"The voters have spoken, the bastards..." -- unknown

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

SubjectAuthor
* iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private modeWally J
`* iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo inJolly Roger
 `* iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private modeWally J
  +* iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo inJolly Roger
  |`* iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private modeWally J
  | +- iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo inJolly Roger
  | `* iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo inAlan
  |  `- iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo inAlan Browne
  `- iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo inDorper

1
Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufpnu6$16992$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3153&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3153

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 15:41:58 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:41 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

>> Microsoft claims Apple said no due to pressure by Google. More likely
>> Apple simply knew it was more buggy Microsloth garbage that they wanted
>> nothing to do with.
>
> Your auto-MS hate triggered on cue... various reviews are quite positive
> on Bing, esp. the ChatGPT enhanced version.

Apple will sell out its users' privacy to the highest bidder, which, for
now, happens to be Google and not Microsoft. Yes. It really is that simple.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<koba9uF2acnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3154&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3154

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in
Safari's private mode
Date: 6 Oct 2023 20:51:11 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:51 UTC

On 2023-10-06, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>>> Microsoft claims Apple said no due to pressure by Google. More
>>> likely Apple simply knew it was more buggy Microsloth garbage that
>>> they wanted nothing to do with.
>>
>> Your auto-MS hate triggered on cue... various reviews are quite
>> positive on Bing, esp. the ChatGPT enhanced version.
>
> Apple will sell out its users' privacy to the highest bidder, which,
> for now, happens to be Google and not Microsoft. Yes. It really is
> that simple.

TIL choosing a default search engine and letting users change it is
"selling out users' privacy". 🤡

JR

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufpsrm$16hst$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3155&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3155

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:05:58 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:05 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

>> Apple will sell out its users' privacy to the highest bidder, which,
>> for now, happens to be Google and not Microsoft. Yes. It really is
>> that simple.
>
> TIL choosing a default search engine and letting users change it is
> "selling out users' privacy".

Hi Jolly Roger,

Statements like that are why I think of you the way I think of you.

However... I will respond to you as any normal adult should. OK?
Think about your assessment from a purely sensibly logical view.

What are the facts you used to form that assessment, Jolly Roger?
Hmmmm.... was *money* involved in your assessment formation?

No?
Why not?

Is money not important to Apple?
More to the point, is it worth it to sell out the users' privacy?

Hmmm....
Tough question... right Jolly Roger?

*Would Apple ever stoop so low as to sell users' privacy to Google?*

Certainly Apple would never _say_ that - but would Apple _do_ that?
Does Apple say one thing... but do another, Jolly Roger?

That is an adult question after all... am I right, Jolly Roger?

*Do you know that Google _paid_ Apple to be the default search engine?*
Probably not.

*Why do you think it was worth so many billions to Google for that?*
If it was so easy to change the default search engine.

Think about that, Jolly Roger.
Because Google isn't stupid.

*You still can't figure out why it was worth those billions to Google?*

Well allow me to provide a fact you are completely ignorant of, JR.
*Why Google Pays Apple Billions of Dollars Every Year*
<https://www.makeuseof.com/why-google-pays-apple-billions-of-dollars/>

Since you hate all facts about Apple products, I already know you won't
bother to click on that link, Jolly Roger, so I'll quote verbatim for you.

=== < begin verbatim quote > ===

Unknown to many, Google pays a hefty price to remain as competitive as it
is, especially in the US. Let's uncover the full story.

Why Apple and Google Need Each Other
When searching for something on the internet, most of us have grown
accustomed to just "googling" it. Almost no one changes the default search
engine to Bing or DuckDuckGo, for example. So, it's no wonder that Google
has more than 90% share in the global search engine market (via
StatCounter), essentially making it a monopoly.

No matter which phone you use, iPhone or Samsung or any other, you can rest
assured that all your web browsing will be done via Google Search. And this
isn't surprising knowing Search is Google's flagship product and
advertising is the company's primary source of income.

Since Google owns the Android OS, it's obvious why Search comes set as the
default search engine on Android phones. But how come it's the default on
the Safari browser on iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks as well? It's not like
Apple decided to use it out of love towards Google.

