Life is a game. Money is how we keep score. -- Ted Turner

computers / alt.os.linux / Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..

SubjectAuthor
* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
+* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|`* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
| `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|  `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   +* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|   |`* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   | `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|   |  `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   |   `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|   |    +- Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   |    `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|   |     `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   |      `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|   |       `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   |        `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   |         `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Paul
|   |          `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
|   |           `- Dead-end was Re: Boss-Gt-1000bad sector
|   `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?Edmund
|    `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..bad sector
|     `* Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..Edmund
|      `- Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..bad sector
+- Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?bad sector
`- Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundlewarebad sector

1
Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<seOcnWCCy8b1CKz5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2780&group=alt.os.linux#2780

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 12:25:11 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
Subject: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?
 by: bad sector - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 16:25 UTC

Anybody know if the microcancer oriented Boss-Gt-1000 guitar effects
bundleware works under wine? I'm thinking of wine because vBox requires
a microcancer installation which I no longer have (have the media
though). Wine apparently does not, but then any proprietary drivers (if
used) don't work under wine.

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u0sdke$1c6m9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2786&group=alt.os.linux#2786

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:00:29 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 19:00 UTC

On 4/8/2023 12:25 PM, bad sector wrote:

> Anybody know if the microcancer oriented Boss-Gt-1000 guitar effects bundleware works under wine? I'm thinking of wine because vBox requires a microcancer installation which I no longer have (have the media though). Wine apparently does not, but then any proprietary drivers (if used) don't work under wine.

"USB audio/MIDI interface for computer-based recording and editing"

So the first thing, is seeing whether the USB audio even registers.
lsusb and friends.

Now, the nice thing about USB and VirtualBox, is the USB Passthru.
Which can easily pass the hardware thru to a Guest OS. That's
a good thing.

But as for the rest of it, there could be *plenty* of
sharp edges to cut yourself on, in this description, when
using WINE. On the one hand, it all *seems* to be about
as complex as a hand calculator, but you don't know what
corners were cut, and what ecosystem conveniences were used,
that WINE can't cope with.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/gt-1000/

VBox may make it run, but the "RT aspects" may make it less
than palatable. I would think WINE would be a stretch. If the
audio is "ordinary enough", it might just work, but like
something like Audacity, routing audio into WINE might be
a challenge to get right (ALSA to PulseAudio or Pipewire, then
into WINE). Like, imagine in your mind, the strawman of
running Windows Audacity under WINE. How much hair would
you lose doing that ??? It would be a hair shower. You'd have
to put a fresh bag on the vacuum cleaner :-) It would likely
be some sort of namespace hell.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<K2GdnUTJ0v8WWqz5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2788&group=alt.os.linux#2788

Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 15:58:58 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 19:58 UTC

On 4/8/23 15:00, Paul wrote:
> On 4/8/2023 12:25 PM, bad sector wrote:
>>
>> Anybody know if the microcancer oriented Boss-Gt-1000 guitar effects
>> bundleware works under wine? I'm thinking of wine because vBox
>> requires a microcancer installation which I no longer have (have the
>> media though). Wine apparently does not, but then any proprietary
>> drivers (if used) don't work under wine.
>>

> "USB audio/MIDI interface for computer-based recording and editing"
>
> So the first thing, is seeing whether the USB audio even registers.
> lsusb and friends.
>
> Now, the nice thing about USB and VirtualBox, is the USB Passthru.
> Which can easily pass the hardware thru to a Guest OS. That's
> a good thing.
>
> But as for the rest of it, there could be *plenty* of
> sharp edges to cut yourself on, in this description, when
> using WINE. On the one hand, it all *seems* to be about
> as complex as a hand calculator, but you don't know what
> corners were cut, and what ecosystem conveniences were used,
> that WINE can't cope with.
>
> https://www.boss.info/global/products/gt-1000/
>
> VBox may make it run, but the "RT aspects" may make it less
> than palatable. I would think WINE would be a stretch. If the
> audio is "ordinary enough", it might just work, but like
> something like Audacity, routing audio into WINE might be
> a challenge to get right (ALSA to PulseAudio or Pipewire, then
> into WINE). Like, imagine in your mind, the strawman of
> running Windows Audacity under WINE. How much hair would
> you lose doing that ??? It would be a hair shower. You'd have
> to put a fresh bag on the vacuum cleaner :-) It would likely
> be some sort of namespace hell.
>
>    Paul

Thanks, there are actually three sides to the nighmare: the USB
interface and drivers, the so called Boss-Tone-Farm software allowing
one to copy-paste presets all over the place, and the presets creation
software that allows one to do all manner of control and preset creation
witchery with the computer. The bummer is that the thing costs like
$1500 cad and I'm not keen on buying it first only to find out that it
won't work. Did that to the tune of some $300 with my Me-80 nine years
ago and have been calling myself and Boss names for a hundred and eight
months.

They also make Macware for the iron though. I know diddley about Macs
but ran into this courageous statement: "you can run macOS on a virtual
device on your Linux machine. A properly-installed virtualized macOS
environment will run all macOS apps without issue" @

https://www.maketecheasier.com/run-mac-apps-on-linux/

There again, I'd probably need the Mac installation media to set up
vBox. I set it up once for w7 but forget the details, I think it
accessed an installed w7 system at least for the time of vBox creation.

