You are in a maze of UUCP connections, all alike.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-11 / Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

SubjectAuthor
* Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsMaurice Helwig
+* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsPaul
|`- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsMr. Man-wai Chang
+- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsBrian Gregory
+* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions...winston
|+* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsKenW
||+* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions...winston
|||`* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsKenW
||| `* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|||  +* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsFrank Slootweg
|||  |`- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions...winston
|||  +- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsMaurice Helwig
|||  `* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsMaurice Helwig
|||   `- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
||`- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsAnton Shepelev
|`* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsMaurice Helwig
| `- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions...winston
+* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsBob Henson
|`- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsPaul
`* Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsJ-Drummond
 `- Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editionsPaul

1
Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufb066$1dpco$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2921&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2921

From: mbhelwig@aussiebroadband.com.au (Maurice Helwig)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:30:44 +1000
 by: Maurice Helwig - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 05:30 UTC

September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
applied )
Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
All went well with no problems.

A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.

When I click on it I get a small window with a message --

"Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
the Microsoft Store.

I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.

Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.

Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it, with
a local account only.

Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any differently
on the "Pro" version.

Thank you
Maurice Helwig

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufbko9$1hjij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2922&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2922

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 07:21:44 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:21 UTC

On 10/1/2023 1:30 AM, Maurice Helwig wrote:
> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update applied )
> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
> All went well with no problems.
>
> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>
> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>
> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to the Microsoft Store.
>
> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>
> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>
> Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it, with a local account only.
>
> Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any differently on the "Pro" version.
>
> Thank you
> Maurice Helwig

Oh, my.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2023/03/16/introducing-microsoft-365-copilot-a-whole-new-way-to-work/

You can see the clank of machinery grinding out this content. So lifelike, this memo.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-mechanics-blog/how-to-get-ready-for-microsoft-365-copilot/ba-p/3853773

Yes, by all means, we must find the control for this.

This memo also appears life-like. The intro section, is a copy-pasta from a Weyland-Yutani memo.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-windows-copilot-in-windows-11.17045/

"The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions." [Oh,my]

User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot​
"Turn off Windows CoPilot"

For a Home user... this is the corresponding .reg file (left justify the text if placing in the .reg).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]
"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]
"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=dword:00000001

You can see that, to enable it, the file for that removes the variable, rather than
setting the variable to zero.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]
"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCopilot]
"TurnOffWindowsCopilot"=-

*******

What is ironic, is most of the web sites carrying "how to turn off Microsoft Advertising"
have the most aggressive adverts of their own on the website. Nearly broke my irony
meter, collecting a few of these.

Settings wheel:
System : Notifications : Additional Settings (three tick boxes)

( From: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-remove-ads-windows-11/ Don't visit... )

I just copied some of these into a summary picture.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/Ss5KXDsM/settings-advertising-adjustments-disable.gif

*******

Some may be accessible via Registry editing. DWORDs come in 32-bit DWORD and 64-bit DWORD64,
and you would expect simple flags carrying boolean values to only be DWORD ones.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager
; To disable ads
"RotatingLockScreenEnabled"=0
"RotatingLockScreenOverlayEnabled"=0
"SubscribedContent-338387Enabled"=0
; defaults (enable ads)
"RotatingLockScreenEnabled"=1
"RotatingLockScreenOverlayEnabled"=1
"SubscribedContent-338387Enabled"=1

All three values above, are of the DWORD type.

Disable automatic installation of apps in Windows 11

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager.
SilentInstalledAppsEnabled DWORD 0

It's probably better to just look at that section, for things to zero out.
You can see for the grouped items, they will just keep creating them as time passes.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/L4xqnxpC/registry-contentdeliverymanager-advertising.gif

*******

StartMenuAdds, 25227.x or later, as Administrator [we have a while to wait, yet]
https://github.com/thebookisclosed/ViVe/releases

c:\vivetool\vivetool /disable /id:36435151

Paul

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<kntqc3Foa8fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2923&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2923

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 18:59:31 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:59 UTC

On 01/10/2023 06:30, Maurice Helwig wrote:
> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
> applied )
> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
> All went well with no problems.
>
> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>
> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>
> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
> the Microsoft Store.
>
> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>
> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.

