You can't evaluate a man by logic alone. -- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

SubjectAuthor
* Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta
+- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerAndy Burns
+* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerPaul
|`- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta
+* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerBig Al
|`* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerBob Henson
| `- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerAndy Burns
+- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerVanguardLH
+* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerMikeS
|+* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerPaul
||`- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerMikeS
|`* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta
| +* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerAndy Burns
| |`- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta
| `* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerStan Brown
|  +- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta
|  `* Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerKen Blake
|   `- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta
`- Re: Plus sign in File ExplorerFokke Nauta

1
Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh31ovF6nh8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2422&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2422

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Plus sign in File Explorer
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:42:39 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 18:42 UTC

Hi all,

A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course
about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right
on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
How could we find it?

Thanks beforehand.

With regards,
Fokke Nauta

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh346iF75t4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2423&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2423

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Plus sign in File Explorer
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:24:02 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:24 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course
> about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right
> on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
> How could we find it?

I can't see any option where tabs could even be turned off, let alone
turned back on.

Are you able to share her screen, or see a screenshot of it, to confirm
there really is no tab bar? It should be right at the top, where you
would previously expect the title bar to be, if she only has a single
tab open, then the "+" is immediately to the right of the tab name,
which is going to be in the top/left part of the window.

what happens if she types ctrl-T, it should open a new tab each time,
maybe with several visible she'll see what you mean?

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<u8hlv6$2jub7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2424&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2424

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:25:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:25 UTC

On 7/10/2023 2:42 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
> How could we find it?
>
> Thanks beforehand.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta

Using winver.exe, you could verify the patch level of this system.

22000.xxx is the first version of Windows 11.
22621.1848 is my Windows 11 right now, so that might be 22H2 the second version.

The tabbed File Explorer was added somewhere along the way,
and I don't think it was there at first. I don't see a setting
in Options for it.

However, there are some magical incantations here.

https://pureinfotech.com/enable-tabs-file-explorer-windows-11/

vivetool.exe /query # See what items are available

"Type the following command to enable File Explorer tabs on Windows 11 22H2 and press Enter:

vivetool /enable /id:37634385
vivetool /enable /id:39145991

Type the following command to enable File Explorer’s new navigation pane and press Enter:

vivetool /enable /id:36354489
"

( https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-use-vivetool-on-windows-11 )

You can get a download here. If you're presented with a floating
dialog from Google, just select the web browser "Reload" and reload the page and
the cookie it sets will be remembered.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/vivetool.html

That controls things like A/B testing of new features. Really,
some sort of combo servicing stack update and feature enablement
pushed out in a Windows Update thing, should have turned this
on for all users, once they passed a certain release. My guess
would be 22621.xxx would be a requirement, but then I'd have to
trace back somehow, and figure out when it was released. This might
have been after 22H2 was installed by Windows Update.

"Nov 8, 2022 · For Windows 11 version 22H2, this update (KB5019980)
brings Tabs in File Explorer and more UI and UX improvements."

You could do a Repair Install and try and fix it that way,
but we don't want to "kill your friend with that much silly-work" :-)
Maybe using the vivetool.exe will be enough.

If winver.exe reveals 22000.xxx , then that's your problem right there.
You would not be patched up far enough for tabbed File Explorer to appear.

Paul

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<u8hm4h$2juoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2425&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2425

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:28:16 -0400
 by: Big Al - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:28 UTC

On 7/10/23 14:42, this is what Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there
> should be a + sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
> How could we find it?
>
> Thanks beforehand.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta
On my wife's W11, the top of the window has a single tab when first brought up. Beside it is a + sign to add another
tab. Much like web browsers to for adding tabs.

Seems these days, there a a lot of similarities to a lot of applications, like Ctrl+P to print, Ctrl+F for find.
Firefox uses Ctrl+T for a new tab. Didn't test Ctrl+T, I'm sure someone with W11 will/can test that, or you can.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<4wia3ydeo3um.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2426&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2426

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:38:53 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:38 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course
> about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right
> on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
> How could we find it?

https://pureinfotech.com/enable-tabs-file-explorer-windows-11/

Just one of the hits (2nd for me) for an online search, like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+11+file+explorer+tabs

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<u8ho4j$2dcji$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2427&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2427

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:02:27 +0100
 by: MikeS - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:02 UTC

On 10/07/2023 19:42, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course
> about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right
> on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
> How could we find it?
>
> Thanks beforehand.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta

I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.

There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be
opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting
"open in new tab" from the context menu.

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<u8hq17$2ke3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2428&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2428

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:34:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:34 UTC

On 7/10/2023 4:02 PM, MikeS wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 19:42, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
>> How could we find it?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand.
>>
>> With regards,
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.
>
> There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting "open in new tab" from the context menu.

