It's hard to think of you as the end result of millions of years of evolution.

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

SubjectAuthor
* Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors aAnt
+* Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butbad sector
|`* Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors aAnt
| `* Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors aAnt
|  `- Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butbad sector
+* Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butTJ
|+- Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors aAnssi Saari
|`* Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butJim Jackson
| `- Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butbad sector
+- Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butPaul
`- Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), butJ.O. Aho

1
Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<4cednZ1D6afX4qn5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2855&group=alt.os.linux#2855

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:27:38 +0000
 by: Ant - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:27 UTC

Hello,

Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.

Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).

I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.

http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.

How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and maybe new week. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<0ZicnTanEbL9PKn5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2858&group=alt.os.linux#2858

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 19:53:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:53 UTC

On 4/10/23 17:27, Ant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
>
> Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
>
> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
>
> http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
>
> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Not sure if I understand but...

# blkid
this will list the uuids accessible at the time, including your swap
identify the swap partition you magde then use THAT uuid in your fstab

UUID=(new uuid here) none swap sw 0 0

some people also add nofail to the swap entry, I can't comment on that

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<u12jsl$2geh7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2862&group=alt.os.linux#2862

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 23:24:04 -0400
 by: TJ - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 03:24 UTC

On 2023-04-10 17:27, Ant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
>
> Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
>
> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
>
> http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
>
> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

You'll need the bigger swap partition if you ever use hibernate or
suspend/resume.

If I were doing that big of a hardware upgrade, I wouldn't dream of
*not* doing a clean install of the system. Naturally, your data -
photos, documents, music, videos, etc. - needs to be backed up first.
That stuff is irreplaceable.

But the system? Not so much. IMO, it takes less time to do a clean
system install, even with installing any extra software and re-doing
your customization, than it does to track down and solve the inevitable
glitches that will crop up after so big a change of hardware if you try
to keep the old system.

But then, I don't use Debian, I use Mageia. And being a member of the
Mageia team that tests install isos before their release to the public,
I've done hundreds of new installs in my time. What's one more to me?

So, YMMV from mine.

TJ

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<X3qdnU6wMYusdqn5nZ2dnZfqnPUAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2863&group=alt.os.linux#2863

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 05:08:01 +0000
 by: Ant - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 05:08 UTC

In comp.os.linux.hardware bad sector <forgetski@invalid.net> wrote:
> On 4/10/23 17:27, Ant wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
> >
> > Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
> >
> > I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> > Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
> >
> > http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
> >
> > How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

> Not sure if I understand but...

> # blkid
> this will list the uuids accessible at the time, including your swap
> identify the swap partition you magde then use THAT uuid in your fstab

> UUID=(new uuid here) none swap sw 0 0

> some people also add nofail to the swap entry, I can't comment on that

Thanks. It worked. I didn't use nofail since my /etc/fstab didn't show it.
--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and new week so far. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<u12rns$2hcup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2864&group=alt.os.linux#2864

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:38:01 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 05:38 UTC

On 4/10/2023 5:27 PM, Ant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
>
> Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
>
> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
>
> http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
>
> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

There's a couple of ways you can do swap.

Swap partition

Swap file "/swapfile"

The presumed advantage of /swapfile, is when multibooting and
an installer overwrites a swap partition (that all the Linux OSes
have been sharing), you don't have issues with the BLKID.

However, I recently ran into Ubuntu, started scanning for BTRFS
and then MDADM, and that (to me at least) is a sign of "swap anxiety".
It is trying to find a swap partition, even though I told it I was
using a /swapfile .

Using RESUME=none and rebuilding initramfs, fixed that for me.
RESUME=none presumably means hibernation would never work, but
I always make my swap 1GB in size (a token swap on a large RAM machine).
It was never going to work anyway.

When using a hard drive, the 1GB swap partition is there, so the
disk drive makes a noise if RAM consumption is going crazy, and
then I have to be pretty damn quick to kill the thing that is
doing it. That's how you decide, based on the timing margin you
want, how big to make a token swap. It's just there to delay
application of OOM.

When you do an install, if you do a Custom, and you don't create
a swap, it's possible a modern distro will use /swapfile . If
you don't do a Custom, and just let the distro mess around with
the disk drive, it'll probably make a swap partition for you.

Paul

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<tuWdnTcxKd_lYKn5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2867&group=alt.os.linux#2867

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 06:26:00 +0000
 by: Ant - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 06:26 UTC

In comp.os.linux.hardware Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware bad sector <forgetski@invalid.net> wrote:
> > On 4/10/23 17:27, Ant wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
> > >
> > > Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
> > >
> > > I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> > > Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
> > >
> > > http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
> > >
> > > How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

> > Not sure if I understand but...

> > # blkid
> > this will list the uuids accessible at the time, including your swap
> > identify the swap partition you magde then use THAT uuid in your fstab

> > UUID=(new uuid here) none swap sw 0 0

> > some people also add nofail to the swap entry, I can't comment on that

> Thanks. It worked. I didn't use nofail since my /etc/fstab didn't show it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/12hwrfo/swapped_my_hardwares_motherboard_cpu_ram_drives/jfsoqmd/
fixed my other startup issues too. Wow, my old Debian now boots up and
shut down so fast! I had to do it a few times to be sure I wasn't
dreaming since I was tired. :D
--
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." --Colossians 2:6. Slammy Easter weekend and new week so far. :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<k9kiejFtgeiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2868&group=alt.os.linux#2868

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:01:22 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 08:01 UTC

On 4/10/23 23:27, Ant wrote:

> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.

sudo fdisk -l | grep swap

this will give you the device, if you want to use UUID, I suggest you do

sudo mkswap `sudo fdisk -l | grep swap | awk '{print $1}'`

use the announced UUID in your fstab. Keep in mind if your swap is
smaller than the amount of memory you have, hibernation may not always work.