Right click the taskbar and choose "Taskbar settings".
One of the settings allows you to disable copilot.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<uffc0m$34mmq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2933&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2933

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:17:08 -0400
 by: ...winston - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 21:17 UTC

Maurice Helwig wrote:
> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
> applied )
> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
> All went well with no problems.
>
> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>
> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>
> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
> the Microsoft Store.
>
> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>
> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>
> Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it, with
> a local account only.
>
> Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any differently
> on the "Pro" version.
>
> Thank you
> Maurice Helwig

KR5030310 doesn't install CoPilot

Copilot is an update that is deployed by Windows 11 22H2 Configuration
Update - 'Get updates as soon as available'. W11-CU was initially
deployed to Windows 11 in May 2023.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-26-2023-windows-configuration-update-542780c2-594c-46cb-979d-11116fe164ba

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<j8imhid3ekimvp6vjo202vd7hpek56lvmt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2934&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2934

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 16:52:33 -0600
 by: KenW - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 22:52 UTC

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:17:08 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Maurice Helwig wrote:
>> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
>> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
>> applied )
>> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
>> All went well with no problems.
>>
>> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
>> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>>
>> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>>
>> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
>> the Microsoft Store.
>>
>> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>>
>> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
>> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>>
>> Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it, with
>> a local account only.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any differently
>> on the "Pro" version.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Maurice Helwig
>
>KR5030310 doesn't install CoPilot
>
>Copilot is an update that is deployed by Windows 11 22H2 Configuration
>Update - 'Get updates as soon as available'. W11-CU was initially
>deployed to Windows 11 in May 2023.
>
>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-26-2023-windows-configuration-update-542780c2-594c-46cb-979d-11116fe164ba

My Pro versions do not have copilot, but Malwarebytes bugs me about
setting Win 11 updates because I haven't and don't want to get updates
early.

KenW

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufgdcf$3e7hq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2940&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2940

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:46:37 -0400
 by: ...winston - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 06:46 UTC

KenW wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:17:08 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Maurice Helwig wrote:
>>> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
>>> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
>>> applied )
>>> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
>>> All went well with no problems.
>>>
>>> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
>>> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>>>
>>> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>>>
>>> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
>>> the Microsoft Store.
>>>
>>> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>>>
>>> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
>>> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>>>
>>> Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it, with
>>> a local account only.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any differently
>>> on the "Pro" version.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Maurice Helwig
>>
>> KR5030310 doesn't install CoPilot
>>
>> Copilot is an update that is deployed by Windows 11 22H2 Configuration
>> Update - 'Get updates as soon as available'. W11-CU was initially
>> deployed to Windows 11 in May 2023.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-26-2023-windows-configuration-update-542780c2-594c-46cb-979d-11116fe164ba
>
> My Pro versions do not have copilot, but Malwarebytes bugs me about
> setting Win 11 updates because I haven't and don't want to get updates
> early.
>

> KenW

Define 'early'

Lacking that definition.
Don't seek for updates(Check for updates)
Don't enable 'get updates as soon as available'
Don't install previews.

Note: Even with the above
.NET updates will deploy automatically(still, and as designed)

Updates(Cumulative Monthly and when necessary Service Stack Updates)
will be installed on the regular schedule(on or after second Tues each
month)

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<pk2ohi1jgnuiugv497tgck6bsructb35oe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2941&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2941

From: ken1943@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 06:38:17 -0600
 by: KenW - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:38 UTC

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:46:37 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
wrote:

>KenW wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:17:08 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> KR5030310 doesn't install CoPilot
>>>
>>> Copilot is an update that is deployed by Windows 11 22H2 Configuration
>>> Update - 'Get updates as soon as available'. W11-CU was initially
>>> deployed to Windows 11 in May 2023.
>>>
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-26-2023-windows-configuration-update-542780c2-594c-46cb-979d-11116fe164ba
>>
>> My Pro versions do not have copilot, but Malwarebytes bugs me about
>> setting Win 11 updates because I haven't and don't want to get updates
>> early.
>>

