From: luca@no.spam.invalid (Luca)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Subject: Screen won't turn off if timeout is set for more than 10 minutes
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 01:30:13 +0200
 by: Luca - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 23:30 UTC

I have this weirdo: if I set more than 10 minutes as the timeout for turning
off my screen, it won't work. With 11 or more minutes the screen stays on
forever, while it turns off regularly with 10 minutes or less.

I can set the timeout either in Control Panel/Power options, or in the
Settings/System/Power and battery section, whatever, the result is the same.
It doesn't make any sense.

Where should look to find a solution?

Tnx.

Luca - e-mail: p.stevens at libero.it

Re: Screen won't turn off if timeout is set for more than 10 minutes

<ufif7g$3r47r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2962&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#2962

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:30:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 01:30 UTC

On 10/2/2023 7:30 PM, Luca wrote:

> I have this weirdo: if I set more than 10 minutes as the timeout for turning
> off my screen, it won't work. With 11 or more minutes the screen stays on
> forever, while it turns off regularly with 10 minutes or less.
>
> I can set the timeout either in Control Panel/Power options, or in the
> Settings/System/Power and battery section, whatever, the result is the same.
> It doesn't make any sense.
>
> Where should look to find a solution?
>
> Tnx.

I would have to guess, you have installed a "tweaker" software
or some active software of some sort, which is interested
in the same setting, as the regular OS screen sleep control.
That's the only thing that comes to mind.

This article, mentions that as Administrator, you c run:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/screen-wont-turn-off-after-specified-time

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

then attempt to set the screen interval back to 20 minutes
and see what happens.

When you play a video, the video player can assert a power control
which keeps the screen running. A movie will play for two hours,
without the screen going black, and without moving the mouse to
keep it awake. That is an example of a feature that blocks sleep
or suspend.

Paul

Re: Screen won't turn off if timeout is set for more than 10 minutes

<2pukii9fcg047dlaq4m4sfv1mt5g1gof1o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3064&group=alt.comp.os.windows-11#3064

From: luca@no.spam.invalid (Luca)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 13:41:16 +0200
 by: Luca - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 11:41 UTC

Paul:

> On 10/2/2023 7:30 PM, Luca wrote:
> >
> > I have this weirdo: if I set more than 10 minutes as the timeout for turning
> > off my screen, it won't work. With 11 or more minutes the screen stays on
> > forever, while it turns off regularly with 10 minutes or less.
> >
> > I can set the timeout either in Control Panel/Power options, or in the
> > Settings/System/Power and battery section, whatever, the result is the same.
> > It doesn't make any sense.
> >
> > Where should look to find a solution?
> >
> > Tnx.
> >

> I would have to guess, you have installed a "tweaker" software
> or some active software of some sort, which is interested
> in the same setting, as the regular OS screen sleep control.
> That's the only thing that comes to mind.
>
> This article, mentions that as Administrator, you c run:
>
> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/screen-wont-turn-off-after-specified-time
>
> powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. At a price: it wiped off all
combinations except the "Balanced" one in Control Panel/Power Options, while
it seems that I can still select other options (Best efficiency or
performance) via Settings/System/Power and battery.

Anyway, curiosity still remain about what kind of software interference could
decide that I can't wait any longer than 10 minutes to see my screen turn
blank. So weird.

Luca - e-mail: p.stevens at libero.it