Your mode of life will be changed to ASCII.

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

SubjectAuthor
* Playing DVDs on LinuxCecil Westerhof
+* Playing DVDs on LinuxJ.O. Aho
|+* Playing DVDs on LinuxKenny McCormack
||`- Playing DVDs on LinuxAnt
|+* Playing DVDs on LinuxEdmund
||`* Playing DVDs on LinuxAnt
|| `* Playing DVDs on LinuxYrrah
||  `- Playing DVDs on Linuxjjb
|`* Playing DVDs on LinuxCecil Westerhof
| `* Playing DVDs on LinuxPaul
|  `* Playing DVDs on LinuxCecil Westerhof
|   +* Playing DVDs on LinuxAndrei Z.
|   |`* Playing DVDs on LinuxCecil Westerhof
|   | `- Playing DVDs on LinuxPaul
|   `- Playing DVDs on LinuxTJ
`* Playing DVDs on LinuxHoward
 `- Playing DVDs on LinuxYrrah

1
Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u16o6t$29srn$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2885&group=alt.os.linux#2885

From: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Playing DVDs on Linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:02:21 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:02 UTC

In article <k9o49rFg1mlU1@mid.individual.net>,
J.O. Aho <user@example.net> wrote:
>On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
>> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
>> mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
>>
>> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
>> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
>> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
>> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?
>>

>I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I
>last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other
>apps like VLC.

Yes. I would also recommend switching to VLC.

--
No puppet.
No puppet.

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u16o2h$35ngq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2886&group=alt.os.linux#2886

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 19:00:01 +0200
 by: Edmund - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:00 UTC

On 4/12/23 18:24, J.O. Aho wrote:
> On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
>> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
>>      mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
>>
>> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
>> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
>> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
>> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?
>>

> I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other apps like VLC.

VLC? why on earth would you use something simple and efficient when it can
be done complicated time consuming and difficult?
It's linux you know!

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<87ttxl6ke2.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2888&group=alt.os.linux#2888

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 20:11:17 +0200
sha1:3++w2QDddAhHd4+xmcneG1UDIvk=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:11 UTC

"J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> writes:

> On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
>> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
>> mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
>> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
>> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
>> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
>> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?
>>

> I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I
> last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other
> apps like VLC.

VLC starts better, but then crashes.
I get:
[00007fbec40401a0] avcodec decoder: Using Mesa Gallium driver 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-20-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1) for hardware decoding
[00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
[00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (pts_delay increased to 300 ms)
[00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
[00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (jitter of 5017 ms ignored)
Segmentation fault

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Playing DVDs on Linux

<87355585qv.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2890&group=alt.os.linux#2890

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Playing DVDs on Linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:44:40 +0200
sha1:HQvheq3BgjCuX+pCQIzXzbDcm9A=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:44 UTC

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2891&group=alt.os.linux#2891

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 18:24:27 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:24 UTC

On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
> mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
>
> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?

I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I
last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other
apps like VLC.

--
//Aho

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u16p18$3p42s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2892&group=alt.os.linux#2892

From: nylabone@pocketmail.com (Howard)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 10:16:22 -0700
 by: Howard - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 17:16 UTC

On 4/12/23 08:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
> mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
>
> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?

We use VLC here, because it lets us record the weekly Pink Floyd radio show.
https://www.floydianslip.com/index.php

But SMPlayer has a nicer interface.

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u17s87$8gh1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2893&group=alt.os.linux#2893

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 23:17:26 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 03:17 UTC

On 4/12/2023 2:11 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> "J.O. Aho" <user@example.net> writes:
>
>> On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
>>> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
>>> mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
>>> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
>>> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
>>> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
>>> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?
>>>

>> I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I
>> last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other
>> apps like VLC.
>
> VLC starts better, but then crashes.
> I get:
> [00007fbec40401a0] avcodec decoder: Using Mesa Gallium driver 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-20-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1) for hardware decoding
> [00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
> [00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (pts_delay increased to 300 ms)
> [00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
> [00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (jitter of 5017 ms ignored)
> Segmentation fault

You don't mention your distro version, perhaps I missed it.