>> KenW
>>
>Define 'early'
>
>Lacking that definition.
>Don't seek for updates(Check for updates)
>Don't enable 'get updates as soon as available'
>Don't install previews.
>
>Note: Even with the above
> .NET updates will deploy automatically(still, and as designed)
>
>Updates(Cumulative Monthly and when necessary Service Stack Updates)
>will be installed on the regular schedule(on or after second Tues each
>month)

"as soon as they come out" setting. Settings > Windows Update > First
Option

KenW

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<n9rh91tzswpm.1aab4uxei2l8x.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2942&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2942

From: bob.henson@outlook.com (Bob Henson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:09:27 +0100
 by: Bob Henson - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 13:09 UTC

Maurice Helwig wrote:

> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
> applied )
> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
> All went well with no problems.
>
> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>
> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>
> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
> the Microsoft Store.
>
> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>
> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.

I can't answer that, but I would like to think that the answer was when the
makers of Co-pilot satnav successfully sue Microsoft for breach of
copyright/trademark.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

If you think women are the weaker sex - try pulling the duvet back to your
side of the bed!

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufh9vd$3jrvb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2944&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2944

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 10:54:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:54 UTC

On 10/3/2023 9:09 AM, Bob Henson wrote:
> Maurice Helwig wrote:
>
>> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
>> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
>> applied )
>> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
>> All went well with no problems.
>>
>> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
>> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>>
>> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>>
>> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
>> the Microsoft Store.
>>
>> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>>
>> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
>> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>
> I can't answer that, but I would like to think that the answer was when the
> makers of Co-pilot satnav successfully sue Microsoft for breach of
> copyright/trademark.

If they need a new name, I like "Dalek Assistant". Or perhaps "Rental Dalek Assistant"

If you're to be exterminated, there should be a $3 monthly charge.

Paul

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufhgtn$3lbr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2945&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2945

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:53:09 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 16:53 UTC

KenW wrote on 03-Oct-23 8:38 AM:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:46:37 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> KenW wrote:

>>> My Pro versions do not have copilot, but Malwarebytes bugs me about
>>> setting Win 11 updates because I haven't and don't want to get updates
>>> early.
>>>

>>> KenW
>>>
>> Define 'early'
>>
>> Lacking that definition.
>> Don't seek for updates(Check for updates)
>> Don't enable 'get updates as soon as available'
>> Don't install previews.
>>
>> Note: Even with the above
>> .NET updates will deploy automatically(still, and as designed)
>>
>> Updates(Cumulative Monthly and when necessary Service Stack Updates)
>> will be installed on the regular schedule(on or after second Tues each
>> month)
>
> "as soon as they come out" setting. Settings > Windows Update > First
> Option
>

> KenW

See above
i.e. disable the optiona to get updates as soon as 'available'
- *no soon 'as they come out' option*

Win11 Pro has the option to 'Pause updates' for period of time(1 to 5
weeks). Win11 Home, unlike Pro can only be paused for 1 week.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufhrre.fu4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2948&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2948

From: this@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: 3 Oct 2023 17:59:52 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:59 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> Win11 Pro has the option to 'Pause updates' for period of time(1 to 5
> weeks). Win11 Home, unlike Pro can only be paused for 1 week.

My (HP OEM) Windows 11 Home can also be paused for 1 to 5 weeks. I
successfully used that on a 3-months holiday (and renewed the pause
period several times before it ran out).

Would be interesting if some other people could check this on their
Windows 11 Home systems, both for OEM and retail versions.

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufi2rk$3os6r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2954&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2954

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:59:15 -0400
 by: ...winston - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:59 UTC

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Win11 Pro has the option to 'Pause updates' for period of time(1 to 5
>> weeks). Win11 Home, unlike Pro can only be paused for 1 week.
>
> My (HP OEM) Windows 11 Home can also be paused for 1 to 5 weeks. I
> successfully used that on a 3-months holiday (and renewed the pause
> period several times before it ran out).
>
> Would be interesting if some other people could check this on their
> Windows 11 Home systems, both for OEM and retail versions.

