There are bugs and then there are bugs. And then there are bugs. -- Karl Lehenbauer

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Laptop touchpad not working

SubjectAuthor
* Laptop touchpad not workingEd Cryer
+- Re: Laptop touchpad not workingGraham J
+* Re: Laptop touchpad not workingVanguardLH
|`* Re: Laptop touchpad not workingEd Cryer
| `- Re: Laptop touchpad not working...winston
+- Re: Laptop touchpad not workingKenW
+* Re: Laptop touchpad not workingPaul
|`* Re: Laptop touchpad not workingEd Cryer
| +- Re: Laptop touchpad not working...winston
| `* Re: Laptop touchpad not workingEd Cryer
|  `- Re: Laptop touchpad not working...winston
`- Re: Laptop touchpad not working...winston

1
Laptop touchpad not working

<udhr3m$2vjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2784&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2784

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Laptop touchpad not working
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:13:57 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:13 UTC

I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
can't get the touchpad to respond.
I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.

It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.

It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.

Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
to the store.

Ed

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udht0r$398o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2785&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2785

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Laptop touchpad not working
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:47:01 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:47 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
> can't get the touchpad to respond.
> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>
> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>
> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>
> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
> to the store.

Take it back to the store first. That way they can't accuse you of
breaking anything.

--
Graham J

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<1cxkq7rjkiyo7$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2786&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2786

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 09:11:23 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:11 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
> can't get the touchpad to respond.
> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>
> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>
> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>
> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
> to the store.

Is there an enable/disable button for the touchpad? For example, but
for a different model, there is a button to toggle the touchpad on/off
as shown at:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029997/uploads/migration/10021iB8DCC6979DA6A528.png

On some laptops, it's a Fn+key combo. One of the top-row numeric keys
has an Fn mode that toggles the touchpad on or off.

RTFM maybe?
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=636797508759808741
That mentions a touchpad toggle.

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<834pfiti5pig8c6d6oo043ktfqeuqoroot@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2787&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2787

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 09:36:22 -0600
 by: KenW - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:36 UTC

On Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:13:57 +0100, Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk>
wrote:

>I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
>can't get the touchpad to respond.
>I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>
>It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>
>It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
>attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>
>Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
>to the store.
>
>Ed

In one laptop I had the driver description had no reference to the
touch pad.

For reference

KenW

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udi84s$57s5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2789&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2789

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 12:56:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:56 UTC

On 9/9/2023 9:13 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I can't get the touchpad to respond.
> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>
> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>
> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>
> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back to the store.
>
> Ed

There is a BIOS setting.
Not likely to help, but check it anyway.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582918/aspire-5-a515-54g-new-aspire-5-touchpad-not-working

Paul

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udi9eo$5e04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2792&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2792

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:18:55 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 17:18 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
>> can't get the touchpad to respond.
>> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>>
>> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>>
>> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
>> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>>
>> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
>> to the store.
>
> Is there an enable/disable button for the touchpad? For example, but
> for a different model, there is a button to toggle the touchpad on/off
> as shown at:
>
> https://us.v-cdn.net/6029997/uploads/migration/10021iB8DCC6979DA6A528.png
>
> On some laptops, it's a Fn+key combo. One of the top-row numeric keys
> has an Fn mode that toggles the touchpad on or off.
>
> RTFM maybe?
> https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=636797508759808741
> That mentions a touchpad toggle.

Bravo, man, you got it.

I'd seen that reference in the user manual, but I assumed it was Fn+F6.
Windows was showing touchpad as on, no problems; and there are no
drivers required for it.
And the touchpad is fairly good now that it's on.

Ed

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udiakl$5j19$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2794&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2794

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:39:32 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 17:39 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
> can't get the touchpad to respond.
> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>
> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>
> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>
> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
> to the store.
>
> Ed

Acer Aspire 5 normally have UEFI/BIOS setting for the touchpad with two
options Basic and Advanced.
The Advanced setting requires the installation of the I2C HID driver.

If the UEFI setting is set to 'Advanced' on can try(In Windows)

Device Manager
- uninstall the Touchpad driver, the reinstall the driver
- reinstalling the Serial IO I2C Host Controllers(both of them if present)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udicci$5rhc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2796&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2796

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 14:09:20 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:09 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> VanguardLH wrote:
>> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I
>>> can't get the touchpad to respond.
>>> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>>>
>>> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>>>
>>> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
>>> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>>>
>>> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back
>>> to the store.
>>
>> Is there an enable/disable button for the touchpad?  For example, but
>> for a different model, there is a button to toggle the touchpad on/off
>> as shown at:
>>
>> https://us.v-cdn.net/6029997/uploads/migration/10021iB8DCC6979DA6A528.png
>>
>> On some laptops, it's a Fn+key combo.  One of the top-row numeric keys
>> has an Fn mode that toggles the touchpad on or off.
>>
>> RTFM maybe?
>> https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual/User%20Manual_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=636797508759808741
>>
>> That mentions a touchpad toggle.
>
> Bravo, man, you got it.
>
> I'd seen that reference in the user manual, but I assumed it was Fn+F6.
> Windows was showing touchpad as on, no problems; and there are no
> drivers required for it.
> And the touchpad is fairly good now that it's on.
>
> Ed

:)
While the Touchpad line item in Device Manager shows no drivers
required, the default setting for the Aspire Touchpad in the UEFI is set
to Advanced - it needs and uses the HID I2C driver.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udidog$623v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2797&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2797

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 19:31:49 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:31 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 9/9/2023 9:13 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but I can't get the touchpad to respond.
>> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>>
>> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>>
>> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>>
>> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it back to the store.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> There is a BIOS setting.
> Not likely to help, but check it anyway.
>
> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582918/aspire-5-a515-54g-new-aspire-5-touchpad-not-working
>
> Paul

I was about to to scour the BIOS when I read VanguardHL's post. He got
it on the head. There's a little button on the top row of the keyboard
that toggles the touchpad on and off.
Yes, I know it's arcane and unannounced and only available to those who
reach out beyond the norms, but he gave it to me.