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u0t6bv$1ioce$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2797&group=alt.os.linux#2797

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 22:02:37 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 02:02 UTC

On 4/8/2023 3:58 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/8/23 15:00, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/8/2023 12:25 PM, bad sector wrote:
>>>
>>> Anybody know if the microcancer oriented Boss-Gt-1000 guitar effects bundleware works under wine? I'm thinking of wine because vBox requires a microcancer installation which I no longer have (have the media though). Wine apparently does not, but then any proprietary drivers (if used) don't work under wine.
>>>

>> "USB audio/MIDI interface for computer-based recording and editing"
>>
>> So the first thing, is seeing whether the USB audio even registers.
>> lsusb and friends.
>>
>> Now, the nice thing about USB and VirtualBox, is the USB Passthru.
>> Which can easily pass the hardware thru to a Guest OS. That's
>> a good thing.
>>
>> But as for the rest of it, there could be *plenty* of
>> sharp edges to cut yourself on, in this description, when
>> using WINE. On the one hand, it all *seems* to be about
>> as complex as a hand calculator, but you don't know what
>> corners were cut, and what ecosystem conveniences were used,
>> that WINE can't cope with.
>>
>> https://www.boss.info/global/products/gt-1000/
>>
>> VBox may make it run, but the "RT aspects" may make it less
>> than palatable. I would think WINE would be a stretch. If the
>> audio is "ordinary enough", it might just work, but like
>> something like Audacity, routing audio into WINE might be
>> a challenge to get right (ALSA to PulseAudio or Pipewire, then
>> into WINE). Like, imagine in your mind, the strawman of
>> running Windows Audacity under WINE. How much hair would
>> you lose doing that ??? It would be a hair shower. You'd have
>> to put a fresh bag on the vacuum cleaner :-) It would likely
>> be some sort of namespace hell.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Thanks, there are actually three sides to the nighmare: the USB interface and drivers, the so called Boss-Tone-Farm software allowing one to copy-paste presets all over the place, and the presets creation software that allows one to do all manner of control and preset creation witchery with the computer. The bummer is that the thing costs like $1500 cad and I'm not keen on buying it first only to find out that it won't work. Did that to the tune of some $300 with my Me-80 nine years ago and have been calling myself and Boss names for a hundred and eight months.
>
> They also make Macware for the iron though. I know diddley about Macs but ran into this courageous statement: "you can run macOS on a virtual device on your Linux machine. A properly-installed virtualized macOS environment will run all macOS apps without issue" @
>
>    https://www.maketecheasier.com/run-mac-apps-on-linux/
>
> There again, I'd probably need the Mac installation media to set up vBox. I set it up once for w7 but forget the details, I think it accessed an installed w7 system at least for the time of vBox creation.

I've never done an Intel MacOS in VBox here, so I
can't tell you what to expect. I would need to find some
reputable source for media, and without an AppleID or the like.

My last legitimately acquired media, was PPC 10.3, which
is useless for experiments. Most of the time, you'd be needing
one of the later Intel versions.

Considering the sum of money involved, I would not buy that
unless my physical platform was supported. You can't be gambling
on some long-shot emulation solution for hardware priced like that.

Even if they recompiled the MacOS version, so it would work in
Linux, the lack of "continued support" would still be a show stopper.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<mxSdnfajZPqJP6_5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2807&group=alt.os.linux#2807

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 07:31:31 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 11:31 UTC

On 4/8/23 22:02, Paul wrote:

> Considering the sum of money involved, I would not buy that
> unless my physical platform was supported. You can't be gambling
> on some long-shot emulation solution for hardware priced like that.
>
> Even if they recompiled the MacOS version, so it would work in
> Linux, the lack of "continued support" would still be a show stopper.
>
>    Paul

I had the Me80-ware running smoothly under vBox-Windows7 but that was
years ago so to refresh my memory I reinstalled a vBox and Win-7 and the
Me80 driver and bundleware in it but am now having issues getting the
driver to work. I next put that aside and threw myself at this script
which supposedly sets up a MacOs in vBox just like that. Seems like a
noble idea but now problems arise from the combination of HUGE file
downloads and my 'community' radio internet connection. I'll come back
when it ends one way or another. I also thought of buying myself a Mac
laptop but that would just compound the money angle and, much worse than
that, the wife having one I would automatically get the role of advisory
station-chief no thanks :-)!

But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's a
couple of links that might be of interest:

https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u0un88$1p8g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2817&group=alt.os.linux#2817

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 11:56:57 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 15:56 UTC

On 4/9/2023 7:31 AM, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/8/23 22:02, Paul wrote:
>
>> Considering the sum of money involved, I would not buy that
>> unless my physical platform was supported. You can't be gambling
>> on some long-shot emulation solution for hardware priced like that.
>>
>> Even if they recompiled the MacOS version, so it would work in
>> Linux, the lack of "continued support" would still be a show stopper.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I had the Me80-ware running smoothly under vBox-Windows7 but that was years ago so to refresh my memory I reinstalled a vBox and Win-7 and the Me80 driver and bundleware in it but am now having issues getting the driver to work. I next put that aside and threw myself at this script which supposedly sets up a MacOs in vBox just like that. Seems like a noble idea but now problems arise from the combination of HUGE file downloads and my 'community' radio internet connection. I'll come back when it ends one way or another. I also thought of buying myself a Mac laptop but that would just compound the money angle and, much worse than that, the wife having one I would automatically get the role of advisory station-chief no thanks :-)!
>
> But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's a couple of links that might be of interest:
>
> https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh

Wow, nice find.

It explains a bit about why VirtualBox is struggling.

Some of the skullduggery might be bypassed by usage of Windows 7,
but Windows 7 VBox is what I use when "it must work" :-) I'm getting
some hangs on higher versions of Windows plus higher versions of VBox.

I have Windows 11 running on Windows 11, using VMWare Workstation Player.
And that's because it has "swtpm", to fool the Guest into thinking a TPM
is present. VirtualBox, at a sufficiently high version number, has
"TPM passthru", which means you need a TPM in hardware for it to work.
Since I multiboot, it's less likely that a TPM passthru would work.

The info about audio not working, that would affect you, and so more than
just the default installation steps might be required.

