Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

SubjectAuthor
* A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Graham J
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| +* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Chris
| |`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Char Jackson
| | `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| `* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.AJL
|  +- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Joerg Walther
|  `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Bob Henson
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Jack
|+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Big Al
||`- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
|+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.nospam
||`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Big Al
|| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.nospam
|+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
||`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Graham J
|| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| `* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Paul
|  `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying....winston
|`- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ammammata
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| +- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ammammata
| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Paul
+* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Wade Garrett
|`* Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Ken Blake
| `- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.Wade Garrett
`- Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.MikeS

Pages:12
Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<oojibi9jlq107dt16osab60g7f7602dm1c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2504&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2504

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:14:53 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:14 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:23:09 +0200, Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it>
wrote:

>Ken Blake expressed precisely :
>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>
>trash it
>
>poor cpu

I know.

>poor ram

I know.

But both are probably adequate for my minimal planned use.

>you have time to become a grandfather waiting for the programs to load

I'm already a grandfather..

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<7sjibi1c2gftp7n5bc2srok2p837touh9i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2505&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2505

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:16:27 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:16 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:37:23 -0400, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

>On 7/19/23 10:56 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>>
>> I usually travel with just a smart phone (which I use for e-mail,
>> browser, and Kindle books), but since this is small, light and
>> inexpensive, ($275.99 USD), I'm considering buying one for my upcoming
>> vacation trip to Rome this November. It's not necessary, but it would
>> be a convenience if it's not too big and heavy to lug around.
>>
>> But several questions, for anyone who knows more about this:
>>
>> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
>> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
>> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>>
>> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
>> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>>
>> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
>> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
>> interested in it.
>>
>> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
>> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
>> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
>> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>>
>> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
>> be staying at. Is that correct?
>>
>> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
>> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
>> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>>
>> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
>> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
>> similar price. Perhaps the one at
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM394Y8/ref=pe_27562780_736464450_em_2p_2_lm?th=1
>> or one of those shown at "Compare with similar items" about halfway
>> down the page. Or some other brand.
>
>Long after the warm happiness of saving some dough has faded, you'll
>resent this under-powered device.
>
>Spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get yourself a decent laptop.

No, I'm not willing to. See my other messages in this thread.

>Since you can pay for an overseas vacation, you certainly can afford it ;-(

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9c1f2$3vc8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2506&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2506

From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 20:21:05 +0100
 by: MikeS - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 19:21 UTC

On 19/07/2023 15:56, Ken Blake wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>
> I usually travel with just a smart phone (which I use for e-mail,
> browser, and Kindle books), but since this is small, light and
> inexpensive, ($275.99 USD), I'm considering buying one for my upcoming
> vacation trip to Rome this November. It's not necessary, but it would
> be a convenience if it's not too big and heavy to lug around.
>
> But several questions, for anyone who knows more about this:
>
> 1. It comes with Windows 11S. I think I've read here that converting
> 11S to 11 Home is free and easy to do, but not having a computer with
> 11S, I don't pay attention. Is that correct?
>
> 2. It apparently has a number pad rather than a trackpad. Does that
> mean that the touchscreen has to be used for mouse movements?
>
> 3. Does it have USB ports? Can I plug a mouse in and use that instead
> of the touchscreen? If I have to use the touchscreen, I'm probably not
> interested in it.
>
> 4. At that price it comes with a 256GB SSD, but instead it can be
> bought with 128GB for $249.99. I would use it for almost nothing
> except Thunderbird e-mail, Firefox, and a utility or two, so is 128GB
> enough, or would it be worth spending the extra $50 for 256GB?
>
> 4. I assume that I could connect to the free Wi-Fi in the hotel I'll
> be staying at. Is that correct?
>
> 5. With a Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM, I assume that it will be
> slow, but my hope is that its speed would be adequate for Thunderbird
> and Firefox. Any opinions on that?
>
> 6. Do you think it's a good choice or a bad choice? Can you recommend
> something you thing would be better (but still small and light) at a
> similar price. Perhaps the one at
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QM394Y8/ref=pe_27562780_736464450_em_2p_2_lm?th=1
> or one of those shown at "Compare with similar items" about halfway
> down the page. Or some other brand.

Not sure what you expected with this thread as you seem to have rejected
most of the advice. You might have been better off searching for a review.
https://www.digitweek.com/asus-vivobook-flip-14-tp470ea-as34t-review/

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9d8g3$4i2g$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2512&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2512

From: ammammata@tiscali.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 08:27:14 +0200
 by: Ammammata - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 06:27 UTC

Ken Blake formulated the question :
>> poor cpu
>
> I know.
>
>> poor ram
>
> I know.

yup, bud did you ever ever used such a shame of computer?
I mean, you read on the web several times that W10/W11 are "playable"
only with a certain level of CPU and a reasonable amount of RAM, and
that minimum specifications by MS are a joke whenever you want to run
something more than calc or notepad

A comparison between CPUs, even if it's a desktop/mobile mix:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4675vs739vs3239/Intel-i5-12500-vs-Intel-i3-550-vs-Intel-Celeron-N4000

The first is my current pc (desktop), the middle one is my previous pc
(desktop too), TEN+ years old, that on the right is the N4000 Celeron

Anyway, “Cent co, cent crap… cent cu, dusent ciap” ;-)
make your choice and live happily

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9d95i$352af$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2513&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2513

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 02:38:42 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 06:38 UTC

On 7/20/2023 11:14 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 08:23:09 +0200, Ammammata <ammammata@tiscali.it>
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake expressed precisely :
>>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1
>>
>> trash it
>>
>> poor cpu
>
> I know.
>
>> poor ram
>
> I know.
>
> But both are probably adequate for my minimal planned use.
>
>> you have time to become a grandfather waiting for the programs to load
>
> I'm already a grandfather..

In some cases, these machines have soldered-down RAM for one slot
worth of RAM, plus they have a second SODIMM slot for upgrades.

This is not the case, if the CPU is so cheap, it actually has
a 4GB address limit.

That's why getting the model number, viewing a take-apart, can show
the upgrade slot.

Paul

Re: A Laptop I'm Considering Buying.

<u9dv8e$38jmf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2514&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2514

From: wade@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 08:55:40 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:55 UTC

On 7/20/23 11:16 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 07:37:23 -0400, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/19/23 10:56 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
>>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoBook-Touchscreen-Processor-NumberPad/dp/B0C2RC6Z1X/ref=psdc_565108_t2_B09QM394Y8?th=1

>> Long after the warm happiness of saving some dough has faded, you'll
>> resent this under-powered device.
>>
>> Spend a couple of hundred bucks more and get yourself a decent laptop.
>

> No, I'm not willing to. See my other messages in this thread.

Like I said, you'll end unhappy with that dog.

Report back in three months ;-)

--
In life, it’s important to know when to stop arguing with people and
simply let them be wrong