We want to create puppets that pull their own strings. -- Ann Marion

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: A Subversive Question

SubjectAuthor
* A Subversive QuestionBrian Gregory
`* A Subversive QuestionNux Vomica
 +- A Subversive QuestionBrian Gregory
 +* A Subversive QuestionBrian Gregory
 |+- A Subversive QuestionStéphane CARPENTIER
 |`- A Subversive QuestionRonB
 +* A Subversive QuestionBrian Gregory
 |`- A Subversive QuestionStéphane CARPENTIER
 +* A Subversive QuestionJoerg Lorenz
 |+* A Subversive QuestionBrian Gregory
 ||`- A Subversive QuestionStéphane CARPENTIER
 |`* A Subversive QuestionStéphane CARPENTIER
 | `- A Subversive QuestionJoerg Lorenz
 `- A Subversive QuestionRonB

1
Re: A Subversive Question

<k9dm7nFrlibU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2783&group=alt.os.linux#2783

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: A Subversive Question
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 17:23 UTC

On 13/02/2023 21:35, Smith Squared wrote:
> I ask this because I believe that the majority of GNU/Linux
> users only want a free ride and care little about the inherent
> responsibilities of using free software (FOSS).

You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
beyond what's in the license agreement(s).

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: A Subversive Question

<175407e48365a361$1$3726760$565a10d6@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2785&group=alt.os.linux#2785

From: nv@linux.rocks (Nux Vomica)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 18:07:18 +0000
 by: Nux Vomica - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:07 UTC

On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:

> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).

That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.

How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
guidance.

Yet each of us (except an asshole) is well aware of our unwritten
social responsibilities. We are to behave in a civil manner and
treat others with courtesy and respect.

It's the same with FOSS. Only a fucking asshole would fail to
comprehend.

FOSS is a community and the unwritten law is that each user should
contribute or give back in a way that is equal to what he has received.

Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.

Re: A Subversive Question

<k9e6qqFu7iuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2790&group=alt.os.linux#2790

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 23:06:18 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:06 UTC

On 08/04/2023 19:07, Nux Vomica wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:
>

>> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
>> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).
>>

> That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.
>
> How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
> license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
> to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
> activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
> guidance.
>
> Yet each of us (except an asshole) is well aware of our unwritten
> social responsibilities. We are to behave in a civil manner and
> treat others with courtesy and respect.
>
> It's the same with FOSS. Only a fucking asshole would fail to
> comprehend.
>
> FOSS is a community and the unwritten law is that each user should
> contribute or give back in a way that is equal to what he has received.
>
> Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.

They should write that in the license then.
Idiot.

If the license says I'm allowed to download and use it then I'm afraid
you can't get upset if sometimes that's all I do.

Why are you having a go at mere users anyway?
Surely it's the people who build Linux in to products that they then
sell for profit that you should be upset about?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: A Subversive Question

<k9e745Fu8t1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2791&group=alt.os.linux#2791

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 23:11:17 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:11 UTC

On 08/04/2023 19:07, Nux Vomica wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:
>

>> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
>> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).
>>

> That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.
>
> How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
> license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
> to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
> activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
> guidance.
>
> Yet each of us (except an asshole) is well aware of our unwritten
> social responsibilities. We are to behave in a civil manner and
> treat others with courtesy and respect.
>
> It's the same with FOSS. Only a fucking asshole would fail to
> comprehend.
>
> FOSS is a community and the unwritten law is that each user should
> contribute or give back in a way that is equal to what he has received.
>
> Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.

The more I look at what you're saying the more stupid you look.

You appear to be saying that the only people who should be allowed to
use a Linux distro are people who have first created a complete Linux
distro all by themselves.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: A Subversive Question

<k9e7crFu8t1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2793&group=alt.os.linux#2793

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 23:15:55 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:15 UTC

On 08/04/2023 19:07, Nux Vomica wrote:

> Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.

Just spotted the one line you wrote that I agree with.
I don't use Ubuntu for exactly this reason.
I tend to use Debian on the few occasions I use Linux.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: A Subversive Question

<u0tskv$33d6j$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2799&group=alt.os.linux#2799

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 10:22:55 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 08:22 UTC

Am 08.04.23 um 20:07 schrieb Nux Vomica:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:
>

>> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
>> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).
>>

> That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.
>
> How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
> license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
> to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
> activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
> guidance.

You are an antisocial, brain dead and anonymous Troll.
Why should anyone have a serious discussion with you?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: A Subversive Question

<k9fgn4F5nrsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2805&group=alt.os.linux#2805

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 11:01:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 10:01 UTC

On 09/04/2023 09:22, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 08.04.23 um 20:07 schrieb Nux Vomica:
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:
>>

>>> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
>>> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).
>>>

>> That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.
>>
>> How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
>> license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
>> to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
>> activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
>> guidance.
>
> You are an antisocial, brain dead and anonymous Troll.
> Why should anyone have a serious discussion with you?

Yes.
I notice he didn't do anything like give us his Github user name so we
can see his contributions.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: A Subversive Question

<6432b4d6$0$7631$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2808&group=alt.os.linux#2808

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Apr 2023 12:51:34 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 12:51 UTC

Le 08-04-2023, Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> a écrit :
> On 08/04/2023 19:07, Nux Vomica wrote:
> [SNIP the nonsense]
> The more I look at what you're saying the more stupid you look.

It looks like you don't know it. It changes pseudo regularly but it's
the same barking dog who posted on cola for years. It's stupidity has no
limit.