Hi, Frank.
Thanks for the info on Home(update pause timeframe).
- it's been years since I've used Home(OEM or Retail) and may have
recalled an earlier limit. My last Home was on a Surface 3 that was
shortly after first use was upgraded to Pro, using a MSFT provided 8.1
Pro Key.
That device is getting old-in-the-tooth, but for my tablet usage time,
it is capably running Windows 10 Pro 22H2. Updates take a bit longer on
the old Atom CPU.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufi35n$3oq4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2955&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2955

From: mbhelwig@aussiebroadband.com.au (Maurice Helwig)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:04:39 +1000
 by: Maurice Helwig - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:04 UTC

On 4/10/2023 2:53 am, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> Win11 Pro has the option to 'Pause updates' for period of time(1 to 5
> weeks). Win11 Home, unlike Pro can only be paused for 1 week.

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufi39u$3p0em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2956&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2956

From: mbhelwig@aussiebroadband.com.au (Maurice Helwig)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:06:54 +1000
 by: Maurice Helwig - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:06 UTC

On 4/10/2023 2:53 am, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> KenW wrote on 03-Oct-23 8:38 AM:
>> On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 02:46:37 -0400, "...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Define 'early'
>>>
>>> Lacking that definition.
>>> Don't seek for updates(Check for updates)
>>> Don't enable 'get updates as soon as available'
>>> Don't install previews.
>>>
>>> Note: Even with the above
>>>   .NET updates will deploy automatically(still, and as designed)
>>>
>>> Updates(Cumulative Monthly and when necessary Service Stack Updates)
>>> will be installed on the regular schedule(on or after second Tues each
>>> month)
>>
>> "as soon as they come out" setting. Settings > Windows Update > First
>> Option
>>

>> KenW
>>
> See above
>  i.e. disable the optiona to get updates as soon as 'available'
>  - *no soon 'as they come out' option*
>
> Win11 Pro has the option to 'Pause updates' for period of time(1 to 5
> weeks). Win11 Home, unlike Pro can only be paused for 1 week.

Interesting ????????

Both of my "home" installs of Windows 11 Home can pause updates for up
to 8 weeks as can my Windows 11 Pro computer.

Maurice helwig

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufi3tk$3p4ra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2958&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2958

From: mbhelwig@aussiebroadband.com.au (Maurice Helwig)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:17:21 +1000
 by: Maurice Helwig - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:17 UTC

On 3/10/2023 7:17 am, ...winston wrote:
> Maurice Helwig wrote:
>> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
>> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
>> applied )
>> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
>> All went well with no problems.
>>
>> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
>> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>>
>> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>>
>> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
>> the Microsoft Store.
>>
>> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>>
>> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
>> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>>
>> Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it,
>> with a local account only.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any
>> differently on the "Pro" version.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Maurice Helwig
>
> KR5030310 doesn't install CoPilot
>
> Copilot is an update that is deployed by Windows 11 22H2 Configuration
> Update - 'Get updates as soon as available'. W11-CU was initially
> deployed to Windows 11 in May 2023.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-26-2023-windows-configuration-update-542780c2-594c-46cb-979d-11116fe164ba

From reading the above link I think that I will need a Microsoft
account to get Copilot !!!!!
I only have windows 11 installed with a "Local Account" on each computer.

Maurice Helwig

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<20231004160147.b3bb2abec514902343fc67bf@gmail.moc>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2964&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2964

From: anton.txt@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:01:47 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:01 UTC

KenW:

> My Pro versions do not have copilot, but Malwarebytes bugs
> me about setting Win 11 updates because I haven't and
> don't want to get updates early.

Reading this thread from my good old Windows XP makes feel a
happy man, a user of OS that does try to control me.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufjvun$btsa$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2970&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2970

From: toylet.toylet@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:21:37 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:21 UTC

On 10/1/2023 7:21 PM, Paul wrote:

> Yes, by all means, we must find the control for this.

I do NOT need A.I. Thanks!