But generally, virtualization is a kind of fragmented thing, with
a lot of if-then-else built into it. And figuring out what part of it
is broke underneath, that's a challenge. The mention of QEMU KVM, yes,
I've had that running, but interpreting "CPU version", that took a lot
of hours of work, to get something to work properly :-)

Some of this stuff was a lot easier, when the base OS wasn't abusing virtualization.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<2T-dnS8iPIIsmq75nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2823&group=alt.os.linux#2823

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 14:45:05 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 18:45 UTC

On 4/9/23 11:56, Paul wrote:
> On 4/9/2023 7:31 AM, bad sector wrote:

>> But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's
>> a couple of links that might be of interest:
>>
>> https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation
>>
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh
>
> Wow, nice find.
>
> It explains a bit about why VirtualBox is struggling.
>
> Some of the skullduggery might be bypassed by usage of Windows 7,
> but Windows 7 VBox is what I use when "it must work" :-) I'm getting
> some hangs on higher versions of Windows plus higher versions of VBox.
>
> I have Windows 11 running on Windows 11, using VMWare Workstation Player.
> And that's because it has "swtpm", to fool the Guest into thinking a TPM
> is present. VirtualBox, at a sufficiently high version number, has
> "TPM passthru", which means you need a TPM in hardware for it to work.
> Since I multiboot, it's less likely that a TPM passthru would work.
>
> The info about audio not working, that would affect you, and so more than
> just the default installation steps might be required.
>
> But generally, virtualization is a kind of fragmented thing, with
> a lot of if-then-else built into it. And figuring out what part of it
> is broke underneath, that's a challenge. The mention of QEMU KVM, yes,
> I've had that running, but interpreting "CPU version", that took a lot
> of hours of work, to get something to work properly :-)
>
> Some of this stuff was a lot easier, when the base OS wasn't abusing
> virtualization.
>
>    Paul

I'll stick my neck out here a bit, instead of feeding vBox a Windows-7
installation ISO can you just point it to an existing installation to
virtualise into a Linux session?

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u0v9h5$1rvbn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2828&group=alt.os.linux#2828

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 17:08:52 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 21:08 UTC

On 4/9/2023 2:45 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/9/23 11:56, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/9/2023 7:31 AM, bad sector wrote:
>
>>> But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's a couple of links that might be of interest:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation
>>>
>>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh
>>
>> Wow, nice find.
>>
>> It explains a bit about why VirtualBox is struggling.
>>
>> Some of the skullduggery might be bypassed by usage of Windows 7,
>> but Windows 7 VBox is what I use when "it must work" :-) I'm getting
>> some hangs on higher versions of Windows plus higher versions of VBox.
>>
>> I have Windows 11 running on Windows 11, using VMWare Workstation Player.
>> And that's because it has "swtpm", to fool the Guest into thinking a TPM
>> is present. VirtualBox, at a sufficiently high version number, has
>> "TPM passthru", which means you need a TPM in hardware for it to work.
>> Since I multiboot, it's less likely that a TPM passthru would work.
>>
>> The info about audio not working, that would affect you, and so more than
>> just the default installation steps might be required.
>>
>> But generally, virtualization is a kind of fragmented thing, with
>> a lot of if-then-else built into it. And figuring out what part of it
>> is broke underneath, that's a challenge. The mention of QEMU KVM, yes,
>> I've had that running, but interpreting "CPU version", that took a lot
>> of hours of work, to get something to work properly :-)
>>
>> Some of this stuff was a lot easier, when the base OS wasn't abusing virtualization.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I'll stick my neck out here a bit, instead of feeding vBox a Windows-7 installation ISO can you just point it to an existing installation to virtualise into a Linux session?

You'd talking about doing a P2V, taking Win7 inside Linux VBox as a Guest.

Activation is still armed on Windows 7. It's as cranky as WinXP.
The OEM version of the OS (cheaper) is not transferable,
while the Retail one is transferable and you can run it on one machine.

When my previous daily driver motherboard croaked, I couldn't
do anything with the licenses. A write off for the works.

It is Windows 10 and Windows 11, which continue to run
when not activated. I can move a Win11 from my AMD machine
to my Intel machine, the Intel machine has no TPM, and it still
boots and it does not complain. (This works because while Win11
checks for TPM, the setup is not using it at the moment, and that
makes the installation more portable.)

Windows 7 would not be so generous, unfortunately.

You could do a fresh install with a Retail DVD.

You could do a fresh install with a Win7 Refurbished computer DVD,
and the media is very close if not identical, to regular
Microsoft media. It's a hologram DVD. People who do Refurbishing,
buy a kit from Microsoft, and at one time, it came with a DVD you
give to the customer. I had to explicitly ask my refurbisher dude
to give me one :-) I wanted one, just as a "proof of refurbishing"
as it were.

At one time, DigitalRiver had copies of Win7 ISO we were using.

Archive.org will likely have one, but finding it will be part of
the fun.

Heidoc no longer works. It had a hack for Techbench, so you could
get media. But eventually, Microsoft closed the door to that,
and the author of the tool was more than a bit annoyed by it all
(lawyer time).

Microsoft allowed download of Windows 7 ISO, but only if you
typed in a license key. What keys worked ? Well, your Dell
key didn't work. Your HP key didn't work. Your retail install
package you bought, that key would work, but you likely still
have the media that came with it. So the download was limited
to people who "easily already had it" and was prevented for
"people who really needed it". Clever. This is why we had
Heidoc, for the poor unfortunate Dell peeps.

Microsoft has a virtualization web site, called Modern.IE. And
it had a Win7 Enterprise VM. It is not activated. It will run for
a half hour, then reboot, once the 30 day grace period of the
machine is used up. While this is amusing, and kinda fits your
description, it may not be practical enough to keep. When I write
C code, I use a copy of Mingw loaded into one of these.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140622005513/https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

One thing about those, is they already have VirtualBox Additions
added to them. If you "upgrade" the additions, it may upset the
activation logic (even though the OS is not activated).

Everything in life, is like working in a dynamite factory...

When all is said and done, it's probably nothing that DAZ Loader
cannot fix. The MDL site had to resort to some cloaking, so don't
expect any links to work :-) But if you needed a lot of idle
chit-chat, this is the archival site for that :-) You really need
an account to move around in there. No, I don't have any copies
at all of DAZ Loader, so I cannot share a "legit" sha256 with you
or anything. I wouldn't have a clue which linky was good.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-loader-daz-and-svchost.75813/

I was hoping by now, Wikipedia would have an article on Daz Loader,
but still a No. So we cannot enjoy encyclopedic knowledge about it.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<3tOcnYRzdp-e0q75nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2830&group=alt.os.linux#2830

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 19:49:22 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 23:49 UTC

On 4/9/23 17:08, Paul wrote:
> On 4/9/2023 2:45 PM, bad sector wrote:

>> I'll stick my neck out here a bit, instead of feeding vBox a Windows-7
>> installation ISO can you just point it to an existing installation to
>> virtualise into a Linux session?

