From: suzyw0ng@outlook.com (Woozy Song)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux devices are under attack by a never-before-seen worm
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:20:21 +0800
 by: Woozy Song - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 06:20 UTC

Nothing wrote:

> Linux devices are under attack by a never-before-seen worm
>
> <https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/01/a-previously-
> unknown-worm-has-been-stealthily-targeting-linux-devices-
> for-a-year/>

I can't see the point of running crypto-miner on a webcam or other IOT
device. Maybe if you can sneak it onto a Xeon/Epyc.

Re: Linux devices are under attack by a never-before-seen worm

<l11m3aFejpgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3127&group=alt.os.linux#3127

From: user@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:37:30 +0100
 by: J.O. Aho - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:37 UTC

On 20/01/2024 07:20, Woozy Song wrote:
> Nothing wrote:
>>
>> Linux devices are under attack by a never-before-seen worm
>>
>> <https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/01/a-previously-
>> unknown-worm-has-been-stealthily-targeting-linux-devices-
>> for-a-year/>
>>

> I can't see the point of running crypto-miner on a webcam or other IOT
> device. Maybe if you can sneak it onto a Xeon/Epyc.

They mine in pools, so each device is just working on a small part and a
lot of low cpu cameras will manage to mine as much as a high end
desktop, but far less risk of someone discovers what you are doing as in
general people tend to not update firmware as they should and then on
top of that no one runs any av-software or root-kit detectors on IoT
devices.

--
//Aho