There are never any bugs you haven't found yet.

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

SubjectAuthor
* The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?bad sector
+- The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?Carlos E.R.
`* The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?Paul
 `* The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?bad sector
  `* The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?J.O. Aho
   +- The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?Carlos E.R.
   +- The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?Joerg Lorenz
   `- The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?bad sector

1
Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<QRmdnX6rKenFFqn5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2856&group=alt.os.linux#2856

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 18:19:03 -0400
Subject: Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 22:19 UTC

On 9/11/22 18:30, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-09-11 17:27, bad sector wrote:

>> that's very kind of you  ...if you can remeber uuids :-)))
>
> I never have to. I just copy paste, and do not do manual booting.
>
> As others commented, I have one installation that is the master and owns
> the MBR. I have grub2 adjusted to present me a boot menu to boot the
> others, which are configured to put grub in their own partitions and
> never touch the MBR.
>
> Or did. Now I use GPT and UEFI.

I'm a little late with this but I just notice that my Asus Crosshair-IV
board does NOT support UEFI, apparently I'd need to upgrage to a
Crosshair-V for that. Even then, I don't know if the BIOS setting caters
to it on an either MBR or UEFI or an MBR-and-UEFI basis.

Came up against this just now trying to install w7-64bit to a 4tb gpt
disk. It said 'no-can-do' even though it was the 64-bit version that I
wanted to install which is supposed to be able handle GPT. It is, but
the error I think refers NOT the disk being GPT but to the fact that
while the GPT disk does have a UEFI partition the mobo don't know what
to do with it.

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<4rjegjxvm8.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2857&group=alt.os.linux#2857

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:48:20 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:48 UTC

On 2023-04-11 00:19, bad sector wrote:
> On 9/11/22 18:30, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-09-11 17:27, bad sector wrote:
>
>>> that's very kind of you  ...if you can remeber uuids :-)))
>>
>> I never have to. I just copy paste, and do not do manual booting.
>>
>> As others commented, I have one installation that is the master and
>> owns the MBR. I have grub2 adjusted to present me a boot menu to boot
>> the others, which are configured to put grub in their own partitions
>> and never touch the MBR.
>>
>> Or did. Now I use GPT and UEFI.
>
> I'm a little late with this but I just notice that my Asus Crosshair-IV
> board does NOT support UEFI, apparently I'd need to upgrage to a
> Crosshair-V for that. Even then, I don't know if the BIOS setting caters
> to it on an either MBR or UEFI or an MBR-and-UEFI basis.
>
> Came up against this just now trying to install w7-64bit to a 4tb gpt
> disk. It said 'no-can-do' even though it was the 64-bit version that I
> wanted to install which is supposed to be able handle GPT. It is, but
> the error I think refers NOT the disk being GPT but to the fact that
> while the GPT disk does have a UEFI partition the mobo don't know what
> to do with it.

Windows can not boot from a BIOS board with a GPT disk. Linux can.

You can downgrade the disk to 2 TB, and partition is as MBR. Then
Windows will be happy.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<u135mk$2ij92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2870&group=alt.os.linux#2870

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 04:28:02 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 08:28 UTC

On 4/10/2023 6:19 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 9/11/22 18:30, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2022-09-11 17:27, bad sector wrote:
>
>>> that's very kind of you  ...if you can remeber uuids :-)))
>>
>> I never have to. I just copy paste, and do not do manual booting.
>>
>> As others commented, I have one installation that is the master and owns the MBR. I have grub2 adjusted to present me a boot menu to boot the others, which are configured to put grub in their own partitions and never touch the MBR.
>>
>> Or did. Now I use GPT and UEFI.
>
> I'm a little late with this but I just notice that my Asus Crosshair-IV board does NOT support UEFI, apparently I'd need to upgrage to a Crosshair-V for that. Even then, I don't know if the BIOS setting caters to it on an either MBR or UEFI or an MBR-and-UEFI basis.
>
> Came up against this just now trying to install w7-64bit to a 4tb gpt disk. It said 'no-can-do' even though it was the 64-bit version that I wanted to install which is supposed to be able handle GPT. It is, but the error I think refers NOT the disk being GPT but to the fact that while the GPT disk does have a UEFI partition the mobo don't know what to do with it.

On mine, when the BIOS is set for UEFI/CSM (both new and legacy options),
you have to set the thing to "Other OS", which is the setting for Linux.
Linux and Windows 7 are in the same camp, when it comes to UEFI.

If I tried to Secure Boot, I don't think the WIn7 on my DVD supports that.
There is a claim there is an option for Windows 7 to do that, but the
article did not give the KB number of the package you needed to make
that happen.

It's possible a single BIOS setting, could fix that (allow process to go forward).

