From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Duplicated MSoft365
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 09:54:56 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 23:54 UTC

I have MSoft 11 pro

I migrated to MS365 a while ago, while keeping my email server with
another provider (iiNet).

However iiNet shut down, and I had to transfer all emails and history
over to Outlook365.

Now I am getting two charges, monthly, to my credit card, presumably
for MS365 & Outlook(Office)365....
https://postimg.cc/mzg7wvK2

Going to Settings/Apps I see there is MS365 and MSOfficeOutlook365
installed, and so I am being charged for both.....
https://postimg.cc/N5q5fhb9

I ask:

1 / Can I safely delete (from Settings/Apps) the latter (Outlook365)
and still keep the MS365, and will all the Outlook email and history
be preserved?

2/ Would this deletion be reversible if things go wrong.
Would a complete system backup reverse the operation if necessary?

3/ Will MSoft automatically stop charging the monthly fee for the
Outlook365?

4/ Is there anything else I should consider. Please help, P

Re: Duplicated MSoft365

<MPG.3f398bc4295cb197989a7b@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2563&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2563

From: PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Duplicated MSoft365
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 11:52:24 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:52 UTC

In article <7dntcid8lum199om03t6jn955bevmrhjua@4ax.com>, Peter Jason wrote...

> I have MSoft 11 pro
>
> I migrated to MS365 a while ago, while keeping my email server with
> another provider (iiNet).
>
> However iiNet shut down, and I had to transfer all emails and history
> over to Outlook365.
>
> Now I am getting two charges, monthly, to my credit card, presumably
> for MS365 & Outlook(Office)365....
> https://postimg.cc/mzg7wvK2
>
> Going to Settings/Apps I see there is MS365 and MSOfficeOutlook365
> installed, and so I am being charged for both.....
> https://postimg.cc/N5q5fhb9
>
> I ask:
>
> 1 / Can I safely delete (from Settings/Apps) the latter (Outlook365)
> and still keep the MS365, and will all the Outlook email and history
> be preserved?
>
> 2/ Would this deletion be reversible if things go wrong.
> Would a complete system backup reverse the operation if necessary?
>
> 3/ Will MSoft automatically stop charging the monthly fee for the
> Outlook365?
>
> 4/ Is there anything else I should consider. Please help, P

Microsoft are simply *awful* over naming things (and renaming things) in the
most confusing possible way. 'Outlook' can mean an application program, or a
service, and one can be used with the other. 'Office 365' became 'Microsoft
365' with no discernible increase in anyone's understanding to offset the
inevitable confusion. You are not alone.

I don't *think* there is any such thing as Outlook 365. I'm guessing you have
two subscriptions to what is now called 'Microsoft 365'. I think it very
unlikely that MS would notice that you've uninstalled something and stop
charging you for it. I think you'll need to contact MS somehow (never easy,
though it might be easier if money is involved).

As for your emails, if they are on the server (presumably now a Microsoft
server) and synchronised by Imap or via MS's proprietory protocol (which I know
little about) then you have two copies.

It's not easy, but I think you need to spend some time figuring out exactly
what you've got, and which one is providing your email mailbox, then talk to
MS. Good luck!

--

Phil, London

Re: Duplicated MSoft365

<uao3mg$28q4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2565&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2565

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 08:29:03 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 12:29 UTC

On 8/6/23 06:52, this is what Philip Herlihy wrote:
> In article <7dntcid8lum199om03t6jn955bevmrhjua@4ax.com>, Peter Jason wrote...
>>
>> I have MSoft 11 pro
>>
>> I migrated to MS365 a while ago, while keeping my email server with
>> another provider (iiNet).
>>
>> However iiNet shut down, and I had to transfer all emails and history
>> over to Outlook365.
>>
>> Now I am getting two charges, monthly, to my credit card, presumably
>> for MS365 & Outlook(Office)365....
>> https://postimg.cc/mzg7wvK2
>>
>> Going to Settings/Apps I see there is MS365 and MSOfficeOutlook365
>> installed, and so I am being charged for both.....
>> https://postimg.cc/N5q5fhb9
>>
>> I ask:
>>
>> 1 / Can I safely delete (from Settings/Apps) the latter (Outlook365)
>> and still keep the MS365, and will all the Outlook email and history
>> be preserved?
>>
>> 2/ Would this deletion be reversible if things go wrong.
>> Would a complete system backup reverse the operation if necessary?
>>
>> 3/ Will MSoft automatically stop charging the monthly fee for the
>> Outlook365?
>>
>> 4/ Is there anything else I should consider. Please help, P
>
> Microsoft are simply *awful* over naming things (and renaming things) in the
> most confusing possible way. 'Outlook' can mean an application program, or a
> service, and one can be used with the other. 'Office 365' became 'Microsoft
> 365' with no discernible increase in anyone's understanding to offset the
> inevitable confusion. You are not alone.
>
> I don't *think* there is any such thing as Outlook 365. I'm guessing you have
> two subscriptions to what is now called 'Microsoft 365'. I think it very
> unlikely that MS would notice that you've uninstalled something and stop
> charging you for it. I think you'll need to contact MS somehow (never easy,
> though it might be easier if money is involved).
>
> As for your emails, if they are on the server (presumably now a Microsoft
> server) and synchronised by Imap or via MS's proprietory protocol (which I know
> little about) then you have two copies.
>
> It's not easy, but I think you need to spend some time figuring out exactly
> what you've got, and which one is providing your email mailbox, then talk to
> MS. Good luck!