[Picture] [A picture to compare to your screen right now...]

https://i.postimg.cc/V61qZ45S/explorer-plus-sign.gif

I don't really use features like this, and I guess that's
why they turned mine on :-) Part of the "ironic A/B test enablement".

Paul

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<u8hqaq$2dddm$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2429

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 21:39:55 +0100
 by: MikeS - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:39 UTC

On 10/07/2023 21:34, Paul wrote:
> On 7/10/2023 4:02 PM, MikeS wrote:
>> On 10/07/2023 19:42, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a
>>> course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a +
>>> sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see
>>> that + sign.
>>> How could we find it?
>>>
>>> Thanks beforehand.
>>>
>>> With regards,
>>> Fokke Nauta
>>
>> I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.
>>
>> There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be
>> opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting
>> "open in new tab" from the context menu.
>
>    [Picture]  [A picture to compare to your screen right now...]
>
>     https://i.postimg.cc/V61qZ45S/explorer-plus-sign.gif
>
> I don't really use features like this, and I guess that's
> why they turned mine on :-) Part of the "ironic A/B test enablement".
>
>    Paul

You are correct! Like you I rarely use tabs anyway.

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<15uuyuhd0223t$.15nwvyqxr98y0$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2430&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2430

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:40:45 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:40 UTC

Big Al wrote:

> On 7/10/23 14:42, this is what Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there
>> should be a + sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
>> How could we find it?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand.
>>
>> With regards,
>> Fokke Nauta
> On my wife's W11, the top of the window has a single tab when first brought up. Beside it is a + sign to add another
> tab. Much like web browsers to for adding tabs.

The tabs have a coloured icon of a house, the word "home" and an X to close
them on mine with + key to open a new tab.

> Seems these days, there a a lot of similarities to a lot of applications, like Ctrl+P to print, Ctrl+F for find.
> Firefox uses Ctrl+T for a new tab. Didn't test Ctrl+T, I'm sure someone with W11 will/can test that, or you can.

Ctrl+T works fine here.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh4jdfFe9d4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2431&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2431

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:49:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 08:49 UTC

Bob Henson wrote:

> The tabs have a coloured icon of a house, the word "home" and an X to close

Well, the "home" tab has an icon of a house, other "special" folders
have e.g. a not icon for music, or icons for video, download etc,etc.

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh5hqaFis72U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2432&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2432

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:28:42 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:28 UTC

Thanks, Paul. This will help!

Kind regards,
Fokke

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh5hv5Fis72U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2433&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2433

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:31:17 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

On 10/07/2023 22:02, MikeS wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 19:42, Fokke Nauta wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a
>> course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a +
>> sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see
>> that + sign.
>> How could we find it?
>>
>> Thanks beforehand.
>>
>> With regards,
>> Fokke Nauta
>
> I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.
>
> There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be
> opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting
> "open in new tab" from the context menu.

Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?

Fokke

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh5i2pFis72U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2434&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2434

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:33:14 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:33 UTC

On 10/07/2023 20:42, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a course
> about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a + sign right
> on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see that + sign.
> How could we find it?
>
> Thanks beforehand.
>
> With regards,
> Fokke Nauta

Many thanks to you all for your help.
I'm sure we can work it out now.
We're gonna work on it.

Kind regards,
Fokke

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh5ihjFii2bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2435&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2435

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 18:41:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 17:41 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?

yes, presumably from View > Show > Navigator Pane

I think your friend does need to get fully updated, then tabs will just
appear, I started out with 22H2 from more or less day 1 on my Win11
machines, so it's always been there for me ...

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<MPG.3f17d78c3c5d777f99016a@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2437&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2437

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:18:41 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 05:18 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:31:17 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> On 10/07/2023 22:02, MikeS wrote:
> > On 10/07/2023 19:42, Fokke Nauta wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> A friend of mine is using W11 on a laptop, and she is following a
> >> course about it. When she opens File Explorer, there should be a +
> >> sign right on he top bar, to open a new tab sheet. But we don't see
> >> that + sign.
> >> How could we find it?
> >>
> >> Thanks beforehand.
> >>
> >> With regards,
> >> Fokke Nauta
> >
> > I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.
> >
> > There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be
> > opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting
> > "open in new tab" from the context menu.
>
> Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?

LHS and RHS are fairly common abbreviations or left-
hand side and right-hand side, among programmers and
mathematicians. It would have been better if Mike had
referred to it by its actual name, Navigation Pane.
the View » Show menu to control whether the Navigation
Pane appears appears.

By specifying LHS, he implied that Open in New Tab is
available only there. But in fact, right-clicking on
any drive or folder in the main pane gives me both Open
in New Window and Open in New Tab.

