From: sam@email-scan.com (Sam)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Ann: vera -- an alternative cgroups2-based init
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:13:26 -0500
 by: Sam - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:13 UTC

I've been tinkering with this for some time. It's now at a functional state
that, I suppose, others might find useful.

vera is an alternative /sbin/init that uses kernel containers (cgroups2). On
a stock Slackware 15 installation: vera boots, switches runlevels, and shuts
things down normally. That's about it.

With Slackware 15's monolithic initscripts a majority of stuff gets started
in the same rc.M container; but any stuff in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d gets its own
container. Containers allow for a reliable way to stop processes, and, in
fact, vera exposes a benign, latent bug in Slackware 15's initscripts that
doesn't shut down NetworkManager correctly.

More information: https://github.com/svarshavchik/vera/