UNIX enhancements aren't.

computers / comp.os.vms / Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

SubjectAuthor
* Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessJay E. Morris
`* Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessSimon Clubley
 +* Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessbill
 |`* Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessSubcommandante XDelta
 | +* Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessbill
 | |`- Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessSingle Stage to Orbit
 | `- Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessSingle Stage to Orbit
 `- Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet accessSingle Stage to Orbit

1
Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<ulgb4a$1k6bt$1@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32169&group=comp.os.vms#32169

From: morrisj@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:45:46 -0600
 by: Jay E. Morris - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:45 UTC

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1

Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
Groups.

In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
servers.

This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<ulhj1l$1ti32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32175&group=comp.os.vms#32175

From: clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:07:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:07 UTC

On 2023-12-14, Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google?s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.
>
> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

They appear to have pulled it forward a week to 15-Feb-2024.

I'm impressed there's still someone left at Google who knows what NNTP is.

Simon.

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<ku336tFapj3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32177&group=comp.os.vms#32177

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:38:37 -0500
 by: bill - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:38 UTC

On 12/15/2023 8:07 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2023-12-14, Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google?s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.
>
> They appear to have pulled it forward a week to 15-Feb-2024.
>
> I'm impressed there's still someone left at Google who knows what NNTP is.

Now, perhaps, USENET can get back to its real purpose....

bill

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<a92bfd1f06f2888e565b7d46613ef333a113cbe9.camel@munted.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32184&group=comp.os.vms#32184

From: alex.buell@munted.eu (Single Stage to Orbit)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:19:43 +0000
 by: Single Stage to Orbi - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:19 UTC

On Fri, 2023-12-15 at 13:07 +0000, Simon Clubley wrote:

> I'm impressed there's still someone left at Google who knows what
> NNTP is.

About feckin' time they woke up!
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<iplpnitvenvatli18gd0qe40n8idimd270@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32191&group=comp.os.vms#32191

From: vlf@star.enet.dec.com (Subcommandante XDelta)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 09:46:52 +1100
 by: Subcommandante XDelt - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:46 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:38:37 -0500, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 12/15/2023 8:07 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
>> On 2023-12-14, Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>>
>>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>>> Groups.
: :

>> I'm impressed there's still someone left at Google who knows what NNTP is.
>>

>Now, perhaps, USENET can get back to its real purpose....
>
>bill

Yes, discussing matters VMS!

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<ku4cicFapj2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32193&group=comp.os.vms#32193

From: bill.gunshannon@gmail.com (bill)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:24:29 -0500
 by: bill - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 01:24 UTC

On 12/15/2023 5:46 PM, Subcommandante XDelta wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 08:38:37 -0500, bill <bill.gunshannon@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> :
> :
>>>
>>> I'm impressed there's still someone left at Google who knows what NNTP is.
>>>

>> Now, perhaps, USENET can get back to its real purpose....
>>
>> bill
>>

> Yes, discussing matters VMS!

And COBOL and CP/M and OS-9 etc.

bill

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<903c0ea7edc8e848c94cb16d4441d88ed7c7209d.camel@munted.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32226&group=comp.os.vms#32226

From: alex.buell@munted.eu (Single Stage to Orbit)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:33:31 +0000
 by: Single Stage to Orbi - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:33 UTC

On Sat, 2023-12-16 at 09:46 +1100, Subcommandante XDelta wrote:
> Yes, discussing matters VMS!

In the meantime I invoked a global shitlist on anything coming out of
Google in LeafNode (Injection-Info: google*) which seems to have nuked
all the miscreant postings.

Once google groups shuts down for good, I'll remove this.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Re: Google groups shutting off posting/usenet access

<1af39c87fd12d94fbdb45b7003debc4312c741d9.camel@munted.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/computers/article-flat.php?id=32227&group=comp.os.vms#32227

From: alex.buell@munted.eu (Single Stage to Orbit)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:31:34 +0000
 by: Single Stage to Orbi - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:31 UTC

On Fri, 2023-12-15 at 20:24 -0500, bill wrote:

> > > Now, perhaps, USENET can get back to its real purpose....
> > >
> > > bill
> > >

> > Yes, discussing matters VMS!
>
> And COBOL and CP/M and OS-9 etc.

And MS-DOG. :-D