Or you can click the "..." in the menu, then Options.
On the General tab you can select Open each folder in
its own window. Near the bottom of the list in the View
tab, under Navigation Pane, is a box I always check:
Expand to Open Folder.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA
https://BrownMath.com/

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh74crFqntqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2438&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2438

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:51:55 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:51 UTC

On 11/07/2023 19:41, Andy Burns wrote:
> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?
>
> yes, presumably from View > Show > Navigator Pane
>
> I think your friend does need to get fully updated, then tabs will just
> appear, I started out with 22H2 from more or less day 1 on my Win11
> machines, so it's always been there for me ...

Thanks,

Fokke

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh74deFqntqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2439&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2439

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:52:14 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:52 UTC

On 12/07/2023 07:18, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:31:17 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>>> I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.
>>>
>>> There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be
>>> opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting
>>> "open in new tab" from the context menu.
>>
>> Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?
>
> LHS and RHS are fairly common abbreviations or left-
> hand side and right-hand side, among programmers and
> mathematicians. It would have been better if Mike had
> referred to it by its actual name, Navigation Pane.
> the View » Show menu to control whether the Navigation
> Pane appears appears.
>
> By specifying LHS, he implied that Open in New Tab is
> available only there. But in fact, right-clicking on
> any drive or folder in the main pane gives me both Open
> in New Window and Open in New Tab.
>
> Or you can click the "..." in the menu, then Options.
> On the General tab you can select Open each folder in
> its own window. Near the bottom of the list in the View
> tab, under Navigation Pane, is a box I always check:
> Expand to Open Folder.

Thanks,

Fokke

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<bahtai9ghgndcu0cjgmide1ttib6sfdso2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2441&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2441

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:34:32 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:18:41 -0700, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 19:31:17 +0200, Fokke Nauta wrote:

>> > I am using 22H2 which has tabs without any need to enable them.
>> >
>> > There is no + on the top bar and no <ctl> T option. Any folder can be
>> > opened in a new tab by right clicking it in the LHS tree and selecting
>> > "open in new tab" from the context menu.
>>
>> Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?
>
>LHS and RHS are fairly common abbreviations or left-
>hand side and right-hand side, among programmers and
>mathematicians.

"Fairly common" does not mean that everybody know them, For example, I
didn't.

As far as I'm concerned, almost all abbreviations should never be used
in newsgroups, especially since there are often participants from all
over the world.. The only exceptions are those few that clearly almost
everyone knows: US, UK, MS, etc.

Yes, it's more trouble to type something out fully. That's why I use
the free AutoHotKey to expand abbreviations. For example, if I type
asap, it results in "as soon as possible." I recommend it. It can also
be use used to correct common spelling errors, typos etc, and even
insert whole sentences or paragraphs that you often want to use.

> It would have been better if Mike had
>referred to it by its actual name, Navigation Pane.
>the View » Show menu to control whether the Navigation
>Pane appears appears.
>
>By specifying LHS, he implied that Open in New Tab is
>available only there. But in fact, right-clicking on
>any drive or folder in the main pane gives me both Open
>in New Window and Open in New Tab.
>
>Or you can click the "..." in the menu, then Options.
>On the General tab you can select Open each folder in
>its own window. Near the bottom of the list in the View
>tab, under Navigation Pane, is a box I always check:
>Expand to Open Folder.

Re: Plus sign in File Explorer

<kh8df7F3tjvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2443&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2443

From: usenet@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:32:56 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 19:32 UTC

On 12/07/2023 17:34, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Thanks, but what is a LHS tree? Left Hand Screen?
>>
>> LHS and RHS are fairly common abbreviations or left-
>> hand side and right-hand side, among programmers and
>> mathematicians.
>

> "Fairly common" does not mean that everybody know them, For example, I
> didn't.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, almost all abbreviations should never be used
> in newsgroups, especially since there are often participants from all
> over the world.. The only exceptions are those few that clearly almost
> everyone knows: US, UK, MS, etc.
>
> Yes, it's more trouble to type something out fully. That's why I use
> the free AutoHotKey to expand abbreviations. For example, if I type
> asap, it results in "as soon as possible." I recommend it. It can also
> be use used to correct common spelling errors, typos etc, and even
> insert whole sentences or paragraphs that you often want to use.
>
>> It would have been better if Mike had
>> referred to it by its actual name, Navigation Pane.
>> the View » Show menu to control whether the Navigation
>> Pane appears appears.
>>
>> By specifying LHS, he implied that Open in New Tab is
>> available only there. But in fact, right-clicking on
>> any drive or folder in the main pane gives me both Open
>> in New Window and Open in New Tab.
>>
>> Or you can click the "..." in the menu, then Options.
>> On the General tab you can select Open each folder in
>> its own window. Near the bottom of the list in the View
>> tab, under Navigation Pane, is a box I always check:
>> Expand to Open Folder.

Fully agree!

Fokke