.... I chopped yours up a bit only to better hang on the the essence :-)

> You'd talking about doing a P2V, taking Win7 inside Linux VBox as a Guest.

Probably way over my head.

> Microsoft allowed download of Windows 7 ISO, but only if you
> typed in a license key. What keys worked ? Well, your Dell
> key didn't work. Your HP key didn't work. Your retail install
> package you bought, that key would work, but you likely still
> have the media that came with it. So the download was limited
> to people who "easily already had it" and was prevented for
> "people who really needed it". Clever. This is why we had
> Heidoc, for the poor unfortunate Dell peeps.

I do have a legit frisby but only to establish some sort of right while
in actual practice I use one of those (or who knows whose) iso.images to
make a DVD.

> https://web.archive.org/web/20140622005513/https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

> https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-loader-daz-and-svchost.75813/

For the last 4-5 years my ONLY need for windows was the Me80 bundleware.
After a break of several months for a twisted finger I'm back with an
almost daily guitar session mostly on Leap or AvLinux but also on the
other 5 distros I use. I work in Linux with Jack, Rosegarden, Audacity
and the popular host of similar musicware BUT to work the guitar 'tone'
I gotta have the (Me80) effects-board computer interface and I can't
just boot up a w7 installation every 5 minutes if not more often. This
is where vBox comes in so handy, it's just another window. Why, even the
mouse arrow freezes at the window border as I leave it, to resume when I
return :-)

Thought I'd outline this to better frame where I'm coming from. I'd like
to upgrade to the GT-1000 board but NO-WAY unless I can make it work the
way I need it to work w. wine or vBox, or...

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u0vll2$1tm97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2831&group=alt.os.linux#2831

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 20:35:45 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 00:35 UTC

On 4/9/2023 7:49 PM, bad sector wrote:

> Thought I'd outline this to better frame where I'm coming from. I'd like to upgrade to the GT-1000 board but NO-WAY unless I can make it work the way I need it to work w. wine or vBox, or...

Apparently, you can run the Boss software in evaluation mode.

This means, you could do some amount of test, without device in hand.

But, see the info close to the very bottom of the page.
Something about "min OS supported on latest releases".

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=973463af9af4cc9a3662ff75daec50cc&topic=23595.0

Apparently the device works without a computer, so does not
need to be tethered like a bad dog. But that's probably not
why you pay that kind of money for the thing.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<yaudndKIv6w28a75nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2832&group=alt.os.linux#2832

Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 21:55:55 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 01:55 UTC

On 4/9/23 20:35, Paul wrote:
> On 4/9/2023 7:49 PM, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Thought I'd outline this to better frame where I'm coming from. I'd
>> like to upgrade to the GT-1000 board but NO-WAY unless I can make it
>> work the way I need it to work w. wine or vBox, or...
>>

> Apparently, you can run the Boss software in evaluation mode.
>
> This means, you could do some amount of test, without device in hand.
>
> But, see the info close to the very bottom of the page.
> Something about "min OS supported on latest releases".
>
> https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=973463af9af4cc9a3662ff75daec50cc&topic=23595.0
>

> Apparently the device works without a computer, so does not
> need to be tethered like a bad dog. But that's probably not
> why you pay that kind of money for the thing.
>
>    Paul

They all work without a computer, but...

The software usually comes in two parts: driver and bundleware. In this
case the bundleware also splits into two parts: one allows the
downloading of presets to your computer where you can organise them (you
might even be able to do this with just a web navigator). The second
part (and this one requires the driver) allows you to inject/extract
presets into/from the hardware chip and/or to edit the content live in
those chips (instead of turning buttons on the glorified stomp-box).

Electric guitars are ALL about tone, and preset tones. Many come bundled
others you can download from the Boss Tone Studio (typical tone-farm).
You can also create them or edit them on the hardware nowadays mostly
with its own little touch-screen but it's a hundred times easier on a
computer monitor with a mouse. Without the driver what you can do with
the computer is very limited, my experience with the Me80, I haven't
explored the newer ones yet.

I'm not a fan of 'insane-noise' and this very colorful aussie
'personality' shows probably more than what you wanna know as an example
of *plying the waves* on an effect-board's computer bundleware :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXAp4mVUNwA

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u0vstd$21gh1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2833&group=alt.os.linux#2833

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2023 22:39:40 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 02:39 UTC

On 4/9/2023 8:35 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 4/9/2023 7:49 PM, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Thought I'd outline this to better frame where I'm coming from. I'd like to upgrade to the GT-1000 board but NO-WAY unless I can make it work the way I need it to work w. wine or vBox, or...
>>

> Apparently, you can run the Boss software in evaluation mode.
>
> This means, you could do some amount of test, without device in hand.
>
> But, see the info close to the very bottom of the page.
> Something about "min OS supported on latest releases".
>
> https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=973463af9af4cc9a3662ff75daec50cc&topic=23595.0
>
> Apparently the device works without a computer, so does not
> need to be tethered like a bad dog. But that's probably not
> why you pay that kind of money for the thing.
>
>    Paul

Setting up Windows 10 in VirtualBox will be easier,
as the download of Windows 10 is not restricted.

Anyone can get a copy.

You don't need a Microsoft Account (MSA) either or to
type in an email address. You can use a local account
during the post-install setup phase. For example, the
Windows 10 Pro sequence looks like this at one point.

