Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot. -- Oliver Elphick

computers / alt.os.linux / large ext4 file transfers to Mac

SubjectAuthor
* large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
+* large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
|`* large ext4 file transfers to MacPaul
| +* large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
| |`* large ext4 file transfers to MacBozo User
| | `- large ext4 file transfers to MacPaul
| `* large ext4 file transfers to MacCarlos E. R.
|  `* large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
|   `* large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
|    +* large ext4 file transfers to MacDan Purgert
|    |`- large ext4 file transfers to MacCarlos E. R.
|    `* large ext4 file transfers to MacPaul
|     `- large ext4 file transfers to MacCarlos E. R.
+- large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
`* large ext4 file transfers to MacJasen Betts
 `* large ext4 file transfers to Macbad sector
  `- large ext4 file transfers to MacCarlos E. R.

1
large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<LIydnY4QsJkXcLT4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2556&group=alt.os.linux#2556

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:23:27 -0400
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: large ext4 file transfers to Mac
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 01:23 UTC

My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
huge files to it without putting them up on
a network?

Case in point an mp4 of 45gb

is there any way to get a MAc to read ext4
like on an ext4 usb stick?

TIA

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<dyqdnVFG3tUIbrT4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2557&group=alt.os.linux#2557

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:49:14 -0400
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 01:49 UTC

On 10/13/23 21:23, bad sector wrote:

> My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
> huge files to it without putting them up on
> a network?
>
> Case in point an mp4 of 45gb
>
> is there any way to get a MAc to read ext4
> like on an ext4 usb stick?
>
> TIA

I'm thinking of maybe a common fs like NTFS...

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<ugd4ld$3m6sc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2558&group=alt.os.linux#2558

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:15:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 04:15 UTC

On 10/13/2023 9:49 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/13/23 21:23, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
>> huge files to it without putting them up on
>> a network?
>>
>> Case in point an mp4 of 45gb
>>
>> is there any way to get a MAc to read ext4
>> like on an ext4 usb stick?
>>
>> TIA
>
> I'm thinking of maybe a common fs like NTFS...

Mac has NTFS read (as some sort of guarantee).

You can never tell whether it has NTFS write,
if you read any official sources.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253397595

https://iboysoft.com/ntfs-for-mac/free-ntfs-for-mac.html # "iBoysoft wants $75 for one copy"

"Tuxera and Paragon both make NTFS write software for macOS."

That gives you some idea, there is a catch to writing NTFS on the MacOS side.
(If your wifes Mac wanted to send files on a disk, via NTFS, to you.)

But for the direction you have in mind (Linux NTFS write --> MacOS NTFS read),
you could attempt that.

ExFAT, that's another one you could research.

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/does-exfat-work-on-mac-and-pc.html

"Is exFAT a Good Format?

If you use Windows and Mac computers frequently and need to transfer
data across platforms, then exFAT is a good choice.

exFAT is also supported in some versions of Linux, but only
if the applicable software conversion is installed."

One issue, is NTFS stack performance on Linux. It's not exactly fast.
I do not know how ExFAT compares. It's never been popular in the room here,
is all I can tell you. I've put it on devices, it seems to come right off.

*******

I have three enclosures with wall adapters, and the interface
is USB3. That's the tool I would use for the job, rather than a USB stick.
That runs faster than my GbE cable at 112MB/sec.

Using my USB3 to SATA cable, I might get 250-300MB/sec.

But if the source and destination involve legacy hard drives
(slow actual source, slow actual sink) then too much optimization will not help.

*******

Even with its limitations, NTFS looks best right now. The
others require a bit more work.

Linux Windows macOS
Read Write Read Write Read Write

NTFS native native native native native ---
Tuxera,Paragon

ExFAT ? ? native native native native
LinuxKernel5.4?

EXT4 native native ? ? ? ?
(thirdparty) macFUSE,Paragon

There are also some solutions on Windows, that involve IFS,
which is similar to FUSE in concept. An example of search terms
for Windows. An early example was "EXT2IFS" which was not Dokan,
and was written directly in a programming language. Sadly, the
developer did not continue that one. It might have been EXT1 and
required the "expansion conversion" to handle bigger disks. But
it was the earliest example of what you could do with IFS.

dokany ext4 windows # FUSE like, likely IFS based at some level
# user community for SW is small, could be unknown unknowns

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/mac-solutions/macos-mount-ext4.html # macFUSE

Paul

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<M4CcnUWqz9KgGrf4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2559&group=alt.os.linux#2559

Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:19:09 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:19 UTC

