.

Some people feel uncomfortable with that and request that every time
the male and female word for a group of people has to be used.

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<ueu23i$2d67m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2428&group=alt.os.linux#2428

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:43:46 +0200

Am 25.09.2023 um 22:36:59 Uhr schrieb Kenny McCormack:

> I know of at least one (fairly well known) computer product support
> forum/board, where it is explicit policy not to criticize software
> products that some people like, lest those people's feelings be hurt.

Which forum is that?

Re: Linux Will Be For Enterprise ONLY

<17888a8699225e22$797$1558695$565a1856@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2429&group=alt.os.linux#2429

From: nv@linux.rocks (Nux Vomica)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
References: <17878dfd9404cc1a$353$2194$565a1036@news.usenetexpress.com> <uen1rt$rncv$3@dont-email.me> <pan$1635d$d76750df$bef53868$e59dc39c@invalid.invalid> <uenfs9$then$10@dont-email.me> <pan$6ffdb$3fa5cfc1$732624f0$b0b7bfbb@invalid.invalid> <ueramq$1pnes$7@dont-email.me> <pan$fe32$cb680758$a9d11a54$d9190335@invalid.invalid> <ues5vv$1ug1s$3@dont-email.me> <17883ff9ffec49b2$3$3008$565a1576@news.usenetexpress.com> <pan$55685$959b6c1c$d4040778$a13445a0@invalid.invalid>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:46:10 +0000
 by: Nux Vomica - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:46 UTC

On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:04:32 -0000 (UTC), Blue-Maned_Hawk wrote:

>> Human beings are NOT rational creatures. They cannot easily be
>> persuaded by reason or logical argument.
>>

> Your claims are quite pessimistic

Pessimistic? They are actually REALISTIC.

Advertising executives, loan officers, and political campaign
managers (among many others) would wholeheartedly agree with
my claims.

Witness the "strategy" of Donald Trump, who would be politically
dead meat if not for the innate irrationality of human beings.

Witness the Internet at large, which instead of giving sapient
creatures everywhere a global voice, has resulted in an almost
universal cacophony of conspiracy theories, psycho rants, and
endless ignorant superstitions and prevarications.

> and i can say that they do not correlate with my own experiences.

Your "experiences" are obviously that of someone who has lived
under a rock since birth.