Win10 Pro

https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/articles/02S6wGx179Vj69FVVjv9BsK-5.fit_lim.size_1047x.png

(Win10 Home - unplug LAN cable to cause this to happen... )

https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/articles/02S6wGx179Vj69FVVjv9BsK-8.fit_lim.size_1047x.png

Since you'll be installing into a virtual machine Guest,
it does not matter whether the ISO is 3.5GB or 5.0GB. No
media need be burned, when working with VirtualBox. You would
tell your VirtualBox to use the ISO file for the virtual DVD drive.
(Making media, is only if you're installing on a Physical machine.)

If your Internet account has bandwidth limits, a public library
might have good download rates.

# W10 22H2 (multi-OS version, choose Pro or Home at install time)
# (can be 32-bit or 64-bit, 64-bit if CPU can handle it)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Virtual memory 1GB is in theory sufficient, but offering it
a bit more may help with regard to speed. For example, it runs
OK on my laptop with 3GB. But if you don't have excess memory
for guest usage, that's still OK. Even 2GB may be OK, from
a speed perspective. When it is decompressing the media, it
may occasionally use more than one core, but it isn't all that
consistent about usage. It's not as good as 7ZIP during decompression :-)
Yet, the compression type, is very similar to how 7ZIP does it.
(No, it's Microsofts own compressor, not a copy-pasta.)

Then you can fit your trial software, for some device-less testing.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<OMCdnXHeyLF5han5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2844&group=alt.os.linux#2844

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 10:10:44 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
<u0vll2$1tm97$1@dont-email.me> <u0vstd$21gh1$1@dont-email.me>
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 14:10 UTC

On 4/9/23 22:39, Paul wrote:
> On 4/9/2023 8:35 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/9/2023 7:49 PM, bad sector wrote:
>>
>>> Thought I'd outline this to better frame where I'm coming from. I'd
>>> like to upgrade to the GT-1000 board but NO-WAY unless I can make it
>>> work the way I need it to work w. wine or vBox, or...
>>>

>> Apparently, you can run the Boss software in evaluation mode.
>>
>> This means, you could do some amount of test, without device in hand.
>>
>> But, see the info close to the very bottom of the page.
>> Something about "min OS supported on latest releases".
>>
>> https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=973463af9af4cc9a3662ff75daec50cc&topic=23595.0
>>

>> Apparently the device works without a computer, so does not
>> need to be tethered like a bad dog. But that's probably not
>> why you pay that kind of money for the thing.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Setting up Windows 10 in VirtualBox will be easier,
> as the download of Windows 10 is not restricted.
>
> Anyone can get a copy.
>
> You don't need a Microsoft Account (MSA) either or to
> type in an email address. You can use a local account
> during the post-install setup phase. For example, the
> Windows 10 Pro sequence looks like this at one point.
>
>    Win10 Pro
>

> https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/articles/02S6wGx179Vj69FVVjv9BsK-5.fit_lim.size_1047x.png
>

>    (Win10 Home - unplug LAN cable to cause this to happen... )
>

> https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/articles/02S6wGx179Vj69FVVjv9BsK-8.fit_lim.size_1047x.png
>

> Since you'll be installing into a virtual machine Guest,
> it does not matter whether the ISO is 3.5GB or 5.0GB. No
> media need be burned, when working with VirtualBox. You would
> tell your VirtualBox to use the ISO file for the virtual DVD drive.
> (Making media, is only if you're installing on a Physical machine.)
>
> If your Internet account has bandwidth limits, a public library
> might have good download rates.
>
>    # W10 22H2 (multi-OS version, choose Pro or Home at install time)
>    #          (can be 32-bit or 64-bit, 64-bit if CPU can handle it)
>
>    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
>
> Virtual memory 1GB is in theory sufficient, but offering it
> a bit more may help with regard to speed. For example, it runs
> OK on my laptop with 3GB. But if you don't have excess memory
> for guest usage, that's still OK. Even 2GB may be OK, from
> a speed perspective. When it is decompressing the media, it
> may occasionally use more than one core, but it isn't all that
> consistent about usage. It's not as good as 7ZIP during decompression :-)
> Yet, the compression type, is very similar to how 7ZIP does it.
> (No, it's Microsofts own compressor, not a copy-pasta.)
>
> Then you can fit your trial software, for some device-less testing.
>
>    Paul

Thank you (I think), the last thing I need is yet another learning curve
but I see some VM 'apps' here. Would this be the way to go? Is this what
I have to cram up on?

https://fixthephoto.com/best-virtual-machine-for-linux.html

If I understand right a VM-handler or manager or creator is an 'app' of
sorts which I install under Linux and which then opens a window not
unlike vBox does but that window IS for all intent and purpose another
iron-box which I then install windows in?

And why would w10 be better than w7 (in this respect)? w7 does all I
need, windows-X was actually my favorite but it don't run on today-iron
no more.

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u11cvk$281r4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2845&group=alt.os.linux#2845

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 12:20:05 -0400
<u0vll2$1tm97$1@dont-email.me> <u0vstd$21gh1$1@dont-email.me>
<OMCdnXHeyLF5han5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Paul - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:20 UTC

On 4/10/2023 10:10 AM, bad sector wrote:
> [...]
>> Yet, the compression type, is very similar to how 7ZIP does it.
>> (No, it's Microsofts own compressor, not a copy-pasta.)
>>
>> Then you can fit your trial software, for some device-less testing.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Thank you (I think), the last thing I need is yet another learning curve but I see some VM 'apps' here. Would this be the way to go? Is this what I have to cram up on?
>
> https://fixthephoto.com/best-virtual-machine-for-linux.html
>
> If I understand right a VM-handler or manager or creator is an 'app' of sorts which I install under Linux and which then opens a window not unlike vBox does but that window IS for all intent and purpose another iron-box which I then install windows in?
>
> And why would w10 be better than w7 (in this respect)? w7 does all I need, windows-X was actually my favorite but it don't run on today-iron no more.

The problem is, I see a user saying the latest version of the
Boss software, doesn't run on Windows 7. Don't ask me why
or how, such a requirement would come along. It does not make
sense particularly.

You may want to research that, before installing your OS.
Find out how "real" the OS exclusion is, and whether it merely
means the software wasn't tested on Windows 7. Versus, won't
run on Windows 7. Only a Metro App won't run on Windows 7.
It might run if it was a Universal App.