If I look in synaptic here, even without VLC installed, I can
see some packages.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/B6MbC3f0/synaptic-decss-plus-navigation.gif

libdvdcss2 - DeCSS is needed to decrypt the Content Scrambling System of Hollywood DVDs.
The license issues do not allow it to be included with the OS DVD.
When the package is "installed", it still does not have a lib.so in it.
Using dpkg-reconfigure, it downloads a lib.so for the job from "somewhere".
This is very similar to how we used to do this manually, in years past.

libdvdnav4 - MPV has a wrapper called Celluloid. If I load my (one and only) Hollywood DVD,
MPV walks right past the "DVD menu" file. Instead, it plays Chapter 1 directly.
This means, MPV is not using libdvdnav4. Whereas, VLC uses this library, and
VLC plays the teaser loop until you select the menu "Play" option. At which
point "Chapter 1" starts to play. The "player controls" at the bottom of the window,
one of those controls jumps a chapter at a time. Hollywood DVDs have a more-or-less
standard size for chapters, whereas home-made DVD menu and authoring software
is more flexible, and there could be a lot more chapters to trundle through.

libdvdread8 - No idea what this actually does. Like, if you "dd" a Hollywood DVD, in the
presence of DeCSS, is this lib involved ? Probably not. Yet, I can "dd" a
Hollywood DVD, and get the decrypted version. Or, if careless, I can get the
still-scrambled version.

So those may have already been present, but the libdvdcss2 may need a dpkg-reconfigure,
to get it to do the download step.

*******

This error:

ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR

is delightfully non-specific.

You could use cvlc from the command line, but that's only really
appropriate if doing media conversion or something. Some kind of
file-level activity you want VLC to carry out.

If you try

vlc -v

maybe when you load the DVD, you'll get more verbose output.

The error, relates to an attempt to put together a bunch of
streaming blocks, tear the video into component parts, decode it,
and play it. The timestamps are needed, as part of coordinating playback.

When the timestamps don't show up (like say DeCSS is missing and the
parser can't make any sense of the stream), the player kind of panics.
It tries to add extra delay, to "give the streaming pipe time to do its job".

It's unclear why you got the segfault that you did.

Running the buffer deadlock gives...

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc-unity/-/issues/76

"I checked the meaning of "buffer deadlock prevented error" from vlc forum.
"It means the decoder wants more data in before it can give data out, but
at the same time, the flow control wants the decoder to output something
before it allows more data in. To break the deadlock, VLC will turn off
flow control and allow data in"
"

But another description for this, means the chain of decoding elements is
not complete, and the decoder just isn't parsing the stream properly.

Almost like DeCSS is missing.

For this user, it may have been a region issue. Maybe the user changed the
region code on his player five times, and then the player refused to change
it any more. People with multi-region collections can have this happen,
if they did not make their player region-free when new (a firmware hack of some sort).

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/vlc-crashes-with-a-dvd-856888/

I was able to play my sample movie, on an OS running Nouveau, and probably
not offering hardware acceleration. It still worked.

The error is delightfully non-specific, yet if there is no
mention of chapters (yet), it's possible DeCSS is not happening,
and you need to research how to dpkg-reconfigure (or whatever hoops
your distro uses to get around the legal hassles of DeCSS library).

Messages before the delightful message shows up, give some idea
as to how many phases of playback have been completed. If you get
any sort of coherent message before the situation shows up, this
would have meant that DeCSS was working.

For one user, the root cause was a missing DVD subtitle library.
Even though the user did not call for subtitles, it might have
been a block in the decoding chain.

Paul

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<87h6tk6xki.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2894&group=alt.os.linux#2894

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 09:38:53 +0200
sha1:BuIuod2CK6xGoNqb5tA5qiiXTCA=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Thu, 13 Apr 2023 07:38 UTC

Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:

> On 4/12/2023 2:11 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>>> I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I
>>> last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other
>>> apps like VLC.
>> VLC starts better, but then crashes.
>> I get:
>> [00007fbec40401a0] avcodec decoder: Using Mesa Gallium driver
>> 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-20-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1) for
>> hardware decoding
>> [00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
>> [00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is
>> called too late (pts_delay increased to 300 ms)
>> [00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
>> [00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is
>> called too late (jitter of 5017 ms ignored)
>> Segmentation fault
>>
> You don't mention your distro version, perhaps I missed it.