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufkll3$h5hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2980&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2980

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...winston)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:32:17 -0400
 by: ...winston - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:32 UTC

Maurice Helwig wrote:
> On 3/10/2023 7:17 am, ...winston wrote:
>> Maurice Helwig wrote:
>>> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
>>> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
>>> applied )
>>> Computer has only a local account and Windows 11 home OS
>>> All went well with no problems.
>>>
>>> A new icon appears on the taskbar called "Copilot (preview)"
>>> This can be turned off in the taskbar, and does not seem to do anything.
>>>
>>> When I click on it I get a small window with a message --
>>>
>>> "Get an app to open this 'Microsoft edge" link" and then points me to
>>> the Microsoft Store.
>>>
>>> I do not use edge at all but I use Firefox browser only.
>>>
>>> Question 1 -- How do I get rid of this permanently. I cannot seem to
>>> find where the software is that is producing the taskbar icon.
>>>
>>> Question 2 -- My main computer has Windows 11 Pro installed on it,
>>> with a local account only.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if this "Copilot (preview)" will behave any
>>> differently on the "Pro" version.
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>> Maurice Helwig
>>
>> KR5030310 doesn't install CoPilot
>>
>> Copilot is an update that is deployed by Windows 11 22H2 Configuration
>> Update - 'Get updates as soon as available'. W11-CU was initially
>> deployed to Windows 11 in May 2023.
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/september-26-2023-windows-configuration-update-542780c2-594c-46cb-979d-11116fe164ba
>>

> From reading the above link I think that I will need a Microsoft
> account to get Copilot !!!!!
> I only have windows 11 installed with a "Local Account" on each computer.
>
> Maurice Helwig

No, one needs a MSA(Microsoft Account) to use CoPilot.

Likewise, Windows Backup requires use of an MSA.

'Getting' either is an o/s system component feature.
CoPilot deployed by Windows Configuration(not Windows Update)
Backup deployed by Windows Update(s) released after Aug. 22, 2023 -
(Aug-Preview KB5029331 and Sept Update KB5030211)

Too many folks are refer to Copilot as an artificial intelligence
feature. It's not that, thinking of it having some degree of
intelligence would be incorrect.

Backup is nothing more than a mechanism for file storage on an MSA's
OneDrive.
For those with M365 Family or Personal Microsoft 365 Office, it might
come in handy(since 1 TB of OneDrive is included the M365 subscription).
For those with only the vanilla flavored MSA(free email, 5 GB OneDrive)
it might not be/is not of any substantial value when Desktop, Documents,
Pictures, Videos and Music are more than 5 GB.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<ufp92f$1jqqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2984&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2984

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 11:28:14 -0400
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:28 UTC

Maurice Helwig wrote on 03-Oct-23 6:06 PM:
> On 4/10/2023 2:53 am, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>> Win11 Pro has the option to 'Pause updates' for period of time(1 to 5
>> weeks). Win11 Home, unlike Pro can only be paused for 1 week.
>>

> Interesting ????????
>
> Both of my "home" installs of Windows 11 Home can pause updates for up to
> 8 weeks as can my Windows 11 Pro computer.
>
> Maurice helwig

Windows pause feature is 35 days(5 weeks) for Pro, 7 days(1 wk Home).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<uha7sq$1n8d9$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3201

From: invalid@invalid.net (J-Drummond)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:01:56 +0000
 by: J-Drummond - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:01 UTC

On 01/10/2023 06:30, Maurice Helwig wrote:
> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
> applied )

So make use of the image backup? What is the point of creating
an image backup if you don't want to use it?

Re: Copilot in Windows 11 home and Pro editions

<uhaha0$k2hq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3204&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3204

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 03:49:19 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:49 UTC

On 10/25/2023 1:01 AM, J-Drummond wrote:
> On 01/10/2023 06:30, Maurice Helwig wrote:
>> September Preview update -- KB5030310 Installed on my experimental
>> computer last week. ( Image backup done as a precaution before update
>> applied )
>>
> So make use of the image backup? What is the point of creating
> an image backup if you don't want to use it?

So far, Copilot is as much excitement and fun, as the
empty Home and Gallery folders :-) I've tried and tried, but
so far with my W11Home, absolutely nothing will live in those folders.

I can't run away with my hair on fire, unless there was actually a fire.
(And I actually had hair)

I would agree that you would access your backup, if an "update" zorched
some user files. Which could happen. Microsoft doesn't have a perfect
track record on this.

Paul