Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux (Unknown source)

computers / microsoft.public.windowsxp.general / Re: Ping: Paul

SubjectAuthor
o Ping: PaulDavid Brooks

1
Re: Ping: Paul

<OEh0M.224143$eRZ7.73262@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3004&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3004

Subject: Re: Ping: Paul
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.computer.workshop
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 21:55:10 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:55 UTC

On 20/04/2023 18:39, Paul wrote:
> On 4/12/2023 6:18 PM, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 12/04/2023 23:14, David Brooks wrote:
>>> Hi Paul 🙂
>>>
>>> How would you answer my question posed here:-
>>>
>>> http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=168133750800
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> My question is in the Subject line of the header!
>>
>> *Would YOU grant access*?
>>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Key_Exchange
>
>    "Most IPsec implementations consist of an IKE daemon that runs in
> user space
>     and an IPsec stack in the kernel that processes the actual IP packets.
>
>     User-space daemons have easy access to mass storage containing
>     configuration information, such as the IPsec endpoint addresses,
>     keys and certificates, as required.
>
>     Kernel modules, on the other hand, can process packets efficiently
>     and with minimum overhead - which is important for performance
> reasons."
>
> Perhaps you should use a "limited account" of some sort, one without admin,
> for credential management ? If there is a key store, it should only
> grant access to keys the limited account can access.
>
> Nobody should be asking you for a root or admin level of access.

I agree - but that's exactly what ClamXAV wants!

> *******
>
> In many ways, this is just as stupid as your existing situation.
>
> You don't really want all the traffic in the hours, spewing out
> of Vladivostok.
>
> The advantage in routing all the traffic, is the session keys could be
> kept inside the broadband modem/router. The session is terminated inside
> the router, un-encrypted packets travel from the router on one side of
> the room, to your PC/Mac. The PC/Mac doesn't know what is going on.
>
> https://www.vpnunlimited.com/help/devices/guide-to-vpn-for-wifi-routers
>
>     VPN Unlimited supports the following routers:
>
>     Asus RT-N16 (Tomato firmware)
>     Asus RT-N66U (Tomato 1.28 by Shibby)
>     Asus (Asuswrt-Merlin)
>     DD-WRT
>     GLiNet Router
>     OpenWrt
>
>     Xiaomi Mi Router 3
>     pfSense
>     TP-Link
>     Padavan
>     MikroTik

Thanks, Paul :-D

I ask these questions because I read many things about 'bad guys'!

https://grahamcluley.com/macstealer-newly-discovered-malware-steals-passwords-and-exfiltrates-data-from-infected-macs/

My ACW newsgroup added!

--
Kind regards,