--
//Aho

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<sm0cz4akeqg.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2869&group=alt.os.linux#2869

From: as@sci.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:25:11 +0300
sha1:RkvuTW9GhkuUAvvwUnkSptUeVTk=
 by: Anssi Saari - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 08:25 UTC

TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> writes:

> If I were doing that big of a hardware upgrade, I wouldn't dream of
> *not* doing a clean install of the system.

But why? What's the benefit of a clean install? There seem to be these
unfounded claims like what Ant got on Reddit that somehow SSD wear
leveling doesn't work without a reinstall. Crazy.

> But then, I don't use Debian, I use Mageia. And being a member of the
> Mageia team that tests install isos before their release to the
> public, I've done hundreds of new installs in my time. What's one more
> to me?

Seems reasonable.

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<n8WdneY3x6FYr6j5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2872&group=alt.os.linux#2872

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 06:13:25 -0400
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:13 UTC

On 4/11/23 02:26, Ant wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:

>>> Not sure if I understand but...
>
>>> # blkid
>>> this will list the uuids accessible at the time, including your swap
>>> identify the swap partition you magde then use THAT uuid in your fstab
>
>>> UUID=(new uuid here) none swap sw 0 0
>
>>> some people also add nofail to the swap entry, I can't comment on that
>
>> Thanks. It worked. I didn't use nofail since my /etc/fstab didn't show it.

Glad it did

> https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/12hwrfo/swapped_my_hardwares_motherboard_cpu_ram_drives/jfsoqmd/
> fixed my other startup issues too. Wow, my old Debian now boots up and
> shut down so fast! I had to do it a few times to be sure I wasn't
> dreaming since I was tired. :D

Been there, got the T-shirts as well as the Longjohns :-)

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<slrnu3ai79.40i.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2874&group=alt.os.linux#2874

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:47:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:47 UTC

On 2023-04-11, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
> On 2023-04-10 17:27, Ant wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
>>
>> Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
>>
>> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
>> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
>>
>> http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
>>
>> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>
> You'll need the bigger swap partition if you ever use hibernate or
> suspend/resume.
>
> If I were doing that big of a hardware upgrade, I wouldn't dream of
> *not* doing a clean install of the system.

Aaaahhhh... the microsoft mentality wins out even here :-) Just before
Easter I too upgraded my 11 year old hardware. I moved my old
spinning rust to the new hardware, and it just booted.

I did have a little bit more trouble getting the new SSD to boot after
dd'ing across the contents of the old disk - but I never did get my head
around these new fangled uuid's (I had forgot that the dd duplicated the
disk uuid!!!! whoops), and grub2 must one of the most opaque pieces of
software ever! But even that was quicker than a reinstall, and putting
back my custom mail, syslog, nfs etc, etc configs

But of course YMMV.

Re: Swapped my hardwares (motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, etc.), but getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.

<ntucneqDnbF_16j5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2875&group=alt.os.linux#2875

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 07:56:17 -0400
getting errors at startup that stalls the speed.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:56 UTC

On 4/11/23 07:47, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On 2023-04-11, TJ <TJ@noneofyour.business> wrote:
>> On 2023-04-10 17:27, Ant wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Over Easter 2023 weekend, my friend and I replaced my 14 yrs. old Debian PC's mobo, CPU, RAM, drives, etc. for better setups like speeds. However, my May 2022's updated 64-bit Debian v11 (stable -- bullseye) installation has a long start up due to errors on the new hardwares especially in SSD.
>>>
>>> Last night, I Clonezillaed from the very old 320 GB HDD to a new Samsung 500 GB SSD. I used a bootable gparted (gparted-live-1.5.0-1-amd64.iso) CDRW to make my old Linux partition bigger, redid my partitions to remake a new bigger swap partition and add a NTFS partition for my future 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 restore/install (just concentrating on my old Debian for now).
>>>
>>> I managed to make the 1.5 mins. pause go away for UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed job issue by adding # to my /etc/fstab's #UUID=7f52c5a5-0a8f-478e-bbc6-fb22204a06ed none swap sw 0 0 line.
>>> Its comment says "swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation". That used to be my old 1 GB swap partition. How do I figure out what UUID to use to point to the newly made swap partition? Actually, do I even need it with 16 GB of RAM now? I did on the former PC with 2 GB of RAM.
>>>
>>> http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/DebianSwappedHWs/ shows details like dmesg log, a photo, systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service, etc.
>>>
>>> How do I fix these issues? I hope I don't have to (clean/re)install! Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>
>> You'll need the bigger swap partition if you ever use hibernate or
>> suspend/resume.
>>
>> If I were doing that big of a hardware upgrade, I wouldn't dream of
>> *not* doing a clean install of the system.
>
> Aaaahhhh... the microsoft mentality wins out even here :-) Just before
> Easter I too upgraded my 11 year old hardware. I moved my old
> spinning rust to the new hardware, and it just booted.
>
> I did have a little bit more trouble getting the new SSD to boot after
> dd'ing across the contents of the old disk - but I never did get my head
> around these new fangled uuid's (I had forgot that the dd duplicated the
> disk uuid!!!! whoops), and grub2 must one of the most opaque pieces of
> software ever! But even that was quicker than a reinstall, and putting
> back my custom mail, syslog, nfs etc, etc configs
>
> But of course YMMV.

Is systemd jockeying to stranglehold the kernel?
Is uuid a microcancer long-knife too?
How about grub2?
Will dd next be crippled too?

just musing about eEe