From: walterjones@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Apple announces entry-level Apple Pencil with USB-C charging
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:33:29 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/17/23919994/apple-pencil-stylus-usb-c-price-updates
Apple announces entry-level Apple Pencil with USB-C charging

The iPad accessory will cost $79 and comes with a sliding cap that reveals
the USB-C port. It also attaches magnetically to the side edge of an iPad -
even the 10th-generation model Apple released last year.

The device doesn't support pressure sensitivity, wireless pairing and
charging, or the double-tap feature that lets you switch between tools.
However, it still supports hover with M2 models of the iPad Pro.

The first Apple Pencil model used a Lightning connector that jutted out of
it to plug into your iPad's port for charging, while the second-gen model
charged wirelessly and isn't compatible with the 10th-generation iPad Apple
released last year, leaving owners of that iPad with not-great options.

The USB-C Apple Pencil is compatible with a range of iPads, including the
third to sixth generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the first to fourth
generation 11-inch iPad Pro, the fourth and fifth generation iPad Air, the
10th gen iPad, and the sixth gen iPad Mini.

Apple released a second version of the Apple Pencil in 2018, named the
Apple Pencil 2. It added features like wireless charging (meaning you
didn't have to plug it into an iPad to charge it), a way to magnetically
attach to the side of supported iPads (meaning it had a flat edge that
prevented it from rolling off a table), and support for gesture controls
for things like switching tools while using an app.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to contribute to the overall tribal knowledge value of the newsgroup.

Re: Apple announces entry-level Apple Pencil with USB-C charging

<ugmk78$3468g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3188&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3188

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:36:23 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:36 UTC

On 10/17/23 12:33, Wally J wrote:
> Apple released a second version of the Apple Pencil in 2018, named the
> Apple Pencil 2. It added features like wireless charging (meaning you
> didn't have to plug it into an iPad to charge it), a way to magnetically
> attach to the side of supported iPads (meaning it had a flat edge that
> prevented it from rolling off a table), and support for gesture controls
> for things like switching tools while using an app.

Both of those things feel like they should've been implemented already
(or at least a way to charge without using an iPad)

Re: Apple announces entry-level Apple Pencil with USB-C charging

<bf676a26-7e12-492c-b1b3-7f2bd80798ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3189&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3189

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduhdah@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:56 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 8:36:26 PM UTC+2, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 10/17/23 12:33, Wally J wrote:
> > Apple released a second version of the Apple Pencil in 2018, named the
> > Apple Pencil 2. It added features like wireless charging (meaning you
> > didn't have to plug it into an iPad to charge it), a way to magnetically
> > attach to the side of supported iPads (meaning it had a flat edge that
> > prevented it from rolling off a table), and support for gesture controls
> > for things like switching tools while using an app.
> Both of those things feel like they should've been implemented already
> (or at least a way to charge without using an iPad)
> --
> user <candycane> is generated from /dev/urandom

Somehow apple still hasn't figured out that people might want to assign
undo to the gesture controls. But at least the ipad pencil doesn't seem to leave
scratches on the screen like that wacom stylus.

Re: Apple announces entry-level Apple Pencil with USB-C charging

<kp8panFe6s6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=3190&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3190

From: jollyroger@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.ipad
Date: 18 Oct 2023 01:05:27 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 01:05 UTC

On 2023-10-17, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>> Apple released a second version of the Apple Pencil in 2018, named
>> the Apple Pencil 2. It added features like wireless charging (meaning
>> you didn't have to plug it into an iPad to charge it), a way to
>> magnetically attach to the side of supported iPads (meaning it had a
>> flat edge that prevented it from rolling off a table), and support
>> for gesture controls for things like switching tools while using an
>> app.
>
> Both of those things feel like they should've been implemented already
> (or at least a way to charge without using an iPad)

They were implemented 5 years ago in 2018. Read what you replied to
again.

JR