I'm no better off knowledge wise. I just got a new laptop that came with a trial of 'microsoft 365'. How many days I'm
not sure, but after a few weeks we bought the Office 2021 one time purchase and cancelled the 365. How? Neither my
wife or I remember. As little as we know, it seems like there were directions somewhere/somehow to go through stops on
line and unsubscribe. She had 2007 and wasn't sure the quantum leap from 2007 to 2021 would be tolerable. It was.

The program is still on her machine, but she uses the 2021 program. We'll have to remember to uninstall 365 one day.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Duplicated MSoft365

<uaok8i$2d5q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2566&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2566

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 13:11:46 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:11 UTC

On 8/5/2023 7:54 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> I have MSoft 11 pro
>
> I migrated to MS365 a while ago, while keeping my email server with
> another provider (iiNet).
>
> However iiNet shut down, and I had to transfer all emails and history
> over to Outlook365.
>
> Now I am getting two charges, monthly, to my credit card, presumably
> for MS365 & Outlook(Office)365....
> https://postimg.cc/mzg7wvK2
>
> Going to Settings/Apps I see there is MS365 and MSOfficeOutlook365
> installed, and so I am being charged for both.....
> https://postimg.cc/N5q5fhb9
>
> I ask:
>
> 1 / Can I safely delete (from Settings/Apps) the latter (Outlook365)
> and still keep the MS365, and will all the Outlook email and history
> be preserved?
>
> 2/ Would this deletion be reversible if things go wrong.
> Would a complete system backup reverse the operation if necessary?
>
> 3/ Will MSoft automatically stop charging the monthly fee for the
> Outlook365?
>
> 4/ Is there anything else I should consider. Please help, P

I don't have anything of value installed in mine,
so can't test any of the ideas here.

Paul

Re: Duplicated MSoft365

<uap424$2g3i2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2568&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2568

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 17:41:22 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 21:41 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> I have MSoft 11 pro
>
> I migrated to MS365 a while ago, while keeping my email server with
> another provider (iiNet).
>
> However iiNet shut down, and I had to transfer all emails and history
> over to Outlook365.
>
> Now I am getting two charges, monthly, to my credit card, presumably
> for MS365 & Outlook(Office)365....
> https://postimg.cc/mzg7wvK2
>
> Going to Settings/Apps I see there is MS365 and MSOfficeOutlook365
> installed, and so I am being charged for both.....
> https://postimg.cc/N5q5fhb9
>
> I ask:
>
> 1 / Can I safely delete (from Settings/Apps) the latter (Outlook365)
> and still keep the MS365, and will all the Outlook email and history
> be preserved?
>
> 2/ Would this deletion be reversible if things go wrong.
> Would a complete system backup reverse the operation if necessary?
>
> 3/ Will MSoft automatically stop charging the monthly fee for the
> Outlook365?
>
> 4/ Is there anything else I should consider. Please help, P

Are each subscription for the exact same MSA?
Are both in use in the same exact MSA Windows logon user profile?

Two different subscriptions.
You are getting charged(based on your submitted info) for for Microsoft
365 Business Apps,and Microsoft 365 Office(not Outlook/Office 365)

Microsoft 365 Apps for Business is $8/mo, Microsft 365 Business Basic is
$6/mo
- check your subscription in your online MSA account to determine
which one you purchased.
Microsoft 365 Office has two subscriptions - Microsoft 365
Personal(~$7/mo) and Microsoft Family(~$10/mo)
- Note - some offers via 3rd party retailers or via options in an OEM
installed Windows offer pricing at a discount)
- as noted above, check you online MSA account to determine which one
you purchased.

1.
No
Subcriptions require cancellation to prevent charging.
Cancellation is best done at the end of a billing cycle and prior to
the next billing date - typically a 3-7 days for a cancel to stop billing
2.
No, see #1
3.
No, see #1

Those 1st two question, ask(above) are important in the direction to
proceed.

Cancelling a subscription deactivates the product initially to a
temporary use mode(access older created documents).

--