From: Jimmy@disposable.invalid (Jimmy Johnson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: PCLOS live boot gfx problem
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 23:59:46 -0700
 by: Jimmy Johnson - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 06:59 UTC

On 03/05/2023 01:48 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> I found a new strategy for trying this problem, but I've run into a
>> 'gamma' problem:
>>
>> I'm trying to do it w/ xrandr:
>
> I fixed it; I backed up to a much simpler solution.
>
> Arriving at the desktop in the awkward 800x600, I opened a terminal, and
> in live pclos you don't sudo you just su and your terminal becomes #,
> then I
>
> modprobe radeon
>
> and the screen went black and when it came back, everything was ok; the
> radeon driver and the correct res were in inxi -G

Hi Mike, I'm happy you got your radeon going, this one is also radeon, I
used "arandr" to set it up, it's a gui app that's nice and easy to work
with, I guess you already know the driver is in the kernel. my problem
child is the nvidia that's in my main desktop computer, what a pain and
every distro has its own install.
--
Jimmy Johnson

PCLOS64 - i7-2820QM - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263

Re: PCLOS live boot gfx problem

<k95993Fh4tvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2719&group=alt.os.linux#2719

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 14:52:51 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 12:52 UTC

On 4/5/23 08:59, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

> my problem
> child is the nvidia that's in my main desktop computer, what a pain and
> every distro has its own install.

My last four distros I think nvidia has worked quite well, driver been a
part of the official packages, two of them just needed a command to
switch from xorg opengl to nvidias.
Sure I have used a bit "odd" distros based on Gentoo and Arch.

Of course you can always do the microsoft way and download the installer
directly from nVidia, but that will cause you a lot more work.

--
//Aho

Re: PCLOS live boot gfx problem

<u0khhf$f63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2722&group=alt.os.linux#2722

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 15:18:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 19:18 UTC

On 4/5/2023 8:52 AM, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 4/5/23 08:59, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> my problem child is the nvidia that's in my main desktop computer, what a pain and every distro has its own install.
>
> My last four distros I think nvidia has worked quite well, driver been a part of the official packages, two of them just needed a command to switch from xorg opengl to nvidias.
> Sure I have used a bit "odd" distros based on Gentoo and Arch.
>
> Of course you can always do the microsoft way and download the installer directly from nVidia, but that will cause you a lot more work.

That's not the Microsoft way any more.

When you install one of the latest OSes, the NVidia driver is automatically
downloaded from catalog.update.microsoft.com .

How the drivers differ, is in things like gaming support. If you do get the
rather-large driver directly from NVidia, that includes privacy stealing features
(Nvidia has some task entries in Scheduled Tasks, that spy on you. AMD also
has some guff like this too on their private download. It's still possible,
by ticking the right boxes, to safely download drivers directly from
NVidia/AMD if you want. Just be careful.)

The base driver staged on the microsoft site, is just a driver, without
the shenanigans. If you're a lazy person, you're getting a base driver that
makes your screen work for you. And also has OpenGL for things like Firefox, if
needed. I see Vulkan support in there. And so on.

What is neat about Windows now, is you sit back... and over a period of time
(several reboots), the Device Manager is completely populated for you. Since this
machine does not have a TV tuner, the job was done completely by Windows. if your
Internet is faster than mine, the job might finish faster.

[Picture] No drivers were installed by the author... Zero.

https://i.postimg.cc/wTgWL2gX/device-manager-amd-system.gif

An exception is a Hauppauge TV tuner card, where Hauppauge keeps the driver
to themselves. And that, unfortunately, has to be installed the old way.
On the Linux side, the fw file for the card is not in the official firmware
directory, so in that respect there is some equivalence between the two OSes.
(Card won't work in Linux either, unless you do the work.)
Both are deprived of a working Hauppauge. It's easy to fix,
in both cases. For the Linux fw, a private web site run by an end user, has
your firmware file for you. Because of the origin of the file, the licensing
prevents it from being officially loaded in your Repository.
Hauppauge does not give a fuck, about either OS.

*******

Another feature of the OS, is you can unplug the boot drive from your
AMD system, and plug it into your Intel system. And boot. Boot a Windows
moved from another computer! It sucks in drivers. And... so on.

While you've been asleep, Windows has copied *all* the best
features of your Linux.

Does Windows have bad habits ? Yes. Of course it does. Like
smashing my copy of Internet Explorer on my Windows 7 recently,
via a remote attack (some kind of exploit staged via msn.com).
They're as evil, as the day is long. When the sun goes down,
the evil does not stop. I wasn't trying to use Internet Explorer,
I was looking for the security slider it uses.

Paul