On 10/14/23 00:15, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>
> Linux Windows macOS
> Read Write Read Write Read Write
>
> NTFS native native native native native ---
> Tuxera,Paragon
>
> ExFAT ? ? native native native native
> LinuxKernel5.4?
>
> EXT4 native native ? ? ? ?
> (thirdparty) macFUSE,Paragon
>
> There are also some solutions on Windows, that involve IFS,
> which is similar to FUSE in concept. An example of search terms
> for Windows. An early example was "EXT2IFS" which was not Dokan,
> and was written directly in a programming language. Sadly, the
> developer did not continue that one. It might have been EXT1 and
> required the "expansion conversion" to handle bigger disks. But
> it was the earliest example of what you could do with IFS.
>
> dokany ext4 windows # FUSE like, likely IFS based at some level
> # user community for SW is small, could be unknown unknowns

Thanks Paul, I need read only on the Mac side and have already copied
one file to an NTFS usb dongle, haven't tested it yet. The speed is no
issue since the usb limitation seems to be controlling. I'll have more
to feed back tonight.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<kovfjkFm0tnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2560&group=alt.os.linux#2560

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:24:20 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:24 UTC

On 2023-10-14 06:15, Paul wrote:
> On 10/13/2023 9:49 PM, bad sector wrote:
>> On 10/13/23 21:23, bad sector wrote:

> But for the direction you have in mind (Linux NTFS write --> MacOS NTFS read),
> you could attempt that.
>
> ExFAT, that's another one you could research.
>
> https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/does-exfat-work-on-mac-and-pc.html
>
> "Is exFAT a Good Format?
>
> If you use Windows and Mac computers frequently and need to transfer
> data across platforms, then exFAT is a good choice.
>
> exFAT is also supported in some versions of Linux, but only
> if the applicable software conversion is installed."
>
> One issue, is NTFS stack performance on Linux. It's not exactly fast.
> I do not know how ExFAT compares. It's never been popular in the room here,
> is all I can tell you. I've put it on devices, it seems to come right off.
>
> *******
>
> I have three enclosures with wall adapters, and the interface
> is USB3. That's the tool I would use for the job, rather than a USB stick.
> That runs faster than my GbE cable at 112MB/sec.
>
> Using my USB3 to SATA cable, I might get 250-300MB/sec.
>
> But if the source and destination involve legacy hard drives
> (slow actual source, slow actual sink) then too much optimization will not help.
>
> *******
>
> Even with its limitations, NTFS looks best right now. The
> others require a bit more work.
>
> Linux Windows macOS
> Read Write Read Write Read Write
>
> NTFS native native native native native ---
> Tuxera,Paragon
>
> ExFAT ? ? native native native native
> LinuxKernel5.4?

exFAT works perfectly on Linux, I have no problems with it. The problems
I have is with TV sets not supporting it, even new devices. I also tried
it on an HP printer bought 2018, failed.

And it is native support, not fuse.

mount:

/dev/sda1 on /media/Emtec64 type exfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

(automated mount by Thunar on XFS on Leap 15.5, which is far from being
a modern version, kernel is 5.14.21-150500.55.28-default)

Notice that there is fsck.exfat, but not fsck.ntfs, which is reason
enough for me to prefer exfat.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<MrGcnebvAo07Mrf4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2561&group=alt.os.linux#2561

Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:11:33 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:11 UTC

On 10/14/23 08:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-10-14 06:15, Paul wrote:
>> On 10/13/2023 9:49 PM, bad sector wrote:
>>> On 10/13/23 21:23, bad sector wrote:
>