> You appear to be saying that the only people who should be allowed to
> use a Linux distro are people who have first created a complete Linux
> distro all by themselves.

It's a Windows user making believe it's using Gentoo, but I don't buy
it. It's to stupid for that. In fact, I don't buy anything it claims.
You can answer it if you really want to have some fun, but if you are
hoping to have a really interesting exchange, you are wasting your time.

I'm pretty sure it's a Windows user who want to make believe every Linux
user is as stupid as it.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: A Subversive Question

<6432b591$0$7631$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2809&group=alt.os.linux#2809

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Apr 2023 12:54:41 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 12:54 UTC

Le 08-04-2023, Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> a écrit :
> On 08/04/2023 19:07, Nux Vomica wrote:
>>
>> Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.
>>

> Just spotted the one line you wrote that I agree with.
> I don't use Ubuntu for exactly this reason.
> I tend to use Debian on the few occasions I use Linux.

I don't use ubuntu because it doesn't suit me. But in fact, for new
users, there are goods and bad things for ubuntu. The bad thing is that
there is snap which is a bad solution for a real problem. The good thing
is that for some computers locked by Microsoft, it can be the only
choice not that hard to install.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: A Subversive Question

<6432b751$0$2999$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2810&group=alt.os.linux#2810

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Apr 2023 13:02:09 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 13:02 UTC

Le 09-04-2023, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> a écrit :
> Am 08.04.23 um 20:07 schrieb Nux Vomica:
>
> You are an antisocial,

Yes.

> brain dead and

Yes again.

> anonymous Troll.

Not that anonymous. It changes pseudo but it's style is easy to spot.
It was more in cola, someone sent personal information about it, don't
know how trustworthy it an be (the personnal information, not the
barking dog of course).

> Why should anyone have a serious discussion with you?

You can't have a serious discussion with it. You spotted the problem
before: brain dead.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: A Subversive Question

<6432b7d3$0$2999$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2811&group=alt.os.linux#2811

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Apr 2023 13:04:19 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 13:04 UTC

Le 09-04-2023, Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> a écrit :
> I notice he didn't do anything like give us his Github user name so we
> can see his contributions.

It contributes to nothing because it claims that others are slowing it.
But I'm pretty sure it doesn't contribute because it's to stupid to
that.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: A Subversive Question

<u109o7$39a6a$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2834&group=alt.os.linux#2834

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 08:18:47 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 06:18 UTC

Am 09.04.23 um 15:02 schrieb Stéphane CARPENTIER:
> Le 09-04-2023, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> a écrit :
>> Am 08.04.23 um 20:07 schrieb Nux Vomica:
>>
>> You are an antisocial,
>
> Yes.
>
>> brain dead and
>
> Yes again.
>
>> anonymous Troll.
>
> Not that anonymous. It changes pseudo but it's style is easy to spot.
> It was more in cola, someone sent personal information about it, don't
> know how trustworthy it an be (the personnal information, not the
> barking dog of course).
>
>> Why should anyone have a serious discussion with you?
>
> You can't have a serious discussion with it. You spotted the problem
> before: brain dead.

;-) you are right. It was a kind of a Pleonasmus.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: A Subversive Question

<u149gi$2mlp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2877&group=alt.os.linux#2877

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:39:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:39 UTC

On 2023-04-08, Nux Vomica <nv@linux.rocks> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:
>

>> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
>> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).
>>

> That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.
>
> How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
> license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
> to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
> activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
> guidance.
>
> Yet each of us (except an asshole) is well aware of our unwritten
> social responsibilities. We are to behave in a civil manner and
> treat others with courtesy and respect.
>
> It's the same with FOSS. Only a fucking asshole would fail to
> comprehend.
>
> FOSS is a community and the unwritten law is that each user should
> contribute or give back in a way that is equal to what he has received.
>
> Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.

I see how you "comport" yourself in public. You talk about "social
responsibilites" and rant on about "assholes." You're so full of crap it
oozes out your gill slits.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: A Subversive Question

<u149m2$2mlp3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2882&group=alt.os.linux#2882

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:42:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 18:42 UTC

On 2023-04-08, Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/04/2023 19:07, Nux Vomica wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Apr 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Brian Gregory wrote:
>>

>>> You are deluded if you believe there are additional responsibilities
>>> beyond what's in the license agreement(s).
>>>

>> That is the typical response of a shallow-minded asshole.
>>
>> How does one comport ones self in public? The law (i.e. social
>> license) says little. The law only says that we are not allowed
>> to bash others over the head (assault) or engage in loud, boisterous
>> activity (disturbance of peace) but otherwise there is little
>> guidance.
>>
>> Yet each of us (except an asshole) is well aware of our unwritten
>> social responsibilities. We are to behave in a civil manner and
>> treat others with courtesy and respect.
>>
>> It's the same with FOSS. Only a fucking asshole would fail to
>> comprehend.
>>
>> FOSS is a community and the unwritten law is that each user should
>> contribute or give back in a way that is equal to what he has received.
>>
>> Yet leaching organizations (e.g. Ubuntu) foster a climate of leaching.
>>

> The more I look at what you're saying the more stupid you look.
>
> You appear to be saying that the only people who should be allowed to
> use a Linux distro are people who have first created a complete Linux
> distro all by themselves.

That's basically what his constant trolling amounts to. That and switching
nyms about every time he posts (which I guess he finds "socially
responsible").