From: anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,alt.comp
Subject: Re: Better colorscheme than Solarized?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:34:57 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 13:34 UTC

Blue-Maned_Hawk:

> I'm looking for a color scheme that's better than
> Solarized. While i do like Solarized (especially
> the 256-color Solarized), there are a few problems
> that i have with it, such as the way that the
> palette fails to map to the traditional 16-color
> palette and the somewhat strange imbalances in
> some of the colors.

I have never seen a 256-color version, nor am inter-
ested in it. The one I know is 16-color:

https://github.com/altercation/solarized

And I don't think it is as good as advertised:

1. Some colors are too similar (red and orange).

2. The light version has perceptually less contrast
than the dark one.

3. The brighnesses are overequalised, whereas some
variation is desirable.

4. The hues and saturations are chosed using the LAB
color model, which, although perceptive, has its
imperfections. The human is the ultimate judge.

> So what i'm looking for is a color scheme like
> this:
>
> -- About the same level of contrast as Solarized
>
> -- Easily invertible, like what Solarized does
>
> -- Maps to the traditional 16-color palette (i.e.
> has bright and darks of the primaries, secon-
> daries, black, and white)
>
> -- Colors are balanced and not biased towards any
> particular color (e.g. not warm- or cool-lean-
> ing)
>
> -- Doesn't make assumptions about how it will be
> used (e.g. doesn't go "red should be more in-
> tense because it's often used for warnings" or
> some bullshit like that)
>
> Does anyone know of something that fits the bill?

No, and I checked lots of ANSI-compatible palettes.
Very manage so much as barely to work in Far, Nor-
ton, and Midnight Commander. I am currenly working
on a improved version of the standard eye-piercing
ANSI palatte with most of your goals except in-
versibility.

P.S.: I can read your articles in Sylpheed, but dis-
approve of their format.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments