From: mikes@is.invalid (MikeS)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: stats April 2023
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 13:04:58 +0100
 by: MikeS - Tue, 2 May 2023 12:04 UTC

On 01/05/2023 07:49, The Doctor wrote:
> Group : microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> Statistics : from 4/1/2023 to 4/30/2023
>
> ***** Summary results *****
> Total found messages : 52 for 30 days
> New threads : 32
> Total replies : 20
> Total modified threads : 32
> Total size : 1926261 bytes (1,881.11 KB)
> Total lines : 30406 lines
> Total users : 12
> Average number of messages by user : 4.33
> Average size of messages by user : 160,521.75 bytes (156.76 KB))
> Average number of lines by user : 2,533.83
>
> --
> The lie of USenet is dying is rebuff by these statistics
> Usenet lives or the internet dies

I don't believe usenet is dead but if you actually read your own stats
you would appreciate how much they are skewed by spam.

Re: stats April 2023

<bff25itg7qth3no8knpj5rltmgbd2ik6p3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3013&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3013

From: jersey@giggle.net
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 12:23:48 -0500
 by: jersey@giggle.net - Tue, 2 May 2023 17:23 UTC

On Tue, 2 May 2023 13:04:58 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:

>On 01/05/2023 07:49, The Doctor wrote:
>> Group : microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>> Statistics : from 4/1/2023 to 4/30/2023
>>
>> ***** Summary results *****
>> Total found messages : 52 for 30 days
>> New threads : 32
>> Total replies : 20
>> Total modified threads : 32
>> Total size : 1926261 bytes (1,881.11 KB)
>> Total lines : 30406 lines
>> Total users : 12
>> Average number of messages by user : 4.33
>> Average size of messages by user : 160,521.75 bytes (156.76 KB))
>> Average number of lines by user : 2,533.83
>>
> > --
> > The lie of USenet is dying is rebuff by these statistics
> > Usenet lives or the internet dies
> >
>I don't believe usenet is dead but if you actually read your own stats
>you would appreciate how much they are skewed by spam.

Usenet is dead. None of the dozen or more groups that I used
decades back are alive anymore. About the only groups still used for
the most part are the groups full of angry haters, such as the
politics and religious groups.

One of my providers has over 100,000 groups in it's listing. I went
through some thousands of those groups, loading all available
messages, and almost everyone was dead.

The Web forum is what I think killed Usenet because of the
uninhibited gross behavior possessed by too many posters, which was
ended by the moderation of Web forums. Moderating a newsgroup was
rather rare and too time consuming for the creators of those groups
evidently.

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Level II Basic. That was
about in 1977. DOS was the deal at the time. I didn't go over to
Windows until Windows 3.1, and according to a search I did, 3.1 was
first out in 1992. I changed over when I read that I could have
three programs open at the same time in 3.1. Wow!

One last one, I have tried Web forums. I found out rather quickly
that their so-called "free speech" is anything but. There might be
a few which do tolerate "free speech", but mostly, "free speech" is
now labeled "hate speech".

Just some of my thoughts/opinions/experiences with Usenet.

Re: stats April 2023

<sId4M.3124555$GNG9.2784752@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3014&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general#3014

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 20:42:16 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 2 May 2023 19:42 UTC

On 02/05/2023 18:23, jersey@giggle.net wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2023 13:04:58 +0100, MikeS <mikes@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2023 07:49, The Doctor wrote:
>>> Group : microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>>> Statistics : from 4/1/2023 to 4/30/2023
>>>
>>> ***** Summary results *****
>>> Total found messages : 52 for 30 days
>>> New threads : 32
>>> Total replies : 20
>>> Total modified threads : 32
>>> Total size : 1926261 bytes (1,881.11 KB)
>>> Total lines : 30406 lines
>>> Total users : 12
>>> Average number of messages by user : 4.33
>>> Average size of messages by user : 160,521.75 bytes (156.76 KB))
>>> Average number of lines by user : 2,533.83
>>>
>>> --
>>> The lie of USenet is dying is rebuff by these statistics
>>> Usenet lives or the internet dies
>>>
>> I don't believe usenet is dead but if you actually read your own stats
>> you would appreciate how much they are skewed by spam.
>
> Usenet is dead. None of the dozen or more groups that I used
> decades back are alive anymore. About the only groups still used for
> the most part are the groups full of angry haters, such as the
> politics and religious groups.
>
> One of my providers has over 100,000 groups in it's listing. I went
> through some thousands of those groups, loading all available
> messages, and almost everyone was dead.
>
> The Web forum is what I think killed Usenet because of the
> uninhibited gross behavior possessed by too many posters, which was
> ended by the moderation of Web forums. Moderating a newsgroup was
> rather rare and too time consuming for the creators of those groups
> evidently.
>
> My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 Level II Basic. That was
> about in 1977. DOS was the deal at the time. I didn't go over to
> Windows until Windows 3.1, and according to a search I did, 3.1 was
> first out in 1992. I changed over when I read that I could have
> three programs open at the same time in 3.1. Wow!
>
> One last one, I have tried Web forums. I found out rather quickly
> that their so-called "free speech" is anything but. There might be
> a few which do tolerate "free speech", but mostly, "free speech" is
> now labeled "hate speech".
>
> Just some of my thoughts/opinions/experiences with Usenet.

Hello John! :-)

I'll make you welcome here if you'd care to pop in!

'alt.computer.workshop'

--
Kind regards,
David