Turns out, Google pays Apple billions of dollars every year to remain the
default search engine on all Apple devices. How much, exactly? In 2020,
this figure was estimated to be between $8-$12 billion, as reported by The
Wall Street Journal. According to a Forbes report, this figure neared $15
billion in 2021 and was projected to reach $18-$20 billion in 2022.

Clearly, this is one of the biggest partnerships in the tech industry, and
Google is ready to pay a hefty sum to maintain its monopoly status in the
search engine market.

Keep in mind that Apple controls about half of the entire smartphone and
tablet market in North America. If it were to switch the default search
engine to Bing on Apple devices, Google would immediately lose hundreds of
millions of users, severely affecting its ads business.

You could argue that people can just change the search engine to Google in
the settings, so it's not a big deal. But the fact is that most people
aren't tech-savvy and tend to use the default settings for pretty much
everything on their phones and other devices."

=== < end verbatim quote > ===

Adult question for all the iKooks who say what Jolly Roger just said:
Q: *Why do you think it was worth billions to Google to be the default?*
--
I prefer to discuss topics on the Apple Usenet newsgroups at the level
an adult would appreciate and not at the level of the child-like iKooks.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<kobd6aF2acnU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3156&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3156

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Safari's private mode
Date: 6 Oct 2023 21:40:26 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:40 UTC

On 2023-10-06, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>>> Apple will sell out its users' privacy to the highest bidder, which,
>>> for now, happens to be Google and not Microsoft. Yes. It really is
>>> that simple.
>>
>> TIL choosing a default search engine and letting users change it is
>> "selling out users' privacy".
>
> Blah blah blah blah

You bore me.

JR

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufq6ao$1712r$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3157&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3157

From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:47:36 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 23:47 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

>> Blah blah blah blah
>
> You bore me.

Classic.

Like a pet dog, any fact about Apple selling users' privacy to Google to
the tune of $20B currently, is something that Jolly Roger can't fathom.

And Jolly Roger wonders why I say his IQ is about that of my pet dog.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<kobljdF45mgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3158&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3158

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Safari's private mode
Date: 7 Oct 2023 00:03:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:03 UTC

On 2023-10-06, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>>> Blah blah blah blah
>>
>> You bore me.
>
> Blah blah blah

*YAWN* You still blabbing away?

JR

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<ufq8tv$1v92s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3159&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3159

From: nuh-uh@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Safari's private mode
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:31:58 -0700
 by: Alan - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:31 UTC

On 2023-10-06 16:47, Wally J wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>>> Blah blah blah blah
>>
>> You bore me.
>
> Classic.
>
> Like a pet dog, any fact about Apple selling users' privacy to Google to
> the tune of $20B currently, is something that Jolly Roger can't fathom.

Apple doesn't force anyone to use Google for search, Arlen...

....or did your low-IQ prevent you from realizing that?

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<bI1UM.16121$xTV9.15881@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3160&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3160

Safari's private mode
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:34:15 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:34 UTC

On 2023-10-06 20:31, Alan wrote:
> On 2023-10-06 16:47, Wally J wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

>>> You bore me.
>>
>> Classic.
>>
>> Like a pet dog, any fact about Apple selling users' privacy to Google to
>> the tune of $20B currently, is something that Jolly Roger can't fathom.
>
> Apple doesn't force anyone to use Google for search, Arlen...
>
> ...or did your low-IQ prevent you from realizing that?

It's not an IQ problem.

Not saying it doesn't have an IQ problem.

There are many other problems it has beyond that.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: iOS 17 Apple considered ditching Google for DuckDuckGo in Safari's private mode

<E1462157.2034%usenet@dorper.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3161&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3161

From: usenet@dorper.me (Dorper)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Safari's private mode
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 20:40:55 -0700
Safari's private mode
 by: Dorper - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 03:40 UTC

On 10/6/23, 2:05 PM, in article ufpsrm$16hst$1@paganini.bofh.team, "Wally J"
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> (mucho texto)

Does Google let you change the Pixel Launcher search bar search engine or
disable it?