>> But for the direction you have in mind (Linux NTFS write --> MacOS
>> NTFS read),
>> you could attempt that.
>>
>> ExFAT, that's another one you could research.
>>
>> https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/does-exfat-work-on-mac-and-pc.html
>>
>>    "Is exFAT a Good Format?
>>
>>     If you use Windows and Mac computers frequently and need to transfer
>>     data across platforms, then exFAT is a good choice.
>>
>>     exFAT is also supported in some versions of Linux, but only
>>     if the applicable software conversion is installed."
>>
>> One issue, is NTFS stack performance on Linux. It's not exactly fast.
>> I do not know how ExFAT compares. It's never been popular in the room
>> here,
>> is all I can tell you. I've put it on devices, it seems to come right
>> off.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> I have three enclosures with wall adapters, and the interface
>> is USB3. That's the tool I would use for the job, rather than a USB
>> stick.
>> That runs faster than my GbE cable at 112MB/sec.
>>
>> Using my USB3 to SATA cable, I might get 250-300MB/sec.
>>
>> But if the source and destination involve legacy hard drives
>> (slow actual source, slow actual sink) then too much optimization will
>> not help.
>>
>> *******
>>
>> Even with its limitations, NTFS looks best right now. The
>> others require a bit more work.
>>
>>               Linux          Windows          macOS
>>           Read  Write      Read  Write     Read   Write
>>
>> NTFS     native native    native native   native  ---
>>                                            Tuxera,Paragon
>>
>> ExFAT      ?      ?       native native   native native
>>           LinuxKernel5.4?
>
> exFAT works perfectly on Linux, I have no problems with it. The problems
> I have is with TV sets not supporting it, even new devices. I also tried
> it on an HP printer bought 2018, failed.
>
> And it is native support, not fuse.
>
> mount:
>
> /dev/sda1 on /media/Emtec64 type exfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
>
> (automated mount by Thunar on XFS on Leap 15.5, which is far from being
> a modern version, kernel is 5.14.21-150500.55.28-default)
>
> Notice that there is fsck.exfat, but not fsck.ntfs, which is reason
> enough for me to prefer exfat.

I haven't tried exfat yet but will tomorrow. My TV is a 3 year old
otherwise crappy Samsung el-cheapo and I was really surprised that it
plays the NTFS video just like that.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<4vWdnd_JvKsEQbb4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2562&group=alt.os.linux#2562

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:35:35 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 12:35 UTC

On 10/14/23 11:11, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/14/23 08:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>

>>> But for the direction you have in mind (Linux NTFS write --> MacOS
>>> NTFS read),
>>> you could attempt that.
>>>
>>> ExFAT, that's another one you could research.
>>>
>>> https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/does-exfat-work-on-mac-and-pc.html
>>>
>>>    "Is exFAT a Good Format?
>>>
>>>     If you use Windows and Mac computers frequently and need to transfer
>>>     data across platforms, then exFAT is a good choice.
>>>
>>>     exFAT is also supported in some versions of Linux, but only
>>>     if the applicable software conversion is installed."
>>>
>>> One issue, is NTFS stack performance on Linux. It's not exactly fast.
>>> I do not know how ExFAT compares. It's never been popular in the room
>>> here,
>>> is all I can tell you. I've put it on devices, it seems to come right
>>> off.
>>>
>>> *******
>>>
>>> I have three enclosures with wall adapters, and the interface
>>> is USB3. That's the tool I would use for the job, rather than a USB
>>> stick.
>>> That runs faster than my GbE cable at 112MB/sec.
>>>
>>> Using my USB3 to SATA cable, I might get 250-300MB/sec.
>>>
>>> But if the source and destination involve legacy hard drives
>>> (slow actual source, slow actual sink) then too much optimization
>>> will not help.
>>>
>>> *******
>>>
>>> Even with its limitations, NTFS looks best right now. The
>>> others require a bit more work.
>>>
>>>               Linux          Windows          macOS
>>>           Read  Write      Read  Write     Read   Write
>>>
>>> NTFS     native native    native native   native  ---
>>>                                            Tuxera,Paragon
>>>
>>> ExFAT      ?      ?       native native   native native
>>>           LinuxKernel5.4?
>>
>> exFAT works perfectly on Linux, I have no problems with it. The
>> problems I have is with TV sets not supporting it, even new devices. I
>> also tried it on an HP printer bought 2018, failed.
>>
>> And it is native support, not fuse.
>>
>> mount:
>>
>> /dev/sda1 on /media/Emtec64 type exfat
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
>>
>> (automated mount by Thunar on XFS on Leap 15.5, which is far from
>> being a modern version, kernel is 5.14.21-150500.55.28-default)
>>
>> Notice that there is fsck.exfat, but not fsck.ntfs, which is reason
>> enough for me to prefer exfat.
>
> I haven't tried exfat yet but will tomorrow. My TV is a 3 year old
> otherwise crappy Samsung el-cheapo and I was really surprised that it
> plays the NTFS video just like that.

I noticed that copying one 4.5gb file to an xfat usb device is quite
fast but a large folder of 60 4-minute/100-300mb mp4's takes hours.

The TV handles ExFat as well with no problem (Samsung UN65RU8000FXZ3)

The Mac testing is on hold (wife has 'better things to do' with her Mac)

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<slrnuinvmb.2f4.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2564&group=alt.os.linux#2564

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:00:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:00 UTC

On 2023-10-15, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/14/23 11:11, bad sector wrote:
> [...]
> I noticed that copying one 4.5gb file to an xfat usb device is quite
> fast but a large folder of 60 4-minute/100-300mb mp4's takes hours.