There's something highly amiss here. I'm no thick-head, but I needed
guiding to the solution.
Now, I think that a simple system test of the new product and how
Joe-Soap will get it should have opened up that breach.
So, why didn't it?

Ed

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udj05c$8idi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2798&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2798

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 19:46:52 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:46 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> On 9/9/2023 9:13 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but
>>> I can't get the touchpad to respond.
>>> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>>>
>>> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>>>
>>> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
>>> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>>>
>>> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it
>>> back to the store.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> There is a BIOS setting.
>> Not likely to help, but check it anyway.
>>
>> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582918/aspire-5-a515-54g-new-aspire-5-touchpad-not-working
>>

>>     Paul
>
> I was about to to scour the BIOS when I read VanguardHL's post. He got
> it on the head. There's a little button on the top row of the keyboard
> that toggles the touchpad on and off.
> Yes, I know it's arcane and unannounced and only available to those who
> reach out beyond the norms, but he gave it to me.
>
> There's something highly amiss here. I'm no thick-head, but I needed
> guiding to the solution.
> Now, I think that a simple system test of the new product and how
> Joe-Soap will get it should have opened up that breach.
> So, why didn't it?
>
> Ed
Touchpad(toggle) info is usually in the included Acer Manual(pdf file)?
- on this Acer Aspire manual, under HotKeys

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udk787$huks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2806&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2806

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:53:27 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:53 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> On 9/9/2023 9:13 AM, Ed Cryer wrote:
>>> I've just got a new Acer Aspire 5 laptop. Works fine with mouse, but
>>> I can't get the touchpad to respond.
>>> I'm rather a stranger with touchpads; never delved into them.
>>>
>>> It has a little patch top left corner; presumably finger recognition.
>>>
>>> It is switched on in Settings, ticked keep switched on with mouse
>>> attached; all ok in Device Manager, events just fine.
>>>
>>> Has anybody encountered this? I'll try everything before taking it
>>> back to the store.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> There is a BIOS setting.
>> Not likely to help, but check it anyway.
>>
>> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582918/aspire-5-a515-54g-new-aspire-5-touchpad-not-working
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I was about to to scour the BIOS when I read VanguardHL's post. He got
> it on the head. There's a little button on the top row of the keyboard
> that toggles the touchpad on and off.
> Yes, I know it's arcane and unannounced and only available to those who
> reach out beyond the norms, but he gave it to me.
>
> There's something highly amiss here. I'm no thick-head, but I needed
> guiding to the solution.
> Now, I think that a simple system test of the new product and how
> Joe-Soap will get it should have opened up that breach.
> So, why didn't it?
>
> Ed
So, why was it was toggled off?
The box had been opened by Argos, and was sealed with a "Checked by
Argos" sticky label.
1. Did I accidentally turn it off?
2. Did somebody else turn it off? Accidentally or mischievously?
3. Is it off by default?
Oh, and a big question; did the laptop go straight into Setup when
switched on? Yes. And everything else looks pristine and untouched.
Ed

Re: Laptop touchpad not working

<udkn0h$k8h4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2810&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2810

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:22:55 -0400
 by: ...winston - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 15:22 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> There is a BIOS setting.
>>> Not likely to help, but check it anyway.
>>>
>>> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582918/aspire-5-a515-54g-new-aspire-5-touchpad-not-working
>>>

>>>     Paul
>>
>> I was about to to scour the BIOS when I read VanguardHL's post. He got
>> it on the head. There's a little button on the top row of the keyboard
>> that toggles the touchpad on and off.
>> Yes, I know it's arcane and unannounced and only available to those
>> who reach out beyond the norms, but he gave it to me.
>>
>> There's something highly amiss here. I'm no thick-head, but I needed
>> guiding to the solution.
>> Now, I think that a simple system test of the new product and how
>> Joe-Soap will get it should have opened up that breach.
>> So, why didn't it?
>>
>> Ed
>
> So, why was it was toggled off?
> The box had been opened by Argos, and was sealed with a "Checked by
> Argos" sticky label.
> 1. Did I accidentally turn it off?
> 2. Did somebody else turn it off? Accidentally or mischievously?
> 3. Is it off by default?
>
> Oh, and a big question; did the laptop go straight into Setup when
> switched on? Yes. And everything else looks pristine and untouched.
>
> Ed

The default for this Acer Aspire 5(after testing and restoring to
factory[yesterday] and also a Macrium and Acronis restore to current
Win11 22H2)
UEFI BIOS - Touchpad/Advanced instead of Basic (OOBE as shipped)
Touchpad in Windows without mouse connection - Active
Touchpad in Windows with mouse - Active
Fn key toggle works to turn off and back on in all scenarios.

Answers to the Q's
1. Possibly
2. Unlikely, unless someone had access
3. Afiak, No.