From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Apple's charisma
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:09:49 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:09 UTC

It's lost it. It's become just a corporate giant, as IBM was when Apple
launched their "let's be different" campaign way back.
And the products show it; they're no longer driven by Steve Jobs' almost
manic charisma. God bless him, wherever he is.
Updates are badly tested, frequent bug-fixes issued, competitors have
overtaken them, Apple Corp is full of bums-on-chairs.

When Steve Jobs was CEO you bought into sitting in a restaurant with
him, discussing Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions,
or Zen Buddhism and the difference between intuition and intellect. But
not now. You buy a gadget now.

I want that old mixture back; scientific progress and culture. But I
doubt it'll come readily. Such driven personalities with sufficient
balls to bring it about, are few and far between.
Do we want them to keep on coming? Yes, we do. They push the world
forward; give us the notion of progress.

Ed

Re: Apple's charisma

<udvnhd$2oip2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2643&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2643

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Apple's charisma
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:39:25 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 19:39 UTC

On 9/14/23 13:09, Ed Cryer wrote:
> It's lost it. It's become just a corporate giant, as IBM was when Apple
> launched their "let's be different" campaign way back.

So you're saying they became what they swore to destroy?

> I want that old mixture back; scientific progress and culture. But I
> doubt it'll come readily. Such driven personalities with sufficient
> balls to bring it about, are few and far between.
> Do we want them to keep on coming? Yes, we do. They push the world
> forward; give us the notion of progress.

Don't they usually get suppressed by big companies for the bottom line?

Re: Apple's charisma

<udvrsh$2ph73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2644&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2644

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:53:03 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 20:53 UTC

candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/14/23 13:09, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> It's lost it. It's become just a corporate giant, as IBM was when
>> Apple launched their "let's be different" campaign way back.
>
> So you're saying they became what they swore to destroy?

Yes. But IBM never had a Steve Jobs.
They never had someone trying to bring beauty into tech; someone with a
higher vision than science; someone who kept going time and again to
Japan in search of the meaning of life; someone looking beyond profit
and comfort.

Ed

Re: Apple's charisma

<udvvqr$2q4rr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2645&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2645

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 17:00:59 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:00 UTC

On 9/14/23 15:53, Ed Cryer wrote:
> candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 9/14/23 13:09, Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> It's lost it. It's become just a corporate giant, as IBM was when
>>> Apple launched their "let's be different" campaign way back.
>>
>> So you're saying they became what they swore to destroy?
>>

> Yes. But IBM never had a Steve Jobs.
> They never had someone trying to bring beauty into tech; someone with a
> higher vision than science; someone who kept going time and again to
> Japan in search of the meaning of life; someone looking beyond profit
> and comfort.
>
> Ed

So a fall from grace..

Re: Apple's charisma

<ue147h$35euh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2649&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2649

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:22:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:22 UTC

On 14 Sep 2023 at 19:09:49 BST, "Ed Cryer" <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> It's lost it. It's become just a corporate giant, as IBM was when Apple
> launched their "let's be different" campaign way back.
> And the products show it; they're no longer driven by Steve Jobs' almost
> manic charisma. God bless him, wherever he is.
> Updates are badly tested, frequent bug-fixes issued, competitors have
> overtaken them, Apple Corp is full of bums-on-chairs.
>
> When Steve Jobs was CEO you bought into sitting in a restaurant with
> him, discussing Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions,
> or Zen Buddhism and the difference between intuition and intellect. But
> not now. You buy a gadget now.
>
> I want that old mixture back; scientific progress and culture. But I
> doubt it'll come readily. Such driven personalities with sufficient
> balls to bring it about, are few and far between.
> Do we want them to keep on coming? Yes, we do. They push the world
> forward; give us the notion of progress.
>
> Ed

Did you ever read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell?

Let's see what happens to Arc!

John.
--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks.

Re: Apple's charisma

<ue1ncj$38q09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2650&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2650

From: News@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:49:07 -0400
 by: News - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:49 UTC

On 9/14/2023 4:53 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 9/14/23 13:09, Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> It's lost it. It's become just a corporate giant, as IBM was when
>>> Apple launched their "let's be different" campaign way back.
>>
>> So you're saying they became what they swore to destroy?
>>

> Yes. But IBM never had a Steve Jobs.
> They never had someone trying to bring beauty into tech; someone with a
> higher vision than science; someone who kept going time and again to
> Japan in search of the meaning of life; someone looking beyond profit
> and comfort.
>
> Ed

IBM had alarming FUD. Apple had shiny FUD.

Re: Apple's charisma

<ue27h9$3c1t1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2651&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2651

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 19:24:26 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:24 UTC

candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/14/23 15:53, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> candycanearter07 wrote:
>>>
>>> So you're saying they became what they swore to destroy?
>>>

>> Yes. But IBM never had a Steve Jobs.
>> They never had someone trying to bring beauty into tech; someone with
>> a higher vision than science; someone who kept going time and again to
>> Japan in search of the meaning of life; someone looking beyond profit
>> and comfort.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> So a fall from grace..

Have you studied history?
Political history? Social history? History written by the winners?
History written by the losers? History written by academics?
Well, I was taught political history. And it's full of charismatic
leaders. Alexander of Macedon; Julius Caesar; Napoleon Bonaparte;
Winston Churchill. They were inspirational, highly motivated, and people
thronged to them in masses. They followed them like sheep, but they
weren't sheep, they just recognised a winning genius.
Larger than life characters, from one angle almost saints, from another
devils.

History will tell us about the great pioneers of the rise of IT. It will
include Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, and foremost Steve Jobs.

Ed