I am using Debian. I have to digest your info and I am a bit busy
today. :'-(
In a way I think it should not be one of the things you mention,
because mpv does play the DVD. (Albeit a bit strangely.) But it does
not hurt to try it out.
Will be continued, but will take some time.

Thank you for the very extensive answer.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<vh6dnbiOYvmGLaX5nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2900&group=alt.os.linux#2900

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 01:44:59 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 01:44 UTC

Edmund <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/23 18:24, J.O. Aho wrote:
> > On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> >> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
> >> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
> >>      mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
> >>
> >> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
> >> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
> >> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
> >> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?
> >>

> > I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other apps like VLC.
> >
> VLC? why on earth would you use something simple and efficient when it can
> be done complicated time consuming and difficult?
> It's linux you know!

LOL. I used to use mplayer with a frontend GUI player. I forgot its name.
--
"Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow." --Psalm 144:4. 7.5h of Z after a slammy winter (still is 2day) hump day with 5h of Z, issues, colony, etc. :) Frontier Day! Picard S3 still rocks.
| |o o| |

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<vh6dnbuOYvmmLaX5nZ2dnZfqnPYAAAAA@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2901&group=alt.os.linux#2901

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 01:45:31 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 01:45 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> In article <k9o49rFg1mlU1@mid.individual.net>,
> J.O. Aho <user@example.net> wrote:
> >On 4/12/23 17:44, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> >> I bought a few DVDs and do not have a DVD player. So I want to play
> >> them on my computer. The best way I have fount until now is:
> >> mpv dvd:// --dvd-device=/media/cdrom0 --window-maximized=yes
> >>
> >> But this start playing the first chapter on the DVD. Only when it has
> >> almost finished the chapter it starts loading the second chapter.
> >> There is also no way to go to a next or previous chapter.
> >> Is there a better way, or am I stuck with this?
> >>

> >I think the mpv/mplayer DVD support is a bit limited, at least when I
> >last tested there was issues with some DVDs that worked fine in other
> >apps like VLC.

> Yes. I would also recommend switching to VLC.

Ditto.
--
"Man is like a breath; his days are like a fleeting shadow." --Psalm 144:4. 7.5h of Z after a slammy winter (still is 2day) hump day with 5h of Z, issues, colony, etc. :) Frontier Day! Picard S3 still rocks.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u1ajs8$3psvq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2902&group=alt.os.linux#2902

From: no-email@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 07:12:56 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 04:12 UTC

Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:
>
>> On 4/12/2023 2:11 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> You don't mention your distro version, perhaps I missed it.
>
> I am using Debian. I have to digest your info and I am a bit busy
> today. :'-(
> In a way I think it should not be one of the things you mention,
> because mpv does play the DVD. (Albeit a bit strangely.) But it does
> not hurt to try it out.
> Will be continued, but will take some time.

How to install libdvdcss (libdvd-pkg), multimedia plugins, codecs in
Ubuntu / Debian Linux to play encrypted DVDs

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/installing-plugins-codecs-libdvdcss-in-debian-ubuntu-linux/

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<8735527u1k.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2903&group=alt.os.linux#2903

From: Cecil@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:21:59 +0200
sha1:AYDmIXx+NI8sJdP61oOriZ4bdss=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 08:21 UTC

"Andrei Z." <no-email@invalid.invalid> writes:

> Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> On 4/12/2023 2:11 PM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> You don't mention your distro version, perhaps I missed it.
>> I am using Debian. I have to digest your info and I am a bit busy
>> today. :'-(
>> In a way I think it should not be one of the things you mention,
>> because mpv does play the DVD. (Albeit a bit strangely.) But it does
>> not hurt to try it out.
>> Will be continued, but will take some time.
>>
> How to install libdvdcss (libdvd-pkg), multimedia plugins, codecs in
> Ubuntu / Debian Linux to play encrypted DVDs
>
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/installing-plugins-codecs-libdvdcss-in-debian-ubuntu-linux/

