From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:59:13 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 19:59 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

>> On the iPhone you can't
>> "transfer" apps that are no longer available on the App Store.
>
> another false claim from you.

Steve is correct that Apple's restrictive walled garden prevents this.
For whatever reason, nospam is either ignorant, or a liar. Pick one.

I'm not sure why nospam feels the need to lie about the walled garden.
a. Steve is correct.
b. Nospam is either ignorant or a liar (but in reality, he's a liar).

The iPhone is horribly brain dead when it comes to doing the very many
rather useful things you can do with a free app's APK on Android.

For whatever reason, nospam is lying.
The fact is Steve is correct.

Android _never_ has to make a backup in order to reuse an app on any other
Android phone. Only iOS has to make that backup before you can re-use it.

The reason is that with Android, the backup is completely automatic!
It's already there.

And, if you wanted to, you can save _every_ APK version ever installed.
That way you can re-install any free app on any Android in the world.

There is no chance in hell of iOS being able to do that.
All because of the walled-garden restrictions on IPAs.

For Android, it's any phone - just only Android's registered to you.
(In fact, only IOS _requires_ the username to be a registered component!)

The only way on an iPhone you will ever get the same app version that you
want is if you _saved_ that app version during a backup (e.g., iTunes).

If you haven't expressly saved that app version during your own personal
backup, then you're _never_ going to get that app onto your new device.

Worse... much worse in fact... even if you did save that app version during
a backup - Apple has coded your unique Apple ID into _every_ app so if you
wanted to put the app on another device with a different Apple ID, you
can't (family plans accepted).

This is so freaking restrictive that a typical Android user would be aghast
if they knew how horrible it is to re-install IPAs from the iPhone.

For one, iOS can't autosave every IPA upon intallation. Android does.
For another, iOS can't extract an IPA after installation. Android can.
For yet another, iOS can't put that (free) app on any device. Android can.

The most restrictive problem with the iPhone is that if the app no longer
exists in the app store (in any version or in the version you like best),
and if you didn't already make a backup of that IPA - you're dead.

With Android, you're not.

In summary, for whatever reason, nospam lied as Steve is correct.
Note that both Steve and I use both platforms daily. Nospam does not.

It's obvious not only does nospam know nothing about Android, but since
he's wrong so many times about iOS, he's either ignorant of it, or a liar.

Pick one.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<020820231841021940%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2469&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2469

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 18:41:02 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 22:41 UTC

In article <uaecgv$1a0gr$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> >> On the iPhone you can't
> >> "transfer" apps that are no longer available on the App Store.
> >
> > another false claim from you.
>
> Steve is correct that Apple's restrictive walled garden prevents this.

wrong. nothing prevents it.

the simple fact is that both of you do not know how and wrongly assume
it can't be done. what's worse is it's been explained many times before
and you still make these bogus easily debunked claims.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaenoj$1b1cd$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2472&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2472

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:11:01 -0500
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 23:11 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

>> Steve is correct that Apple's restrictive walled garden prevents this.
>
> wrong. nothing prevents it.
>
> the simple fact is that both of you do not know how and wrongly assume
> it can't be done. what's worse is it's been explained many times before
> and you still make these bogus easily debunked claims.

You _hate_ Apple's walled garden is so restrictive that you lie about it.
But, let's give you yet another chance to say you didn't lie when you did.

1. Micky asked to move apps but some apps no longer exist on the app store.
2. As with most people micky had no backup (which isn't needed on Android).
3. Multiple people told micky he could easily extract any free app
4. Not only that but extracted apps work on any phone (not just his ID)

Then...

5. Steve mentioned this trivially simple task is impossible to do with iOS
(even though it's exactly what anyone sensible would often want to do).

6. Then you claimed that was false.

Yet... you lied.
Why?

Are you really that desperate to claim iOS can do the simplest of things?
It can't.

Either you are ignorant that without a backup it's impossible if the app
(or version) isn't currently in the app store - which David Empson had to
inform both you and Jolly Roger was a fact - despite your constant lies.

Why did you lie?
Are you desperate to defend Apple's honor, nospam?

To the point that you'll lie about what it can do?

Remember, both Steve and I use iOS every day (along with Android).
You do not.

We know the truth.
You do not (or, you lie). Pick one.

Why do you _hate_ truths about Apple so much that you lie to defend Apple?

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<020820231914584115%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2473&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2473

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 19:14:58 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 23:14 UTC

In article <uaenoj$1b1cd$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> 2. As with most people micky had no backup (which isn't needed on Android).

backups are needed on any device.

Re: How to move app from old phone to new phone?

<uaep5u$1b5ek$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2475&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2475

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:35:12 -0500
 by: Wally J - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 23:35 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote

>> 2. As with most people micky had no backup (which isn't needed on Android).
>
> backups are needed on any device.

Nobody is fooled but you nospam that we're talking about the apps.
*How do I redownload and reinstall an older version of iOS app into my iPhone 4S?*
By Ant, Oct 8, 2018
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/56nEgAZIjGk/m/8YwHkJkCAwAJ>

For at least five years, nospam has been lying about iOS IPA installs.
Even David Empson had to rebuke nospam and ask him to stop lying about it.

And that was five years ago.

*What's interesting is _why_ nospam lies about iOS lack of functionality*

Remember, Steve and I both use iOS every day (along with Android).
He does not.

He has no clue what Android can do, for example, Android...
a. Natively backs up the APK to the phone for _every_ app automatically.
b. Backs up the APK for every app _version_ automatically (off by default).
c. Re-installs free APKs to _any_ phone in the world (not just your ID!).
d. If you have sdslots, you can pop it out of phone 1 & put it in phone 2.
e. You can then re-install every app simply by tapping on the sdcard APK.
f. Everything goes in the EXACT folder and exact position as it was before.
g. You can list all apps & their URLs to an editable text file if desired.
h. You can mail that list to anyone and they can install the same apps.
i. Simply by tapping on the links because the output is a normal HTML file.
j. If you lost an app you can get it back even if it's not on the appstore.
etc.

All of that is _impossible_ to do on iOS, even as it's what everyone does.