As for the "fixthephoto" article, you have two requirements:

1) Hosting software that is free.

2) Hosting software that supports USB passthru at the packet level.
(Microsoft has some USB capability, but it's only for particular
device classes and not universal. The VirtualBox method on the
other hand, makes no distinction on device, it could even be
using a custom USB driver in the Guest and not recognizable at
all by the host.)

If you did not have a USB passthru requirement, then yes, I would
agree that becoming an expert at picking hosting softwares would
be a useful skill. But the thing is, not many hosting softwares
can solve your problem. I don't think QEMU KVM, for all of its
positive attributes, has USB passthru.

Even tougher, would be running an OS that wants a TPM. Windows 10
does not absolutely need a TPM. The Windows 11 installer wants you
to have one. VMWare Workstation Player, happens to have "swtpm"
code module, written by IBM. And that is sufficient to fool Windows 11
as a Guest :-) Whereas VirtualBox, the newest version, has TPM passthru,
and you still need a hardware TPM, to fool a Guest into thinking
a TPM is present. TPMs can be used to measure a boot, but they
can also be part of secrets used for encryption as well.

At the moment, VirtualBox is the closest to what you can use. It has:

1) A GUI, and minimal annoyance to get a Guest installed.
There are better GUIs, but not attached to useful software (unfortunately).

Linux has other Hosting softwares based on KVM, but the
interface will drive you up the wall. They give you plenty
of choices, but you can't figure out what the choices are for.
And at least one of the settings, was counterintuitive. I just
had to test the damn things, until "one worked better than the other",
and then I could move on.

2) USB Passthru at the packet level.
Getting the USB Passthru to work, now, that's annoying.
I've had to install, like three times, before I got it to work.

It remains to be seen, whether any audio that comes out of the
Guest, arrives unblemished while you are listening to it.
Maybe that isn't an absolute requirement. Now that there is Pipewire
and Pulseaudio, I suppose more experiments will be required.

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<liCdnQ5WUuZn66n5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2853&group=alt.os.linux#2853

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 16:52:10 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:52 UTC

On 4/10/23 12:20, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>    There are better GUIs, but not attached to useful software
> (unfortunately).
>
>    Linux has other Hosting softwares based on KVM, but the
>    interface will drive you up the wall. They give you plenty
>    of choices, but you can't figure out what the choices are for.
>    And at least one of the settings, was counterintuitive. I just
>    had to test the damn things, until "one worked better than the other",
>    and then I could move on.
>
> 2) USB Passthru at the packet level.
>    Getting the USB Passthru to work, now, that's annoying.
>    I've had to install, like three times, before I got it to work.
>
> It remains to be seen, whether any audio that comes out of the
> Guest, arrives unblemished while you are listening to it.
> Maybe that isn't an absolute requirement. Now that there is Pipewire
> and Pulseaudio, I suppose more experiments will be required.

I got windows audio coming through OK on vBox, my Me80 doesn't produce
any audio as-such in the computer. Some of the Tone-Farm artists playing
their presets do get shown in the bundleware but that part is passed to
the default web-navigator (I think)

>    Paul

The w-10 download is slower than a dead dog on my connection, in the
meanwhile just to *kick the tires* as it were...

I installed Boxes, it went fairly well until I tried to create a w7
machine from an ISO file. It was so slow at the "Expanding Windows
Files" stage that at first I thought it was totally hung. It's now at
47% :-)))

Much more importantly, where and how does one tell Boxes where to use
disk space? I'v got tons of it but Boxes just sez it's going to use
disk-0. How can I tell it to use a specific drive and partition either
for all of its machines or on a per machine basis and either when
running from any distro or on a per-distro Boxes installation basis?

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<hpadnUH47YFz5qn5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2854&group=alt.os.linux#2854

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 17:13:17 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:13 UTC

On 4/10/23 16:52, bad sector wrote:

> Much more importantly, where and how does one tell Boxes where to use
> disk space? I'v got tons of it but Boxes just sez it's going to use
> disk-0. How can I tell it to use a specific drive and partition either
> for all of its machines or on a per machine basis and either when
> running from any distro or on a per-distro Boxes installation basis?

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-boxes/stable/disk-images.html.en

"By default, Boxes stores disk images in the folder
~/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images/"

So my plan-A is to move each image to a data disk and link to it,
plan-Ab is to link to the same image from different instances of Boxes.

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u12871$2c5lg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2859&group=alt.os.linux#2859

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:04:48 -0400
<u0vll2$1tm97$1@dont-email.me> <u0vstd$21gh1$1@dont-email.me>
<OMCdnXHeyLF5han5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>
<u11cvk$281r4$1@dont-email.me>
<liCdnQ5WUuZn66n5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>
<hpadnUH47YFz5qn5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 00:04 UTC

On 4/10/2023 5:13 PM, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/10/23 16:52, bad sector wrote:
>
>> Much more importantly, where and how does one tell Boxes where to use disk space? I'v got tons of it but Boxes just sez it's going to use disk-0. How can I tell it to use a specific drive and partition either for all of its machines or on a per machine basis and either when running from any distro or on a per-distro Boxes installation basis?
>
> https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-boxes/stable/disk-images.html.en
>
> "By default, Boxes stores disk images in the folder ~/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images/"
>
> So my plan-A is to move each image to a data disk and link to it, plan-Ab is to link to the same image from different instances of Boxes.

When I tried it here, it takes about three minutes to unpack or so, on three cores.
First reboot is at 4 minute mark. The final desktop appeared at around 13 minutes or so.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/5yzRrQBq/win7pro-sp1-gnome-boxes.gif

I put the ISO and the container in RAM. Doesn't make
any difference really.

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=1777,size=56320M 0 0

Linked /tmp/win7 container to the images folder as...

ln -s /tmp/win7 win7

Now I have to store it somewhere, if wanting to use it later.