One filehandle open/close operation vs 60; though "hours" seems a bit
much.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<kp2egdF951kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2566&group=alt.os.linux#2566

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:23:56 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:23 UTC

On 2023-10-15 17:00, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 2023-10-15, bad sector wrote:
>> On 10/14/23 11:11, bad sector wrote:
>> [...]
>> I noticed that copying one 4.5gb file to an xfat usb device is quite
>> fast but a large folder of 60 4-minute/100-300mb mp4's takes hours.
>
> One filehandle open/close operation vs 60; though "hours" seems a bit
> much.

The big file operation was likely cached. Repeat the operation and issue
a "flush" command.

60 files of average 300 Mb, that's 18 GB. Writing on an USB stick will
be slow, as slow as 2 MB/minute. Depends on the stick. Can be measured.

Try:

dd if=big_file of=/media/stick bs=16M oflag=direct \
status=progress conv=sync,noerror

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<ughlf2$niis$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2570&group=alt.os.linux#2570

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:26:56 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:26 UTC

On 10/15/2023 8:35 AM, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/14/23 11:11, bad sector wrote:

>>> exFAT works perfectly on Linux, I have no problems with it. The problems I have is with TV sets not supporting it, even new devices. I also tried it on an HP printer bought 2018, failed.
>>>
>>> And it is native support, not fuse.
>>>
>>> mount:
>>>
>>> /dev/sda1 on /media/Emtec64 type exfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
>>>
>>> (automated mount by Thunar on XFS on Leap 15.5, which is far from being a modern version, kernel is 5.14.21-150500.55.28-default)
>>>
>>> Notice that there is fsck.exfat, but not fsck.ntfs, which is reason enough for me to prefer exfat.
>>
>> I haven't tried exfat yet but will tomorrow. My TV is a 3 year old otherwise crappy Samsung el-cheapo and I was really surprised that it plays the NTFS video just like that.
>
> I noticed that copying one 4.5gb file to an xfat usb device is quite fast but a large folder of 60 4-minute/100-300mb mp4's takes hours.
>
> The TV handles ExFat as well with no problem (Samsung UN65RU8000FXZ3)
>
> The Mac testing is on hold (wife has 'better things to do' with her Mac)

You're beating the piss out of the directory file. The worry is, that USB
sticks don't have "proper" static+dynamic wear leveling. Only a couple sticks do.

If you make a tree structure, N-ary, you can spread the directory
update load onto different sections of the device.

Sending over a single ZIP file or TAR file, might be technically better
for the device. But of course, no good at the destination (not all your
devices will be willing to show they really can open those formats).
Macs can have a Terminal, and you can "do stuff" there :-) The Mac G4
sitting next to me, I was using Terminal in there, all the time.

One other thing to note -- modern OSes seem to be using their write cache
when talking to USB sticks. This is silly, and it makes it hard to see
how the stick is being treated. There was a time, when writes to USB
were done without caching, and you could see the really cheap USB
sticks, the performance changing sinusoidally. When you watch a cache-equipped
path do this, the progress indicator seems to indicate a "stall",
a stall that is not present. Unless the USB stick has a LED, you will
have no idea how the physical writes are being done. Some people interpret
this "stall" as "my USB stick is broken". And that's a bad thing, when you
cause consumers to doubt their kit.

Paul

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<kp34b3Fak92U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2571&group=alt.os.linux#2571

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 23:36:35 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:36 UTC

On 2023-10-15 23:26, Paul wrote:
> On 10/15/2023 8:35 AM, bad sector wrote:

> One other thing to note -- modern OSes seem to be using their write cache
> when talking to USB sticks. This is silly, and it makes it hard to see
> how the stick is being treated. There was a time, when writes to USB
> were done without caching, and you could see the really cheap USB
> sticks, the performance changing sinusoidally. When you watch a cache-equipped
> path do this, the progress indicator seems to indicate a "stall",
> a stall that is not present. Unless the USB stick has a LED, you will
> have no idea how the physical writes are being done. Some people interpret
> this "stall" as "my USB stick is broken". And that's a bad thing, when you
> cause consumers to doubt their kit.

