From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.os.linux,alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Open source Android question
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:06:16 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:06 UTC

John Dallman <jgd@cix.co.uk> wrote

>> There would not be a Linux tablet out there yet?
>
> There are some, but before you buy one, you should try to get your
> requirements clear. The Android ecosystem means there are apps for most
> needs, but Linux tablets don't have nearly so much software available.
>
> <https://itsfoss.com/linux-tablets/>
>
> <https://itslinuxfoss.com/best-linux-tablets/>

How about Andronix which allows you to run dual Linux & Android unrooted.
*Most Linux distros are available on Android without needing root*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/VVSNhPD4bwo/>

It would be nice to know how these "real" Linux distros inside Termux
compare to plain old Termux in terms of getting things done in Android.
<http://andronix.app/>

Regarding "AndroiNix - Linux running inside of Android without root"...
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=studio.com.techriz.andronix>

I installed AndroNix where my initial five-minute experience so far was...
1. You download the app & when you run it, it asks a few basic questions.
2. I chose not to add a GUI (I opted only for the command line interface).
3. And then, you're on the {Debian,Fedora,Ubuntu,etc.} CLI inside Termux.
<https://docs.andronix.app/unmodded-distros/unmodded-os-installation/>

After rebooting, your choices then become:
a. On your Android phone, you can still start Termux (and stay in Termux)
b. Or, start Termux & then start _any_ Linux distro (e.g., Ubuntu 20.04)
c. Type "exit" to return you to Termux (type it again to exit Termux)
<https://dev.to/imprakharshukla/installing-linux-on-your-android-device-25cf>

Note the Linux distro is installed inside Termux using these commands
$ pkg update -y && pkg install wget curl proot tar -y && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AndronixOrigin/master/Installer/Ubuntu20/ubuntu20.sh
-O ubuntu20.sh && chmod +x ubuntu20.sh && bash ubuntu20.sh

Which will result in the instruction at the end of that activity.
"You can now launch Ubuntu with the ./start-ubuntu20.sh script form next time"

This will show all the src back-end scripts that AndroNix uses.
<https://github.com/AndronixApp/AndronixOrigin>

Then, whenever you are in Termux, you can go to Ubuntu using
$ ./start-ubuntu20.sh

Which puts into the Ubuntu 20.04 CLI (or whatever distro you chose).
root@localhost:~# _____

It's clear you can install a bunch of "real" Linux distros
where to start any of them you use their particular start command.

If you want to start the Linux GUI, you need a few more steps.
<https://www.fosslicious.com/2019/10/install-and-run-ubuntu-on-termux.html>

All necessary software is available on the Google Play Store.
<https://androidarcitect.com/2020/09/15/andronix-get-linux-on-android/>

It would be nice to know how these "real" Linux distros
compare to Termux in terms of getting things done in Android.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.