There would be 30 days grace, for no-license operation, followed
by two rearms. For a total of 90 days. But timing the rearms to
get exactly 90 days, takes "dedication".

slmgr.vbs -rearm

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk # WinXp rearm command

Paul

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<U9CcnS5QB_GwJKn5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2860&group=alt.os.linux#2860

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 21:34:37 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 01:34 UTC

On 4/10/23 20:04, Paul wrote:
> On 4/10/2023 5:13 PM, bad sector wrote:

>> "By default, Boxes stores disk images in the folder
>> ~/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images/"
>>
>> So my plan-A is to move each image to a data disk and link to it,
>> plan-Ab is to link to the same image from different instances of Boxes.
>
> When I tried it here, it takes about three minutes to unpack or so, on
> three cores.
> First reboot is at 4 minute mark. The final desktop appeared at around
> 13 minutes or so.

Talking about Gnome-Boxes and not Adobe-vBox:

w7 install
unpacks finished & 1st start = 53 minutes
all done = 59 minutes

Attempting to install Me80 driver failed
(dialog remained hung open). Essentially the
same as with Oracle-vBox (my earlier remark
about that working was a mistake, it was the
real w7 install that worked, not the virtual)

Could not cancel as that would lead into a reboot
but w10 iso is already being downloaded with w7
(will take late into evening)

Dead-end was Re: Boss-Gt-1000

<QqKcnaMP-o8Gpaj5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2873&group=alt.os.linux#2873

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 06:38:18 -0400
Subject: Dead-end was Re: Boss-Gt-1000
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:38 UTC

On 4/10/23 21:34, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/10/23 20:04, Paul wrote:
>> On 4/10/2023 5:13 PM, bad sector wrote:
>
>>> "By default, Boxes stores disk images in the folder
>>> ~/.local/share/gnome-boxes/images/"
>>>
>>> So my plan-A is to move each image to a data disk and link to it,
>>> plan-Ab is to link to the same image from different instances of Boxes.
>>
>> When I tried it here, it takes about three minutes to unpack or so, on
>> three cores.
>> First reboot is at 4 minute mark. The final desktop appeared at around
>> 13 minutes or so.
>
> Talking about Gnome-Boxes and not Adobe-vBox:
>
> w7 install
> unpacks finished & 1st start = 53 minutes
> all done = 59 minutes
>
> Attempting to install Me80 driver failed
> (dialog remained hung open). Essentially the
> same as with Oracle-vBox (my earlier remark
> about that working was a mistake, it was the
> real w7 install that worked, not the virtual)
>
> Could not cancel as that would lead into a reboot
> but w10 iso is already being downloaded with w7
> (will take late into evening)

That w10 download attempted from a w7 running under
Gnome-Boxes will not go above 2.5gb, I will not repeat
the mistake of buying any OS or Roland-Boss product
without first having tested with positive results the
USB drivers in a virtual guest OS under Linux. So
I'm pulling this from the roster for the time being
in order to look at MacOS avenues and will post a new
thread then.

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<xvOcnYJPfKCIFqf5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2927&group=alt.os.linux#2927

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 07:31:31 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Sat, 15 Apr 2023 11:31 UTC

On 4/8/23 12:25, bad sector wrote:

> Anybody know if the microcancer oriented Boss-Gt-1000 guitar effects
> bundleware works under wine? I'm thinking of wine because vBox requires
> a microcancer installation which I no longer have (have the media
> though). Wine apparently does not, but then any proprietary drivers (if
> used) don't work under wine.

Just as an afterthought and for those who might be googling the topic,
there's a linux uti called WoeUSB that will make a windows-10 bootable
usb (just be very sure about the usb path you give to it). Someone made
me one with another uti called Ventoy but it would not boot, then I made
one with WoeUSB and IT bombed on a file-corruption error (in the DL'd
iso file) that the other one had obviously missed. Another topic of
interest being USB-passthrough in which some immortal suse devs had
sniffed out a bug and took measures to fence it in somewhat (look it up,
I can't find it right now). Finally as I was not familiar with Macs I
was lost a bit about their OS naming convention: The OS is called MacOs
usually with an appended version number so that ascending you get the
newer edition. Each such upgrade also gets a name, a bit like in some
Linux distros, the latest one Ventura is without any number yet.

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware

<SSCdnUxvCLWS_qH5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2945&group=alt.os.linux#2945

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 17:05:19 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID_.net (bad sector)
Subject: Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 21:05 UTC

On 4/8/23 12:25, bad sector wrote:

> Anybody know if the microcancer oriented Boss-Gt-1000 guitar effects
> bundleware works under wine? I'm thinking of wine because vBox requires
> a microcancer installation which I no longer have (have the media
> though). Wine apparently does not, but then any proprietary drivers (if
> used) don't work under wine.

See my vBox7 post, with this I'm almost confident that at leat on w7 I
will be able to do gt1000 (heard rumblings that it might have to be w10)

Oh yeah, if w7 is a nuisance when on-line, take it up with Roland/Boss,
THEY (totally bent-over the microcancer brass-bed) are the ones forcing
the use of not only windows but possibly a higher version of windows!

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under wine?

<u1j8na$30k5d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2955&group=alt.os.linux#2955

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:57:46 +0200
 by: Edmund - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 10:57 UTC

On 4/9/23 13:31, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/8/23 22:02, Paul wrote:
>
>> Considering the sum of money involved, I would not buy that
>> unless my physical platform was supported. You can't be gambling
>> on some long-shot emulation solution for hardware priced like that.
>>
>> Even if they recompiled the MacOS version, so it would work in
>> Linux, the lack of "continued support" would still be a show stopper.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I had the Me80-ware running smoothly under vBox-Windows7 but that was years ago so to refresh my memory I reinstalled a vBox and Win-7 and the Me80 driver and bundleware in it but am now having issues getting the driver to work. I next put that aside
> and threw myself at this script which supposedly sets up a MacOs in vBox just like that. Seems like a noble idea but now problems arise from the combination of HUGE file downloads and my 'community' radio internet connection. I'll come back when it
> ends one way or another. I also thought of buying myself a Mac laptop but that would just compound the money angle and, much worse than that, the wife having one I would automatically get the role of advisory station-chief no thanks :-)!
>
> But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's a couple of links that might be of interest:
>
> https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh

I once configured a Hackingtosh which worked great until I did an update...
Now I am looking a Proxmox which gives at lot of possibilities and since yesterday
I had some success with setting it up with that passtrough stuff.
Definitely worth looking at if you are interested in VM and running other OSes.