On my system, I can see the i/o activity displayed (graphed) on gkrellm,
in the box for that USB stick.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<uuScnb43p9lzErH4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2573&group=alt.os.linux#2573

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.26.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@invalid.net (bad sector)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 21:20:46 -0400
 by: bad sector - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 01:20 UTC

On 10/13/23 9:23 PM, bad sector wrote:

> My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
> huge files to it without putting them up on
> a network?
>
> Case in point an mp4 of 45gb
>
> is there any way to get a MAc to read ext4
> like on an ext4 usb stick?
>
> TIA

So I ended up answering this in my other thread

To recap:

What works is (dos) partitioning with fdisk to create a partition and
setting its type to 07 (NTFS/exFAT) and then formatting that partition
to exFAT. Linux (under Suse-Leap) wrote to it no problem and the Mac
read it no problem.

NTFS 'might' be made to work but I'm lazy and will not explore that
avenue unless forced to. The stock Mac could not read it.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<uglur3$buk$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2574&group=alt.os.linux#2574

From: usenet@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:31:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:31 UTC

On 2023-10-14, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:

> My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
> huge files to it without putting them up on
> a network?

why? scp and rsync are so easy.

> Case in point an mp4 of 45gb
>
> is there any way to get a MAc to read ext4
> like on an ext4 usb stick?

split the file into 3.9GiB chunks (eg use "split" or zip it and use
"zipsplit' ) and then write the parts to FAT32 media

--
Jasen.
🇺🇦 Слава Україні

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<deqcnV2MMtMUL7P4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2575&group=alt.os.linux#2575

Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:12:57 -0400
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:12 UTC

On 10/17/23 08:31, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2023-10-14, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:
>>
>> My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
>> huge files to it without putting them up on
>> a network?
>
> why? scp and rsync are so easy.

don't want wife's Mac connected to my computer in way shape or form :-)

or her pad or her smartphone for that matter, all of those have I'm sure
more malignant bugs aboard than three anthills

>> Case in point an mp4 of 45gb
>>
>> is there any way to get a MAc to read ext4
>> like on an ext4 usb stick?
>
> split the file into 3.9GiB chunks (eg use "split" or zip it and use
> "zipsplit' ) and then write the parts to FAT32 media

it's solved, ExFat works

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<kp7v01F9i3eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2576&group=alt.os.linux#2576

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:36:01 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:36 UTC

On 2023-10-17 18:12, bad sector wrote:
> On 10/17/23 08:31, Jasen Betts wrote:
>> On 2023-10-14, bad sector <forgetski@INVALID.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> My wife has a mac laptop, how can I transfer
>>> huge files to it without putting them up on
>>> a network?
>>
>> why? scp and rsync are so easy.
>
> don't want wife's Mac connected to my computer in way shape or form :-)
>
> or her pad or her smartphone for that matter, all of those have I'm sure
> more malignant bugs aboard than three anthills

LOL.

You don't have to worry, scp can not transfer a virus. It can send,
maybe, files, but not outside of the connecting account. You could
create a user for that purpose, and it is even safer if it is you who
runs the command.

If you fear that the mp4 can be subverted, well, yes, an usb stick will
pose the same risk :-p

Anyway, as you are probably sharing the same router, possibly the
malware is probably already scanning all machines, including yours, for
vulnerabilities >:-P

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<slrnuj0bua.oeb.anthk@localhost.localdomain>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2583&group=alt.os.linux#2583

From: anthk@disroot.org (Bozo User)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 09:25:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Bozo User - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 09:25 UTC

On 2023-10-14, bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> which is similar to FUSE in concept. An example of search terms
>> for Windows. An early example was "EXT2IFS" which was not Dokan,
>> and was written directly in a programming language. Sadly, the
>> developer did not continue that one. It might have been EXT1 and
>> required the "expansion conversion" to handle bigger disks. But
>> it was the earliest example of what you could do with IFS.
>>
>> dokany ext4 windows # FUSE like, likely IFS based at some level
>> # user community for SW is small, could be unknown unknowns
>>
>> https://recoverit.wondershare.com/mac-solutions/macos-mount-ext4.html # macFUSE
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Thanks Paul, I need read only on the Mac side and have already copied
> one file to an NTFS usb dongle, haven't tested it yet. The speed is no
> issue since the usb limitation seems to be controlling. I'll have more

Aside to NTFS, there's UDF where you can share files back and forth with no issues.

Re: large ext4 file transfers to Mac

<ugr0ah$9nc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2584&group=alt.os.linux#2584

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 06:27:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:27 UTC

On 10/19/2023 5:25 AM, Bozo User wrote:

> Aside to NTFS, there's UDF where you can share files back and forth with no issues.

There is a table half way down this page, on the subject of "version issues".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Paul