I already did that.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u1b8m3$1gd4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2904&group=alt.os.linux#2904

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 06:08:04 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:08 UTC

On 4/14/2023 4:21 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> "Andrei Z." <no-email@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>>> I am using Debian. I have to digest your info and I am a bit busy
>>> today. :'-(
>>> In a way I think it should not be one of the things you mention,
>>> because mpv does play the DVD. (Albeit a bit strangely.) But it does
>>> not hurt to try it out.
>>> Will be continued, but will take some time.
>>>
>> How to install libdvdcss (libdvd-pkg), multimedia plugins, codecs in
>> Ubuntu / Debian Linux to play encrypted DVDs
>>
>> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/installing-plugins-codecs-libdvdcss-in-debian-ubuntu-linux/
>
> I already did that.

Would your sample media, have protection methods other than CSS ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Compact_Disc_and_DVD_copy_protection_schemes

Paul

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u1bidi$1hue9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2911&group=alt.os.linux#2911

From: TJ@noneofyour.business (TJ)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 08:54:08 -0400
 by: TJ - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 12:54 UTC

On 2023-04-13 03:38, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> writes:

>>> VLC starts better, but then crashes.
>>> I get:
>>> [00007fbec40401a0] avcodec decoder: Using Mesa Gallium driver
>>> 20.3.5 for AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.50.0, 5.10.0-20-amd64, LLVM 11.0.1) for
>>> hardware decoding
>>> [00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
>>> [00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is
>>> called too late (pts_delay increased to 300 ms)
>>> [00007fbec40401a0] main decoder error: buffer deadlock prevented
>>> [00007fbed0000c80] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is
>>> called too late (jitter of 5017 ms ignored)
>>> Segmentation fault
>>>
>> You don't mention your distro version, perhaps I missed it.
>
> I am using Debian. I have to digest your info and I am a bit busy
> today. :'-(
> In a way I think it should not be one of the things you mention,
> because mpv does play the DVD. (Albeit a bit strangely.) But it does
> not hurt to try it out.
> Will be continued, but will take some time.
>
> Thank you for the very extensive answer.

VLC works perfectly for me in Mageia 8, but then my newest DVD is a good
10 years old, so new ones may be somehow different. I haven't tried it
in Mageia 9 yet, but there's no reason to expect it won't work.

I almost never use my optical drive any more. My last desktop build
doesn't even have one, and I replaced those that came in my laptops with
hard drive caddies. I put one of those optical drives into a usb
external case for the rare times when I want to use optical media. Seems
to work OK so far.

TJ

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<rmji3il8n4718pqjt5n162mvlrtbs16cdh@net.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2912&group=alt.os.linux#2912

From: Yrrah-aol@aol.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aol@aol.invalid>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 15:02:43 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:02 UTC

ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
> > VLC? why on earth would you use something simple and efficient when it can
> > be done complicated time consuming and difficult?
> > It's linux you know!

> LOL. I used to use mplayer with a frontend GUI player. I forgot its name.

SMPlayer?
https://www.smplayer.info/

Works well here.

Yrrah

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<mnji3ilgfld9mteujn8o3g8ddpumefd4n3@net.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2913&group=alt.os.linux#2913

From: Yrrah-aol@aol.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aol@aol.invalid>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 15:02:52 +0200
 by: Yrrah - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 13:02 UTC

Howard <nylabone@pocketmail.com> :
> But SMPlayer has a nicer interface.

Yes, and guess what...? The program works as advesrtised.

Yrrah

Re: Playing DVDs on Linux

<u1bne8$1it6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2919&group=alt.os.linux#2919

From: jjb@invalid.invalid (jjb)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:19:51 +0200
 by: jjb - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 14:19 UTC

On 14-04-2023 15:02, Yrrah wrote:
> ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>>> VLC? why on earth would you use something simple and efficient when it can
>>> be done complicated time consuming and difficult?
>>> It's linux you know!
>
>> LOL. I used to use mplayer with a frontend GUI player. I forgot its name.
>
> SMPlayer?
> https://www.smplayer.info/
>
> Works well here.
>
> Yrrah

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3
VLC from apt did not work when I tried. However, the flatpak version
works perfectly.