--
The moment any organization established from pure noble intentions get some influence, it will be corrupted from both inside and outside.
Then we have organizations established from pure evil.

Edmund

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..

<cuGcndvW6f0qSaD5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2957&group=alt.os.linux#2957

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:22:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
From: forgetski@INVALID.net (bad sector)
 by: bad sector - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 23:22 UTC

On 4/17/23 08:29, Edmund wrote:
> On 4/17/23 14:03, bad sector wrote:

>>> I once configured a Hackingtosh which worked great until I did an
>>> update...
>>> Now I am looking a Proxmox which gives at lot of possibilities and
>>> since yesterday
>>> I had some success with setting it up with that passtrough stuff.
>>> Definitely worth looking at if you are interested in VM and running
>>> other OSes.
>>
>> The key move is getting the MacOS iso, I don't run a Mac, the wife
>> does. I wuz thinking using her laptop to DL the file and convert it to
>> an iso as per here:
>>
>> https://macpaw.com/how-to/create-iso-file
>>
>>  From what I've beren able to hear when I listen is that it will only
>> work on a Mac hardware?
>
> It is possible to get hold of MAC software even without a mac. I runs
> fine on compatible hardware
> that isn't mac's own. Under bare metal VM-servers like proxmox it's a
> lot easier and way easier
> to restore in case something goes wrong.
> I just did a Win restore in about 2 minutes, maybe less.
>
> Here have fun
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc68sflJano&t=95s

nice jug of brew :-)

too high, too fast, and lingo too hard for me to follow

I've made some progress with vBox, next I might try KVM, after that
we'll see

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..

<4tCcnfsYeZgZqKD5nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2959&group=alt.os.linux#2959

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 08:03:16 -0400
From: forgetski@_INVALID_.net (bad sector)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
 by: bad sector - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:03 UTC

On 4/17/23 06:57, Edmund wrote:
> On 4/9/23 13:31, bad sector wrote:
>> On 4/8/23 22:02, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Considering the sum of money involved, I would not buy that
>>> unless my physical platform was supported. You can't be gambling
>>> on some long-shot emulation solution for hardware priced like that.
>>>
>>> Even if they recompiled the MacOS version, so it would work in
>>> Linux, the lack of "continued support" would still be a show stopper.
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> I had the Me80-ware running smoothly under vBox-Windows7 but that was
>> years ago so to refresh my memory I reinstalled a vBox and Win-7 and
>> the Me80 driver and bundleware in it but am now having issues getting
>> the driver to work. I next put that aside and threw myself at this
>> script which supposedly sets up a MacOs in vBox just like that. Seems
>> like a noble idea but now problems arise from the combination of HUGE
>> file downloads and my 'community' radio internet connection. I'll come
>> back when it ends one way or another. I also thought of buying myself
>> a Mac laptop but that would just compound the money angle and, much
>> worse than that, the wife having one I would automatically get the
>> role of advisory station-chief no thanks :-)!
>>
>> But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's
>> a couple of links that might be of interest:
>>
>> https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation
>>
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh
>
> I once configured a Hackingtosh which worked great until I did an update...
> Now I am looking a Proxmox which gives at lot of possibilities and since
> yesterday
> I had some success with setting it up with that passtrough stuff.
> Definitely worth looking at if you are interested in VM and running
> other OSes.

The key move is getting the MacOS iso, I don't run a Mac, the wife does.
I wuz thinking using her laptop to DL the file and convert it to an iso
as per here:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/create-iso-file

From what I've beren able to hear when I listen is that it will only
work on a Mac hardware?

--
War, is the school of peace

Re: Boss-Gt-1000 guitar-effects bundleware under..

<u1je2r$31jfv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=2961&group=alt.os.linux#2961

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:29:14 +0200
 by: Edmund - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 12:29 UTC

On 4/17/23 14:03, bad sector wrote:
> On 4/17/23 06:57, Edmund wrote:

>>> I had the Me80-ware running smoothly under vBox-Windows7 but that was years ago so to refresh my memory I reinstalled a vBox and Win-7 and the Me80 driver and bundleware in it but am now having issues getting the driver to work. I next put that
>>> aside and threw myself at this script which supposedly sets up a MacOs in vBox just like that. Seems like a noble idea but now problems arise from the combination of HUGE file downloads and my 'community' radio internet connection. I'll come back
>>> when it ends one way or another. I also thought of buying myself a Mac laptop but that would just compound the money angle and, much worse than that, the wife having one I would automatically get the role of advisory station-chief no thanks :-)!
>>>
>>> But meanwhile for anyone googling for the Mac-in-vBox solution here's a couple of links that might be of interest:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox#documentation
>>>
>>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/myspaghetti/macos-guest-virtualbox/master/macos-guest-virtualbox.sh
>>
>> I once configured a Hackingtosh which worked great until I did an update...
>> Now I am looking a Proxmox which gives at lot of possibilities and since yesterday
>> I had some success with setting it up with that passtrough stuff.
>> Definitely worth looking at if you are interested in VM and running other OSes.
>
> The key move is getting the MacOS iso, I don't run a Mac, the wife does. I wuz thinking using her laptop to DL the file and convert it to an iso as per here:
>
> https://macpaw.com/how-to/create-iso-file
>
> From what I've beren able to hear when I listen is that it will only work on a Mac hardware?

It is possible to get hold of MAC software even without a mac. I runs fine on compatible hardware
that isn't mac's own. Under bare metal VM-servers like proxmox it's a lot easier and way easier
to restore in case something goes wrong.
I just did a Win restore in about 2 minutes, maybe less.

Here have fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc68sflJano&t=95s

Google is NOT our friend but it still helps here