*******

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/B63btmWP/win7-x64-gpt-install.gif

Paul

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<i3qdnV0gV7r4Q6r5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2895&group=alt.os.linux#2895

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 06:50:13 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:50 UTC

On 4/11/23 04:28, Paul wrote:
> On 4/10/2023 6:19 PM, bad sector wrote:

>>> I never have to. I just copy paste, and do not do manual booting.
>>>
>>> As others commented, I have one installation that is the master and
>>> owns the MBR. I have grub2 adjusted to present me a boot menu to boot
>>> the others, which are configured to put grub in their own partitions
>>> and never touch the MBR.
>>>
>>> Or did. Now I use GPT and UEFI.
>>
>> I'm a little late with this but I just notice that my Asus
>> Crosshair-IV board does NOT support UEFI, apparently I'd need to
>> upgrage to a Crosshair-V for that. Even then, I don't know if the BIOS
>> setting caters to it on an either MBR or UEFI or an MBR-and-UEFI basis.
>>
>> Came up against this just now trying to install w7-64bit to a 4tb gpt
>> disk. It said 'no-can-do' even though it was the 64-bit version that I
>> wanted to install which is supposed to be able handle GPT. It is, but
>> the error I think refers NOT the disk being GPT but to the fact that
>> while the GPT disk does have a UEFI partition the mobo don't know what
>> to do with it.
>>

> On mine, when the BIOS is set for UEFI/CSM (both new and legacy options),
> you have to set the thing to "Other OS", which is the setting for Linux.
> Linux and Windows 7 are in the same camp, when it comes to UEFI.
>
> If I tried to Secure Boot, I don't think the WIn7 on my DVD supports that.
> There is a claim there is an option for Windows 7 to do that, but the
> article did not give the KB number of the package you needed to make
> that happen.
>
> It's possible a single BIOS setting, could fix that (allow process to go
> forward).
>
> *******
>
>    [Picture]
>
>     https://i.postimg.cc/B63btmWP/win7-x64-gpt-install.gif
>
>   Paul

Windows-7 is my last windows (have the whole series
since 4.x) so I have to stay within its constraints.
My mobo is also limiting but it's on death-row anyway.
I have one 4tb disk and some 2tb's and one 1tb ssd.
The mandatory UEFI issue isn't one except for disks
that get booted so I'm good until my bootable disk
will HAVE to be over 2tb. That probably means a very
long time (I could probably operate 100 OS'es on a 2tb
booter with everything else on huge data-disks.

I'm not planning to buy w10/11 but if I saw a bulletproof
way to run the bundleware in my other thread with it in
vBox/gBoxes then it would not necessarily be a obstacle.
It was never a price issue but one of attitude and not
just on microcancer's behalf but all the hardware makers
who fall for their predatory strangleware scam.

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<k9q7ikFpul3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2896&group=alt.os.linux#2896

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 13:32:36 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:32 UTC

On 4/13/23 12:50, bad sector wrote:

> Windows-7 is my last windows (have the whole series
> since 4.x) so I have to stay within its constraints.

I hope you ain't using that one online, we don't care if you get hacked,
it's more about us others who don't want to see DDoS attacks and so on.

--
//Aho

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<uk6lgjxgdd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2897&group=alt.os.linux#2897

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 13:46:06 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:46 UTC

On 2023-04-13 13:32, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 4/13/23 12:50, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Windows-7 is my last windows (have the whole series
>> since 4.x) so I have to stay within its constraints.
>
> I hope you ain't using that one online, we don't care if you get hacked,
> it's more about us others who don't want to see DDoS attacks and so on.

+1

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<u1937l$38s2g$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2898&group=alt.os.linux#2898

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 16:22:48 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 14:22 UTC

Am 13.04.23 um 13:32 schrieb J.O. Aho:
> On 4/13/23 12:50, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Windows-7 is my last windows (have the whole series
>> since 4.x) so I have to stay within its constraints.
>
> I hope you ain't using that one online, we don't care if you get hacked,
> it's more about us others who don't want to see DDoS attacks and so on.

I could not agree more! It is really not a surprise to see all these
articles about attacks with all these old and rotten OSes in the
internet. Particularly Windows in all flavors.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: The prob that Grub2 was supposed to SOLVE?

<P-qcnaObAqTwtqX5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2899&group=alt.os.linux#2899

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 12:18:52 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 16:18 UTC

On 4/13/23 07:32, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 4/13/23 12:50, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Windows-7 is my last windows (have the whole series
>> since 4.x) so I have to stay within its constraints.
>
> I hope you ain't using that one online, we don't care if you get hacked,
> it's more about us others who don't want to see DDoS attacks and so on.

I haven't used it for years at all, it wasn't even installed, but the
other day (in all this VM fever) I decided to do a big cleanup and
documentation in my Me80 effects board and for that I installed it,
whenever I work the bundleware it needs to go online at times.